• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

ChrisD

Beat Ninja Gaiden. I abused the ever-living * out of Save Points in the final fights. What a freaking cruel joke, those.

The best way I can describe the game is an excellently designed game with horrible game design.

It's a joy to play.
Controls are snappy.
You have swift attacks and magic.
There's enemy variety.

but

The knockback and stun on enemy attacks are annoying as sin
THE BIRDS
The instant-death pits alongside THE BIRDS
The damage distribution, where guys with swords deal one damage but THE BIRDS deal three
The endless respawns of all enemies depending on screen movement - yes, EVEN FOR THE BIRDS

Finally

Losing against any three of the final bosses will send you back to the beginning of the chapter. That's a lot of ground to cover, a lot of time to get mad at THE BIRDS, and all for just one shot at one of the bosses

Also there was this one ledge that required this relatively precise wall-jump while dealing with a freaking bird, and it was the only one in the whole game. Glad there weren't more, but it was a place that has you wonder... Why?

Fun game
I got physically heated in anger at it
Would never play the Final Bosses without Save Points and will fight anyone who says it's got good design and deserves to be played "normally"

check this...

15027644_1126425240738477_4119822729345719678_n.jpg

Controllers too???

AGoodODST

Beat Ninja Gaiden. I abused the ever-living * out of Save Points in the final fights. What a freaking cruel joke, those.

The best way I can describe the game is an excellently designed game with horrible game design.

It's a joy to play.
Controls are snappy.
You have swift attacks and magic.
There's enemy variety.

but

The knockback and stun on enemy attacks are annoying as sin
THE BIRDS
The instant-death pits alongside THE BIRDS
The damage distribution, where guys with swords deal one damage but THE BIRDS deal three
The endless respawns of all enemies depending on screen movement - yes, EVEN FOR THE BIRDS

Finally

Losing against any three of the final bosses will send you back to the beginning of the chapter. That's a lot of ground to cover, a lot of time to get mad at THE BIRDS, and all for just one shot at one of the bosses

Also there was this one ledge that required this relatively precise wall-jump while dealing with a freaking bird, and it was the only one in the whole game. Glad there weren't more, but it was a place that has you wonder... Why?

Fun game
I got physically heated in anger at it
Would never play the Final Bosses without Save Points and will fight anyone who says it's got good design and deserves to be played "normally"

I just beat this the other day too! I loved every second of it, so much fun. I never got far when I played it originally but didn't have too much trouble other than the last boss rush. When you get a stages patterns down and just fly through it hitting every enemy and every item just feels so good. It's almost like a rythem game.

But yeah, fuck the hawks.

ChrisD

I just beat this the other day too! I loved every second of it, so much fun. I never got far when I played it originally but didn't have too much trouble other than the last boss rush. When you get a stages patterns down and just fly through it hitting every enemy and every item just feels so good. It's almost like a rythem game.

But yeah, fuck the hawks.

I actually went through it because I saw your post last night haha! Congrats on your victory. :)

Yeah, like, even when I got angry at stages I knew that once I got it down it would be super rewarding. Especially learning each screen's (sensible, and not those that spawn below you) enemy spawn, so you can ruthlessly cut them down like a true ninja. That's something I want to replay, honestly. But that occasional slip-up in earlier portions of a stage you've already gone through that results in either a knockback stun into a pit (Hawks) or a knockback stun onto a wall that you immediately latch onto (jumping enemies... And Hawks) just make me mad, man.

Though I have anger issues and know it, so maybe I can't pin all the blame on the game. ;-;

Thought I was out of HDMI ports. Remembered my Xbox One has an HDMI in. Also remembered I have a micro USB cord hooked up to my Xbox One.

So yes, my NES Mini is both powered and output by my Xbox, lol.

D.Lo

I forgot how used to the NESRGB 'improved' palette I am.

Everything looks sort of dirty on my mini consoles compared to it lol. 'improved' is generally more colourful and bright.

The Famicom controllers are the cutest thing ever made. But just like real ones they will wear badly, with the shiny plastic and polished metal plates. I think I'll use the NES much more because of the replaceable controllers.

AGoodODST

Thought I was out of HDMI ports. Remembered my Xbox One has an HDMI in. Also remembered I have a micro USB cord hooked up to my Xbox One.

So yes, my NES Mini is both powered and output by my Xbox, lol.

Isn't the input lag horrible? I remember playing the Wii U via the Xbox HDMI in just to test it and it was awful.

I actually went through it because I saw your post last night haha! Congrats on your victory. :)

Yeah, like, even when I got angry at stages I knew that once I got it down it would be super rewarding. Especially learning each screen's (sensible, and not those that spawn below you) enemy spawn, so you can ruthlessly cut them down like a true ninja. That's something I want to replay, honestly. But that occasional slip-up in earlier portions of a stage you've already gone through that results in either a knockback stun into a pit (Hawks) or a knockback stun onto a wall that you immediately latch onto (jumping enemies... And Hawks) just make me mad, man.

Though I have anger issues and know it, so maybe I can't pin all the blame on the game. ;-;

Nah you can definitely blame the game haha.

There is one bit in Act 3 just before the boss where you have to jump down onto a ledge where a guy is. It looks like it should be easy but as soon as you jump a fucking bird flies right at you. So annoying mastering all the stage, not getting hit, then the bird knocks you down the hole just before the boss. Hate those birds so much.

Celine

Some pics of the Fami version

The Famicom Mini Classic box is identical in size to the NES Mini Classic box

Controller has identically sized buttons and dpad as a Game Boy Micro

Original and baby!
Can you compare the NES Classim Mini pad with the Famicom Mini one?

D.Lo

Can you compare the NES Classim Mini pad with the Famicom Mini one?
NES pads are identical in size to Famicom pads, they even use the same board inside for player 1, and since the NES mini pad is a 1:1 replica, you can use the full size Famicom comparison above.

Respectfully, I think given the success of NES mini, even if they didn't originally plan to make an SNES version they will now.

Indeed I'm sure Nintendo will be looking into the SNES mini for next holiday season.

Should be very easy to secure some games from 3rd party publishers with this success. Just thinking about the list makes me drool.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
My Amazon package didn't come with the postcards :(

Oddly enough the barcode sticker I see on people's postcards was attached on the Famicom Mini box instead...

dgco86

My Amazon package didn't come with the postcards :(

Oddly enough the barcode sticker I see on people's postcards was attached on the Famicom Mini box instead...

Yeah, that's normal. I ordered the non-postcard version by mistake and the barcode sticker was on the front of the box.

Chastten

Banned
Are we thinking that it's just a matter pf time until there is an SNES Mini?

We don't have any numbers yet but I'd say there's a big chance they're going to look into it now.

SNES Mini definitely would have some extra difficulties though. Lots of the more iconic SNES games use tricks that might be harder to emulate on a €60 minibox so that will probably require a lot more work than the typical NES-game. Plus a lot of the SNES classics weren't made by Nintendo so they'd definitely need Square and a few others on board. If they can sort that out, and still offer it at an impulse-buy pricepoint I'd say they will make one.

Owari

Some pics of the Fami version

The Famicom Mini Classic box is identical in size to the NES Mini Classic box

Controller has identically sized buttons and dpad as a Game Boy Micro

Original and baby!
Do the controllers plug into the console with a Wii controller port?

maxcriden

Figured as much. Wondering if I'm better off waiting for that.

They're just two completely different products, so if these games appeal to you, I'd say go for this, and if not, wait for that. The NES classic is a quality product so I'd say if you're interested it's well worth the MSRP.

Aren't the Nintendo Classic components powerful enough to run Super Nintendo Games and N64 games? if that's true and people find ways to inject ROMs from those consoles, holy shieeetttttt!!!!

Jerm411

This was my evening last night and I LOVED every minute of it.

This little gizmo is really reigniting my passion for the hobby.

Also, it was amazing/hilarious watching my 12 year old try some of these games and absolutely struggle (and I mean that in the nicest possible way as well) It really puts it in perspective how much game design has changed since I was a kid.

Right lol....I got a teenage nephew that's a big gamer and he's pretty good at most modern stuff.

He saw me playing Castlevania II and kinda scoffed and laughed it off....I said ok and booted up Ghosts n Goblins and let him have at it, he didn't last no time on multiple runs....

I was like yeah....welcome to my world sucka lol....

I'm completely in love with this thing....

Aren't the Nintendo Classic components powerful enough to run Super Nintendo Games and N64 games? if that's true and people find ways to inject ROMs from those consoles, holy shieeetttttt!!!!

I'm sure they are but you would need a separate emulator which I guess would be more complicated. My rudimentary understanding of how these things works tells me that somewhere in the software of the NES classic there is a folder with some rom files in. All that is required to get more games working is the ability to copy files to that folder. Should be easy peasy if you can actually get into it. Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about really.

We should all twit to Nintendo so that they listen to what we want from the SNES mini. Longer cords, and the ability to get more games. Make that happened, and I won't play anything else for 5 years.

For those of you that bought extension chords, how are they working? What brand are they?

I'm sure they are but you would need a separate emulator which I guess would be more complicated. My rudimentary understanding of how these things works tells me that somewhere in the software of the NES classic there is a folder with some rom files in. All that is required to get more games working is the ability to copy files to that folder. Should be easy peasy if you can actually get into it. Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about really.

Oh yeah I forgot that we would still need an emulator for SNES and N64, well I hope they find a way to inject some more NES ROMs

Top Bottom