• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1

Masked Man

I said wow
Masked Man v. Schattenjagger

Match 1: M@ (Lucas) v. SNOW (Link)
Arena: Yoshi's Island
Victor: M@

Match 2: M@ (Lucas) v. SNOW (Link)
Arena: Bridge of Eldin
Victor: M@

Great job to Schattenjagger! :D

Jiggy

I'd like Flat Zone 2 so much if not for those murderous chair people with their murderous chairs of murderous pinball. D:

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard vs. Keru_Shiri

Round 1: Blizzard (Kirby) wins vs. Keru_Shiri (Ike) on Yoshi's Island
Round 2: Keru_Shiri (Pikachu) wins vs. Blizzard (Kirby) on Battlefield
Round 3: Blizzard (Kirby) wins vs. Keru_Shiri (Pikachu) on Smashville

Unfortunately, there was intermittant lag...I forgot to lagtest beforehand, and it seemed to work okay most of the time, with lag just cutting in. Sadly, a couple of those times killed keru, since he missed pikachu's double recover. :/ Close games though...good job.

So do I immediately try to find who I'm supposed to end up against next?

Teknoman

Blizzard said:
Blizzard vs. Keru_Shiri

Round 2: Keru_Shiri (Pikachu) wins vs. Keru_Shiri (Pikachu) on Battlefield

Unfortunately, there was intermittant lag...I forgot to lagtest beforehand, and it seemed to work okay most of the time, with lag just cutting in. Sadly, a couple of those times killed keru, since he missed pikachu's double recover. :/ Close games though...good job.

So do I immediately try to find who I'm supposed to end up against next?

Wait wait, weren't we supposed to just fight twice if one person won both matches? I mean if it's best out of 3, thats how its supposed to go right?

el jacko

I can't get my Wii online right now, I won't be able to until way past the deadline for round 1. So, sixstringedpyscho wins our match automatically.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Just had two really good intense matches with Dreavus,

Match 1 - MrCheez (Olimar) versus Dreavus (Ganondorf) on Yoshi's Island - Winner: MrCheez
Match 2 - MrCheez (Olimar) versus Dreavus (MetaKnight) on Halberd - Winner: MrCheez

Thanks again Dreavus for the really fun matches!

Dreavus

MrCheez said:
Just had two really good intense matches with Dreavus,

Match 1 - MrCheez (Olimar) versus Dreavus (Ganondorf) on Yoshi's Island - Winner: MrCheez
Match 2 - MrCheez (Olimar) versus Dreavus (MetaKnight) on Halberd - Winner: MrCheez

Thanks again Dreavus for the really fun matches!

Good stuff man, I was really starting to dread those purple Pikmin whenever they were next in line! lol

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Dreavus said:
Good stuff man, I was really starting to dread those purple Pikmin whenever they were next in line! lol

Hahaha, and I was watching your Ganondorf so closely that it almost gave me a headache. He is scary to fight because I just know one good hit could so easily kill me. :lol I think you're the only Ganondorf I've ever played against now that I think about it... I've played as him a little bit, but none of my friends EVER select him.

Thanks again! We'll play again soon :)

Blizzard

Banned
Teknoman said:
Wait wait, weren't we supposed to just fight twice if one person won both matches? I mean if it's best out of 3, thats how its supposed to go right?

I thought we did that? We each won one, so then we went to a tiebreaker...

scottnak

Blizzard said:
I thought we did that? We each won one, so then we went to a tiebreaker...

This is probably why he's confused

Round 2: Keru_Shiri (Pikachu) wins vs. Keru_Shiri (Pikachu) on Battlefield
Probbaly just saw the right side and assumed :p

:lol
Yeah, don't use Pikachu if your connection is less than perfect. But it was a good match nonetheless. Blizzard, you really turned on the awesome for that last bout.

JoeFu

Banned
I think I play Blizzard next looking at the bracket right?

And Jiggy, When I played Santa he was G&W for all games and I was Pika.

Teknoman

DeceitDecide said:
That'd be me... although not by much.

Well we'll get Firestorm to clear that up in the morning. Either way, hopefully the next match i'll remember to record all the replays.

Also we probably have to wait for Firestorm to confirm the initial stage we start on anyway, right?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I had to skip my match with Guled til monday because of real life stuff, and then I completely forgot about it. :(

Guled's the winner by default since I'm an idiot.

Teknoman

Osaka said:
I had to skip my match with Guled til monday because of real life stuff, and then I completely forgot about it. :(

Guled's the winner by default since I'm an idiot.

You've got till Tueday night (March 25th) to complete the battle. Dont give up so easily :D

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Teknoman said:
You've got till Tueday night (March 25th) to complete the battle. Dont give up so easily :D

Oh, I thought it's this morning! Gotta do it when I get home from work then :O

EDIT: Yeah durr of course it means Wednesday morning for Europe. Silly me.

MGrant

Sorry for being away for a bit. I've had a lot of poetry assignments to take care of. I should be doing my match tomorrow without a problem, though.

Firestorm

Yeah probably shouldn't do second round matches yet as there seems to be some confusion and I haven't given the stage yet.

el jacko and SixStringPsycho, I've noted your issues and will give SixStringPsycho the win.

Just played my matches with MGrant.
Aw man, I don't know why, but I was extremely nervous the whole time.
I was going to go with Ness/Lucas, but after seeing you choose him on the first round, I didn't think I'd be able to beat your Ness with my Ness/Lucas, so I stuck with G&W.

There was a bit of input lag, maybe more so for you than me, but I could barely feel it on my side.

Great matches, I'd really like to play against you again, since we're on a very similar level.
And I forgot to save the replays =/

Results:
Game #1 - Yoshi's Island - MGrant (Ness) - Projectkuro (Game & Watch)
Game #2 - Smashville - MGrant (Ness) - Projectkuro (Game & Watch)
Game #3 - Final Destination - MGrant (Ness) - Projectkuro (Game & Watch)

Once again, thanks for the good games.

MGrant

projectkuro said:
I was going to go with Ness/Lucas, but after seeing you choose him on the first round, I didn't think I'd be able to beat your Ness with my Ness/Lucas, so I stuck with G&W.

Haha, that's pretty funny. Game & Watch is my secondary but I decided against using him because I would have been outclassed.

Firestorm said:
Yeah probably shouldn't do second round matches yet as there seems to be some confusion and I haven't given the stage yet.

el jacko and SixStringPsycho, I've noted your issues and will give SixStringPsycho the win.
Thats good, but... Isnt there someone available that didnt got in the torunament that can replace el jacko? I want a fair win.

dfyb

Banned
dfyb vs jibblypop
round 1: [dfyb - King DeDeDe] beats [jibblypop - MetaKnight] on Yoshi's Island
round 2: [dfyb - King DeDeDe] beats [jibblypop - Ike] on Wario Ware Inc.

good games :)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Jiggy, why are you not keeping character stats?

Such as: Lucas being 4/12 (33% win) thus far.
and Ike being 9/13 (69.2% win)

Jiggy

slayn said:
Jiggy, why are you not keeping character stats?

Such as: Lucas being 4/12 (33% win) thus far.
and Ike being 9/13 (69.2% win)
Oh, believe me. I am. ;) I just don't want to say anything for fear of influencing who picks who.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Jiggy37 said:
Oh, believe me. I am. ;) I just don't want to say anything for fear of influencing who picks who.
What about the rest of us who want to know but are too lazy to figure it out =(

I wish to be able to tap into jigglesoft excel

whatever , I give up messaging my opponent... either this guy has not been on Neogaf for the past week or... he has Private messages off.

Gamer @ Heart

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Meh, looks like that even in the end it came to schedule issues with me and Guled. Since I was the one who forgot about our previous set time, I think it's just fair that it's Guled's victory by default.

Jiggy

slayn said:
What about the rest of us who want to know but are too lazy to figure it out =(

I wish to be able to tap into jigglesoft excel
I'll post them at the end of the tournament. That was the whole reason I started the tracking in the first place, after all--to say who picks who, and how often those characters win online on NeoGAF.
But if I said "Oh snap, this character has won 0% of his matchups even though he's been used 8 times :O" (there's nobody really like that, yet), it might be possible that suddenly people would stop picking that character and that would skew the results.

Teknoman

So have your predictions about user winnings still true so far? Because if you somehow get 100% the entire bracket...you need to take a weekend off in Vegas/Lousiana.

Jiggy

I got the joke SS4Gogita loss (DBZ name = lose), the slayn win (GAF hearsay claims he's awesome), the RevenantKioku loss (saw certain exploitable flaws in his style from his videos when he first got his Japanese copy), the Nabster92 win (same situation as slayn, except that I've actually played Nabster and know that GAF isn't kidding), the truendo loss (old in-game name), the MrCheez win (month of extra experience from the Japanese game, and I've played him to know he's really good), and the usea loss (he had said he wasn't adjusting to Brawl yet).

But I missed the Dechaios win. I figured Zeed was such an active poster in the Dojo thread because he played a lot of Smash Bros., so I thought maybe he'd be really good or something. >_> Oh, I'll probably also miss SuperAndroid17 losing (because, again, DBZ name = lose) because Gamer @ Heart won't show, but that doesn't count.

Whatever the case, I had only made predictions on a select few matches anyway.

ICallItFutile said:
Hey Jiggy, where's the updated record huh? I don't feel like searching through all these posts to see if my next opponent has won yet. :p
Well, we've officially hit page 10 and I don't know if people will go back to page 6 at this point (where I've been updating it), so here it is for page 10:

Winner's Bracket Round 1 Results and Statistics

All matches begin on Yoshi's Island. Listed stages are for second matches, and third where applicable. The numbering system is the match order in Firestorm's bracket. Underlines show the order of winners.
Strikethroughs are replaced people.

1) War Machine Shanks over CB3 by opponent forfeit
2) superbank (Captain Falcon, Captain Falcon) over Dragmire (Zelda/Sheik, Zelda/Sheik) 2-0; Bridge of Eldin
3) OliveJuice (Falco, Falco) over SS4Gogita (Lucas, Lucas) 2-0; Pirate Ship
4) Jiggy37 over OgnodoD Gamer @ Heart by opponent forfeit (AKA the only way Jiggy would ever win anything)
5) Fenix over Scribble by opponent forfeit
6) slayn (Ike, Ike, Ike) over Kusagari (Diddy, Lucas, Lucas) 3-0 (yes, really 3-0); Delfino Plaza, Yoshi's Island
7) Dechaios (Ganondorf, Ganondorf) over Zeed (Marth, Marth) 2-0; Final Destination
8) Guled over Osaka by opponent forfeit
9) KevinCow (Olimar, Olimar) over yeb (Snake, Snake) 2-0; Skyworld
10) Masked Man (Lucas, Lucas) over Schattenjagger (Link, Link) 2-0; Bridge of Eldin
11) biggkidd32 (Wolf, Wolf) over PillowKnight (Marth, Marth) 2-0; Final Destination
12) projectkuro (Mr. Game & Watch, Mr. Game & Watch, Mr. Game & Watch) over MGrant (Ness, Ness, Ness) 2-1; Smashville, Final Destination
13) DeceitDecide (Pikachu, Pikachu, Pikachu) over JSnake (Ike, Ike, Ike) 2-1; Frigate Orpheon, Shadow Moses Island
14) Teknoman (Lucario, Pokemon Trainer) over RevenantKioku (Jigglypuff, Jigglypuff) 2-0; Flat Zone 2
15) dfyb (King Dedede, King Dedede) over jibblypop (Meta Knight, Ike) 2-0; WarioWare
16) Manabanana over Ril by opponent forfeit
17) Arol (Meta Knight, Lucario, Lucario) over NeoForte (Lucas, Lucas, Lucas) 2-1; Final Destination, Halberd
18) Mii Beezy (Lucas, Lucas) over Phantom Flapjack (Ness, Ness) 2-0; Onett
19) Nabster92 (Ike, Marth) over Kinosen (Diddy, Diddy) 2-0; Battlefield
20) layzie1989 (Lucas, Lucas) over TwinIonEngines (Peach, Peach) 2-0; Battlefield
21) Bloodwake (Captain Falcon) over Dr.Hadji (King Dedede) 1-0 followed by forfeit
22) Baiano19 over Ganondorf>Link CassSept by opponent forfeit
23) tmdorsey over Kevtones by opponent forfeit
24) PunjabiPlaya (Ike, Ike) over Economan (Ness, Ness) 2-0; Final Destination
25) viewtiful_dru (Pikachu, Pikachu) over truendo (Samus, Samus) 2-0
26) MrCheez (Olimar, Olimar) over Dreavus (Ganondorf, Meta Knight) 2-0; Halberd
27) Ryuuga vs. TJ Spyke rhfb over Mike T by opponent forfeit
28) BudokaiMR2 (Marth, Marth) over justchris (Kirby, Kirby) 2-0; Pirate Ship
29) ArtanisIX dragonlife29 over vertopci by opponent forfeit
30) Cyan (Pikachu, Kirby, Pikachu) over Iam Canadian (Lucas, Lucas, Lucas) 2-1; Luigi's Mansion, Smashville
31) ICallItFutile (Marth, Marth, Marth) over muttyeah416 (Diddy, Marth, Marth) 2-1; Final Destination, Final Destination
32) Milabrega over Akia by opponent forfeit
33) Zozz (Diddy Kong, Diddy Kong) over bigmakstudios (Pit, Pit) 2-0; Shadow Moses Island
34) Halycon over beanoboy7 Mii by opponent forfeit
35) The M.O.B. Kwokuen over Tom Cody by opponent forfeit

36) miggsthejust (Wario, Meta Knight) over Armubaba (Snake, Snake); Hyrule Temple
37) SuperAndroid17 (Wolf, Wario) over Gamer @ Heart Michan (Mario, Mario) 2-0; Halberd
38) funkmastergeneral over Malfunky 2-1; Smashville, Hyrule Temple
39) Aladuf23 over Kirk 2-1 (Aladuf wins latter two matches)
40) Enk over zaxor0 2-0; Battlefield
41) SuperAngelo64 over Vanish 2-0; Battlefield
42) Teasel (Olimar, Olimar) over crowphoenix (Toon Link, Ike) 2-0; Pirate Ship
43) JCX9 over Gekkonidae by opponent forfeit
44) LouieGeetoo over Fuzzery by opponent forfeit

45) bran (Marth, Marth, Marth) over Costanza (Kirby, Kirby, Kirby) 2-1; Final Destination, Shadow Moses Island
46) Vlad over mugwhump by opponent forfeit
47) BlueSummers (Ness, Ness) over Hatchet Man (Mr. Game & Watch, Lucario) 2-0
48) XiaNaphyrz (Zelda, Zelda, Zelda) over Phaethon0017 (Fox, Fox, Fox) 2-1; Battlefield, Final Destination
49) JoeFu (Pikachu, Pikachu, Pikachu) over SantaC (Mr. Game & Watch, Mr. Game & Watch, Mr. Game & Watch) 2-1; Smashville, Green Hill Zone
50) Blizzard (Kirby, Kirby, Kirby) over Keru_Shiri (Ike, Pikachu, Pikachu) 2-1; Battlefield, Smashville
51) shaft (Ike, Ike) over HotByCold (Kirby, R.O.B.) 2-0; Smashville
52) Rentahamster (R.O.B, R.O.B.) over kIdMuScLe (Marth, Marth) 2-0
53) Radiuhm weepy over Ashhong by opponent forfeit
54) SixStringPsycho over el jacko by opponent forfeit
55) Relix (Luigi, Luigi) over Firestorm (Meta Knight, Toon Link) 2-0; Halberd
56) Crimmy over Einherjar 2-0; Final Destination
57) mattso over Archie by opponent forfeit
58) Mark D over Spirit Icana by opponent forfeit
59) Crushed (Snake, Snake) over WalkMan (Luigi, Luigi) 2-0; Final Destination
60) Killa Sasa (Link, Link, Link) over scottnak (Kirby, Kirby, Kirby) 2-1; Lylat Cruise, Halberd
61) Acerac (Kirby, Kirby) over usea (R.O.B., Olimar) 2-0; Smashville
62) Toy Soldier (Pokemon Trainer, Pokemon Trainer) over infiniteloop (Meta Knight, Mario) 2-0; Mario Circuit
63) Cowie (Toon Link, Toon Link) over Auron_Kale (Snake, Snake) 2-0; Smashville
64) Spruchy over RoboPlato by opponent forfeit

Matches complete: 64/64. 100% of the first round is done!
Shutouts: 31 (48.44%)
2-1 matchups: 12 (18.75%)
Forfeits: 20 (31.25%)
Other: 1, see match 21 (1.6%)

Preferred stages:
Final Destination (11)
Smashville (9)
Battlefield (6)
Halberd (5)
Pirate Ship, Shadow Moses Island (3 each)
Bridge of Eldin, Hyrule Temple (2 each)

All other stages seen so far were picked only once. They are: Delfino Plaza, Flat Zone 2, Frigate Orpheon, Green Hill Zone, Luigi's Mansion, Lylat Cruise, Mario Circuit, Onett, Skyworld, WarioWare, and Yoshi's Island. (Noting, of course, that Yoshi's Island had to be played on in all rounds, so using it as a counterpick would naturally be rare. >_>)

Top Bottom