• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

bart64

Banned
Tried looking for the controller today. GameStop guy said all the stores were out and everywhere else did not even seem to be stocking them at all aside from one Target. The Target looked it had enough room for maybe one or two units tops and didn't have any controllers.
Target has it online: http://www.target.com/p/nes-classic-controller/-/A-51485462

My wife is an angel and went to three stores to find mine, she was offered $200 for her place in line... I'm enjoying it a lot now that it's hooked up to my computer monitor, also let's me play without hogging the tv. The menu system is slick though.

AgeEighty

Have people who ordered the console early Friday morning from Best Buy had their orders shipped yet? I snagged one before they sold out, but it's still in Preparing status.

Meanwhile GameStop, where I got an order in somehow 45 minutes after they went on sale, shipped already.

Arc07

Have people who ordered the console early Friday morning from Best Buy had their orders shipped yet? I snagged one before they sold out, but it's still in Preparing status.
Yeah mine shipped. Arrives Wednesday. Just need to find an extra controller now.

TLZ

Banned
Decided to take a chance on ordering a couple cheap extension cables from overseas, since it's pretty much impossible to find any:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Con...or-Wii-Handle-Extension-Cord/32764956048.html

Estimated delivery time 28-50 days?

Err..

Yeah mine shipped. Arrives Wednesday. Just need to find an extra controller now.

:)

OK, so is there anyone else who ordered from bestbuy.com who has not had theirs ship?
Mine actually arrived today. It was delivered through Ontrac.

I was reading on CAG and some people posted on Best Buy's forums about backordered orders and preparing to ship orders. They received a response from corporate saying the following:

Due to the high demand for the NES Classic, we did sell out almost immediately and there is no estimate replenishment date. That said, I'm fairly confident that this order still shows "Preparing" since the system may be attempting to pull the inventory from another store; but since everywhere is sold out including BestBuy.com, it is likely that the order will automatically cancel and refund the money to your method of payment.

If, by chance, the item becomes available again before the order cancels, you should receive an order update via email with an updated arrival date.

I wish I had better news for you, but I hope this helps!

RedToad64

Man! Give me a SNES Classic and a PS1 Classic NOW! This thing is awesome.
It is called a PSTV and you can find it for 40 bucks.

You know what's also a weird decision? That they did not include the improved NES versions of Donkey Kong and Mario Bros.

Donkey Kong got a newer version called "Original Edition" as a promotional item in a special Red Wii bundle and this version finally brought back...
This version was also released on the 3DS for a limited time.

AgeEighty

Mine actually arrived today. It was delivered through Ontrac.

I was reading on CAG and some people posted on Best Buy's forums about backordered orders and preparing to ship orders. They received a response from corporate saying the following:

Due to the high demand for the NES Classic, we did sell out almost immediately and there is no estimate replenishment date. That said, I'm fairly confident that this order still shows "Preparing" since the system may be attempting to pull the inventory from another store; but since everywhere is sold out including BestBuy.com, it is likely that the order will automatically cancel and refund the money to your method of payment.

If, by chance, the item becomes available again before the order cancels, you should receive an order update via email with an updated arrival date.

I wish I had better news for you, but I hope this helps!

Oh for fuck's sake. My order went through at least a minute before the console sold out on the site, so they'd better not screw me over.

My order said it would be delivered on Friday the 18th the moment I placed it, and that's still what it says, so I just hope I was simply near the back of the pack they had available.

I dunno if they have enough big name classics left to do for a NES mini 2 though.

Most of the left out classics are due to licensing issues, i.e Disney Capcom games.

I can come up with another ~30 without too much licencing hassle.

TETRIS(!)
Rygar
Rad Racer
Mega Man 1 & 3
Kung Fu
Contra
Castlevania 3
River City Ransom
Bad Dudes
Blades of Steel
Jackal
Golf
Kickle Cubicle
Adventure Island 1 & 2
Bomberman
Strider
Ninja Gaiden 2
A Boy and his Blob
Tecmo Super Bowl
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
RC Pro Am
Crystalis
Dragon Warrior(s)

Work for licences for Ducktales, TMNT, and Batman.

Probably throw Mario 1-3 and Zelda 1 & 2 just to get 1st time buyers in. No problem with duplicating the core titles to make it appealing to non-1.0 owners.

Randam

TETRIS(!)
Rygar
Mega Man 1 & 3
Kung Fu
Contra
Castlevania 3
River City Ransom
Bad Dudes
Blades of Steel
Jackal
Golf
Kickle Cubicle
Adventure Island 1 & 2
Bomberman
Strider
Ninja Gaiden 2
A Boy and his Blob
Tecmo Super Bowl
RC Pro Am
Crystalis
Dragon Warrior(s)

Probably throw Mario 1-3 and Zelda 1 & 2 just to get 1st time buyers in. No problem with duplicating the core titles to make it appealing to non-1.0 owners.

europe needs Nintendo World Cup!

AgeEighty

TETRIS(!)
Rygar
Mega Man 1 & 3
Kung Fu
Contra
Castlevania 3
River City Ransom
Bad Dudes
Blades of Steel
Jackal
Golf
Kickle Cubicle
Adventure Island 1 & 2
Bomberman
Strider
Ninja Gaiden 2
A Boy and his Blob
Tecmo Super Bowl
RC Pro Am
Crystalis
Dragon Warrior(s)

RC Pro-Am is a Rare game, so that's got licensing issues.

But here are some more:

Ice Hockey (still can't believe this wasn't on the current one; this game was legendary)
Pro Wrestling
Skate or Die!
California Games
The Adventures of Bayou Billy
Life Force
Rygar
Baseball Stars or RBI Baseball

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice setup, but you need to dust that fucking tv stand and consoles asap lol
ja, Mutti
Snow-White-Blowing-Dust.gif
JA, MUTTI

Decider

GAME staff told me that they expect to be sold out of the controller until next year. I really dropped the ball on not ordering one for two player along with the console.

Mine surprised me and arrived today (San Francisco).

Didn't even open it. Put it right up on eBay and can wait for wave two or twelve.

Might as well profit off of someone's impatience if I can.

I need all the pennies I can get.

Plus I never believe Nintendo when they launch hardware. They're the masters of artificial scarcity and drip-drip restocks driving fear of missing out syndrome. They've been doing this since forever.

jonno394

GAME staff told me that they expect to be sold out of the controller until next year. I really dropped the ball on not ordering one for two player along with the console.

Did I read somewhere that some Wii controllers are compatible? If so i'll just grab one of those for the christmas gaming.

Shion

I dunno if they have enough big name classics left to do for a NES mini 2 though.

Most of the left out classics are due to licensing issues, i.e Disney Capcom games.

1. Adventure Island II
2. Bionic Commando
3. Blaster Master
4. Bomberman II
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
6. Contra
7. Crystalis
8. Dig Dug
9. Dragon Quest IV
10. Earthbound Beginnings
11. Guerilla War
12. Life Force
13. Little Samson
14. Maniac Mansion
15. Mega Man 3
16. Metal Storm
17. Mighty Final Fight
18. Mr. Gimmick
19. Ninja Gaiden II
20. River City Ransom
21. Rad Racer
22. Rainbow Islands
23. Rygar
24. Shadow of the Ninja
25. Shatterhand
26. StarTropics II
27. The Battle of Olympus
28. The Guardian Legend
29. Ufouria
30. Vice: Project Doom

Hell, they can even do a NES Mini 3 if they want.

I've given Zelda 1 the most time out of any sitting I've had with it today (using a guide like but screw you it's an old obtuse game). 3 dungoens down now. It's pretty fun when you aren't wandering about aimlessly and getting merk'd. Castlevania 1 as well I remember that from being a kid, well more watching my older brother play it. I've been abusing the save states like mad but it's brilliant as well. The controller really adds to the experience for me. When I play emulators with an xbox or ps4 pad it doesn't feel right unless it's Ps1 era and up.

Impotaku

My orders for the NES & Famicom versions are still waiting for the December stock to arrive but seeing as i didn't intend to play them till xmas i'm happy to wait, just glad i managed to get them at retail cost, no way in hell i'd have paid what scumbag scalpers are trying to flip them for.

In the meantime i'm having a bit of fun replaying the original famicom mini series that nintendo released before they went all funky and shrunk down the entire console as well. But avoiding the titles that are also in the re-release, don't want to get bored by playing those to death before my mini even gets here.

When i hear famicom mini i think of this.
timznam.jpg

c0vgvDP.jpg

fXi1k1o.jpg

Also this is a pure nostalgia overload, pretty much the best book ever made for famicom. lists everything. Carts, disks, cheats & every weird piece of hardware and peripherals that were ever created all contained in 2 books housed inside a box to make it look like a famicom. Really wish there was a similar book for the NES, was hoping that the playing with power book might have been good but the reviews make it sound a bit shit.
ewDdJNj.jpg

GlFudWy.jpg

ceHzu8v.jpg

xeqzEB6.jpg

SSmg6Sg.jpg

uvimn87.jpg

Keep looking in case theres more merch coming, seems like there might be some more related items for the classics & mini consoles as the months go on. Already carry cases & other fun stuff so far.

Impotaku

It would have been awesome if it had a mini Zapper and Duck Hunt with it.

I want a mini ROB so badly, wouldn't even have had to make it work with modern screens there could just have been a box to provide the flashes for rob to see the comands while playing the games.

OK, so is there anyone else who ordered from bestbuy.com who has not had theirs ship?

My Best Buy order is technically in the "shipped" phase, and I even have a tracking number. Problem is that according to the tracking info, there's been zero movement since Friday morning. Status says "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item" and has been stuck there. Maybe the order is actually in transit but USPS simply isn't updating the info along the way, and it'll still arrive on Tuesday as scheduled. Or maybe Best Buy "prepared" my order and gave me a tracking number after they had already ran out of stock, and they just never canceled the order.

Either way, anyone else order from Best Buy and receive a tracking number, but receive no updates to their tracking info so far?

Rockeeo

On my Samsung KU6290, NES Classic is a mess. Super Mario 3 really exposes how poorly this TV handles motion. Mario leaves a trail when he jumps.

Kid Icarus, Metroid, and Castlevania 2 also suffer when the screen scrolls. The background gets darker and altered.

I tried it on older LCD TVs, and it is fine.

It is kind of weird that the NES Classic Mini is making me consider returning my TV. I did not notice the issue too much on PS4 games.

bart64

Banned
I saw the link. Not available for shipping and non within 100 miles of me.
My bad, I didn't know online target sold stuff without shipping...

Now that they know this is a hit nintendo better step up with the supply. I want to get two more for friends but I don't want to support this idiotic/desparate sales strategy.

kmfdmpig

1. Adventure Island II
2. Bionic Commando
3. Blaster Master
4. Bomberman II
6. Contra
7. Crystalis

8. Dig Dug
9. Dragon Quest IV
11. Guerilla War
12. Life Force
13. Little Samson
14. Maniac Mansion
15. Mega Man 3
16. Metal Storm
17. Mighty Final Fight
18. Mr. Gimmick
19. Ninja Gaiden II
20. River City Ransom

21. Rad Racer
22. Rainbow Islands
23. Rygar
24. Shadow of the Ninja
25. Shatterhand
26. StarTropics II
28. The Guardian Legend
29. Ufouria

Those would all be great. Karnov would be another fun game to add, I think.

AGoodODST

Holy shit this final boss rush on Ninja Gaiden. Never got this far back in the day.

The first form was impossible until I realised you can wall cling up to the top of each side and dodge all the fire balls. It's easy after that but this second form is ridiculous.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
1. Adventure Island II
2. Bionic Commando
3. Blaster Master
4. Bomberman II
6. Contra
7. Crystalis
8. Dig Dug
9. Dragon Quest IV
11. Guerilla War
12. Life Force
13. Little Samson
14. Maniac Mansion
15. Mega Man 3
16. Metal Storm
17. Mighty Final Fight
18. Mr. Gimmick
19. Ninja Gaiden II
20. River City Ransom
21. Rad Racer
22. Rainbow Islands
23. Rygar
24. Shadow of the Ninja
25. Shatterhand
26. StarTropics II
28. The Guardian Legend
29. Ufouria

These are very good choices. I'd try to add Faxanadu too. Kickle Cubicle, Adventures of Lolo. Tetris would be awesome, but unlikely.

Top Bottom