• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

GuvjbDK.gif

★★★☆☆ / Plot twist: The world is enough

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
For various reasons I was able to take a halfday yesterday and popped in for a matinee of Deadpool & Wolverine - my second watch.

Such a fun movie. I love how

The opening credits are basically Deadpool performing a music video for the theater audience to NSYNC's Bye Bye Bye as he murders a legion of TVA agents with Logan's skeleton. Ryan Reynolds really committed to them dance moves too. He was hitting those dance beats better than NSYNC ever did themselves

Cassandra Nova is such a delicious villain.

The opening credits are basically Deadpool performing a music video for the theater audience to NSYNC's Bye Bye Bye as he murders a legion of TVA agents with Logan's skeleton. Ryan Reynolds really committed to them dance moves too. He was hitting those dance beats better than NSYNC ever did themselves

Doom85

Yeah, I was also glad it apparently did pretty well at the box office. I like that it's showing Hollywood that there is an audience for these types of movies

Been a good summer box office performance for a nice variety of films. Deadpool, Inside Out, Twisters, Despicable Me, Longlegs, Quiet Place. I’m not a disaster movie enjoyer myself, but I’m glad Twisters did well so hopefully fans like you get some more good ones in the future.

Billbofet

Trap
I took my daughter to see this. Wow, what a wild, ridiculous ride this one was.
This movie takes some BIG swings and misses almost every pitch, but I can't say I didn't have a good time.
The theater was pretty packed and almost every person at one point said, "WTF!", or "Come on!!!", or "HUH!!?!?!?!"
I cannot believe this movie was made as is. Aside from Josh Hartnett, the acting is trash across the board, the dialogue is inhuman, the law enforcement logistics make no sense, and it has about four different endings.

I think I fucking loved it....

Also, one of the best mid-credit scenes in a while.

I also want to be clear: I would not recommend this movie to anyone, and I can't wait to see it again.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Trap
This movie takes some BIG swings and misses almost every pitch, but I can't say I didn't have a good time.
The theater was pretty packed and almost every person at one point said, "WTF!", or "Come on!!!", or "HUH!!?!?!?!"
I cannot believe this movie was made as is. Aside from Josh Hartnett, the acting is trash across the board, the dialogue is inhuman, the law enforcement logistics make no sense, and it has about four different endings.

I also want to be clear: I would not recommend this movie to anyone, and I can't wait to see it again.
Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

Mr Blobby

Trap

totally get you! there's suspension of disbelief, but it's a fun cat and mouse movie. Thought the daughter did well as a crazed Swiftie type fan. Biggest gripe was this is clearly just daddy promoting his daughters career.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
MV5BZTQ0YjZhNzMtMzMwYi00YTQwLTlhYTgtNDBlZjRhYjJmMzJmXkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Twisters 6/10
I liked it. It's nothing special and not as good as the original but it still felt refreshingly oldschool in terms of writing and characters. Also the VFX were pretty good.

Did you like Dollar store Sydney Sweeney at the beginning?

Mr Blobby

Alien Romulus
It's a well-shot tribute to the Alien franchise. It has a great retro-tech look from the first Alien and there's references throughout. You've got some disposable characters but I thought the android was a standout. The sound is also great, puts you right in the movie.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Cabin in the Woods
Watched this one today and liked it! The dialogues between the 'office clerks' alone are worth it. Making bets etc.

Plus, the last 20 minutes were a huge pay-off

There are a couple of jump-scares but they are basically with zero build-up. I can handle those scares the best I guess

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
NmyDA7N.jpeg

On the recommendations of NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt and John Marston John Marston i watched Angel Heart last night. It’s kinda hard to talk about it without spoiling a bunch of it, but it was perplexing and eerie in a really good way. Set in the 50s, it follows a private detective looking for a guy, and things just keep getting crazier and weirder, but that’s all I’ll say. It was awesome, so I’m not surprised it’s a cult classic.

Absolutely worth watching if you haven’t seen it.

NmyDA7N.jpeg

On the recommendations of NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt and John Marston John Marston i watched Angel Heart last night. It’s kinda hard to talk about it without spoiling a bunch of it, but it was perplexing and eerie in a really good way. Set in the 50s, it follows a private detective looking for a guy, and things just keep getting crazier and weirder, but that’s all I’ll say. It was awesome, so I’m not surprised it’s a cult classic.

I love the ending especially

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
NmyDA7N.jpeg

"I got a thing about chickens..." -Harry Angel 😄

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
A kind of pulp, detective noir with a young Lisa Bonet? I may join in the fun as well.

Edit: I appreciate the Apple TV app. Just search for a movie or TV show and it will instantly take you to whatever streaming service it's on that you have an account on. So it's on Pluto TV, watching now

Last edited:

Andyliini

Sucker Punch
Now this was a strange one. The opening scene was good enough, but everything after that went sideways in rapid succession. There are many films where "style over substance" would fit, but for this film, it fits literally. Four long action scenes occur thorough the film, which are completely independent from the main story, and also add nothing to it. Also, why must Zack Snyder's films always look so fake? Even the most everyday scene imagineable looks like it was made with with heavy CGI. At least it had pretty girls is sexy outfits, but everything else was a miss for me.

only 2 stars? will wait to watch for free then damn.
I am ultra harsh on this franchise because I am passionate about what it used to be. I want it to hit the right notes for every ALIEN fan out there.

When I listen to reviews of this film it seems that everyone is let down following the events of Romulus. Interesting ideas were put to the test and they nailed a few of those but ultimately this did not become a gem in the franchise.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

If someone asked me what it was about, I couldn't really tell but it was scary and eerie and I loved it. Probably gonna watch it again, maybe I'll figure it out.
I love this movie. I'm a huge horror fan. The person who made it has a new one out called Oddity. I watched that one too but I preferred Caveat it was just creepy and the set design was great.

I watched NightSwim last night. It was literally about a haunted swimming pool. What a waste of time/10.

SyberWolf

I am ultra harsh on this franchise because I am passionate about what it used to be. I want it to hit the right notes for every ALIEN fan out there.

When I listen to reviews of this film it seems that everyone is let down following the events of Romulus. Interesting ideas were put to the test and they nailed a few of those but ultimately this did not become a gem in the franchise.
damn, i was looking forward to seeing it. i will lower my expectations.

damn, i was looking forward to seeing it. i will lower my expectations.
Lower your expectation and you might enjoy it more.

The Achilles heel of this film is the pacing. It is too way fast om certain scenes. Everything in space moves slowly. Ridley Scott knew that instinctively when he directed the first. Even the title card takes like 2 minutes to manifest on screen in the original ALIEN. You need to effing slow down an ALIEN film. Pacing is everything in space.

Without spoiling anything, this is probably why the finale of Romulus worked. Blend of James Cameron meets Dead Space. The rest of the film you can toss into the garbage can and preferably not the recycle bin. I know that's harsh as hell. Unless you have the characters to drag a movie, you can do that. This one doesn't. Except for Andy. Great performance that actor.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
I love this movie. I'm a huge horror fan. The person who made it has a new one out called Oddity. I watched that one too but I preferred Caveat it was just creepy and the set design was great.

I watched NightSwim last night. It was literally about a haunted swimming pool. What a waste of time/10.
99% of the movies I watch are Horror movies. I love Horror movies. Nightswim was terrible, true. I'm still waiting on Oddity to be available but I'm really looking forward to it.

That's great! It's about a haunted house underwater. Great stuff.

Hrk69

Gold Member
For various reasons I was able to take a halfday yesterday and popped in for a matinee of Deadpool & Wolverine - my second watch.

Such a fun movie. I love how

Cassandra Nova is such a delicious villain.
That wasn't Reynolds dancing

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
shScz60.jpeg

Invasion has been on my list of movies to watch for a while (like a decade or two lol) so I finally watched it tonight after a recommendation from NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Hot damn! What a great movie! It’s always interesting to watch a movie you’ve never seen that’s impacted so much pop culture and media, I can see why this is a classic. I was particularly impressed with the camera work. Every shot seemed framed with a lot of intention, so great direction overall. I also really loved the dissonant soundtrack, it really set the mood.

Awesome and disgusting practical effects, solid acting all around, plus Jeff Goldblum. Super glad I finally watched this one. I freaking love these kinds of movies.

9/10

Last edited:
shScz60.jpeg

Invasion has been on my list of movies to watch for a while (like a decade or two lol) so I finally watched it tonight after a recommendation from NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Hot damn! What a great movie! It’s always interesting to watch a movie you’ve never seen that’s impacted so much pop culture and media, I can see why this is a classic. I was particularly impressed with the camera work. Every shot seemed framed with a lot of intention, so great direction overall. I also really loved the dissonant soundtrack, it really set the mood.

Awesome and disgusting practical effects, solid acting all around, plus Jeff Goldblum. Super glad I finally watched this one. I freaking love these kinds of movies.

9/10

Dude this movie is an A+ Grade for me

It's my favorite Sci Fi Horror film I seen

Also those practical effects still look fantastic to this day

Andyliini

Alien: Romulus

I guess return to the mood of the original Alien movie was long due, since all the films in the series since have taken a completely different tone. This tried to build some suspense, but for the most part has to rely on jump scares to build it. There aren't too many of them, but I didn't feel scared at all during the film. Maybe I'm just not scared that easily. The director at least knows how to use sound and light, those were top notch all around. Thankfully my tinnitus was mild this time, since the film used silence especially well in a couple of scenes.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I watched this last night and all I could think about is Why does Channing Tatum have so much make up on??

Edit also why is he dressed like Captain Kirk when everyone else is sporting a tie? And what is that hairstyle?
X5y2bd6.jpeg
Kirk is from the 60s too.

0b0CoTp.gif

★★★☆☆ / This movie is missing a cat
I've had a change of heart.

This is more of a Dead Space and Event Horizon type of film. it's decent at doing space horror shit and it is certainly not as boring as Prometheus and Covenant. That has to count for something.

So I'm going to give it four stars. Edit: "Welcome the family son." *wack!*

Last edited:
Top Bottom