• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

Probably a dumb question.

Can the NES Classic be powered through one of my PS4's USB ports?

I've read on other posts in various threads on NeoGAF that:
1) (at least the US version) comes with an AC adapter.
2) You can plug it into any USB port and it should power the thing.

I was thinking of doing the same thing actually. You could try your TV's USB port also (if it has one) or a USB -> AC adapter.

I don't know for sure, but since PC and TV USB ports work, I'd say the chances are good.

I've read on other posts in various threads on NeoGAF that:
1) (at least the US version) comes with an AC adapter.
2) You can plug it into any USB port and it should power the thing.

I was thinking of doing the same thing actually. You could try your TV's USB port also (if it has one) or a USB -> AC adapter.

Thanks! Man, this would be hugely convenient for me.

Man I underestimated demand for this thing. Like I knew Nintendo probably wouldn't ship Wii U number of units but figured people would pick it up as an odd curiosity and not like Xbox 360-launch style camping out and shit.

In hindsight I'm super fortunate that Target preorder in the tiny window I had paid off.

optimiss

That's awesome. I'm assuming you were the first in line? Lucky you managed to snag one...

Haha yeah. I'm amazed they didn't sell out at the midnight launch. They must have had a zillion of them. It looked like they had about 50 left when I got there. They could have had more in the back though.

5iXEXsf.jpg

Seriously though I hope Nintendo gets a lot more of these out within the next few months

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I was incredibly lucky to have a good friend snag me one. It was out of stock in the major videogame branches here but there was 2 left in a Toys-R-Us branch. A guy behind the line kinda got mad at him coz he was supposed to buy the other one but my friend bought 2 systems (1 for him, 1 for me).

It was the EU version though. Is the EU version just as in demand as the US version?

What's exactly wrong with this? I've played Castlevania for about an hour and haven't heard a thing wrong. Well except for when resetting that the pitch seems to slightly increase.

Frank Cifaldi said the sound is noticeably off to him and he's well familiar with NES and emulation of it including Wii U and community software.

-shadow-

It was the EU version though. Is the EU version just as in demand as the US version?
It's identical hardware. Just the packaging is different. So I assume yes.

Frank Cifaldi said the sound is noticeably off to him and he's well familiar with NES and emulation of it including Wii U and community software.
Can't say I've noticed anything myself.

I'm by no means an expert on emulation but really enjoyed my time with this today. Colour is so much better than the washed out wii versions. I like the whole interface as well, though it's annoying to have to go to the system to reset it. Feels like it should be on the controller
If you have a Wii Classic Controller you can use the Home button to reset the system.

SeanR1221

I'd asssume Nintendo will pack stores full of this thing on Black Friday.

No point in making it rare when their focus will switch to the switch (lol) in a few months.

CackleAndHide

Neo Member
I'm by no means an expert on emulation but really enjoyed my time with this today. Colour is so much better than the washed out wii versions. I like the whole interface as well, though it's annoying to have to go to the system to reset it. Feels like it should be on the controller

The worst part is after every retailer has done their first initial batch, and now any batches after that seem to mostly go up at random, and are unannounced.

I don't think I have any hope in the world of getting one.

I'd asssume Nintendo will pack stores full of this thing on Black Friday.

No point in making it rare when their focus will switch to the switch (lol) in a few months.
This thing's a toy, not a console. They could release a SNES version alongside the Switch, and people would still buy both. They're treating this more like Amiibos so far.

Once they sell one, they have no reason to get people to hang onto them. Games aren't being released for them post-launch (unless I'm mistaken?). Nothing matters for these beyond initial sales.

gwailo

Banned
I'm at the Mall of America now and no place has it. Dude at one of the Gamestops said they're getting some in for black Friday.

My neighborhood game shop here in Taipei has the Japanese Famicom one.

It's $100 though.

Not really interested, but maybe someone in the west might be?

I'd be willing to trade it for the NA one.

MisterHero

Double Dragon 1 isn't multiplayer, right? Shame about that since the soundtrack is so nostalgic for me. DD2 not so much.

Same for Contra.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Had no intention of buying this, but all the hype and people scrambling to pick it up caused me to walk into an EB and pick it up. Now I'm kind of tempted to sell it considering how much it's going for.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I need a cheat sheet faq..
These games are WAY to hard haha..

Just tried zelda that game is hard as nails

D.Lo

OP, add a photo of the best box, the Australian one.

A more classic NES Box than the US Box. Like the EU box except without 83 hideous logos.

nes.jpg

Sorry if this is derailing the topic, but is there a good walkthrough or guide for Final Fantasy? I'm playing a bit of it but I never got used to magic being limited.

Sorry if this is derailing the topic, but is there a good walkthrough or guide for Final Fantasy? I'm playing a bit of it but I never got used to magic being limited.

Haha I attempted the game earlier. Went straight from the castle to the north west against the prince and got owned. I thought we were meant to die kinda like link gets leveled by ganondorf in OoT. Man was I wrong, it was game over right away. Didn't know I could enter the village by the castle first time. Now I'm having fun with it.

Minions

I work at Target and was told we should be expecting shipments every week.

By who if you don't mind me asking? Just curious if Nintendo/Distros were saying this. Some other people had posted (I think in Australia?) that their retailer was not planning to get more until early December.

If Nintendo underestimated demand there should be a gap between launch and when they ramp up production again I'd think. Unless they already started ramping back up before launch. This feels just like the Wiis launch...

By who if you don't mind me asking? Just curious if Nintendo/Distros were saying this. Some other people had posted (I think in Australia?) that their retailer was not planning to get more until early December.

If Nintendo underestimated demand there should be a gap between launch and when they ramp up production again I'd think. Unless they already started ramping back up before launch. This feels just like the Wiis launch...
Just one of the team leads so grain of salt and all that.

starmud

I work at Target and was told we should be expecting shipments every week.

Region 200, we were told limited inventory shipments weekly for the rest of Q4... trying to secure additional inventory and the item will still be featured in three upcoming ads with disclaimer that while advertised we can't guarantee any stock lol

mcfrank

Just plugged mine in and started Mario 3 but I am getting a lot of weird graphical glitches at the far sides of the screen. It is the only game I have tried. Anyone else?

Just plugged mine in and started Mario 3 but I am getting a lot of weird graphical glitches at the far sides of the screen. It is the only game I have tried. Anyone else?

Look at any YouTube video of the game and see if it matches what you're seeing. That's just what Mario 3 looks like. If it's been ages since you've played it, you probably just didn't remember it.

EDIT: It has something to do with the way Mario 3 loaded and streamed things I think. That far side of the screen wasn't viewable in most CRT screens at the time, so I think the devs used it as a means of handling sprite loading/unloading but now with ROMs and that no longer being hidden, you can see the odd garbage on the edge of the screen. Don't quote me specifically, I just think it had something to do with that. I know a lot of late NES games did something similar.

Top Bottom