• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Solo

Just finished Episode Two. Fuck, this game is siiiiick. Might be the most atmospheric title Ive ever played. I knew to expect that from Remedy, but this is on a whole other level. Running through the woods is creepy as fuck. The visual effect for the flare gun is insane.

Solo said:
Just finished Episode Two. Fuck, this game is siiiiick. Might be the most atmospheric title Ive ever played. I knew to expect that from Remedy, but this is on a whole other level. Running through the woods is creepy as fuck. The visual effect for the flare gun is insane.

I love the late-80's wood fence design in that chapter too. We're both at the same spot.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I love the late-80's wood fence design in that chapter too.

That has got to be the most original compliment I've ever seen, I mean fuck. Bravo sir.

derFeef said:

No, everything but that, turning on the 360 alone at the dashboard just inundates you. Also, I don't think this type of game would translate well to tv ads, I mean not a lot of set pieces and shit they can show, just some dickhead with a flashlight in the woods.

I mean that last part in a loving way of course.

zero margin said:
That has got to be the most original compliment I've ever seen, I mean fuck. Bravo sir.

But do you know what I mean?

:lol

It's very specifically of a certain aesthetic, you know? And visually, there's that one area where there's a door in a fence and it's juuuuust open (I think it leads to a Flame Cave) and because of the way the slats are designed it is SOOOO creepy.

I don't know, it just really struck me as well done.

Eternia

Just finished this game on Hard, what a ride. Managed to grab every radio and television which I'm happy about but I'm sad that I managed to miss 3 treasure boxes and 3 signs.

Damn all that foilage and fog in the night, I swear every time I moved something in an obscure corner I was thinking in my head there were a couple of Taken just sneaking up on me. :lol Not sure if I'm up for a Nightmare at this point.

In episode 4 where
Barry was constantly looking after the cardboard cutout of Alan Wake was hilarious. Also another thumbs up for the rock stage ! Best fight in the game by far.
Episode 5 was great too,
with Barry covered in Christmas lights and the "flaming eye of Mordor". Having a three person party felt great at that point, saved me a lot of ammo too. :D

Barry is just too awesome.

Although, I wish Alan would
stop dropping all his equipment half the time ! You'd think he would learn after the first or second time but noooo.

FrankT

zero margin said:

No, everything but that, turning on the 360 alone at the dashboard just inundates you. Also, I don't think this type of game would translate well to tv ads, I mean not a lot of set pieces and shit they can show, just some dickhead with a flashlight in the woods.

I mean that last part in a loving way of course.

I always thought this one would make for a good TV ad;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZQFwhS1njM

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Chapter 4 was incredible especially its quick pace/length. Just started Episode 5. It's been an amazing ride so far--sucks that it's almost over!

Solo

BenjaminBirdie said:
I love the late-80's wood fence design in that chapter too. We're both at the same spot.

Definitely. I love EVERYTHING about the game so far. Its everything I wanted in a survival horror game that I didnt know I wanted.

BenjaminBirdie said:
But do you know what I mean?

:lol

It's very specifically of a certain aesthetic, you know? And visually, there's that one area where there's a door in a fence and it's juuuuust open (I think it leads to a Flame Cave) and because of the way the slats are designed it is SOOOO creepy.

I don't know, it just really struck me as well done.

Honestly I don't know but I will pay more attention tonight after it gets dark and I play the game more. :lol

mujun

This is the first game I've ever felt got robbed on Metacritic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to cry and whine about the perceived ,but the score it has on Metacritic seems too damned low.

Solo said:
Definitely. I love EVERYTHING about the game so far. Its everything I wanted in a survival horror game that I didnt know I wanted.
:lol That's some high praise, indeed. It is awesome. I'm just annoyed that the next episode won't be released for another two months...worse than waiting for a new season of a television show. At least, The Signal will be free to those that bought the game new...a smart move to limit trade-ins and, obviously, to get people in on buying new over used.

mujun said:
This is the first game I've ever felt got robbed on Metacritic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to cry and whine about the perceived ,but the score it has on Metacritic seems too damned low.
Man, I dunno. I know a lot of people buy into this average score crap at these review aggregator sites (because they're too lazy to read and comprehend text or they're too unsure about wanting something and trust consensus more than personal feel), but I feel people generally rob themselves by leaning on them for some form of validation. The game deserves praise, I agree, and by and large, it has received very high scores and good reviews, AFAIK. The game just isn't completely compatible with the mainstream game site and reviewer and does have legitimate criticisms that could be leveled against it, but, overall, it's not going to be for everyone...something that I take as a good thing, although I know there's so much fucking stupid pressure for a developer to deliver to that microscopically small and rather homogeneous set of tastes.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The one thing I cannot agree with in regard to the reviews that said anything about it is their comments about a weak ending. I think the last episode is a poor episode as far as the gameplay goes, but the story stays strong throughout the game (and even ramps up right to the end).

Overall, the lowest score I could possibly fathom for this game is an 8.5 (if we're doing a numerical system). The highest would be a 9.0. In reality, it's probably somewhere in between for me personally. 8.75 sounds about right.

MightyHedgehog said:
:lol That's some high praise, indeed. It is awesome. I'm just annoyed that the next episode won't be released for another two months...worse than waiting for a new season of a television show. At least, The Signal will be free to those that bought the game new...a smart move to limit trade-ins and, obviously, to get people in on buying new over used.

And for newcomers to come on board and buy the game period. Hell, even if they did buy it used, they'd still get some money because, no doubt, they will want to see more.

In many ways, Alan Wake COULD be a real success. I mean, I think most people really want to see what happens next, and if they made the next 3-4 or whatever DLC pieces really top notch, and scattered out throughout the year, the publicity is there.

I think this is a game that will have legs............I hope.

mujun

MightyHedgehog said:
Man, I dunno. I know a lot of people buy into this average score crap at these review aggregator sites (because they're too lazy to read and comprehend text or they're too unsure about wanting something and trust consensus more than personal feel), but I feel people generally rob themselves by leaning on them for some form of validation. The game deserves praise, I agree, and by and large, it has received very high scores and good reviews, AFAIK. The game just isn't completely compatible with the mainstream game site and reviewer and does have legitimate criticisms that could be leveled against it, but, overall, it's not going to be for everyone...something that I take as a good thing, although I know there's so much fucking stupid pressure for a developer to deliver to that microscopically small and rather homogeneous set of tastes.

I don't buy into it, it's just the first time I've ever looked at a metacritic score and thought, "This game deserves better."

Either way it's not going to affect my enjoyment of the game (or any game for that matter). Maybe it's because I expect certain parties to use it's aggregate site's score as a means to dismiss the game.

Alright guys, I am about to hit chapter 6. Please tell me it is no more than an hour, I need to sleep for work. :lol :lol I have only missed 2 flasks and 2 pages up to this point. I should be able to easily get them on my 2nd run. I remembered what I missed and wrote it down on a sticky note.

However, I think I am going to save my nightmare run for closer to when the first DLC comes out. I need to play me some Red Dead Redemption soon.

The
bridge run
on episode 5 was great, and the ending was something else, time to finish this sucker up, tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

So far Episode 4 and 5 (minus the garage fight) are my favorites.

Uncle

BluWacky said:
Because of the type of game it is, I think we'd like there to be more meaning than there actually is - I'm pretty much certain it's cracking wise. Alan's writing is just like all those hack authors he mentions (except a million times worse), after all.

They weren't all hacks. I took it to mean that Nightingale just wasn't a very imaginitive person (and it was a way to dump some literary references in the game).

Thought I was gonna finish tomorrow but finished tonight instead, The Ending WTF!!!!

Time to go to the other tread now. But is was an incredible experience, I wish I could do it all over again without knowing what happened. :(

Tokubetsu

Uncle said:
They weren't all hacks. I took it to mean that Nightingale just wasn't a very imaginitive person (and it was a way to dump some literary references in the game).

Yea, I believe you're a bit closer to the truth. Since when was Hemingway a hack? :lol

Said fuck it, I need more Alan Wake and used my giftcard towards the Guide + Making of Book.

I don't know if any of you others here have shown the game to people you know, but I have. I am not just talking about other gaming friends, but to people who normally don't play games that much. I showed the first part of the game up until you wake up in the car crash and walk down to the logging site to my parents and to a girl I know who never plays videogames (well, at least not since Mario Bros on NES or something).

What I discovered was how engaged they became in the story and how the everyday things you do in the game leading up to the creepy night part helped them look at it more as a movie or tv-series. On both occasions they were saying the same things, like "what happens to Alice" and "you can move the guy in the movie yourself?" and "you can talk to the people in the diner, go talk to him over there then!"

I like it when games do this to non-gamers :D

derFeef

ResidentDante said:
I don't know if any of you others here have shown the game to people you know, but I have. I am not just talking about other gaming friends, but to people who normally don't play games that much. I showed the first part of the game up until you wake up in the car crash and walk down to the logging site to my parents and to a girl I know who never plays videogames (well, at least not since Mario Bros on NES or something).

What I discovered was how engaged they became in the story and how the everyday things you do in the game leading up to the creepy night part helped them look at it more as a movie or tv-series. On both occasions they were saying the same things, like "what happens to Alice" and "you can move the guy in the movie yourself?" and "you can talk to the people in the diner, go talk to him over there then!"

I like it when games do this to non-gamers :D
Awesome. I am going to show Alan Wake to some relatives as well. They do not understand games and why this is my hobby (I can accept that tough) so I am looking forward to their reaction!

derFeef said:
Awesome. I am going to show Alan Wake to some relatives as well. They do not understand games and why this is my hobby (I can accept that tough) so I am looking forward to their reaction!
A good tip is to not move the camera to much manually and to turn towards things that are of interest. It helps them see more of the game and they don't get so confused with the camera flying around :)

I've been staying clear of this thread until now. I just cleared chapter 4 last night and while I do think the review scores are indeed fair, I'm personally loving it.

It does have repetitive game design... but if you play it an episode at a time it's really not an issue.

It does run at a terribly low resolution... but it feels like they sacrificed resolution to give the game some of the best lighting and weather effects ever.

There are parts of it that give away it's laboured dev time. The animation feels a bit dated (and not just the faces)... you can tell that Bright Falls is on the disk as one giant map and that they've just kind of fenced off the individual levels.

while that means that the engine isn't really allowed to shine the way it should and that it's doing lifting that it really doesn't need to, I don't think I'd prefer it if the world felt like a series of seperate levels. every time you find yourself looking back onto cauldron lake or every time you spot a landmark from an earlier episode you feel like you're in a single location.

the combat is good (as expected from a Remedy title)... the writing is above par (again as expected)... the atmosphere is I think unparralled.

i'd been playing it on my 50 inch tv, but switched over to my 24 inch monitor last night. my TV's colours are all screwed up (it's a rear projection Sony) and everything is way to yellow and green and it can't be fixed for less than a $1000 (and I can't afford a replacement right now either). on the TV you really didn't notice the bad texture filtering outside of day time, or the low resolution.

on my monitor it's incredibly blatant, most likely cause i'm sat nearer to it and used to play PC games at 1920 x 1200 on that screen.

i'm hoping for a PC release (though that will get slammed too for other reasons) still so that the game can visually be all it should be.

i am glad that they chose to put the lighting, scale and weather effects over resolution... but i'd love to run it at a higher resolution without tearing on something with a bit more lifting power.

Zing said:
Is there seriously an achievement for watching the Verizon commercial on the in-game TV? :lol
yeah there is. i thought it was funny.

I haven't found the product placement heavy handed at all actually.

Amneisac

I thought the game (especially gameplay and atmosphere) was much better than I expected but I thought the
ending was very disappointing and intentionally ambiguous to sell future DLC, which I'll buy, but I won't be happy about it -- let's hope the DLC doesn't take place in the woods so much, I felt the game was at its best when I wasn't just running around in the dark forest

Solo

Finished Episode Three. Goddamn this game is blowing me away. When you're down in the
silver mines and you start hearing Alice call your name
....creepy shit.

mujun

Just finished Chapter 5. Still awesome, though the part where you have to
run across the top of the dam
pissed me off because I was worried about missing coffee thermoses and the like.

feel

Solo said:
Finished Episode Three. Goddamn this game is blowing me away. When you're down in
the silver mines and you start hearing Alice call your name....creepy shit.
And it comes from the left if you're using surround sound, just as you're passing a detour off path, instead of being some directionless ambient sound. I stood there for a little while pondering if I really was gonna go chasing after the voice or just continue on my way. So creepy.

Solo

Letters said:
And it comes from the left if you're using surround sound, just as you're passing a detour off path, instead of being some directionless ambient sound. I stood there for a little while pondering if I really was gonna go chasing after the voice or just continue on my way. So creepy.

Yep, I noticed that too. Its what caused me to explore the left path down into it.

By the way, I edited my posted for spoiler tags, so you may want to edit your quote.

Tokubetsu said:
Hey look! I'm agreeing with Dax on something!
I don't know you?
Letters said:
Thanks, Letters, for quoting the spoilers without the tags. ;)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i immediately began a replay after beating it. something quite rare for a game of this type for me. i think that speaks volumes about my perceived quality of the game and experience.

Top Bottom