• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

So there's no way anyone has ever beaten Ninja Gaiden without save states right? Christ.

I did 25 some years ago.. 1 and 2 actually. But yeah peeople do speed runs in like 17 minutes nowadays. I prob couldn't/wouldn't nowadays though. Grinding through that stuff isn't fun anymore to me.

Psxphile

So there's no way anyone has ever beaten Ninja Gaiden without save states right? Christ.

H5c7RKJ.png

Tarin02543

the first videogame i ever played was megaman3 on a rented nes.

not wanting to lose progress I left on the nes during the night as well as the tv, as I believed that the tv was part of the system somehow.

Koren

The NES fully powered up uses significantly less power than any modern console's standby mode. It would barely register on any electricity bill.
That's not true... NES use ~10W, at least on par with any console even on connected standby (well, except maybe X360 that was apparently hungry in connected standby, but at ~15W)

24h of NES is nearly two months of Wii U in standby.

I have :). First time I beat 1 and 2 were with save states. After beating battletoads for the first time I ended up revisiting the NG series and managed to go through each one without save states.

JP

Just bought one from store.nintendo.co.uk, due to be dispatched today. :)

EDIT:
Direct Link - Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System - £49.99 (Shows as Out of Stock now but I don't know if it's showing that way because of the "one per customer" limit that's in place.)
I've never bought hardware from Nintendo before so I'm sure how their system works but mine is still showing as Processing with an Estimated Dispatch Date of the 27th January. when I go into the order it shows as Awaiting Stock Pick.

For people who have bought consoles from them previously, is this normal for Nintendo? They haven't even attempted top take payment from my PayPal account and it was Friday that I placed the order.

I would contact them but I don't want them to say that they've messed up and cancel the order or something. :(

Anyone have a good tutorial on the soft mod?

Being almost foreign to doing this kind of stuff, I was able to do it just based on the link provided and YouTube.

I did run into one problem which was the driver part when trying to synch the games into the NES. I had to do the shift+restart on the computer since I'm on Windows 10 to turn off the driver signature setting.

After all that it was fine. I only added 4 games just for testing it out. Everything worked out fine.

BigFwoosh

Somehow stumbled upon one of these at a Walmart during my lunch break. They only got one in and they guy said it had been out for about 5 minutes before I snagged it. Didn't find anything else I needed at the store, but this is good enough!

JP

Just bought one from store.nintendo.co.uk, due to be dispatched today. :)

EDIT:
Direct Link - Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System - £49.99 (Shows as Out of Stock now but I don't know if it's showing that way because of the "one per customer" limit that's in place.)
I've never bought hardware from Nintendo before so I'm sure how their system works but mine is still showing as Processing with an Estimated Dispatch Date of the 27th January. when I go into the order it shows as Awaiting Stock Pick.

For people who have bought consoles from them previously, is this normal for Nintendo? They haven't even attempted top take payment from my PayPal account and it was Friday that I placed the order.

I would contact them but I don't want them to say that they've messed up and cancel the order or something. :(
And, there we go, that was bound to happen really. Just received an email to say that it's on it's now been dispatched and should be here "On or before 31st January".

Really looking forward to this now, I've got everything set up and ready to go. 😊

so just got my gamestop bundle in the mail, the system and the wireless controller. The receipt shows 2 items, with different numbers, not a bundle purchase.

Since it is showing 2 separate items with 2 different order numbers, and the receipt shows nothing about unable to return separate items, do you think I would be able to return in store just the controller? if not, that is ok I guess

N.Domixis

Banned
mine came in today. Got damn, feels so good to have one, even though the zelda bundle cost me $141 it was worth it. now to hack it.

Pinky

Banned
Thoughts on the 3rd party pad?

Played SMB 3 with it just a few minutes ago. It's not bad! D-pad is a little smaller and shaped slightly different, but, overall, it works well. The big bonus is that it's wireless, so I can sit back on my couch instead of sitting 3 feet away from the TV on the floor. :p

so just got my gamestop bundle in the mail, the system and the wireless controller. The receipt shows 2 items, with different numbers, not a bundle purchase.

Since it is showing 2 separate items with 2 different order numbers, and the receipt shows nothing about unable to return separate items, do you think I would be able to return in store just the controller? if not, that is ok I guess

You probably can but when you check out you'll likely find that your controller isn't worth quite the difference between the NES Classic and the bundle price. Basically, they value the NES Classic at more than $59.99 when you do this. But yes, it is an option.

JP

Mine was delivered earlier. 🙂

Had a very quick look at it before having to go out and I'm impressed so far. Will hopefully get time to set it up and have a proper play later.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but anyone looking for another controller would be better off buying the superior Wii Classic Controller over some third party one.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but anyone looking for another controller would be better off buying the superior Wii Classic Controller over some third party one.

I just bought the official nes classic controller off of ebay for $35 brand new. Obviously a big mark up, but I don't think it's absurd considering what controllers go for these days. With my luck there will be bunch of them available online for the MSRP of $9.99 in the next couple of days lol.

BriGuy

I'm secretly hoping someone gets SNES games running on this thing so I can use that controller to its fullest.

1.5 mil classics and fami sold worldwide

In November last year, we brought back the
nostalgic Famicom and NES home consoles in palmsized
versions and shipped the entire quantity of
Nintendo Classic Mini Family Computer units we
initially prepared for each market. We apologize to
our consumers and retail partners for the
inconvenience caused by product shortages. Some
parts require time to procure, but we are working to
increase production. We also see the nostalgic
interest in these products as an opportunity to draw
consumers’ attention to our latest game system,
Nintendo Switch.

Nintendo short the minis to draw up switch attention? Perhaps..

ColdPizza

Banned
Just got the last one at my area Target this morning. Brickseek said 4, so I thought why the hell not.

I walk to the electronics section and go to the Nintendo display, and a guy working back there goes "it's over here."

lol

He knew I was thirsty.

Any good cord extenders or wireless controller options?

Robin64

If you're in London, the Smyths at Charlton Peninsula Retail Park (near the Thames, I think? South of it?) have stock.

tuco11

My Target and other Targets around me each got like 5-7 this morning. My fiance' managed to score one for me.

Question:

Is there any way I can hook up the old NES Advantage to this? Or is there an identical other option that can be used? I need it for Ring King.

My Target and other Targets around me each got like 5-7 this morning. My fiance' managed to score one for me.

Question:

Is there any way I can hook up the old NES Advantage to this? Or is there an identical other option that can be used? I need it for Ring King.

Emio makes an arcade stick called the Edge. It's microswitched, which in my opinion would make it better than the rubber membranes of the original Advantage, but consequently it might feel unusual to you if you expect an Advantage-like experience. Try before you buy if you can.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Question:

Emio's Advantage clone is way better than I expected it would be, feels perfect wired and even over wiimote wireless, comes with both ball stick and bat stick toppers, and this cool little strategy guide for all the NES Classics games. Even the box is pretty:

Hobbun

Emio's Advantage clone is way better than I expected it would be, feels perfect wired and even over wiimote wireless, comes with both ball stick and bat stick toppers, and this cool little strategy guide for all the NES Classics games. Even the box is pretty:

I had thought there were issues with this controller? The main one that it didn’t even work with the Classic (even though advertised it did).

Did they fix it?

tuco11

Some of the reviews on Amazon mention the buttons are very loud when you press them. Is that true?

thanks for the suggestion btw!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Some of the reviews on Amazon mention the buttons are very loud when you press them. Is that true?

thanks for the suggestion btw!
Clicky buttons and stick. They don't really ring out, it's more of a tick-tick sound, and it gives good feedback.

Top Bottom