• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

I thought I had to get an order over $50 to get free shipping so I added another NES and placed the order but didn't let it finish because I was trying to add a controller too in a different tab. Both were showing in my cart so I thought I was home free, but then I got an error.

I got a 2nd controller though! :D That's what I wanted more than anything.

DeVeAn

this is pretty absurd. it's 2016. why not have a system where it holds in your cart for 5 minutes or something?

or a least 2 minutes. I have someone use my email for a walmart account and had to take it back. All this while in the cart. Sucks really.

Ugh. I'm going to keep the window open that says "place order" until tomorrow and spam the shit out of it. As each day passes, I get closer.

Edit: Has anyone tried calling their local gamestop to see when their next shipment is?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Has anyone heard from 8bitdo if they're working on getting external controllers connected through a Wii Remote working with the Retro Receiver?

//ARCANUM

so on the checkout page I have this:

Some of your items aren't available for pickup or delivery to #####. See details below.
Please save them for later or ship to a different ZIP Code.

And then I have the console and controller in the cart. I'm hoping I can just spam refresh tmrw at 2PST and be able to check out from here...

Ugh. I'm going to keep the window open that says "place order" until tomorrow and spam the shit out of it. As each day passes, I get closer.

Edit: Has anyone tried calling their local gamestop to see when their next shipment is?

My gamestop said and I quote "Nintendo said they aren't going to make more NES minis or controllers till after Xmas"

so on the checkout page I have this:

Some of your items aren't available for pickup or delivery to #####. See details below.
Please save them for later or ship to a different ZIP Code.

And then I have the console and controller in the cart. I'm hoping I can just spam refresh tmrw at 2PST and be able to check out from here...

That's what I did. Once that out of stock text went away, I hit checkout.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
this is pretty absurd. it's 2016. why not have a system where it holds in your cart for 5 minutes or something?

then you would've gotten the "out of stock" message when you hit "add to cart" --- and then you'd have people hammering the site for hours hoping for ones dropped from carts, etc

the fairest way is always to remove inventory on checkout, otherwise you get cart hoarding and all sorts of other such nonsense

My gamestop said and I quote "Nintendo said they aren't going to make more NES minis or controllers till after Xmas"

Remember what happened when people asked their local GameStop about the No Man's Sky delay?

Spoiler Alert, your local GameStop employees and managers don't know their ass from their elbows.

//ARCANUM

then you would've gotten the "out of stock" message when you hit "add to cart" --- and then you'd have people hammering the site for hours hoping for ones dropped from carts, etc

the fairest way is always to remove inventory on checkout, otherwise you get cart hoarding and all sorts of other such nonsense

I've just seen companies like mondotees.com do a "safe in your cart" system for a few years now and it works perfectly. and the posters they sale are more rare than the NES classic.

Sephzilla

Yeah, calling your local GameStop is probably a bad idea. One employee at my place said "we'll get restocks" and then I heard another employee (moments later) tell someone else "no more until christmas"

//ARCANUM

at this point i'd almost prefer a random time drop. at least it wouldn't be as easy for the bots... or would that be easier for them?

//ARCANUM

Yeah, calling your local GameStop is probably a bad idea. One employee at my place said "we'll get restocks" and then I heard another employee (moments later) tell someone else "no more until christmas"

i worked at GameStop around 2006~2007 and my manager told me to always provide an answer even if I didn't know. He actually said to just make stuff up because if I said I wasn't sure about something, then I would look bad to the company. LOL. Not sure if that was just my manager at the time or a top down policy....

I can't believe just trying to get through the order process is going to take 3 days. I better be able to complete it tomorrow considering I'm at the place order button!

I like how most if this thread is about purchasing the darn thing and not about the games on it. (Sorry I know a lot were unable to pick it up)

Seeing how a lot of these games have been rereleased many times and/or made available on virtual console or on DS or even emus. Why is everyone wanting this so bad?

I personally picked it up as a nostalgia factor, collectable, fun, and also because I enjoy nearly every game on it. Some I never had a chance to play and now I do.

That being said, I hope all of you posting about an SNES mini make enough noise to get it made. I'd buy that for a $

k91191

Got a console from Walmart at 5pm.

When I submitted the order, the page froze for almost a full minute. I almost had a heart attack, but the order managed to go through!

Did anyone bring this up yesterday?

u81fN9U.jpg

maxcriden

That's the bot someone posted an article about a couple pages ago saying it's buying up stock of the system before humans can.

I'm surprised and glad anyone of you were able to get it. For those still trying, I hope you can get it tomorrow.

Toparaman

Banned
I like how most if this thread is about purchasing the darn thing and not about the games on it. (Sorry I know a lot were unable to pick it up)

Seeing how a lot of these games have been rereleased many times and/or made available on virtual console or on DS or even emus. Why is everyone wanting this so bad?

I personally picked it up as a nostalgia factor, collectable, fun, and also because I enjoy nearly every game on it. Some I never had a chance to play and now I do.

That being said, I hope all of you posting about an SNES mini make enough noise to get it made. I'd buy that for a $

Real NES controller, cute form factor, good emulation quality, good supplemental features, good game lineup, and it's at the right price.

I'm aware how easy it is to emulate NES. But this device offers a better experience than just playing on my laptop/phone.

lol bots for a $60 product thats gonna get flooded next month

yeezys x jordans I understand but this, lol
like I told my brother who is hyped to play due to the shortages, hes just gonna play it once and thats it or every now and then.

just wait people and you'll get it

Raziel

Sad to say but in absence of Nintendo allowing pre-orders (as a game company in 2016 is prone to do) or a flood of stock, you probably already struck out any restock before the holidays.

SalvaPot

Is there a dedicated thread for the interviews? I love this segment from the Balloon Fight one:

Balloon Trip is a single-player side-scrolling game in Balloon Fight. Apparently, Iwata-san made it in just three days.

Sakamoto: That's right. It came from an inspiration Yokoi-san had. He told us what kind of vision he had for the game and Iwata-san basically made it in three days. About the time the game was reaching completion, Yokoi-san came up to Iwata-san and myself. He and Iwata-san were acquainted by that time, so after a brief greeting he started playing Balloon Trip. And as usual, he played for a long time.

Of course! (laughs)

Sakamoto: Then, after playing through, he told Iwata-san a bunch of things he'd like to have fixed, but they weren't easy fixes. I say this because at the time, programmers would put out on paper what they had programmed and then do corrections while consulting a stack of paper as thick as a phone book.

Those were difficult times.

Sakamoto: Just fixing a few places would take at least an hour, so Yokoi-san must have intended to go back to his desk and have a cup of coffee or something until the revisions were finished. But when he stood up to leave, Iwata-san said, "Just hold on a sec," and began typing away on the keyboard. Then he said, "All done!"

Whoa!

Sakamoto: I was amazed that he could make the revisions so quickly, and even today I remember how Yokoi-san exclaimed, "Already?!"

That's incredible…I'm speechless!

Sakamoto: Iwata-san had memorized the program.

Everyone considered Iwata-san a genius programmer, but hearing that story makes me realize it all over again.

Sakamoto: Yes, it really does.

Raitaro

I finally got the thread title when I opened my box this morning: no adapter included in Europe. Somehow I missed this tidbit. Why only here when even Japan got one? Sigh...

In some ways we got a bit of a raw deal here. Same price, no adapter, no poster or postcards, and no exclusive games (such as Nintendo World Cup to replace the - imo not really popular in Europe - Tecmo Bowl). Guess the better availability does counter these shortcomings but still.

Now to test whether my TV will be able to power this thing. If it will not, I'll have to make use of an older smart device connecter I guess.

Edit: the TV does indeed power the mini NES so having no adapter is less of an issue now.

GeNoMe

I finally got the thread title when I opened my box this morning: no adapter included in Europe. Somehow I missed this tidbit. Why only here when even Japan got one? Sigh...

In some ways we got a bit of a raw deal here. Same price, no adapter and no poster or postcards. Guess the better availability does counter this but still.

Now to test whether my TV will be able to power this thing. If it will not, I'll have to make use of an older smart device connecter I guess.

This felt like a slap in the face to the core fans. I would have loved to find these (poster/cards) while unpacking. It would have added to the whole back in time experience, guess Nintendo doesn't give shit about it's EU fans.

Top Bottom