• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

GeekyDad

Finally sat down and watched American Fiction.

F72JQ27.jpeg

I enjoyed it quite a lot. I don't think it was a masterpiece for the most part, but there are some powerfully meaningful moments. It's a kinda fluff film, I guess, in terms of the amount of money probably went into making it, but great actors acting great, regardless. I don't know...it's just got a little something that made it special for me. Plus, the three siblings made me think of what perhaps my kids will be like in another 10 years. Lots of similar character traits.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

F72JQ27.jpeg

I enjoyed it quite a lot. I don't think it was a masterpiece for the most part, but there are some powerfully meaningful moments. It's a kinda fluff film, I guess, in terms of the amount of money probably went into making it, but great actors acting great, regardless. I don't know...it's just got a little something that made it special for me. Plus, the three siblings made me think of what perhaps my kids will be like in another 10 years. Lots of similar character traits.

Never heard of this one. Will give it a watch.

BadBurger

The Old Way

I started to watch it, anyways. Nic Cage joint. I am pretty sure this was some kind of tax write off for various investors. It' barely a movie. I feel bad for the little girl in it, who is giving it her all while an uninterested Cage is just earning a paycheck.

It's a western I guess. Whatever. Never watch it,.

bender

What time is it?

F72JQ27.jpeg

All of the performances are just wonderful and make up for any grievances I had in the story and plot.

Mr Hyde

The Union

A generic, direct to dvd action comedy with Mark Wahlberg and Halle Berry. It didn't have a single redeeming quality to it. Sloppy, uninteresting tripe. Can't believe I watched it all the way to the end. I'm done with Netflix.

BadBurger

Thinking about buying The Killer remake because I like looking at Nathalie Emmanuelle.

However, my dude's on the Flimcast diud not seem enthused.

Ah f it, it's only $25

Edit: shortly in, it is OK. Maybe not $25 bucks OK, but I am digging it

Edit 2: good if slow

Last edited:

Billbofet

Harold and the Purple Crayon:
I look forward to a time when I don't have to sit through bullshit kids' movies like this.
I know it's common lately to say, "This movie feels as if written by AI." I don't know any other way to explain this boring, predictable, lifeless movie.
Also, Zoey Deschanel looks like she is three hours out from having a botox and lip injection session - she cannot move her mouth at all. It is also odd that the majority of her scenes look as if she was filmed separately from the rest of the cast.
I am not a fan of her to begin with, but this is pretty solid example of someone mailing in a performance - just dreadful against the rest of the cast doing their best in this piece of shit movie.

D

Last edited:

Boozeroony

Gold Member
Blink Twice: I hated it. It could've been OK if they just tuned down on the feminism and made it more subtle. Actually... it would still be shit. The end is just horrible. 1.5 out of 5

Blink Twice: I hated it. It could've been OK if they just tuned down on the feminism and made it more subtle. Actually... it would still be shit. The end is just horrible. 1.5 out of 5

That's what I guessed so I'm glad I skipped it

It's funny how Hollywood is still making movies with these feminazi messages but they always Bomb all the time now. Doubling down is just gonna to kill Hollywood in the next few years

The 2000s were littered with those type of movies. I'm guessing that all film makers during that time wanted to relive their college phase or something and just cum on everyone's face.

In Japan, it was a good time for the art house genre.

Last edited:

King Mustard

Neo Member
I watched Blink Twice over the weekend.

The film could have been so good but there was yet more woke agenda attached to it.

We get it Zoë Kravitz, black women are strong. But no one really had an issue with that anyway.

The roundhouse kick took me straight out the zone/feel of the film (which I was enjoying up to that point) and the slow motion walk of the two women toward the house made me say 'ffs' very quietly out loud in the cinema. It was just stupid.

And don't get me started about the bloody ending. Again Zoë, we get it, black women are strong.

Naomi and Channing were brilliant. Most of the cast was.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You Don't mess with the Zohan

adam sandler clapping GIF

It's really a fun movie, is Adam Sandler too old to make Zohan 2?

Did not see this 2008 movie until 2024, the narrative around Adam Sandler is he was willing to do funny movies. Making fun of all the different demographics happens, some of it is actually funny.

I think we know Adam Sandler is funny, and in the past several years he's uncut gems (2019) and voice overs.

I just rewatched ‘36 Chamber of Shaolin’. I’ve lost count on how many times I’ve seen it. Gonna go rewatch ‘5 Deadly Venoms’ next.
Its good in showing Shaolin training and choreography but the plot leaves a lot to be desired. In contrast, the 5 Deadly Venoms has one of the best stories in Kung-Fu cinema. The powers and weaknesses of each style are amazing in concept. The frog's iron skin stands out especially. Just casually shrugging off an iron maiden and all manner of weaponry. Yet, it has an overwhelming weakness...

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
SVEN- Documentary about the English football manager. Very interesting, filmed just before he died. ⭐⭐⭐⭐ /5

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Bastarden or The Promised Land

Pretty great period movie with Mads Mikkelsen as a tough as nails Danish against man and wilderness.

Jnexftk.jpeg

This is a really good movie. I cannot state how great the antagonist is in this movie. You hate the guy from day 1 and hate him all the way through. Great drama about sacrifice, achievement, regret, hope, will, and, drive. I think it is one of the better films I have seen this year. I would have like Dub and not subs but it was worth reading for all that jutland settling. ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐/5

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Twisters 2024

Maura Tierney Oklahoma GIF by Universal Pictures

I guess it was a fun movie, we saw how tornados have a huge impact on communities, it's a movie you'll see in a high school science class, on an action level the chasing a tornado scenes need to be talked about, we have everything here from radar equipment, big trucks, I hope they make another Twister.

Billbofet

Rivers Edge (1986)
Saw this on a YouTube vid about underrated 80s movies and I have always been interested but never had seen it.
Pretty great overall. It's an odd movie about a guy killing a girl and their group of friends apathetic reaction to it all. Keanu and Dennis Hopper are great in it. Crispin Glover is definitely making some choices here, and it's certainly interesting. It's a bummer of a movie that seems just as relevant today as in 1986. Glad I checked it out.

kingwingin

M. Nights Trap

way too meta with the trap being the promise of a thriller but we end up watching his daughters concert.

Absolute garbage and avoid if possible.

clarky

Gold Member
TGIFR1I.png

So so bad. M. Nights dialogue continues to hit new lows if that's even possible, and that's coming from someone who loves the Happening.
After M. Night Shyamalan's last few stinkers why did I give him the benefit of the doubt? He won't be getting it again. 0/5.

THRqGGw.png

This was surprisingly good. If they would have stuck Tom Hardy in the main role, you know because its a Mad Max film, then I suspect this would have done much better. Looked very cheap in(a lot) places due to the over use of CGI and way way too long, but not bad, not bad at all. 3.5/5

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
M. Nights Trap

way too meta with the trap being the promise of a thriller but we end up watching his daughters concert.

Absolute garbage and avoid if possible.
I am going to watch it. Because I watch all of his movies, good or bad.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I watched some documentaries on the making of the film and in the backyard scene where Marty talks him into asking Lorraine out they had to put a large box border around him because he kept wandering off-camera as part of his method acting. 😂

This episode that is not on youtube anymore is brilliant. But this series is excellent for character actors.

Not scary? For sure.

A very fun movie that has a great vibe of the holiday and should never be skipped in a proper Halloween movie series marathon?

sam richardson GIF by Team Coco
I don't even know how you can marathon them when they are so disconnected. My favorite continuity is original Halloween to H20. A lot of them are worth rewatching though. Even the Rob Zombie sequel is good in a way.

The Fall Guy:

I went in not knowing this was actually just a romcom with a bunch of action scenes. Not the worst movie, but it seemed really poorly edited. A lot of the humor doesn't land because the movie doesn't cut when it should, and a lot of the action scenes end up going on for too long. There's a 2.5 hour extended cut, but the 2 hour theatrical version already seemed 20-30 minutes too long. I can't recommend this one.

Prince of Darkness:

It's similar to The Thing, albeit without The Thing's advantages in casting, setting, effects, etc. Still, if you like The Thing or John Carpenter movies in general, you should check this out.

Top Bottom