• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

Hrk69

Gold Member
Watched Longlegs with my dad yesterday

It has a couple of jumps but nothing huge. I think my drunkenness really helped because I didn't think it was that scary

I enjoyed it overall. I can't stop thinking about N. Cage showing up on set for 30 minutes of work and make a decent amount of money.

There's enough stuff I missed so I'll probably rewatch it sometime soon

Mr Hyde

Thanksgiving

Definitely felt like an 80s slasher movie, with all the cliches and stock characters that comes with it. Some decent gore effects too with lots of blood and guts and severed heads. The Thanksgiving dinner scene takes the cake though. That scene was kinda fucked up and grossed me out a little bit. Overall I enjoyed it, which was a surprise since I generally haven't liked much of Eli Roth's filmography. But he proves here he can knock out a good horror flick once in a while. Thanksgiving is his best outing since The Green Inferno and it's probably the best film out of the Grindhouse trailers. Now I'm hoping Edgar Wright finally does Don't!

Doom85

The best horror movies aren't scary. They are compulsive and re-watchable.

They don’t have to be scary, but they definitely help plenty in my case.

Halloween is the scariest slasher for me (and scariest Carpenter film) because it nails a VERY real possibility anyone of us could face: someone watching you, and breaking into your home with ill intent. Jason, only mostly attacks at a summer camp. Freddy, is more outside of realism due to the dream element. Leatherface, just stay out of sketchy areas of Texas. But Michael, he hits you in the place you should feel the safest: your own home.

Stalking Michael Myers GIF by Maudit

Blair Witch Project scared the shit out of me, even already knowing it was fake, because nothing is shown. Just the audio, the ambience, the desperation in the leads, and the helplessness as the sounds they awaken to every night get worse and worse, and while I would never have been up for camping deep in the woods before, there definitely was never a chance of it happening after that scene of the three waking up at 3 AM, deep in the middle of this large forest…..and they hear children playing.

Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Hereditary fucked me up for a little under a week. Even when the movie isn’t having a scary scene, they don’t let up the tension with the uncomfortable drama of a family being torn apart not just by supernatural elements but their own inability to overcome their grief of the tragedies they have gone through recently. Thus enhancing the horror itself. No joke, after seeing the film in theaters and then going home, I had to go through several drawers and thankfully found my old nightlight that I had never gotten rid of. I switched that thing on and used it for five nights when I went to sleep because after that long unbroken shot of the son waking up in a dark room so the viewer’s eyes have time to adjust to the darkness and then they see……..yeah, naw, I wasn’t sleeping in a dark room for a few days.

Worry Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Shadow1414

Neo Member
I watch more shows than films. I have seen the Pirates Of The Caribbean films, though. I love them all, but it did start going downhill after AWE. My subjective ranking: COTBP > AWE > DMTNT > DMC > OST. Blackbeard was unthreatning and uninteresting.

I watch more shows than films. I have seen the Pirates Of The Caribbean films, though. I love them all, but it did start going downhill after AWE. My subjective ranking: COTBP > AWE > DMTNT > DMC > OST. Blackbeard was unthreatning and uninteresting.
I personally dislike octopus face films. The focus on Will and Elizabeth's journey into the world of pirates is dull and the lack of a coherent plot sucks. Love the Curse of the Black Pearl and always enjoy the others. I liked Blackbeard, but he is the weakest antagonist in the series. I loved seeing Penelope Cruz together with Johnny Depp on screen again in that film though.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
acisl97.png

Watched this over the weekend. Black comedy, was ok, nothing spectacular but got a few laughs out of me and the Mrs. Watch the trailer and you get exactly what your expecting.

"How do you make a nun pregnant?"
You fuck her!

Don't know why but this proper made me laugh.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
acisl97.png

Watched this over the weekend. Black comedy, was ok, nothing spectacular but got a few laughs out of me and the Mrs. Watch the trailer and you get exactly what your expecting.

"How do you make a nun pregnant?"
You fuck her!

Don't know why but this proper made me laugh.
lool I loved this movie. Very fargo-esque. JGL is hilarious.

808mate

Neo Member
A couple of nights ago I watched Possessor (2020)

It's a squishy sci-fi horror film from Brandon Cronenberg (son of David) that really impressed me.

It's pretty light on characterization and story, but it's definitely a show-not-tell type of movie that's bursting at the seams with ideas.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Re-watching Aliens for like the 50th time

It still surprises how impossibly stupid these Marines are. Ripley explains in excruciating detail how dangerous even one of the beings are, the Marines are like ":yee haa let's be as stupid and reckless as possible"

Kind of takes me out of it all these years later. Even back in the 80's military people wouldn't be that catastrophically stupid IMO.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Re-watching Aliens for like the 50th time

It still surprises how impossibly stupid these Marines are. Ripley explains in excruciating detail how dangerous even one of the beings are, the Marines are like ":yee haa let's be as stupid and reckless as possible"

Kind of takes me out of it all these years later. Even back in the 80's military people wouldn't be that catastrophically stupid IMO.
They're modeled after draftee grunts from the Vietnam War era. Since then we've transitioned to being a volunteer professional military, so it can feel anachronistic. It's pretty over the top even in context, tbh, but it makes for a lot of iconic moments.

MV5BNWJjZmY5ZjAtMjhlZi00M2MxLTg3MmUtZjUzMThhNDVjNmZjXkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

Orphan: First Kill (2022)

It wasn't as good as the first Orphan movie, but it was very fun still. Nice cinematography too. I actually was pretty surprised at the direction this took in a lot of places, it definitely had some shocking moments like the first. Julia Stiles was really good in this, her performance has like a massive switch up halfway through the movie and she really gets damn good. Isabelle Fuhrman hadn't missed a beat playing Esther and she was great again in this role.

BadBurger

Rewatch of Furiosa now that it's on Max (god why did they ditch the far more popular HBO branding?).

I still do not think it as tight and sharp as Fury Road, but it is a nice long action sequence that does not disappoint once that first act is done and everything is put into place. Basically once Furiosa is an adult it kicks it into high gear and takes off never slowing until the very end.

The guy who portrayed Cormoran Strike from J.K. Rowling's detective novels on the British TV show, I forget the actor's name, did an amazing job as the no nonsense veteran who not only basically focuses Furiosa's rage, but teachers her how to be a road warrior in the wasteland. Like, damn, that actor did an amazing job in this role. Chris Hemsworth I found to be absolutely perfect as a wild villain that this franchise is known for. He seems kind at times, and then he reveals that his mock kindness is actually a cruel and cunning way to manipulate people. And finally of course Ana Taylor-Joy was awesome because she's one of the best living actors still working. I will watch anything she's in even if the movie was "BadBurger is a Stupid Asshole".

4/5

Anyone who hasn't seen it: just suffer through the slow first act and you will be rewarded with an awesome hour or so of ridiculous stunts, violence, and Hemsworth chewing the scenery

Vyse

Gold Member
Watched Blink Twice. WTF was that all about. Worse movie I’ve seen in a long time. Don’t want to spoil, but would not recommend. Should have seen the Crow.

Andyliini

Skyscraper

Dwayne Johnson trying to save his family from the burning building. That's all one needs to know about this film, you know exactly what's it gonna be after that. Forgettable, bit somewhat entertaining flick. Not much to say about it.

Billbofet

Longlegs
I was excited to watch this one and felt let down in pretty much every way possible.
It felt like 23 minutes of material stretched to 95 minutes by extending every single shot way too long.
There is certainly craft to the look and feel of the movie, but boy howdy was this the definition of style over substance for me.
I think the social awkwardness of the main character was only to extend the length of the movie, as once the reveal is revealed, it's fucking ridiculous.
I don't hate Nicholas Cage at all, but he was just himself in this, again, and his over-the-top schtick seemed out of place almost always here.
Felt like fanfiction Silence of the Lambs.

Glad others are digging this, but it was a big miss for me. I was looking forward to this and honestly dreading Alien Romulus, and I ended up hating this and loving AR.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Tonight I watched Extreme Job, a 2019 Korean comedy film

BosebUT.png

The premise is that a group of detectives go undercover as fried chicken restaurant owners, in order to keep tabs on the bad guy drug dealer, whose den is across the street from their shop. They actually do well in the chicken business, and their chicken shop becomes a huge success - so much so that the drug dealers move their den, because now there is always a line around the block.

Anyway, it's a fun and extremely lighthearted comedy / action / adventure movie - the type that aren't really made in America anymore.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Just watched Madame Web.

It was crap, and makes no sense as a Spiderman film when no one knows about Spider-Man and it has Spider people living in the jungle. The effects are bad, the plot is dumb, the time effects would probably induce a headache if not completely sober but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. Also I was surprised to see that Sydney Sweeney was the 3rd most attractive person in it.

Doom85

Also I was surprised to see that Sydney Sweeney was the 3rd most attractive person in it.

Honestly the only reason I would ever watch it as the rest of it sounds awful (you forgot the villain, I’ve heard his lines are all badly ADR’d), but all four ladies look pretty fine!

But screw the lying trailers!

Trailers: ”Hey, you want to see these attractive ladies fight crime in spandex?”

Me:

Oh My Wow GIF

Actual film: LOL, just kidding, that’s only in a short vision sequence and they never get powers or costumes in the film otherwise!

Me:

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Hookshot

Gold Member
Honestly the only reason I would ever watch it as the rest of it sounds awful (you forgot the villain, I’ve heard his lines are all badly ADR’d), but all four ladies look pretty fine!

But screw the lying trailers!

Trailers: ”Hey, you want to see these attractive ladies fight crime in spandex?”

Me:

Oh My Wow GIF

Actual film: LOL, just kidding, that’s only in a short vision sequence and they never get powers or costumes in the film otherwise!

Me:

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF
Yeah he's just sort of there. Sometimes he's just dressed like a normal bloke killing, others he's a spiderman in costume, it's all a bit odd.

They suit up at the very end, even Web has a costume but it's sequel bait stuff that won't happen.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I spent time to watch every Indiana jones movie this summer, first of all Indiana Jones has a son?

Harrison Ford GIF by Indiana Jones

This is Indiana jones at the highest level, you have the alien aspect that carries the entire movie. 4/5 underrated and should be embraced.

BadBurger

I spent time to watch every Indiana jones movie this summer, first of all Indiana Jones has a son?

This is Indiana jones at the highest level, you have the alien aspect that carries the entire movie. 4/5 underrated and should be embraced.

I'm glad you enjoyed it but man, that movie broke me in the theater.

I was super young at the time, but still, my older siblings introduced those movies to me as a very young kid and I watched them so many times. The latest two movies were abominations man. The tone was wrong, Indiana himself was off, etc. I could go off on a sad "the kids are wrong" tangent but mang, I hated those new Indie movies.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member

I prefer it to the second film but 1 & 3 are so much better than the rest.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm not sure what in the Lynchian-Cronenberg fever dream cosmological body horror hell I just watched but it left an impression. Enjoyed it so much more than any horror I've watched in ages.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
The last really good film I watched was ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ a couple of weeks ago. Frances McDormand is an awesome actress. I watched Nomadland a few years ago, and she was great in that too.

Top Bottom