• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF JANUARY 2010 Pick-Up Post! (Real pics or BAN!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravien56

I thought there were tight restrictions when it came to importing cars ...like they had to be over 10 years old or something, how much were the duty/import charges for it?

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
ravien56 said:
I thought there were tight restrictions when it came to importing cars ...like they had to be over 10 years old or something, how much were the duty/import charges for it?

They have to be at least 15 years old, which makes it a little hard but since almost all JDM cars have low KM's (mine has 80,000km and it was made in 1993) due to the tax breaks they get from the government for keeping their driving down it's not that bad. There are ways to get around the 15 year rule but they take large amounts of time and money.

Their cars are also usually not riddled with underbody rust like our cars are, and they're just generally better maintained.

Oh and the import fee's are around $2000-3000, you have to pay for shipping from Japan to Vancouver, and then you have to pay for it to be shipped across country by train (if you need it to) which cost me $1300 because I live in Southern Ontario.

Desiato

e6wshw.jpg

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Big thumbs up on the Evo and Initial D stuff!

Thanks! I appreciate all the love. :D

Mattlikewhoa said:
Nice Import Bible t-shirts! I've got a few myself! And I see you picked up a R32 GTR. Are you over on GTR Canada forums?

Thanks man! How do you like the shirts? I'm loving them so far.

I use GTR Canada as a reference for info and to find parts sometimes, but I've never posted there, it's a great site though.

Conceited said:
And my absolute favorite pick-up of the past couple of years, my EVO X GSR;

Pictures063.jpg

Nice pickup!! Could you give me some more info on importing? its something i always wanted to look into but never knew where to start.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
TheThrasher said:
Nice pickup!! Could you give me some more info on importing? its something i always wanted to look into but never knew where to start.

Sure thing.

It's an incredibly long and drawn out process that starts with you either deciding whether you want to buy+ship the car yourself, or get a broker like J-Spec to do it for you for a fee (usually around $1000). Once you've decided, you have to make the payment for the car and have it de-registered in Japan so it's no longer tied to them, then it's a matter of getting the car to the docks and waiting for the boat to arrive. If you decide to ship the car yourself, you can find another person on the internet to split a shipping crate with to save money.

Once the car makes it over here (takes about 1-3 months all told) and is landed in Vancouver, you either have to go pick the car up yourself from the port or have a company pick it up for you and put it on a train to wherever you live.

When you get the car you have to get it up to your provincial standards, some provinces require DOT approved headlights, DOT tires and etc. Some like Ontario don't require anything except that it passes a safety. Dealing with the registration in Canada is a whole other beast, people working at the registration really don't want to deal with your crazy JDM vin and they make it as hard as possible for you to get your car registered.

As far as driving goes, right hand drive isn't that difficult, but it's really hard to pass another car, and it's even harder making left turns at a light since you have no way of seeing if a car is coming.

Insurance is VERY cheap for me because I have it registered as my second car that I use for recreational driving, and it's also registered as a classic, so I pay about $18/month for insurance which is nothing compared to my EVO. :lol

That's a very brief explanation, but if you'd like to know more feel free to PM me with any questions. :)

Frester

Gummy Panda said:
I got an early birthday present. Sorry for bad image quality as digital camera is on lend to a friend and had to use iphone.

I just picked up a Classic Controller, but I've always wondered where everyone posting them on GAF got these.

@Conceited lol, you confused me at first with your car pics, I thought the interior was of the same car and noticed the steering wheel switched. :lol

Alucrid

Banned
@Conceited: Where did you buy the studio Ghibli collection? I found some for >$20 but I fear that they're bootlegs.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Blue Heeler said:
@Conceited lol, you confused me at first with your car pics, I thought the interior was of the same car and noticed the steering wheel switched. :lol

:lol

I can definitely see how one would make that mistake, guess I should make it more clear.

Gummy Panda

Neo Member
Frester said:
I just picked up a Classic Controller, but I've always wondered where everyone posting them on GAF got these.
Japanese sellers in eBay. There seems to be around 4-5 up at a time.

Not cheap but I do like my SNES VC :)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Alucrid said:
@Conceited: Where did you buy the studio Ghibli collection? I found some for >$20 but I fear that they're bootlegs.
His are probably bootlegs too.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Alucrid said:

I bought it off Ebay a while ago from a seller who has since quit Ebay, which is a shame because they had over 3000 feedback and they were still at 100%. I paid ~$40 CAD which I think was a good deal at the time considering it was brand new.

I just checked Ebay and most of the sellers of the collection seem to be from Malaysia, not sure I'd be comfortable with buying from them but you should get the collection however you can, it's 100% worth it.

Alucrid

Banned
Conceited said:
I bought it off Ebay a while ago from a seller who has since quit Ebay, which is a shame because they had over 3000 feedback and they were still at 100%. I paid ~$40 CAD which I think was a good deal at the time considering it was brand new.

I just checked Ebay and most of the sellers of the collection seem to be from Malaysia, not sure I'd be comfortable with buying from them but you should get the collection however you can, it's 100% worth it.

BocoDragon said:
His are probably bootlegs too.

Yeah, I really want it but have no clue how to tell if it's bootlegged or not, especially stuff that's on ebay.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Alucrid said:
Yeah, I really want it but have no clue how to tell if it's bootlegged or not, especially stuff that's on ebay.
Was there any official Ghibli collection? I doubt it. If it's a collection, it's probably a bootleg.

Alucrid

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Was there any official Ghibli collection? I doubt it. If it's a collection, it's probably a bootleg.

I couldn't find any official info on it. I guess I'll stick with buying them separately now.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
BocoDragon said:

Well it is on Amazon.

Edit: I'm actually interested in finding out now...is there anyone who knows enough about Ghibli to make a call on whether this is real or not? If it's bootleg I'm just gonna toss it in the trash and go out and buy the movies separately. (although I have most of them already anyways)

It certainly seems authentic, it has menu's with Ghibli art work all over them, and the films do not look like rips, they actually look great, the subs are great, and the audio is authentic.

vid

Dibbz said:
Cool Snake figure. Got any pics of it out of the box? Also what's that coin at the top?

Nah, no out of the box shots yet. Otacon has been in his packaging for at least three years now, Snake will probably remain in his plastic tomb as well. Although, your post did make me very nearly tear them both open and set them up next to my Big Daddy. The "coin" at the top is a sticker that indicates that this particular Snake pose is apparently a Toys R Us exclusive. Surprised the heck out of me, that's for sure.

.... *eyes Snake and Otacon and the empty space near Big Daddy*

S. L.

Conceited said:
Well it is on Amazon.

Edit: I'm actually interested in finding out now...is there anyone who knows enough about Ghibli to make a call on whether this is real or not? If it's bootleg I'm just gonna toss it in the trash and go out and buy the movies separately. (although I have most of them already anyways)

It certainly seems authentic, it has menu's with Ghibli art work all over them, and the films do not look like rips, they actually look great, the subs are great, and the audio is authentic.
looks 100% bootleg

it has the typical bootleg box and more than 1 movie per disc are pretty much a giveaway

edit:
a bit of googling indeed reveals that this is a bootleg
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/feedback/faq.html#recentissues
these are the legit collection sets
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/video/ghibli/ippai.html

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Foolproof way to tell if your "Japanese import DVDs" are genuine article:

Was it a good deal? Y/N

If yes, then it is a bootleg. Actual J-DVDs are hilariously overpriced.

mephesta

^Seriously. I always knew they were expensive but had no idea just how much so until I went 6 months ago. Blu-ray ~$50/movie, DVD ~ $30-40, CDs ~ $20-$30 (album). Blu-ray anime is laughable; Series ~ $300, 1 episode ~ $50.

But when your home loan rate is ~ .001 - .005* you can afford the extra price for media I guess.

*I think that is correct but don't quote me on it. It is just what I heard from a friend.

Conceited said:
Thanks man! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. :D
You def aren't the only one. I just haven't had the opportunity to post any car related stuff other than in things like the Forza thread, lol.

OMG Aero

Posted in the wrong thread before but here goes again.
Bit of a weird pick up for me today, I've been watching the Giant Bomb Endurance run for the past month and found myself really enjoying it so I decided to buckle and get my first ever Sony console so I could play Persona 4 and other totally unrelated games (I got Sonic so I could see why everyone likes Sonic CD so much).
PS2.jpg

Too bad it came with the worst control pad ever.
PS2Pad.jpg

There is no cover thing on the right analog stick and if you such much as tap it it automatically pulls all the way to the right so I'm gonna take it back tomorrow and see if I can get it replaced.

SmZA

OMG Aero said:
Bit of a weird pick up for me today, I've been watching the Giant Bomb Endurance run for the past month and found myself really enjoying it so I decided to buckle and get my first ever Sony console so I could play Persona 4 and other totally unrelated games (I got Sonic so I could see why everyone likes Sonic CD so much).

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af258/omgaero/Pick-Up/PS2.jpg
You're in good company!

Alpha_eX

OMG Aero said:
PS2.jpg

PS2Pad.jpg

There is no cover thing on the right analog stick and if you such much as tap it it automatically pulls all the way to the right so I'm gonna take it back tomorrow and see if I can get it replaced.

CEX is a dump, the ones in London are really dodgy, wouldn't be my first choice of place to buy anything.

spats

OMG Aero said:
PS2Pad.jpg

Shame the controller is so mangled. (I don't think it's even possible to get the rubber coating off the stick without intentionally trying to remove it :I)

Anyway, nice to see MGS2 there. I wish I could play it for the first time again!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
20100121-rapm4c3pg364c922tfwqjim9jp.jpg

Just got a new left-handed Schecter 7-string Hellraiser FR and a Line 6 75-watt amp. Combined, they sound absolutely heavenly in a loud and disgusting way.

Not pictured: District 9, Zombieland and Inglorious Basterds on Blu-ray.

edgefusion

Alpha_eX said:
CEX is a dump, the ones in London are really dodgy, wouldn't be my first choice of place to buy anything.

The one at Camden Town is really nice, I got a brand new Dragon Age there (with both promo codes) for £15.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Valkyr Junkie said:
Conceited, where'd you get that Z shirt? And please tell me it's available in a color other than teal.

It's actually a really dark green in person, that's just the way it decided to show up with my Camera.

Anyways, I got all those car shirts from www.importbible.com. They also have the Z shirt in red but it's all sold out unfortunately. He has smalls and XL's left over for the green Z shirt though.

He does his shirts in series' and they almost always sell out so it's hard to get the older ones.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
rockmang15 said:
Another in the Gameroom! Personal favorite, and got a great deal too!

*Awesomeness*

That makes 11! Oh Boy! running low on space!!!!!!!

High five on that one, just seeing that station caused a rush of nostalgia.

OMG Aero

Alpha_eX said:
Tell me about it. I actually got the PS2 from Game and Persona 4 from eBay.
I never shop at Cex but I have to admit that their PS2 game prices were ridiculously low. I mean, I have paid more for some common N64 games on eBay than I did for MGS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom