• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Fox1304

It plays well with oled !

ljDi9v7.jpg

Found a workaround for the alimentation cable issues !

ZMDcusQ.jpg

BriGuy

My unit arrived in the mail today, a full week before expected delivery. My excitement dissipated pretty fast though, because this thing is borderline unusable with my present set up. I have to sit uncomfortably close to the tv to play because I don't have a lot of leeway with my HDMI cables, and I needed to run an extension cable for the power cord. It's a real pain in the ass all around.

Raitaro

My unit arrived in the mail today, a full week before expected delivery. My excitement dissipated pretty fast though, because this thing is borderline unusable with my present set up. I have to sit uncomfortably close to the tv to play because I don't have a lot of leeway with my HDMI cables, and I needed to run an extension cable for the power cord. It's a real pain in the ass all around.

Yeah, I fear I'll run into similar problems when mine arrives next week. Just imagine all the disappointed casual buyers later in the year, or people who get it as a gift, who open up the box to see the cords and then have to figure out how where to place the unit in their setups. Quite a weird decision by Nintendo.

You know what's also a weird decision? That they did not include the improved NES versions of Donkey Kong and Mario Bros.

Donkey Kong got a newer version called "Original Edition" as a promotional item in a special Red Wii bundle and this version finally brought back the missing Pie Factory stage, while Mario Bros. got a "Classic Edition" version in Europe in 1993 (based on the Japanese disc system verison) that improved the jumping controls and added back the enemy introduction animations from the arcade version.

Not many people seem to know about these improved NES ports and Nintendo seems intent on keeping it that way even when they could have just included them instead of the old versions for those who do know. Quite a missed opportunity, to not use something they already took the effort for to create it (DK especially, as it required modifying the original NES code years after the fact) simply because they are not the initial ports released on NES first.

I don't want to open mine, lol.

I love the outter box haha.

If it's like the EU box, there is no tape on the box so you won't damage it if you want to open it. It kinda mystifies me why the controller box isn't the same, I want to open the box but it's sealed like a cereal box, pretty much no way to open it without completely wrecking it.

Tiktaalik

I was at an EB Games earlier today and overheard the clerks talking about how they got an email about how one of the NES peripherals straight up doesn't work, and then a moment later a guy came in with one saying how it didn't work. I think it was an arcade stick but I'm not sure. Are there multiple arcade stick peripherals?

SuperSah

Banned
In Australia a person ebay auctioned jjust the console box for the same price the unit actually cost ($100). And someone actually bought it!!

That's ridiculous. The box is pretty nice though!

If it's like the EU box, there is no tape on the box so you won't damage it if you want to open it. It kinda mystifies me why the controller box isn't the same, I want to open the box but it's sealed like a cereal box, pretty much no way to open it without completely wrecking it.

Yup, EU box here. It's really nice! Very good quality too.

I didn't get a second controller but it sounds odd for Nintendo to seal it cereal hox style.

farmerboy

Local Target suggested that limited resupply might be available by Christmas (Australia here).

This thing has sold out hard. No wonder, perfect price point and what looks like to be great emulation along with some cool features. How did they not realise that this would sell gangbusters.

Anyway, I can wait. But we should start petitoning Ninty with our list of games we want on the SNES mini.

;-)

OP, add a photo of the best box, the Australian one.

A more classic NES Box than the US Box. Like the EU box except without 83 hideous logos.

nes.jpg

The Australian box looks much better than the UK box. Even with that slightly obnoxious Australian rating logo and "NO AC Adapter included" sticker.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I dunno if they have enough big name classics left to do for a NES mini 2 though.

Most of the left out classics are due to licensing issues, i.e Disney Capcom games.
Quickly off the top of my head:
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Golf or NES Open Tournament (and all the other Nintendo sports games on top of that)
  • Kung Fu (Though this may have licensing problems)
  • Pinball
  • Mach Rider
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 - The Lost Levels (By this point the Japan only history shouldn't be a problem)
  • Wario's Woods
  • Yoshi
  • Yoshi's Cookie

You really have to start scraping the barrel to fill out another 30 games list. Do we really need Urban Champion? Of course there are some significant third party titles like Dragon Quest/Warrior that could be used, but overall, the list would come off as the scraps compared to the first outing that has all the main Mario and Zelda games.

Man I still can't believe this thing is going for upwards of $200 on eBay. Seems like easy money to just toss mine out there and wait for the second batch. Why can't people just wait like a week or two? Doesn't make any sense...

TLZ

Banned
I'm starting to think that Nintendo made the cables short on purpose so we'd all end up sat cross legged on the living room floor, just like we did as kids.

Only difference is we had 20 something inch tvs and now they're 50 something inches and above.

My eyes :/

SoulFinger74

Neo Member
Is anyone else noticing an audio lag? For me it is especially noticeable in the Mario games. When I jump the sound plays when I'm at just about the peak of the jump. When I go back and forth with the 3DS version the difference is evident.

For a setup, I'm using a U.S. KS8000 in game mode. I've reduced the audio delay to zero. I've switched to internal speakers in case there was a delay with my sound bar (after switching to optical audio cable with the sound bar had no effect).

Then I tried it with an older TV -- again using the internal speaker. Still a delay.

I notice no lag with the video, by the way. The controls are very responsive. So the games remain very playable.

I'll keep trying different games. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone had noticed the same thing.

TLZ

Banned
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Golf or NES Open Tournament (and all the other Nintendo sports games on top of that)
  • Pinball
  • Mach Rider
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 - The Lost Levels (By this point the Japan only history shouldn't be a problem)
  • Wario's Woods
  • Yoshi
  • Yoshi's Cookie

You really have to start scraping the barrel to fill out another 30 games list. Do we really need Urban Champion? Of course there are some significant third party titles like Dragon Quest/Warrior that could be used, but overall, the list would come off as the scraps compared to the first outing that has all the main Mario and Zelda games.

Just woke up and off the top of my head I thought Rygar. Love that game.

• Clu Clu Land
  • Pinball
  • Mach Rider
  • Wario's Woods
  • Yoshi
  • Yoshi's Cookie

The only game I could think of is Battle City

• Clu Clu Land
  • Pinball
  • Mach Rider
  • Wario's Woods
  • Yoshi
  • Yoshi's Cookie

Hrmmm, maybe add

Guardian Legend
Blaster Master
Little Nemo in Dream Land
GI Joe (might be licensing issues, and don't laugh, the first GI Joe for NES is amazing)
Adventure Island series

Josh7289

He specifically said that most people won't notice anything, but people with sensitive ears like him will notice that the noise channel is off.

There is also some mild audio latency that is not present on original hardware, but it's emulated so that's not a shocker.

Frank's tweets were basically a plea to Nintendo to sublicense code from the community (as they did for MMLC's audio) where the NES has been pretty well reverse-engineered already. He then finished by saying he would shut up because of "glass house" reasons.

I thought I noticed the noise channel sounding a little different too. So it's not just me. I didn't notice the audio latency, but now that I've read this maybe I will haha

If they were to do another one, it'd have to be pretty third party heavy to be as good:

Nintendo games:

StarTropics 2
NES Open Tournament Golf
Pinball
Super Mario Bros 2
Earthbound Beginnings
The Mysterious Murasame Castle (FDS, but was released on hanabi anyway)
Pro Wrestling (or is this owned by spike?)

Third Party:

Castlevania 3
Ducktales
Ducktales 2
Megaman 3
Monster in my Pocket
Maniac Mansion (prototype preferably)
Dragon Quest/Warrior 4
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
Little Nemo Dream Master
Bionic Commando
Super Turrican
A Boy and His Blob
Gargoyle's Quest II
Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II (there are no W&W on rare replay so I assume MS don't own the rights to it)
Wizards & Warriors III: Kuros: Visions of Power
Rainbow Islands (UK version)
Shadowgate
Swords and Serpents
Parodius Da!
Faxanadu
Parasol Stars
Rygar
Blaster Master

Totally unfeasible as it'd have to be a lot more expensive with all the extra licensing involved.

fritolay

This has 1 1/2 stars on Amazon. Many upset people that tried to by the console and could not as it sold out quickly.

Yet you can go get a PS4 Pro off the shelf today. Wowser.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Any other suggestions on what I can use to power my Famicom Mini?

The following have not worked:

1. TV USB port
2. USB port on front of receiver
3. Dell USB power adapter originally for a Windows tablet
4. Apple USB power adapter (small cube)
5. Sony portable power brick originally for Vita

I started to think it was possibly faulty but a USB port on the side of my computer monitor actually powered it on.
I also have an Anker portable charger that I haven't tried yet.

TLZ

Banned
Any other suggestions on what I can use to power my Famicom Mini?

The following have not worked:

1. TV USB port
2. USB port on front of receiver
3. Dell USB power adapter originally for a Windows tablet
4. Apple USB power adapter (small cube)
5. Sony portable power brick originally for Vita

I started to think it was possibly faulty but a USB port on the side of my computer monitor actually powered it on.
I also have an Anker portable charger that I haven't tried yet.

Well that's weird.

Cornbread78

Mini2:

Faxanadu
Stryder
RC Pro Am
Paperboy
Baseball Stars
Dragon Warrior I&II
Top Gun
TMNT
Duck Tales
Athena
Gladius
Tecmo Baseball
Tecmo Basketball
Ikari Warriors
Goonies
Karate Kid
Rygar

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head, lol.

kunonabi

Tried looking for the controller today. GameStop guy said all the stores were out and everywhere else did not even seem to be stocking them at all aside from one Target. The Target looked it had enough room for maybe one or two units tops and didn't have any controllers.

Toparaman

Banned
Is anyone else noticing an audio lag? For me it is especially noticeable in the Mario games. When I jump the sound plays when I'm at just about the peak of the jump. When I go back and forth with the 3DS version the difference is evident.

For a setup, I'm using a U.S. KS8000 in game mode. I've reduced the audio delay to zero. I've switched to internal speakers in case there was a delay with my sound bar (after switching to optical audio cable with the sound bar had no effect).

Then I tried it with an older TV -- again using the internal speaker. Still a delay.

I notice no lag with the video, by the way. The controls are very responsive. So the games remain very playable.

I'll keep trying different games. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone had noticed the same thing.

That's really disappointing.

outsidah

Really pleased with mine so far with the exception of the horrible cord length. I booked it up to my PC monitor and it's even hard to play it there.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Tried looking for the controller today. GameStop guy said all the stores were out and everywhere else did not even seem to be stocking them at all aside from one Target. The Target looked it had enough room for maybe one or two units tops and didn't have any controllers.

Believe it or not, the controller is gonna be harder to find than the system. I don't think walmart received any controllers in their store shipments.

Top Bottom