• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

Just finished Barbarian (2023)

I rarely watch horror because I can't stand jump scares, there is something about them that can put me in complete panic mode. Especially when there's supernatural stuff involved. I can take all the gore but the scares are too much

But sometimes I'm just curious and want to see if I'm still susceptible to the scares.

However, I liked Barbarian but I had to watch it in a couple of sessions. Fun fucking story, they can get real creative with this stuff

I wish jump scares didn't affect me, it would open up a whole new genre for me. Obviously there is horror with minor scares and I would love recommendations

I hated Barbarian

As for horror, I just started to get into the genre around ten years ago. Back than I couldn't handle gore especially involving eyes. Now I can watch most horror movies and most gore scenes don't faze me. I found some really great movies I wouldn't have watched before if I didn't get desensitized to gore

Hrk69

Gold Member
Hereditary, Midsommer, The Witch & It Follows spring to mind from the modern Horror stuff. I don't think they have any jump scares, well not any that I remember lol. Good luck.

Edit: Rosemary's Baby, definitely check that one out if you've not already.

The Wailing (2016) if you can do subs, that film will fuck you up.
I only watched Midsommer from those! I liked it.

Rosemary's Baby is up next I think.

Thank you for the recommendations. I've put them on my list 👍

Hrk69

Gold Member
I hated Barbarian

As for horror, I just started to get into the genre around ten years ago. Back than I couldn't handle gore especially involving eyes. Now I can watch most horror movies and most gore scenes don't faze me. I found some really great movies I wouldn't have watched before if I didn't get desensitized to gore
Maybe I need to get desensitized to the jump scares? I don't know.

Guess I'm easily scared, even when I know there's a scare coming.

I use https://wheresthejump.com/ when I'm picking horror lol

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I kind of admire it more than I actually enjoy it. The part where he kills his 'brother' is deeply unsettling, and the soundtrack is a musical migraine. But the acting is incredible - there are moments in most films where I can almost sense the crew and cameras around the edges of the set, but not in this. It's a work of art.

It's visually nice and has some interesting scenes but the overall story fails to hold my attention. I know it is blasphemous but I'm also no the biggest DDL fan but that's probably because I hate Last of the Mohicans. I think he's a little hammy/over-the-top at times in There Will Be Blood but I do like the final scene now that I've finally made it to it. I don't hate the movie though and I can see why people appreciate it, soundtrack aside.

near

Gold Member

I rarely watch horror because I can't stand jump scares, there is something about them that can put me in complete panic mode. Especially when there's supernatural stuff involved. I can take all the gore but the scares are too much

But sometimes I'm just curious and want to see if I'm still susceptible to the scares.

However, I liked Barbarian but I had to watch it in a couple of sessions. Fun fucking story, they can get real creative with this stuff

I wish jump scares didn't affect me, it would open up a whole new genre for me. Obviously there is horror with minor scares and I would love recommendations
The last good horror film I watched, it was such a pleasant surprise. It’s was only heart racing for the first 1/3 then it simmers down into something a little less tense and more weird/creepy. It’s actually kind of funny in retrospect. I would recommend this film to anyone just to hear their thoughts on it.

Mr Hyde

Unfrosted

Managed about 30 minutes then I checked out. Very weird surreal movie, which is something I usually like, but this one felt like a sponsored commercial funded by Kellogg's that turned into a full fledged movie. Seinfeld felt like Seinfeld and the rest of the cast was just bland and forgettable. Weird tonal changes, jokes were lame, but sometimes I laughed, I just... I don't know. One of the strangest movies I've seen in a while. Maybe it grows on me in time.

Beverly Hills Cop 4

This was a good one. Felt like a classic 90s action film and was much better than the abysmal third one. The father daughter angle worked well and gave Axel some depth and Eddie Murphy was actually funny for a change with some good lines. Felt like a return to form, even if it's most likely a one off and he'll be back with some terrible sequel to Norbit.

Mossybrew

The Ministry of Ungentlemany Warfare gives you pretty much exactly what you expect, a somewhat oldschool behind enemy lines secret mission WWII movie (Force 10 From Navarone was always my favorite back in the day). Its Guy Richie so it has a bit of his cheeky style but I didnt find it overplayed, good performances all around. Fun movie.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Subway (1985)

Continuing my month of cinéma du look. They delivered on their promise: this was definitely style over substance. Big time.

Pacing is an easy aspect of a film to criticize and often done so ad nauseam - but, pacing truly is an issue here. The pacing is just plain weird, even for a movie who's purpose is to entertain visually and through music more than by telling a story. It does succeed in that respect in that it's a bit of a surreal stroll through the Paris underground filled with eclectic characters and impromptu musical performances with frequently changing perspectives. The brief action sequences are well shot and show glimpses of the types of action direction work Luc Besson would eventually become known for.

All that said it was a solidly mid movie with pacing so disjointed that I forget what was going on by the final act. I couldn't tell you with confidence what the driving conflict was and if it was resolved.

2.5/5

Doom85

So I realized I posted my thoughts two weeks back or so about the first two films of the X trilogy, but didn’t follow up on the last one that just came out. My bad, here we go!

MaXXXine

TjDA9Bj.jpeg

“You’ve made it to the belly of the beast, congratulations, very few come this far. To stay here, you must make this your obsession. Eliminate all other distractions, because if you take your eye off that prize even for a moment, the beast will spit you right back out where you came from.”
So plenty are saying this is the weakest of the trilogy. I don’t disagree in that regard, but I still think this movie is pretty great.

The acting and directing continue to be on point. Overall, the story is a solid conclusion to Maxine’s story, but the film does suffer in a few aspects. Some of the supporting characters, like the guy who works at the video store, aren’t in the movie long enough to make me care about Maxine’s connection with them. As great as he is, Giancarlo Esposito isn’t in the film for long enough (though to be fair, he could have been in 80% of the film, and I would still say, “hmm, could have used more Esposito”, he’s just that good). The standout supporting character is the director (of the film Maxine wins the audition for) played by Elizabeth Debicki who plays a tough but fair individual who gives Maxine good advice on Hollywood and its cold blooded nature.

Then we get to the villain:

Okay, on the one hand, it is fitting that it’s Maxine’s father. He was set up in the first film, and it fits with Pearl also having an antagonistic relationship with one of her parents (though in Pearl’s case, it’s more morally gray and Pearl’s mother ultimately makes some good points in why she treats Pearl how she does). But the character is pretty one note and somewhat cartoony (yes, from the trilogy that started with two elderly people managing to kill five young people, but to be fair they handled it fairly believably).

The performance is also just okay, but to be fair to the actor he’s only on screen for the final 10-15 minutes or so. But the character has so much less layers than Pearl did. I think if they had at least shown some level of hesitation on what he was doing to his daughter, maybe she tells him something that seems to reach him for a moment but he ultimately tries to see his plan through, that might help, but he’s just a one-note villain. It works for Maxine as far as her own character arc, but the villain itself should be a bit more memorable.

So overall, still great and I’m glad Ti West and Mia Goth got to see all three films completed. Will definitely be interested in keeping an eye on their careers moving forward.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Eastern Promises (2007)

Simple story executed exceptionally. I watched this years ago around its release and never appreciated how great it is. Glad I gave it a rewatch. The story mixed with Chronenberg's signature bouts of violence really strengthened the movie's impact for me.
I still can't get that butt naked Viggo fight scene outta my head 😆

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
So I realized I posted my thoughts two weeks back or so about the first two films of the X trilogy, but didn’t follow up on the last one that just came out. My bad, here we go!

MaXXXine

TjDA9Bj.jpeg

“You’ve made it to the belly of the beast, congratulations, very few come this far. To stay here, you must make this your obsession. Eliminate all other distractions, because if you take your eye off that prize even for a moment, the beast will spit you right back out where you came from.”
So plenty are saying this is the weakest of the trilogy. I don’t disagree in that regard, but I still think this movie is pretty great.

The acting and directing continue to be on point. Overall, the story is a solid conclusion to Maxine’s story, but the film does suffer in a few aspects. Some of the supporting characters, like the guy who works at the video store, aren’t in the movie long enough to make me care about Maxine’s connection with them. As great as he is, Giancarlo Esposito isn’t in the film for long enough (though to be fair, he could have been in 80% of the film, and I would still say, “hmm, could have used more Esposito”, he’s just that good). The standout supporting character is the director (of the film Maxine wins the audition for) played by Elizabeth Debicki who plays a tough but fair individual who gives Maxine good advice on Hollywood and its cold blooded nature.

Okay, on the one hand, it is fitting that it’s Maxine’s father. He was set up in the first film, and it fits with Pearl also having an antagonistic relationship with one of her parents (though in Pearl’s case, it’s more morally gray and Pearl’s mother ultimately makes some good points in why she treats Pearl how she does). But the character is pretty one note and somewhat cartoony (yes, from the trilogy that started with two elderly people managing to kill five young people, but to be fair they handled it fairly believably).

The performance is also just okay, but to be fair to the actor he’s only on screen for the final 10-15 minutes or so. But the character has so much less layers than Pearl did. I think if they had at least shown some level of hesitation on what he was doing to his daughter, maybe she tells him something that seems to reach him for a moment but he ultimately tries to see his plan through, that might help, but he’s just a one-note villain. It works for Maxine as far as her own character arc, but the villain itself should be a bit more memorable.

So overall, still great and I’m glad Ti West and Mia Goth got to see all three films completed. Will definitely be interested in keeping an eye on their careers moving forward.

I look forward to watching this when I can catch it on a stream.

bitbydeath

You could always try some comedy horror as they aren’t as tense.

Cabin in the Woods
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
The Final Girls
Shaun of the Dead

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Saiko: The Large Family

It's a japanese mockumentary that showcases a large (and fairly dysfunctional) Japanese family, with horror-like undertones. It's very, very subtle "horror", in that you'll mostly just feel slightly uneasy throughout a lot of the movie. There are a few unnerving scenes, but I feel like it's a bit overrated. It's the kind of movie that has a better payoff if you watch an "explainer" youtube vid after.

6/10

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
The Dead don't Hurt - Written and Directed by Viggo Mortenson. I enjoyed the western. It is a good film that builds to what I found a satisfactory conclusion.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
IF (Paramount Plus)

I didn't know what to expect but the movie was so sweet and heartwarming! This is a great family movie (or just for yourself if you're a sentimental guy like me).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Watched the Humanity Bureau with Nic Cage the other night. This was not a great film.

It had some interesting ideas and a fairly good script, but the execution was terrible. Like, home movie levels of terrible.

I don’t think I have seen Jaws all the way through. It would essentially be a new movie minus the USS Indy and the ending and beginning. I don’t remember this shot but damn is this the most convincing the shark is in the film. Looks incredible
Spielberg went ham with the angles in this film. They are everywhere.

large_LONGLEGS_Official_Poster_Full.jpg

I was looking forward to this one, based on Oz Perkins' Blackcoat's Daughter, Maika Monroe being fun to watch, and the positive user and critic response to it. Having said that, I don't think I was hyped, but it didn't live up to expectations.

It's Silence of the Lambs meets Hereditary (I haven't read a review of this yet, but I guarantee I'm not the only one to describe it that way), but maybe half as good as either of those. The story was supernatural and weird but somehow still predictable.

Spoiler thoughts:
As soon as they mentioned that the murdered families' daughters' birthdays were the 14th of a month, and the main character is invited to her boss' daughter's birthday party, you immediately think: "Boy, I wonder if both the main character's and the boss' daughter's birthdays are the 14th? Nah, that would be too predictable."

Longlegs has an accomplice; the MC doesn't remember her past, and her mother is cagey about any questions she's asked? I wonder where that could be going.

Also, Nicholas Cage's performance as Longlegs tried to ride the uncomfortable funny/horrific line like, say, Toni Collette swimming across the room in Hereditary, but whereas Hereditary scared me, I didn't feel terror from Cage's performance. Horror comes from the unknown (for me), and Nicholas Cage is just too familiar to be scary. Had the exact same performance been played by an unknown or unrecognizable actor, I think it would have been effective.

Too bad. It's still better than probably 75% of horror movies I've seen, but not an instant classic.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F6ffab492-98c8-4792-b847-e35fb362833f_2000x1500.jpeg

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris (2022)

Really nice film. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this, I just thought I'd give it a go. Not my usual cup of tea on first glance. It took me by complete surprise. I was really invested in the characters and it moved me in ways I wasn't expecting at all. I teared up a few times during this and I found it to just be so heartwarming and lovely. The feel-good parts felt like I was wrapped in a warm, cozy blanket. It just makes you smile and feel so positive about life really. Lesley Manville was infectious and so likeable, I just loved her in this. Highly recommend giving this a watch, it's really such a wonderful time.

RaduN

Just came from Deadpool 3.

Absolutely fantastic movie. I literally laughed with tears, and i'm the (ultra) silent type.
A little convoulted in the begining, but once it starts rolling, it's pure gold.
Last time i was entertained by a movie in such a way was Kung Fu Hustle some 20 years ago.

Highly recommended, especially if one has some knowledge of those more or less shitty Marvel movies of the past 15 years.

Warning: it is extremely violent.

bender

What time is it?
I strongly disliked it. It tried so hard to subvert expectations that it went full retard. Not that it was particularly emotionally or intellectually engaging to begin with. I can't believe I am saying this, but Siren: Bloodcurse (PS3) had a better plot and presentation.

I didn't dislike it but I didn't love it either. I'm just confused why people think it is so ambiguous. It does have some very lovely shots. I have been noticing a trend in Korean movies I've watched recently with inept cops. It wasn't as exaggerated as Memories of Murder which felt absurd but somewhat more fitting considering the context of that movie.

I strongly disliked it. It tried so hard to subvert expectations that it went full retard. Not that it was particularly emotionally or intellectually engaging to begin with. I can't believe I am saying this, but Siren: Bloodcurse (PS3) had a better plot and presentation.
A mixed bag for me. I vehemently liked it in some scenes because it was different to anything else out there.

clarky

Gold Member
sNzQvqN.png

This was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting. Almost an animated movie, the apes looked fantastic.

A very solid 7/10.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I watched "I Saw the TV Glow". Anyone else see this one?

It was weird as hell.

MaXXXine

TjDA9Bj.jpeg

I just saw this movie and thought it was just OK

I thought Pearl and Maxine were different people? The movie Pearl took place in 1918 while Maxxxine takes place in the 1980s. The movie Pearl is a prequel and tells the story of the old lady Pearl who killed most of those porn actors in X. Maxxxine is a sequel to X, Maxine is the only survivor from X and killed Pearl (Old lady). Thought you knew that

My ranking of the trilogy

X: A
Pearl: B+
Maxxxine: C

The third movie wasn't bad but it was a bit boring and disappointing

Doom85

I just saw this movie and thought it was just OK

I thought Pearl and Maxine were different people? The movie Pearl took place in 1918 while Maxxxine takes place in the 1980s. The movie Pearl is a prequel and tells the story of the old lady Pearl who killed most of those porn actors in X. Maxxxine is a sequel to X, Maxine is the only survivor from X and killed Pearl (Old lady). Thought you knew that

I know that, I’m saying both Pearl and Maxine having a parent they have an antagonistic relationship with is a thematic connection.

Top Bottom