• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Talka

Want to get one of these for my brother for Christmas.

Can I trust they'll be restocked and available relatively soon? Or should I pay the eBay premium?

Can I trust they'll be restocked and available relatively soon? Or should I pay the eBay premium?

Christmas I wouldn't get my hopes for. Try that NowinStock page (I think it was?) for it going up on the web, and that may reflect when they show up in stores. But I wouldn't pay the eBay premium. They'll be more readily available after the holidays.

Decider

Did I read somewhere that some Wii controllers are compatible? If so i'll just grab one of those for the christmas gaming.
Yeah, I've got a couple of Classic Controllers and the Super Famicom version in storage. The SFC one will have to do for the time being but I really, really like the NES pad!

TheMoon

Again, they've already confirmed restocks on a regular basis.

Don't be insane and pay stupid prices. DO NOT.

Shoebox

I don't know how anyone outside of Nintendo could actually know when shipments will trickle in. Maybe a manager of a retailer-but even then... 🤔

Don't feed the scalpers, you'll almost certainly regret it. Half of the fun of these nail-biting releases is the feeling when you get one on your own initiative...

KingBroly

Banned
Just picked mine up at Nintendo NY, but I've got to go in to work now. (Actually running late, but it's an office job so I can easily make up the time at the end of the day.) Glad I went because they just officially cut off the line.

But while I was there, we were approached in line by someone who identified himself as the product manager who asked why we were so excited that we were willing to line up for it. He said that they didn't see this coming at all and honestly sounded slightly dazed. "You can play these other places, you've played all of them before." Then we talked about the quality of the emulation for a while, the design, and how these are contributing factors.

I said that for the SNES I could see it being even bigger and, again, I was surprised that he seemed so shocked. "Would you all really buy a Super NES one?" He turned to the other people in line, who all agreed that the SNES was an even bigger part of their childhoods, with a more beloved collection of games.

He was so surprised by everything we were saying. So either Nintendo has no idea what their consumers are into or they are so dedicated to artificial scarcity that they are pretending to be oblivious in public.

Something tells me one of these is more likely than the other.

I cannot see how they didn't research this, especially after the initial demand was THROUGH THE ROOF. Everywhere. They already claimed it to be a hot item on Day 1 despite not knowing it would be as such.

They keep doing this and it's really ticking me off

Calm Mind

Just picked mine up at Nintendo NY, but I've got to go in to work now. (Actually running late, but it's an office job so I can easily make up the time at the end of the day.) Glad I went because they just officially cut off the line.

But while I was there, we were approached in line by someone who identified himself as the product manager who asked why we were so excited that we were willing to line up for it. He said that they didn't see this coming at all and honestly sounded slightly dazed. "You can play these other places, you've played all of them before." Then we talked about the quality of the emulation for a while, the design, and how these are contributing factors.

I said that for the SNES I could see it being even bigger and, again, I was surprised that he seemed so shocked. "Would you all really buy a Super NES one?" He turned to the other people in line, who all agreed that the SNES was an even bigger part of their childhoods, with a more beloved collection of games.

He was so surprised by everything we were saying. So either Nintendo has no idea what their consumers are into or they are so dedicated to artificial scarcity that they are pretending to be oblivious in public.

Something tells me one of these is more likely than the other.

How can Nintendo know what the people want if they don't express this in the many surveys they dole out. Also, didn't the SNES Mini happen already? (sans preloaded games of course)

I don't know how anyone outside of Nintendo could actually know when shipments will trickle in. Maybe a manager of a retailer-but even then... 🤔

Don't feed the scalpers, you'll almost certainly regret it. Half of the fun of these nail-biting releases is the feeling when you get one on your own initiative...

I was told first week of December at Canadian Walmarts from my work's retail rep. For some reason Nintendo seemed to want to avoid Black Friday. I guess they don't want to overshadow the 3DS?

AgeEighty

I was thinking about the timing of the NES CE and how great it could be for Switch. No better way to sell their new console that's coming out in four short months than to blitz the holiday shopping season with a product that reminds people, especially lapsed gamers, of what they used to love about Nintendo.

I was thinking about the timing of the NES CE and how great it could be for Switch. No better way to sell their new console that's coming out in four short months than to blitz the holiday shopping season with a product that reminds people, especially lapsed gamers, of what they used to love about Nintendo.
Fair point.

TheMoon

On a regular basis? I only heard of a second shipment in December. Have they said it's going to be restocked it on a regular basis?

For NA specifically ->

@NintendoAmerica Nov 11
The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition system is a hot item, and we are working hard to keep up with consumer demand. 1/3

@NintendoAmerica Nov 11
There will be a steady flow of additional systems through the holiday shopping season and into the new year. 2/3

‏@NintendoAmerica Nov 11
Please contact your local retailers to check availability. A selection of participating retailers can be found @ http://Nintendo.com/nes-classic 3/3
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/797124318706601984

I heartily apologize if this has already been covered somewhere but I cannot find an answer to my question anywhere (even on the rest of the internet).

Does anyone know how long the included HDMI cable is that comes with the NES classic edition? I think it comes with an HDMI cable anyway, and if it doesn't then I'd like to know that too.

Thanks!

I heartily apologize if this has already been covered somewhere but I cannot find an answer to my question anywhere (even on the rest of the internet).

Does anyone know how long the included HDMI cable is that comes with the NES classic edition? I think it comes with an HDMI cable anyway, and if it doesn't then I'd like to know that too.

Thanks!

It does come with one. It's about 3 feet long. You'll probably have to invest in a longer one. I'm currently using a 6 foot cable and even that isn't long enough.

Richie

In theory I'm thinking the same too.
In execution, they better stock this thing asap to most people's satisfaction or else the effect may backfire...What impression does the 1 star aggregate on Amazon leave?

Turnbl

Thanks!

The HDMI is 5ft/1.5m, as is the micro USB power cable. Or 59 inches/151cm to be exact.

That's in the UK edition anyway.

It does come with one. It's about 3 feet long. You'll probably have to invest in a longer one. I'm currently using a 6 foot cable and even that isn't long enough.

Awesome - thanks! I've got my eye on a 25 foot long HDMI cable from Amazon so I can just have the console by me while I'm playing - that way I don't have to worry about the short cords on the controllers and I want the console within easy reach anyway.

Here's the link if anyone's interested.

The HDMI is 5ft/1.5m, as is the micro USB power cable. Or 59 inches/151cm to be exact.

That's in the UK edition anyway.

Oh yeah. I will need to worry about power to the console if I have it far away from the TV. Hmmm. Thanks for pointing out the USB cable length as well...

breadtruck

Dont let the scalpers win!

Give you're brother a card saying you'll pick this thing up as soon as it is available. Whats an couple weeks or so? Nothing, that's what.

Turnbl

Oh yeah. I will need to worry about power to the console if I have it far away from the TV. Hmmm. Thanks for pointing out the USB cable length as well...

The machine can be powered by a TV USB slot. I think with the cables being exactly the same length this was Nintendo's intention, even if they haven't advertised that.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm swamped in assignments from Uni right now so I've had literally no time to even open mine yet. :(

I come home from about 6-7 hours of independent study, feel ready to open it up and play but by the time I've eaten and showered, I just want to sit in bed and watch a movie.

I'll definitely get round to it this week!

I cannot see how they didn't research this, especially after the initial demand was THROUGH THE ROOF. Everywhere. They already claimed it to be a hot item on Day 1 despite not knowing it would be as such.

They keep doing this and it's really ticking me off
I don't think there is any chance that this is accidental. Consider some simple (probably heavily flawed) math:

Keeping estimates as conservative as possible, let's see how badly Nintendo missed the mark in my hometown (Louisville, KY). Bear with me, I know this is dumb, but it's fun and for the sake of argument:

Here are the numbers for our local market in the form of NUMBER OF STORES |#| NUMBER OF REPORTED CLASSIC NES SYSTEMS RECEIVED (based on my phone calls/personal reconnaissance on the subject)

• Target: 6 (stores) |#| 36 (received systems, reportedly 6 per store)
  • Walmart: 9 |#| 54
  • Best Buy: 2 |#| 120
  • Meijer: 5 |#| 30
  • Gamestop: 12 |#| 72
So that's a total of 312 systems, but of course, I probably missed some other locations that could sell them, such as independent B&M stores and the like. So let's just call it one thousand (1000) systems of an initial supply in this market just for the sake of argument / conservative estimates.

Given that, let's use the rough estimate of 250,000 occupied households in Louisville. This does not, by the way, include surrounding areas such as Goshen, Shelbyville, etc -- so the actual number is surely quite a bit higher.

And let's say that roughly 1 in 30 households (a very conservative estimate from what I can tell) is actually interested in buying one of these things. That's a little over 8,000 systems in demand.

In other words, even with VERY CONSERVATIVE estimates, if the numbers are actually true / consistent regarding which stores received how many systems, only 1 in 8 households (at most) in Louisville actually had their demand satisfied (unless you count online orders, which again, have reportedly been quite sparse in their availability). That's terrible. It's beyond terrible, in fact; there is almost no way that Nintendo grossly underestimated demand by that wide of a margin, and plus, it's almost certainly not that expensive/difficult to manufacture these things.

I'm just saying. This could be completely, totally wrong -- but it is fun to go through the math and explore just how bad it actually might be. I think this may actually be an intentionally choked launch window supply, followed by a (shortly after) steady flow (as they're saying) of systems to keep people from getting too pissed off -- but still satisfying their demand, which at this point has grown to a fever pitch. And, of course, the likely reason in that case would presumably be free press. Which they're certainly getting plenty of, just as they did with the Wii!

My thoughts. Thanks for indulging my boring nerd stuff.

BorntoPlay

Got my console shipped from amazon, stil waiting for the controller...
p7l6cgv.png

Oh Nintendo knew, if they didn't then whoever was in charge of this is incompetent as fuck, I think it's more likely just another instance of Nintendo creating "artificial scarcity" to get stories and create a greater Christmas frenzy for it.

Then again there was how they failed in their marketing of the Wii U.

b3b0p

106toploaderfront.jpg

If they ever make a NES mini 2, they have to go with the top loader design with dog bone controller.

I'd wait out in the cold for a week for this.

My hope is they don't milk this and we get an NES CE 2, 3, ... My hope and dream is we get something that can be expanded in some way either via digital download or memory cards instead. A frontend to the Virtual Console.

I'd wait out in the cold for a week for this.

My hope is they don't milk this and we get an NES CE 2, 3, ... My hope and dream is we get something that can be expanded in some way either via digital download or memory cards instead. A frontend to the Virtual Console.

maybe they'll go up to 7 like the Atari Flashback

It's cool. I'll just pick up some the holiday Wii U titles while I'm waiting for the NES. Oh wait. Uhhh Mario Run looks fun and I still need to find Porygon in Go.

AgeEighty

Oh Nintendo knew, if they didn't then whoever was in charge of this is incompetent as fuck, I think it's more likely just another instance of Nintendo creating "artificial scarcity" to get stories and create a greater Christmas frenzy for it.

Then again there was how they failed in their marketing of the Wii U.

They planned their initial run size for this console months ago, before it was clear how much demand there would be. And I know we all think our minds are easy for companies to read, but consumers are fickle, and there's no such thing as a slam dunk product. It's better to err on the side of caution when it's a type of product you've never made before.

I'm not saying Nintendo didn't lowball the first shipment by what they thought would be a little, but it's highly doubtful they intentionally did it by this much. That only hurts them.

Jerm411

Man I had been in a funk gaming wise and just kinda meh on it all and this was exactly what I needed....

To go back and play these games from when I fell in love with gaming is just awesome....it's not just nostalgia too, I'm really enjoying playing a lot of these games even if I've played them over and over and over again in the past.

Between this and the Switch, completely in love with Nintendo again.

So what is the way to go about playing 2p games right now? Wii Classic/Pro controllers are sold the fuck out in my area at Gamestops along with the official NES Classic pads (obviously).

Do the Hori gamecube look-alike controllers work on the NES mini?

They have these at my local 2nd hand game store along with some random 3rd party classic controller pro that is a little sketchy looking.

What's the best way to go about getting a Nintendo brand Wii Classic controller these days? Is there any affordable bundles out there that came with one?

Ordered mine from BB at 1:30 when it went up the other day, said it shipped that night and was scheduled for a Tuesday release, but got moved up to tomorrow!

Kilau

This controller cord length is just awful. It was nice to see that the home button on the Wii classic controller works to take you out to the menu for easy save state access, but it's cord is just as short, and the stupid clear plastic clip blocks port 2.

I still don't understand how hard it is to find an extra controller for this thing. Incredible.

Yeah I got home with a knock off classic controller yesterday (only controller the mom and pop shop had) Plugged it in too the player 2 port and.....nothing. returning it tomorrow. I just want too play some two player.

Grechy34

Anyone who says these games don't hold up. Rubbish. They're so simplistic yet so very good. Except Ice Climbers. Fuck that game.

3rdEdge

So what is the way to go about playing 2p games right now? Wii Classic/Pro controllers are sold the fuck out in my area at Gamestops along with the official NES Classic pads (obviously).

Do the Hori gamecube look-alike controllers work on the NES mini?

They have these at my local 2nd hand game store along with some random 3rd party classic controller pro that is a little sketchy looking.

What's the best way to go about getting a Nintendo brand Wii Classic controller these days? Is there any affordable bundles out there that came with one?

I've got one of those GameCube look alike controllers and tried it out on the NES classic this morning, it works.

Top Bottom