• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Hearthstone Tournament, Beta get serious.

Ferrio

Banned
hTHE TOURNAMENT BRACKET

http://challonge.com/40i67tuy

So going to try my hand at doing my first game tournament on GAF, so excuse me if I'm a little shaky on the organization and brackets etc.

THIS IS AN NA CLIENT TOURNAMENT ONLY. Due to battlenet being awful, we do not have a global client and I cannot keep up with several tournies at once. I'm really sorry.

The Tournament Rules.

1. Legendaries are banned. Since the game has recently just came into open beta, a lot of players haven't had the time or money to obtain a good set of legendaries, much less a single one. To even the playing field, I've decided that they will not be allowed for this tournament. If you are upset with this decision, then you are free to continue playing ranked and use them as much as you like. No other cards are banned. If at anytime you play a legendary you forfeit that particular game (screenshot needed as proof).

2. The tournament will be a double elimination tournament, with matches consisting of 2 outta 3 wins.

RULE CHANGED
3. Your first match will determine the class you will use for the rest of the tournament. If you use paladin in your first game you must use a paladin deck for the remaining games in the tournament. After each game in a match, the loser has 5 minutes to make adjustments to his/her deck but must not change classes. You can also make adjustments to your deck between matches and again must not change classes. Playing a deck from a different class will cause you to forfeit that particular game (screenshot needed as proof).

Rule changed from 4 days to 3 as the bracket is getting quite large, even so please don't wait the full 3 days
4. Matches must be played within 3 days when the bracket is first unveiled, and whenever there is a bracket update. I don't want to have to upkeep this thing for months as people take forever just to play 3 games with someone else. If after 3 days a match hasn't taken place, I will make judgement on how to proceed. Several things might happen: an extension, a player(s) being disqualified for no show (posting once in the thread never coming back), Hopefully it won't come to this, don't make this an issue please.

5. Results must be posted in this thread, along with screenshots of the 3 victory/defeat screens or confirmation from both players. If at anytime you think I might of missed your result being posted, please PM me.

6. At any time you have any questions/concerns please PM me.

7. Prizes will be given out via Paypal with the expectation that you will use this money on adding funds to your Battlenet account to put toward hearthstone. Hearthstone automatically tries to use Battlenet funds first when you do real world transactions in game. This is the closest I can get to a hearthstone gift card. I can in no way enforce you to use the Paypal money this way, but putting that money to anything but hearthstone would be going against the spirit of the competition. So please respect my time/money that I'm putting toward this.

Prizes:
1st: 24 dollars. (12 arena runs)
2nd: 12 dollars. (6 arena runs)
3rd: 6 dollars. (3 arena runs)

Rule Change. Brackets will be posted Sunday instead of Monday
8. Brackets will be posted on Sunday February 16th via Challonge. You have until Saturday February 15th to reply to this thread. I will post in this thread when that deadline occurs, and any entrants after my post will not be eligible to participate. So sorry. The tournament will begin when the brackets are put up. The bracket will include the Neogaf user's name and their Battlenet id. Contact your opponent and arrange a match asap.

9. In case of lack of participants, the tournament may be called off. I don't think this will be an issue, but thought it was worth stating.

10. I may make adjustments to the rules before the official start of the tournament. After the bracket has been placed, rules will be locked in and there will be no changing them.

If you wish to participate, please respond to this thread along with your Battlenet id that you'll be using for the tournament.

Player's Class Deck

Ferrio/Ferrio#1708 - Paladin
TheSadRanger/arcstrike#1175 - Paladin
Ashodin/Ashodin#1707 - Warrior
burntchomsky/Brjuntinaar # 1527 - Hunter
Ronabo/Ronabo#1462 - Shaman
bigf00t/Anak#1500 - Paladin
TriGen/DJamesGames#1356 - Mage
Vade/Vade #1210 - Shaman
hobart/Hobart #1152 - Hunter
Emarv/Emarv#1798 - Paladin
ZZMitch/ZZMitch#1697 - Druid
Smidget/Smidget #1401 - Druid
Slacker/Slacker#1730 - Hunter
SixMachine#1693 - Shaman.
Freakinchair#1812 - Shaman
TheProfessor234/Culrage#1227 - Shaman.
PillowKnight/Varb#1190 - Shaman
burntchomsky/Brjuntinaar # 1527 - Hunter
JesseZao/CosmicZJ #1130 - Druid
bunbun777/bunbun777#1870 - Druid
Hazaro/Hazard#1749 - Priest
Barrage/Joehoul#1109 - Hunter
Soka/Soka#1219 - Shaman
Bizazedo/Bizazedo #1726 - Paladin
Einharjar/Ben#1806 - Druid
Cystm/Cystm#1932 - Shaman
Miletius/Miletius#1828 - Hunter
BigAT/BigAT#1796 - Rogue
Procarbine/procarbine#1133 - druid
NemesisQ/NemesisQ#1686 - Warrior
Madouu/Madouu#1929 - Warlock
Shalam/Shalarn#1502 - Warlock
NameGenerated/NameGen#1223 - Shaman
biaxident/ytse#1114 - Paladin
Dahbomb/DantheBadass#1260 - Druid
SuperBonk/Erad#1870 - Druid
Yondy604/yondaime#1175 - Hunter
Mazre/Mazre#1960 - Rogue
Ferny/Ferny#1238 - Rogue

Zukuu

Banned
why can you change decks and cards? :X It's rather dumb imo.
I mean, nothing against side boards, but this is just eh... Rather have them fixed for this tournament.

Ferrio

Banned
why can you change decks and cards? :X It's rather dumb imo.
I mean, nothing against side boards, but this is just eh... Rather have them fixed for this tournament.

Rules can change before the tournament. If there's an overall consensus to change it I will.

I put deck changing in because I thought it would allow players to more assert their knowledge of the game by being able to adapt to their opponent. It also allows people to adjust if they got paired up against a bad matchup.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Shieeeeeeeeet son!

Zukuu

Banned
Rules can change before the tournament. If there's an overall consensus to change it I will.

I put deck changing in because I thought it would allow players to more assert their knowledge of the game by being able to adapt to their opponent. It also allows people to adjust if they got paired up against a bad matchup.
This favors players with a huge card pool again. I doubt the average player playing only a few weeks has 3 working decks for multiple classes.In that sense we can just allow legendaries.

"Oh you play a slow control deck, here let me show you my bum rush hunter deck"

Ferrio

Banned
This favors players with a huge card pool again. I doubt the average player playing only a few weeks has 3 working decks for multiple classes.In that sense we can just allow legendaries.

Would you have the same issue against locking it down to a single class but still able to substitute cards?

Ashodin

I agree with Zukuu. I'd rather favor players by having a straight fixed deck. The more options, the better equipped players will do.

Ferrio

Banned
I agree with Zukuu. I'd rather favor players by having a straight fixed deck. The more options, the better equipped players will do.

In the end there's no way for me to enforce a fixed deck, least realistically. I can't garuntee someone will use the exact same set of cards through the whole tournament or even a match. Could enforce a class though.

Raxus

Shoot, getting rid of legendaries hurts a bunch of decks. Suppose I could try to run something.

Raxus #1252

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How about just fixed classes?

(Honestly there's no way this will work. People will find something to complain about.)

Zukuu

Banned
Would you have the same issue against locking it down to a single class but still able to substitute cards?
Less, as it's more in alignment with the idea of a fixed side board.

Hands down, I'd just let it be a fixed deck. That's the beauty of it, you have to craft a deck that has to work against multiple other decks. We already exclude legendaries, which makes many decks more or less unviable and boosts other decks.

Those crazy rules are kinda cool tho. Next time we could run a tournament "no 2 mana drops" or no "cards that costs 5 or more mana" or "no hero power" or "only minions" etc. ^^

And yeah, we have to trust our little community to not cheat and only run a specific deck. You can have them mail their deck list to you. If the winner has used any cards throughout the tournament that isn't written there, it'll be known in no time when the deck lists are posted.

Vodh

I think it's an awesome idea to be able to switch decks and cards between games If you just lost, as per the OP rules. Being locked to a class sounds like an acceptable middle ground too, I don't mind either way.

And props to you for organising this thing Ferrio!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Why not pick out 30 cards and have everyone play the same class with the same cards then?

I understand that it should be "fair" for all, but I don't know why it should be slanted towards the lowest common denominator so much. Yes, open beta just started a week or two ago, but most of us have been playing for longer than that, since Blizz gave everyone who opted into the beta a key. I'm fine with no legendaries, since I have none in the deck I often use on ladder, but I think that should be it.

Besides, it's near impossible to enforce fixed decks.

Anyway, I am in. Will post battlenet ID later, as I don't know the 4 numbers after my name.

Zukuu

Banned
Why not pick out 30 cards and have everyone play the same class with the same cards then?

I understand that it should be "fair" for all, but I don't know why it should be slanted towards the lowest common denominator so much. Yes, open beta just started a week or two ago, but most of us have been playing for longer than that, since Blizz gave everyone who opted into the beta a key. I'm fine with no legendaries, since I have none in the deck I often use on ladder, but I think that should be it.

Besides, it's near impossible to enforce fixed decks.

Anyway, I am in. Will post battlenet ID later, as I don't know the 4 numbers after my name.
I play warlock. I suffer greatly by the exclusion of no legendaries.
I see the point why it's banned for THIS tournament tho. I just gave reason why "multiple classes" is similar to "using legendaries" in terms of dust value.

btw can you play EU vs NA?

Ferrio

Banned
Okay I've changed the rule on sideboarding. It is now locked down to the class you use on your first game. Substituting cards is still allowed on a loss, and between matches.

edit: Oh shit.... regions I forgot.

I'm sorry guys, this is going to be an NA only tournament.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I play warlock. I suffer greatly by the exclusion of no legendaries.
I see the point why it's banned for THIS tournament tho. I just gave reason why "multiple classes" is similar to "using legendaries" in terms of dust value.

btw can you play EU vs NA?

Yeah, my druid deck has about 8 legendaries in it, so I can sympathize :p I also run a mage deck that has none so that's what I'll use.

Truth be told, though, I don't think legendaries are *that* much better than rares/epics.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm truly sorry, I forgot about the region seperation. That said.. there are no legendaries now, you could boot up an NA client and grind a decent deck before monday.
Not the time nor patience for it.^^

I want deck lists posted for the winner and runner ups!

Raxus

A base set tourney could be fun as well. All cards from the level 10 classes are allowed. No commons, rares, epics, or legendaries. Unfortunately I am pretty sure everyone would play mage.

We can smooth things out in terms of what is allowed as time goes on.

Madouu

Props to you for organizing this, I also like the rules. I'll join just to support the initiative even though I'm not interested in building decks much.

Here's my id: Madouu#1929

bunbun777

Awesome! Thanks Ferrio, super cool of you to do this and to throw in arena bucks is above and beyond. Anyone wants to add me just for friends feel free please:

bunbun777#1870.

Miletius

I'm in if there is room. BNet ID is: Miletius#1828. I assume I'll get knocked out early, but this should be good fun.

By the way, can the prize money be spent on buying packs instead of Arena, or would you prefer it is spent on Arena only? You mention only Arena, but seem like you'd be OK as long as it goes towards Hearthstone as a whole.

Not expecting to win, just want to make sure that the actual winners have this answered before it comes up.

Ferrio

Banned
By the way, can the prize money be spent on buying packs instead of Arena, or would you prefer it is spent on Arena only? You mention only Arena, but seem like you'd be OK as long as it goes towards Hearthstone as a whole.

Not expecting to win, just want to make sure that the actual winners have this answered before it comes up.

Yes, I was just trying to give a rough estimate of what the money would get you. If people buy packs they should show what they get :D

Ferrio

Banned
Up to 19 entries so far.

Who I've recorded.

burntchomsky/Brjuntinaar # 1527
Raxus/Raxus #1252
Soka/Soka#1219
Ashodin/Ashodin#1707
Mazre/Mazre#1960
NameGenerated/NameGen#1223
Dahbomb/DantheBadass#1260
Emarv/Emarv#1798