• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

jesu

My pre-order just started updating.
I thought it was already installed but I guess it's doing it now?
It's not the patch because it's going too slow.

Halo hype always works this way for me, never too hyped about it throughout the year, don't really look at previews or anything, but like 2 weeks before it releases it becomes unbearable. I need to stay away from these videos though, don't want to spoil any mission in the game let alone 4

Might let myself watch the first mission.. maybe.. but then I don't know if I can stop.

I need to cryo freeze myself for the next week and a half damn it!

Madness

Same, I'm not watching. That's just crazy, 4 whole missions, almost 1/3rd the game. I guess this is just the industry these days, in the era of the let's play etc. I've never known MORE about a Halo game before launch than Halo 5. Even the trailers have shown more than I would've liked. Oh well, 12 days out.

Nowise10

Xbox emailed me an early Halo 5 Beta code last year, but no code for Halo 5.

How big does a YT channel gotta be yo

Still gonna make prime Halo 5 videos. 12 more days.

#teamblimblim

RR1WuBO.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Xbox emailed me an early Halo 5 Beta code last year, but no code for Halo 5.

How big does a YT channel gotta be yo

Still gonna make prime Halo 5 videos. 12 more days.

The channel I make content for, COIN-OP TV, has 98,000 subs and we haven't heard back either. Halo is popular! :p

Hawk SE

I have all the faith I can have in 343i and Halo 5,but I am surprised with that embargo. Unexpected.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the tight embargo, that's more about preserving spoilers as much as possible. Be glad we (reviewers) have the game 12 days early. That's a sign of confidence in the product.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the tight embargo, that's more about preserving spoilers as much as possible. Be glad we (reviewers) have the game 12 days early. That's a sign of confidence in the product.

Ooooh nice, I did not know that. That's definitely a good sign yeah. And yeah speaking of tight embargoes.... GTA V was one of those too.

Madness

Just so weird that 7 foot soldiers with massive visors and helmets would try and aim down sights with their guns when their helmets should be giving them the reticle position of where it will fire exactly. Old news at this point, but it's such a backwards move in my view. The lore fit perfectly too and you got all the screen real estate you needed. Sigh. But no, their 'new' smartlink means their visor goes perfectly behind the sights of a gun, even forerunner ones.

Just so weird that 7 foot soldiers with massive visors and helmets would try and aim down sights with their guns when their helmets should be giving them the reticle position of where it will fire exactly. Old news at this point, but it's such a backwards move in my view. The lore fit perfectly too and you got all the screen real estate you needed. Sigh. But no, their 'new' smartlink means their visor goes perfectly behind the sights of a gun, even forerunner ones.

That's good shooting posture. There's a reason we shoot the way we do.

Some of them, like the assault rifle, it doesnt seem like they're looking down sights.. but holding the gun in a manner that gives them better stability and aim.

Also, for Fireteam Osiris.. they were likely trained their whole lives with a standard way of aiming down sights.. so it would naturally translate to them doing it by habit as Spartans.

The SII's? I dunno. Again, could be trained into them way back when.. or whatever.

Sai

I think that only applied to weapons that had scopes built-in, like a wireless link to it from the armor's heads up display.

I agree that it's kind of a step back, particularly for weapons like the Magnum and DMR; we should have more traditional magnification for weapons like that. Smart-Link does look pretty slick, and it's implementation is more fitting for weapons like the AR.

Also, nice looking avenue for more alternate firing modes across the entire weapon sandbox.

Madness

That's good shooting posture. There's a reason we shoot the way we do.

We're 500 years in the future and lore wise the helmets aim and zoom with pinpoint accuracy where the bullet will land when aiming. Why would you cover half your sight when you'd know where it would be shot?

Eh, I don't think it was any more in line with the lore before considering the reticle has always been at the center of your vision even when your gun is bouncing up and down. It wouldn't actually be like that unless your weapons had homing rounds.
I know nothing of the lore so I'm just guessing and you should probably ignore this

Watch it but keep it mute and don't look when there's cutscenes

Cheers dude but the decision has been made for me.

I'm in the preview program and Twitch needs a 5.3MB update and it won't install it, just keep getting a pop up saying Installation Stopped.

Oh well, back to reading everyone here's thoughts, yay :)

We're 500 years in the future and lore wise the helmets aim and zoom with pinpoint accuracy where the bullet will land when aiming. Why would you cover half your sight when you'd know where it would be shot?

Also, why would that explain why every gun is directly in the middle of the screen right between the eyes, where the nose would be?

It's a stability thing. Even if we had smart link today, we'd shoulder the rifle the same way. I imagine they aren't shooting 5.56 rounds either, those guns are massive. As for the nose/center of face thing, idk.

I don't think it's too far fetched. I would argue that they wouldn've devised a way to have great field of view when zoomed. A lot of people shoot with both eyes open nowadays for a little situational awareness.

Madness

I put on the stream for a bit. The lighting and graphics look pretty great to me. Had to turn it off as soon as a cutscene started.

Ammo looked to be on the ground for a long time too, no quick despawns so that's great.

nib95

Banned
I like that it looks pretty tough, and overall things flow well and look satisfying. Is this early on in the game? It does seem as though difficulty is more because of the sheer volume of enemies than the actual quality of the AI itself. My guess is the AI routines won't feel as competent because they're having to contend with multiple allies instead of just you (hence their focus is often being split). Side note, it is definitely noticeable when the resolution drops, aliasing and shimmering suddenly appeared with a vengeance in that last firefight.

I like that it looks pretty tough, and overall things flow well and look satisfying. Is this early on in the game? It does seem as though difficulty is more because of the sheer volume of enemies than the actual quality of the AI itself. My guess is the AI routines won't feel as competent because they're having to contend with multiple allies instead of just you (hence their focus is often being split). Side note, it is definitely noticeable when the resolution drops, aliasing and shimmering suddenly appeared with a vengeance in that last firefight.

Pretty sure they're streaming the first 4 missions of the game so early on

Top Bottom