• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

MarkusRJR

Just got my pay check, and the first thing I do is buy the collectors edition of Alan Wake along with the Prima Guide (just to be a consumer whore). So far I love the game. :D

I did my part and FINALLY picked this up tonight. I was going to yesterday but got stuck at work late. Then today ten minutes before heading out for the night I got a last minute work assignment. I'm just coming off RDR, so I hope Wake lives up to the hype like that game did.

BenjaminBirdie said:
You've just answered your own question. RDR is rampant all over my FL and most likely everyone else's. It's the monster no one saw coming. I bought Alan Wake on Release Night and still haven't made it through Episode 3 of AW, mostly because of RDR (and a little [okay a lot] of Blur).

True, though I still would have expected it to have at least some showing in the Live top 20. RDR is all over my friends list too. I’ve only seen about two people playing Alan Wake.

It is a little silly that the DLC is still such a long way off. You think that they would want to strike while it’s fresh in people’s minds. That said, it’s a good sign, as it will probably be significant content and not some ‘pay us money to unlock content already on the disk’ nonsense.

REV 09

JordoftheDead said:
True, though I still would have expected it to have at least some showing in the Live top 20. RDR is all over my friends list too. I’ve only seen about two people playing Alan Wake.

It is a little silly that the DLC is still such a long way off. You think that they would want to strike while it’s fresh in people’s minds. That said, it’s a good sign, as it will probably be significant content and not some ‘pay us money to unlock content already on the disk’ nonsense.
well the prospect of two more episodes of this awesome game made me turn my gamefly rental into a quick purchase. I just hope they are as meaty as the original 6.

REV 09 said:
well the prospect of two more episodes of this awesome game made me turn my gamefly rental into a quick purchase. I just hope they are as meaty as the original 6.

They’re surprisingly large episodes aren’t they? I’m looking forward to Episode 4 and 5 after reading through this thread. I’m only now in Episode 3 where
the kidnapper doesn’t show up at the Mill and all of the police lights are shining outside in the dark.

JohngPR

The wife and I are really enjoying Alan Wake. Good game to play together with a loved one. ;) I like how the game is told in episodes like a TV show.

We just finished up Episode 3.

Just watched the Bright Falls shorts. I'm confused. I mean it worked as a mood piece and it was cool to see the actress who plays Rose and the actor for Wake but we never saw the Taken behave that way in the game.

The reporter turns into a buck?
huh?

Still a fun little dip back into the world.

Man, I'm doing my nightmare play-through now, and I just finished episode 3 (which means I get to play 4 next) :D

But I'm really appreciating this game even more than I did on my first play-through, I'm still getting chills on some of the story related items, this game is not getting the attention it deserves which is a shame. The game is truly a great work of art and story telling.

Tokubetsu

Red Mercury said:
Just watched the Bright Falls shorts. I'm confused. I mean it worked as a mood piece and it was cool to see the actress who plays Rose and the actor for Wake but we never saw the Taken behave that way in the game.

The reporter turns into a buck?
huh?

Still a fun little dip back into the world.

You have to remember Wake wasn't there yet and he woke up the Darkness. It was weak and worked in more roundabout and mysterious ways prior to him showing up. There are clippings in the guide that talk about similar kinda stuff with people getting spooked etc as far back as the 60s in the LTD guide.

LQX

Just finished it. It was OK but boy did I get sick of the location and darkness after awhile. Its like you are running through the same place for 7 hours. I really wish there were more day missions in the town as its beautiful.

Great graphics, sound and atmosphere and in my book one of those games you enjoy but cant fucking wait until its over once you are a few hours in and the formula gets tired. I think I would have rather watched 10 hours of the live actions shorts.

Tokubetsu

Got the other smartphone tag. It's Alan Wake's voicemail. Alice left all the messages. Just more about stuff on how their relationship was breaking down, Alan coming in late etc.

Dries

Snuggler said:
They're cool, especially later on but I still prefer the creepy fake TV shows from the Max Payne games.
Address Unknown
Dick Justice

Dude.. Night Springs is also as creepy as shit.

Yeah, pretty much sure that Alan Wake is my fav 360 game. Maybe even the best game I've ever played. There, I've said it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
fuck

i'm moving apartments and lost my free dlc code. anyone know how much it will cost to buy?

game still rocks, though. still on episode 2 :lol

I honestly don't know if this game will ever grow tiring for me. It just creates a world that resonates with me so well. Still have yet to complete it due to vacations and time but it amazing how much this game pulls me into it.

timkunedo

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I honestly don't know if this game will ever grow tiring for me. It just creates a world that resonates with me so well. Still have yet to complete it due to vacations and time but it amazing how much this game pulls me into it.

I just bought this game yesterday for this very reason. I wanted a game that just oozes atmosphere and draws me into it.

timkunedo said:
I just bought this game yesterday for this very reason. I wanted a game that just oozes atmosphere and draws me into it.

What I find fascinating is that alot of people downplay the game because there is so much forest in the game and for me, thats one of the very reasons I love it. Its a game based in reality in Washington state of all places. Its a small town in a forest, what do you expect people? The whole forest/outdoors/small town vibe mixed with terror, suspense, and mystery just hits me BIG time.

skyfinch

slasher_thrasher21 said:
What I find fascinating is that alot of people downplay the game because there is so much forest in the game and for me, thats one of the very reasons I love it. Its a game based in reality in Washington state of all places. Its a small town in a forest, what do you expect people? The whole forest/outdoors/small town vibe mixed with terror, suspense, and mystery just hits me BIG time.

Exactly. There's 6 chapters and in those chapters there are actually a lot of variety when it comes to scenery. I listed all of them in an older post.
Sure, you'll never escape the forest part of things, but god damn, it's one sick looking forest.

skyfinch said:
Exactly. There's 6 chapters and in those chapters there are actually a lot of variety when it comes to scenery. I listed all of them in an older post.
Sure, you'll never escape the forest part of things, but god damn, it's one sick looking forest.

100% agreed. Your in a forest, you will always be surrounded by the forest. No way around it without being totally unrealistic.

Also for those wondering about a third dlc, apparently it was mis-understood. Taken from the devs on the official forums:

Hey guys,

Let me just snip this one in the bud before everybody gets all excited: I know this Eurogamer article claims that we're doing one, but it's a misunderstanding: Matias is talking about "The Writer," our second DLC pack, when he says there'll be a further one out this year, not about a third pack. Apparently they thought he was talking about a completely new DLC thing.

Of course, it's not inconceivable that there could be more than just two -- that'll probably have a lot to do with how the first two do, among other things -- but let me reiterate we're not working on anything like that right now. It's just a simple misunderstanding!

slasher_thrasher21 said:
yeah. once a year, if i can afford it, I spend a week in the pacific northwest.

we camp downstream from snoqualmie falls. we hike to the powerstation at the base of the falls which was the reference for the one used in Alan Wake. we eat at Twedes Diner which is the reference for the Oh Dear diner. we hike up Mt Si which was the mountain silouetted behind the first logo for the game.

i love spending time in those woods and haven't got bored of going back to them yet. hopefully we'll make it again this year.

i loved my virtual trip through the pacific northwest. i loved stumbling on buildings and locations that i knew from the real world that i wasn't expecting to see in game (like the power station).

skyfinch

plagiarize said:
yeah. once a year, if i can afford it, I spend a week in the pacific northwest.

we camp downstream from snoqualmie falls. we hike to the powerstation at the base of the falls which was the reference for the one used in Alan Wake. we eat at Twedes Diner which is the reference for the Oh Dear diner. we hike up Mt Si which was the mountain silouetted behind the first logo for the game.

i love spending time in those woods and haven't got bored of going back to them yet. hopefully we'll make it again this year.

i loved my virtual trip through the pacific northwest. i loved stumbling on buildings and locations that i knew from the real world that i wasn't expecting to see in game (like the power station).

Man, that must be sweet. Minus the Taken :D , I would love to spend time in a location similar to Bright Falls. Perfect scenery, small town next to the water. Some people think of the tropics as their ideal vacation spot, for me, it's forests/hiking/camping; the nice cool air in your lungs.

onken

slasher_thrasher21 said:

I think what ends up making the forest parts so tiresome (certainly did for me and my friend, anyway) is that you've got these huge open areas where you're trying find all the goodies, and progress takes a hell of a lot longer than it should. The game took me about 12 hours to finish but it would not surprise me at all if you could speed run it in under 4, only because we were spending at least half our time searching for chests/thermoses/pages.

Simply put, the forest levels are too big and there's too many places to search, which is a nightmare if you're slightly OCD like me and my friend and want to find everything.

onken said:
I think what ends up making the forest parts so tiresome (certainly did for me and my friend, anyway) is that you've got these huge open areas where you're trying find all the goodies, and progress takes a hell of a lot longer than it should. The game took me about 12 hours to finish but it would not surprise me at all if you could speed run it in under 4, only because we were spending at least half our time searching for chests/thermoses/pages.

Simply put, the forest levels are too big and there's too many places to search, which is a nightmare if you're slightly OCD like me and my friend and want to find everything.

I could see that being a problem for OCD people but thats an addtional thing added to the game for achievements. (I'm the same way cept I highly enjoyed exploring the forest/buildings, etc) Again, lets switch foots here. What additonal areas do you think the devs could have done to curb this?, being a game set in Washington state, in a deep forest community.

onken

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I could see that being a problem for OCD people but thats an addtional thing added to the game for achievements. (I'm the same way cept I highly enjoyed exploring the forest/buildings, etc) Again, lets switch foots here. What additonal areas do you think the devs could have done to curb this?, being a game set in Washington state, in a deep forest community.

Well I was talking about putting restrictions on the roaming in the forest parts, not adding new areas, I'd much prefer a shorter, tighter game. And I'm not really OCD, like most people I just want to beat the game the best I can, especially in this case where you need to find the pages anyway if you want to know more about the story.

Though now you mention it, the silver mine seemed like a cool environment but you went in, had one quick puzzle and left, definitely could have been fleshed out. You could do more actually in the town instead of half of one chapter. Put some caves in the forest, maybe. A valleys/riverside part would have been nice. There's lots of places you could makes areas out of.

onken said:
Well I was talking about putting restrictions on the roaming in the forest parts, not adding new areas, I'd much prefer a shorter, tighter game. And I'm not really OCD, like most people I just want to beat the game the best I can, especially in this case where you need to find the pages anyway if you want to know more about the story.

Though now you mention it, the silver mine seemed like a cool environment but you went in, had one quick puzzle and left, definitely could have been fleshed out. You could do more actually in the town instead of half of one chapter. Put some caves in the forest, maybe. A valleys/riverside part would have been nice. There's lots of places you could makes areas out of.
did you go down that longish dead end tunnel with a page at the end?

onken said:

See and this is simple where its going to be peoples preference. For me, there was lots of forest, but its the things I stumbled upon in the forest. I foud the variation was great.
Old ghost town, ruins, mines, caves, old bridges, graveyard, mine facility.
Stuff like that just really added to my personal experience and I'm really only half way through the game so far.

Dries

skyfinch said:

I also never got bored in the forest. Enough set pieces. A game like Fallout got me bored reaaally quickly because of the colour pallette and never ending wasteland.

slasher_thrasher21 said:

I'm not really an OCD kinda gamer, but you betcha I'm gonna find every sign, thermos, and whatever. 1000/1000 for this one. Not because of OCD behaviour, but because I love this game so much.

onken

slasher_thrasher21 said:
See and this is simple where its going to be peoples preference. For me, there was lots of forest, but its the things I stumbled upon in the forest. I foud the variation was great.
Old ghost town, ruins, mines, caves, old bridges, graveyard, mine facility.
Stuff like that just really added to my personal experience and I'm really only half way through the game so far.

Of course it's all down to personal opinion. But you were all "mind = blown" about how anybody could possible dislike the vast forest sections, hopefully you can understand now.

onken said:
Of course it's all down to personal opinion. But you were all "mind = blown" about how anybody could possible dislike the vast forest sections, hopefully you can understand now.

Well mind blown isn't quite how I saw my response. :lol Again, I'm just trying to understand what more people would have come to expect from a game centered around a heavily forested area. Thats all.

derFeef

On my second playthrough I thought the forest will drive me crazy. But no, it was still awesome. I think it either clicks or not. The frist time I saw Alan Wake I knew I would love the forest setting and it was true. Slasher is right, there is enough variation in the forest, or it´s sub-settings. Maybe it´s just the nighttime which is bothering some?

One thing I want to see in Alan Wake 2 tough: Forest fire, rain, lighting striking trees, animals. There is so much you can do in a forest.

derFeef said:
One thing I want to see in Alan Wake 2 tough: Forest fire, rain, lighting striking trees, animals. There is so much you can do in a forest.

I truly believe if Alan Wake 2 is made, with the time they spent on the engine, and knowing the mistakes they have made with the first, I see 2 outshining the first in many ways! Sorta like Uncharted 1 to 2.

derFeef

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I truly believe if Alan Wake 2 is made, with the time they spent on the engine, and knowing the mistakes they have made with the first, I see 2 outshining the first in many ways! Sorta like Uncharted 1 to 2.
Indeed. *daydreams*

Dries

Would also love more daytime scenes. Just the freedom to explore the whole town in daytime will suffice.

onken said:

Let me get this straight, you're complaining that the game has 'optional' explorable areas? really? So it's the game's fault that you have OCD but not the patience that should coincide with said OCD? I too am OCD and had to get every collectable but found it fun and man would it have been lame if you just ran through a freakin forest tube and there were just sporadic orgys of thermos, manuscripts, and signs in the middle of the road. When gamers really dig a game world/environment like I and many people here do, we like to explore it more. If you don't care to do so, by all means, stick to the path which is rather evident and complete the game.

Sprinkling collectables in expanded areas is fantastic because it rewards and creates incentive for those that enjoy Bright Falls and want to see more of it. In no way does this hinder your gaming experience considering the collectables don't do a damn thing but give you achievements (save the TV and radios of which you don't have to go out of your way). It sounds to me like you want to collect everything to appease your OCD but are too lazy to search for collectables so you are blaming the game for not being comprised of tubes...

SquallASF said:
Let me get this straight, you're complaining that the game has 'optional' explorable areas? really? So it's the game's fault that you have OCD but not the patience that should coincide with said OCD? I too am OCD and had to get every collectable but found it fun and man would it have been lame if you just ran through a freakin forest tube and there were just sporadic orgys of thermos, manuscripts, and signs in the middle of the road. When gamers really dig a game world/environment like I and many people here do, we like to explore it more. If you don't care to do so, by all means, stick to the path which is rather evident and complete the game.

Sprinkling collectables in expanded areas is fantastic because it rewards and creates incentive for those that enjoy Bright Falls and want to see more of it. In no way does this hinder your gaming experience considering the collectables don't do a damn thing but give you achievements (save the TV and radios of which you don't have to go out of your way). It sounds to me like you want to collect everything to appease your OCD but are too lazy to search for collectables so you are blaming the game for not being comprised of tubes...

True dat!

After seeing some of the Bright Falls prequel episodes that were posted on Xbox Live I honestly think they should just go to live action cutscenes for the next Alan Wake. The Bright Falls episodes are really well produced and with a little bit of tweaking to the lighting could probably match up really well with the gameplay engine graphics.

Also, this game's soundtrack is BOSS. One of the most memorable licensed soundtracks for me since... GTA3?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Personally, I would rather they do away with cutscenes all together. They're my least favorite part of the game, for starters they don't look that great, being prerendered and washed out makes them a little jarring and the lip syncing is way off. I've loved all of the in game dialogue, story stuff and set pieces but I find myself losing interest and zoning out during the cutscenes. If there is an Alan Wake 2, I would love it if most, if not all of the story played out in game like Dead Space/HL2/Bioshack.

Top Bottom