• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Holy shit! Just watched the multiplayer trailer and that looks like amazing fun! I hope the PC people getting this can all hop on mumble and fuck about. Should be so much fun!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Eh. After Hot Pursuit i no longer trust criterion on a day one purchase. I'll wait to see what the consensus amongst the thread is.

Eh. After Hot Pursuit i no longer trust criterion on a day one purchase. I'll wait to see what the consensus amongst the thread is.

I think most of us loved Hot Pursuit, so i'd imagine that the opinions toward this will be similar to that. Seacrest Tour is one of the best races in any game. 10+ minutes of driving bliss.

I just started up Hot Pursuit on the PC and was quickly reminded of something that I HATE about Criterion.

I'm not sure if all their games do this, but when you start a new mode or unlock new vehicles you are forced into unskippable cutscenes that serve no purpose. I just sat through probably over a minute of an annoying cop lady telling me how to takedown a vehicle. I GET THE CONCEPT OF A TAKEDOWN AT THIS POINT CRITERION!

If I remember right you are forced into them every time you unlock a new power as well.

W1SSY

Going to pick this up for the Vita. Really need a good racer and I loved Paradise so hopefully this keeps me entertained for awhile.

alazz

I just started up Hot Pursuit on the PC and was quickly reminded of something that I HATE about Criterion.

I'm not sure if all their games do this, but when you start a new mode or unlock new vehicles you are forced into unskippable cutscenes that serve no purpose. I just sat through probably over a minute of an annoying cop lady telling me how to takedown a vehicle. I GET THE CONCEPT OF A TAKEDOWN AT THIS POINT CRITERION!

If I remember right you are forced into them every time you unlock a new power as well.

That's right! The pre-race cinematics that can be "skipped" but still have about 10 seconds of chase camera before the race starts. Bleh.

alazz

Pretty sure that's disguising the load time.

But there's also a loading screen before all of this. I mean, of course they could use both to make the explicit loading screens shorter, but it raises the question: why allow the first cinematic to be skipped and then force a load-masking cinematic, not the other way around?

In the end it really doesn't matter to me, it just bugs me that I can skip the cinematic and but I can't start the race immediately.

iNvid02

Anyone know if the PC version will be limited to 30fps like the last couple games were?

hot pursuit was 60fps, and the run had its 30fps removed with a patch, so its highly doubtful they'd try 30fps again

Xb8mn.gif

I always thought it was odd they named it Most Wanted when it has nothing to do with the other game.

By the way, is the first Most Wanted a must-play? I have it for PC, but haven't really tried it yet.

I've been paying close attention to impressions, and so far this is all I've found.

This Eurogamer preview mentions the 360 version having framerate issues. Unfortunately he doesn't mention the PS3 version, but I would assume that's because he observed none of those problems with it?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rion-game-but-is-it-need-for-speed-or-burnout

Then we have this YouTube preview where the commentator directly states the PS3 version looked better than the 360 version, with sharper textures and colors.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_WzW-yA_DM4&desktop_uri=/watch?v=_WzW-yA_DM4

I don't think there will be any differences. The engine they used is still the same ( but modified ). Eurogamer quote face-off ( Hot Pursuit ):

So if we leave the technical comparisons behind for a moment and concrete instead on the friends comparisons, and it's evident that the core, competitive appeal of Hot Pursuit is at its strongest on console - and thanks to the engineering team at Criterion, the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game are exactly the same, and equally worthy of your time and money.

Anyway, I pre-ordered the 360-version because of my friendlist, but I'm sure both versions will be fine.

tci

The fuck? Hot Pursuit was amazing.
I agree with him. Not sure if I will be getting this yet. HP 2010 was a bit disappointing. I originally got the 360 version but the input lag was terrible. So I got also the PC version. And that had no AA, so you had to fix that with drivers etc. And that's just the technical issues.

Going to wait and check out reviews and gameplay videos of the final game.

I don't think there will be any differences. The engine they used is still the same ( but modified ). Eurogamer quote face-off ( Hot Pursuit ):

Anyway, I pre-ordered the 360-version because of my friendlist, but I'm sure both versions will be fine.

You're hoping the 360 version will be fine. ;)

The prior game's performance has nothing to do with this game's performance. They've clearly added a lot of new lighting effects with this game, and it's quite possible they couldn't get them running as well on the 360. All I know is we have one report of the 360 version having framerate problems, and I doubt he mentioned that for no good reason.

mxgt

Banned

I hate this with a passion and will go mad if it's in Most Wanted

it will be

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lots of explanations that go over my head can be found here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-nfs-hot-pursuit-face-off

Basically, it retains the feel of 60 fps while allowing them to put much more on screen at 30 fps, I think.
It's just a shame they couldn't do both.

I mean, last generation, each successive Burnout game offered more and more impressive visuals. Burnout 1 looks positively ancient next to Burnout Revenge, for instance. They were able to drastically improve the visuals (even greatly increasing rendering resolution) while holding 60 fps.

This time around? It's a shame they were forced to drop to 30 fps in order to continue pushing visuals.

coughlanio

May be an expensive week with Most Wanted on PS3 & Vita, and AC3 & Liberation :(

Does anyone know if Most Wanted has transfarring of some sort?

crispyben

May be an expensive week with Most Wanted on PS3 & Vita, and AC3 & Liberation :(

Does anyone know if Most Wanted has transfarring of some sort?
None at all, the only thing shared between platforms is Speed Points, this game's XP for ranking up on a Most Wanted list.

gdt

Hell yes. Had no idea this was out so soon. Probably can't buy it until a week or two later (moving now and buying furniture is a pain), but this was get snatched up asap.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
None at all, the only thing shared between platforms is Speed Points, this game's XP for ranking up on a Most Wanted list.

do we know how this works? Do you spend Speed Points? so in theory if you share them between platforms you can only buy half the amount of stuff on each platform? Does it impact unlocks etc?

Not having shared save games makes me less likely to buy the Vita version, because I don't want to find all the billboards and little things twice.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I always thought it was odd they named it Most Wanted when it has nothing to do with the other game.

By the way, is the first Most Wanted a must-play? I have it for PC, but haven't really tried it yet.
Seems EA has a fetish for reusing older names. III: Hot Pursuit -> Hot Pursuit 2 -> Underground -> Underground 2 -> Most Wanted -> Shift -> Hot Pursuit -> Shift 2: Unleashed -> Most Wanted.

do we know how this works? Do you spend Speed Points? so in theory if you share them between platforms you can only buy half the amount of stuff on each platform? Does it impact unlocks etc?

Not having shared save games makes me less likely to buy the Vita version, because I don't want to find all the billboards and little things twice.

I'm pretty sure it's just an XP metric to compare to your friends. There will be a leaderboard where you can compare your total XP across all versions of the game to your friends.

I agree with him. Not sure if I will be getting this yet. HP 2010 was a bit disappointing. I originally got the 360 version but the input lag was terrible. So I got also the PC version. And that had no AA, so you had to fix that with drivers etc. And that's just the technical issues.

Going to wait and check out reviews and gameplay videos of the final game.

input lag, what!? i found the opposite to be true. As soon as I hot the D pad to drop a spike strip i was amazed how quick it worked.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-nfs-hot-pursuit-face-off?page=2

from digital foundry:
"However, multiple measurements with Xbox 360 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit confirm a five frame delay - so 83ms in total. This makes the game the most responsive 30Hz title we've ever tested and means that despite halving the frame-rate, controller response in Hot Pursuit is just one frame slower than the 60FPS Burnout Paradise."

Gacha-pin

purchased on PSN. I can't wait to be annoyed by takedown whores at meetup points. It's only a week left\(^o^)/

Top Bottom