• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K10 GAF Season IX Thread of Meltdowns and Sweet Tears

daw840

viakado said:
sweet, more positive preliminary reports on the patch including teamup/crew.
good sign.

also, i have about 14 heads counted for league and a few more that hasn't responded yet.

edit: complaints are sprouting up. so basically mixed feedbacks. hopefully a league gets going soon so we'll have a report on it.

I'm in, but until I know this is going to work I am not going to waste the money on this game.

Smokey

Give it a little more time to see if issues sprout up before everybody commits. Let those at 2ksports.com be the guinea pigs, since I'm pretty tired of being one myself.

If after 3-4 days the leagues that are up are going well, then it will be time to resurrect Season IX.

pilonv1

The guy I played last night had less success than I've ever seen driving baseline, I was blocking shit left and right with Biedrins/Ronny. In fact he started driving down the lane with Iguodala instead of going baseline.

ecnal

hmmmm, i've played about a dozen or so offline/online games and they've really cleaned up a lot of the gameplay.

-stable online connection, yay! better ping/game is more fluid.

-defensive rotations have been improved again it appears.

-man-on-man defense is better, but still not at the level that 2K9 was, but definitely leaps and bounds better than pre-3RD patch 2K10. people still just randomly slither to the side of you and drive by you for no reason. there are also many more iso moves that put defenders into irrecoverable animations than last year. :/

-it feels like the general tempo of the game has been changed, but i'm not entirely sure--for example, it feels as if the default game speed is now more like 48 or 47.

-shooting %'s are way down. blocks are way up (no joke, almost had a tripple-double with tony parker; 18pts, 11assists, 8blocks), they must have changed animations or the speed of the block animations. i'm mixed as to whether or not it's overkill at this point. i do like the shooting %'s so far though. if you shoot over 50%, you've really earned it... unless, of course, you're just cheesing in the paint (which has, again, been made more difficult).

-now that shooting %'s are down, there are still really annoying instances where you will miss an abundant amount of open shots/layups.

-the '2K run' effect is now back to what it was in 2K9.

-computer tendencies are fucked up. boozer took three 3's on me... jennings took 2 shots in an entire game while illyosova (???????) took 15. seems pretty sporadic when these issues happen; sometimes everything works fine.

-better logic in giving players assists

-more contact in the paint (sometimes really weird and unnecessary). the contact in the paint also has had an adverse affect on freethrow attempts. if the offensive player has a high tendency to get to the line, you better believe that all these added animations are counted as contact. playing on HOF with 5 minute quarters, i accrued 18 ft attempts with duncan. every single weird contact animation in the paint seemed like a foul. again, in another game, i also experienced the same issue while using dwight (15 ft attempts).

those are just some of the things that i've noticed to be really obvious so far. i still think that in general the patch has greatly improved the fundamental gameplay mechanics.

we should probably do a test league to see if it works or not...

ecnal

Smokey said:
Can you elaborate on this one

well it's exactly like it was in 2K9. you or your opponent goes on a run where nearly every shot is made while the other person can't hit a wide open shot.

the first game that i started with this patch, i was playing raptors versus bucks (i'm the raptors).

started the game out well, making my first 7 shots, and ending the quarter 7/10. bucks come out in the 2nd quarter and get 2 straight scores followed by 2 straight stops (this is important because i feel like this is what creates a 2K run; successive stops followed by scores).

so i continue to run plays that get open shots, and keep taking the shots. all bricks. in the 2nd/3rd quarter i shot something like 32%, and this is with a disproportionate amount of WIDE OPEN shots. this is also the same slump where chris bosh missed a wide open layup. something like 14 of my 18 points in these two quarters were PIP. i did not hit a jump shot, the other points were from foul shots.

4th quarter was just like normal again. you hit the shots you expect to make, and miss the challenged ones.

i also had this happen in online. up by 18 pts @ half, couldn't hit a single shot in the 3rd quarter regardless of the defensive pressure. had to get PIP to break the cycle again.

Smokey

DCX said:
PheeKnicks is back, good thing i sold the game or i would send you packing first round again...

DCX

pick it up again

sports-gaf is not the same w/o us

i need a few more validations before the resurrection

here's a list of players willing to do a league:

smokey
viakado
cb3
pheeniks
ecnal
azn
konex
chaotic
spaniard
hunter
anachronous_one
kirby
daw
mr.stroke

with 6 more that hasn't responded to my pm yet.

Smokey

viakado said:

smokey
viakado
cb3
pheeniks
ecnal
azn
konex
chaotic
spaniard
hunter
anachronous_one
kirby
mr.stroke

sooooooooooo cb changed his mind

pilonv1

-more contact in the paint (sometimes really weird and unnecessary). the contact in the paint also has had an adverse affect on freethrow attempts. if the offensive player has a high tendency to get to the line, you better believe that all these added animations are counted as contact. playing on HOF with 5 minute quarters, i accrued 18 ft attempts with duncan. every single weird contact animation in the paint seemed like a foul. again, in another game, i also experienced the same issue while using dwight (15 ft attempts).

You should try using Maggette, it's amazing. Whistles blowing left and right like he was LeBron.

I dont know if the "2k run" is back, as much as open shots this year are absolute money.

viakado said:

if you want more people I'll join but game times will be an issue.

ecnal

pilonv1 said:
I dont know if the "2k run" is back, as much as open shots this year are absolute money.

i'm pretty sure smokey and i just encountered the 2K run.

when demar derozan starts hitting multiple 3's and deep jumpshots, and aaron brooks/ariza miss wide open jumpshots, something is up.

pilonv1 said:
if you want more people I'll join but game times will be an issue.
whats the earliest you can play every evening?
if you can manage to get on before 11pm PST, i think thats pretty reasonable for most people on here.

pilonv1

ecnal said:

when demar derozan starts hitting multiple 3's and deep jumpshots, and aaron brooks/ariza miss wide open jumpshots, something is up.

that sucks, I've only ever seen it on wide open jumpers, never anything contested

pilonv1

viakado said:
whats the earliest you can play every evening?
if you can manage to get on before 11pm PST, i think thats pretty reasonable for most people on here.

It's 4:24pm here now, earliest I could get on is around 5:30pm Mon-Fri (Sun-Thurs for you guys) my time. Weekends would be easier.

Smokey

ecnal said:

well ariza does that in the NBA anyways, but Brooks...yeah.

pilonv1, if this does get going I'd probably say no to being in the league for a few reasons. If everythign is like it was in 2k9, we'd be playing 5 games a week and the time difference might create some issues. We tried it with Blackace (he's in Japan) in Season 8 and it worked for a bit but eventually the time difference caught up to the league.

charsace

I want the team I picked.

Trades worked in the test league me and pheeniks made. Online play was good for me.
pilonv1 said:
that sucks, I've only ever seen it on wide open jumpers, never anything contested
2k run is always there. one team starts hitting contested shots the other team can't even hit open layups.

What I noticed about defense on the wing this year is that doing it manually is actually an option now. In 2k9 manual defense reaction times was slower than the lock defense. Now it seems faster to me or at least faster than 2k9. jumping also has an effect where as in 2k9 it had little to no effect on the shot.

Smokey

charsace said:
I want the team I picked.

Trades worked in the test league me and pheeniks made. Online play was good for me.

2k run is always there. one team starts hitting contested shots the other team can't even hit open layups.

What I noticed about defense on the wing this year is that doing it manually is actually an option now. In 2k9 manual defense reaction times was slower than the lock defense. Now it seems faster to me or at least faster than 2k9. jumping also has an effect where as in 2k9 it had little to no effect on the shot.

It's harder to play manual defense in 2k10.

This could be because I suck right now though!

alright, heylow2 is confirmed. that makes 14 accounted for league.

Smokey said:
It's harder to play manual defense in 2k10.

This could be because I suck right now though!
im getting feedback from the 2k forum that its a lot easier to play defense now. i.e., on ball defense. also i read somewhere that cpu rotation on defense is a lot more intelligent.

btw, i should be getting the game after work today.:D

Smokey

viakado said:
alright, heylow2 is confirmed. that makes 14 accounted for league.

im getting feedback from the 2k forum that its a lot easier to play defense now. i.e., on ball defense. also i read somewhere that cpu rotation on defense is a lot more intelligent.

btw, i should be getting the game after work today.:D

So basically it's me. Hmm.

Can't wait to activate Yao and Tracy !

Smokey

CB3 said:
Shannon Brown should be rated higher than Tracy at this point

I wouldn't doubt it :/

I will bring Tracy back to his old form !

viakado said:
wonderful, the total is up to 15 confirmed now.
parasight just confirmed. we'll need 1 moar for an even 16.
who can we convince?:lol

is dark faze in? dcx?

DCX

DCX
viakado said:
i do believe dark faze sold his copy.
and DCX is being a stingy ass mofo and refuses to buy the game.
i got laid off in Dec right before xmas assholes..i just started working, haven't even gotten my first check...now either donate to my cause or STFU. You only want me in the league to knock PheeKnicks out of the first round again.

DCX

parasight

Finally the league is going to get started (knock on wood). It only took 2 patches and about 4 months for the game to be playable online. Jesus, 2K better get their shit together for next year, because I basically bought a broken game. And still, I end up playing it everyday.

daw840

DCX said:
i got laid off in Dec right before xmas assholes..i just started working, haven't even gotten my first check...now either donate to my cause or STFU. You only want me in the league to knock PheeKnicks out of the first round again.

DCX

I'll donate to that cause!

meh, i'll chip in a few.

btw, im only waiting for two responses left.
from ephemeris and diddybop

if you guys can get a hold of either of em and get a response, that would be great.

daw840

I'll go get this later tonight, as long as the test league works.

GIVE ME MY NUGGETS DAMN IT!

Or I will just take the Celtics like last year.

DMczaf

viakado said:

smokey
viakado
cb3
pheeniks
ecnal
azn
konex
chaotic
spaniard
hunter
anachronous_one
kirby
daw
mr.stroke

I didn't even get a PM

wtf.

This League = Adelman

Me = T-Mac

charsace

viakado said:
i do believe dark faze sold his copy.
and DCX is being a stingy ass mofo and refuses to buy the game.
Bolded cat is scared of me. 2k finally made TMac TWac. I wonder if the diving for the ball injury is gone? guys would be out for weeks because of it. viak make me a crew gm.

ecnal

charsace said:
To me the defenders are more responsive and the hit detection is better.

are you serious?

you can drive the ball from the perimeter playing as shaq with artest guarding you.

man-on-man is definitely better with this patch than day 1 2K10, but, c'mon, it's not even nearly as robust as 2K9, let alone 2K8.

charsace said:
Bolded cat is scared of me. 2k finally made TMac TWac. I wonder if the diving for the ball injury is gone? guys would be out for weeks because of it. viak make me a crew gm.
im getting the game after work. chill...

btw, we got our 16th player.
its DM :lol

EDIT: scratch that, we got 18.

daw840

charsace said:

Give me the Nuggets damn it! Your not even a fan!

charsace

ecnal said:

are you serious?

you can drive the ball from the perimeter playing as shaq with artest guarding you.

man-on-man is definitely better with this patch than day 1 2K10, but, c'mon, it's not even nearly as robust as 2K9, let alone 2K8.
To me the difference in reaction time for the offensive player and defensive player in 2k9 was worse. It also helps that the collision detection feels better after the patches. Help defense is also much better in this than in the other nba 2k games so when you are funneling a guy in one direction it is actually worth it. I wonder what affect the off hand rating has on this? Manual defense still isn't as good as college hoops 2k8 though.

Code:
[U]
[B]Gaf handle                 Team                             Criteria
[/B][/U]                              
[b]chaoticprout            [b] magic                     
ecnal                    Blazers[/b]
raging spaniard          grizzlies
smokey                   rockettes
pheeniks                 heat
rinse82                  Wizards
viakado                  lakers                     
charsace                 Nuggets
anachronous_one          Hawks                     
aznpxdd                  Celtics                                               
konex (Cloudy)           Bobcats                                                       
WITNESS2K9               Mavs                              
parasight                Kings
mr stroke                Hornets 
cb3                      Bulls     
daw                      Celtics
DM                       Thunder[/b]

lets do some more league testing tonight.

Top Bottom