• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Media

ReaperXL7

Yeah the load time looks to be quite long especially when compared to a Bethesda RPG.

The camera self adjustment will get annoying and the HUD is too cluttered for my tastes. Hopefully there'll be some customization options with regards to those 2 minor things. The combat looks to be the best part(aside from not knowing anything about the story/lore)

Can't wait to play the demo tomorrow! =D

Well keep in mind that they are not playing the retail build, and I doubt they have the game installed to their harddrive, but I don't know how much those things will change.
I agree on the camera though, it's really the one thing i've seen in videos that i'm worried about overall.

As far as the HUD goes i'm not sure i'm seeing what the issue is, I mean it's not the most stylish UI in the world, but it seems pretty user friendly. Especially when looking at how it allows you to compare loot, to your current gear, the junk feature, and the menus look fine to me. Not saying there is not an issue with it, i'm not just seeing what it is so can someone explain that bit to me?

Wallach

As far as the HUD goes i'm not sure i'm seeing what the issue is, I mean it's not the most stylish UI in the world, but it seems pretty user friendly. Especially when looking at how it allows you to compare loot, to your current gear, the junk feature, and the menus look fine to me. Not saying there is not an issue with it, i'm not just seeing what it is so can someone explain that bit to me?

I don't have any issue with the functionality they've shown, it looks nice as far as that goes. For my part though, it seems enormous. Like every UI element on the screen during normal gameplay seems like it is 2-3 times the size I'd care for it to be. I'm hoping that there's some scaling changes for the PC version.

ironcreed

Banned
Well keep in mind that they are not playing the retail build, and I doubt they have the game installed to their harddrive, but I don't know how much those things will change.
I agree on the camera though, it's really the one thing i've seen in videos that i'm worried about overall.

I am good with it also. I especially love that I can compare loot, separate junk and sell it all at once when I visit a vendor. As far as the HUD, I love having a mini-map and the health bar and button icons for what I have equipped is pretty standard fare. I have seen it enough that such common place features do not even phase me. All I care about is if the game is good or not, and thankfully, this one looks fantastic.

ReaperXL7

I don't have any issue with the functionality they've shown, it looks nice as far as that goes. For my part though, it seems enormous. Like every UI element on the screen during normal gameplay seems like it is 2-3 times the size I'd care for it to be. I'm hoping that there's some scaling changes for the PC version.

Ahh ok, I can see the size being an issue for some, it does look alittle large in a few areas. I'm not sure what the PC features are like in this reguard, but they have stated a couple of time in interviews and such that each version was developed seperately, and they don't have a "lead" platform, Hence the KB/M=Controller interface swapping on the fly.

When will the PC demo be available?

The demo will be available on all platforms tomarrow, worldwide. No specifics on time though.

The HUD I'm referring to is what's displayed on screen for the entirety of the game(health bar, mana bar, mini map, and that ginormous level bar at the bottom of the screen). You're referencing the menu UI when the game is paused.

A developer goes to great lengths to achieve certain level of IQ, effects, and animation and a busy HUD just shits all over that. I'm a HUD minimalist. For me all that crap on screen breaks the immersion.

In Dead Island, Techland let you turn off a bunch of that crap and I love them for it. Skyrim's HUD was very minimal as well. In Dead Space they use the character's suit to convey player health and the like.

For me, I know when an enemy is dead when they collapse lifelessly to the ground. I don't need to see a diminishing life bar and random HP numbers ticking off them with each hit.

shaowebb

So what sort of builds is everyone planning for their character?

I'm a stealthy guy, and I love getting extra dialogue so lots of charisma-type building and stealth from me. However, I love me some combos being a UMVC3 guy so I'll likely try to incorporate either the fastest dual wield weapons I can get on him for maximum number of hits or experiment with a bow for juggling with arrows since I love archer characters and ridiculous arrow combos excite me.

So pumped for weapon forging, gem crafting, and alchemy. I'm gonna loot every trap ever made for gems and see what kind of devious sneaky weapons I can put into play during combat. I wonder if I can get a dagger and a bow...

ReaperXL7

The HUD I'm referring to is what's displayed on screen for the entirety of the game(health bar, mana bar, mini map, and that ginormous level bar at the bottom of the screen). You're referencing the menu UI when the game is paused.

A developer goes to great lengths to achieve certain level of IQ, effects, and animation and a busy HUD just shits all over that. I'm a HUD minimalist. For me all that crap on screen breaks the immersion.

In Dead Island, Techland let you turn off a bunch of that crap and I love them for it. Skyrim's HUD was very minimal as well. In Dead Space they use the character's suit to convey player health and the like.

For me, I know when an enemy is dead when they collapse lifelessly to the ground. I don't need to see a diminishing life bar and random HP numbers ticking off them with each hit.

Ahh ok, understood now. I'm not sure how much they have planned to allow tweaking of that kind of stuff. However I do know that they support modding, although they sadly could not provide the tools to help in that reguard for reckoning. So i'm not really sure how modding is done without the tools, but the developers don't have an issue with stuff like that. So at the very least either maybe they can put out a patch to allow more options for that stuff, Or someone can find a way to modd it out.

You can see my "planned" build here, but it might change depending on different things

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34314296&postcount=436

Especially since this armor:

Nightblade.jpg

Looks so damn awesome, it's finesse though.

shaowebb

I so want the special edition for those cards, but Its looking rough for me to even sell up enough older stuff to get this at launch. After X-mas all hours drop at my job. Can't wait to graduate so I can try to make some real money to blow on good titles at launch like this.

I'm thinking I'll tweak an Avenger or Warden class to my liking (either for bow bonuses or armor penetration bonus reasons) if I can make a bow with enough delicious properties. Failing superbow I'll be going dual wield weapons. Whatever hits the fastest and going pure speed and stealth/detection/disarm/backstab in skills. Loot it all and kill it all through stealth baby. I am the wind that blows like death through the nights of Amalur leaving what was once fruitful a desert wasteland of nothing. I am Scirroco...

ironcreed

Banned
I am planning to go more of a Battle Mage type of route on my first go, but I think this game just might have one of the most bad ass rogue paths I can recall as far as I can tell. It will definitely be a must to do that build as well.

Thanks the this thread OP as I had no idea this game existed. Its gone from obscurity to a day one buy, easily.

The name works against it imho, but once you read up on all the game systems and see how simple and polished it looks when it comes together it's hard not to fiend for a game like this.

jogarrr

Some type of sword and shield character. Preferably a lightly armored, fast, agile, shield bashing dudes in the face sword/shield character. So I guess some Might and some Finesse.

I hope the demo gives a good taste of different types of builds.

Nista

Ahh ok, understood now. I'm not sure how much they have planned to allow tweaking of that kind of stuff. However I do know that they support modding, although they sadly could not provide the tools to help in that reguard for reckoning. So i'm not really sure how modding is done without the tools, but the developers don't have an issue with stuff like that. So at the very least either maybe they can put out a patch to allow more options for that stuff, Or someone can find a way to modd it out.

That is probably going to be difficult, but I don't put it past resourceful people to find a way to mod the UI resources. What I'd really love is a patch/mod to make it work with Kinect. That would be hilarious.

My dislike is actually for the menu screen, not the HUD in particular. It took me way too long to figure out what gear to use and I spent too much time shifting everything to junk. That was a worst case scenario though, since I had a completely full inventory of unique weapons at the time. My kingdom for a multi-select on PCs!

I can understand how people could find the HUD intrusive, but I rarely looked at it when playing because I was too busy looking at all the cool environmental art. Overall it just feels less next-gen than the rest of the game.

H3xum

Just listened to the Giantbomb Kingdomcast and learned something very important, important to me at least.

The fact that you can respec at anytime is great, all RPGs need this. Without a system like that I feel confined and am overly cautious and quite frankly don't experience half of what the game has to offer due to fear of running into something I'm not built to handle 3/4 of the way through the game.

Another tally under the Good column. I think I'm going to get the LE.

abundant

I was planning a Battle Mage, but once I saw the Destinies and there benefits, I'm now making a Shadowcaster (Mage/Rouge).

I'm a stealthy guy, and I love getting extra dialogue so lots of charisma-type building and stealth from me. However, I love me some combos being a UMVC3 guy so I'll likely try to incorporate either the fastest dual wield weapons I can get on him for maximum number of hits or experiment with a bow for juggling with arrows since I love archer characters and ridiculous arrow combos excite me.

So pumped for weapon forging, gem crafting, and alchemy. I'm gonna loot every trap ever made for gems and see what kind of devious sneaky weapons I can put into play during combat. I wonder if I can get a dagger and a bow...

A battlemage, for me. We'll see how many permutations I can get from there.

Ilive1up

this looks very good.

just listened to the weekend confirmed with the makers of this game talking about it.

i still haven't finished skyrim, so i will probably hold off getting it for a bit, but it looks real promising.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Just listened to the Giantbomb Kingdomcast and learned something very important, important to me at least.

The fact that you can respec at anytime is great, all RPGs need this. Without a system like that I feel confined and am overly cautious and quite frankly don't experience half of what the game has to offer due to fear of running into something I'm not built to handle 3/4 of the way through the game.

Another tally under the Good column. I think I'm going to get the LE.

You can't just re-spec anything can you? I mean, once you put points into something does that mean you can just take them right back out?

You can't just re-spec anything can you? I mean, once you put points into something does that mean you can just take them right back out?

I think you can respec everything. It resets everything.

So you can go from full Finesse and non-crafting skills to full Might with crafting skills.

I can understand how people could find the HUD intrusive, but I rarely looked at it when playing because I was too busy looking at all the cool environmental art. Overall it just feels less next-gen than the rest of the game.

Are there any HUD customization options when in the menu? Like turning down the HUD opacity and things of that ilk?

After coming from Skyrim so soon the HUD looks a little too intrusive but I'm also coming to the realization that KoA:R is much more heavily combat driven where Skyrim is more evenly split with the combat and exploration.

Archmage or maybe Spellcloak

Are there any HUD customization options when in the menu? Like turning down the HUD opacity and things of that ilk?

After coming from Skyrim so soon the HUD looks a little too intrusive but I'm also coming to the realization that KoA:R is much more heavily combat driven where Skyrim is more evenly split with the combat and exploration.

The HUD is fine, you won't notice it a few hours in. I mean hell, Dark Souls has just as much HUD and a much more hyper-realistic art style and it's fine there.

RPGCrazied

Will check out the PS3 demo. Hopefully the version is playable, unlike some other games for the system. ...*cough*skyrim*cough*

Boooo will be at work then!!

If you leave your 360 on and add a game to your DL Queue on PC does it start there and then?

I did the transfer license tool online when replaced my old 360 a few months back. I had my 360 on and added items to my download queue from my computer and they started right away automatically on my 360. I assume it would work the same for demos.

Derrick01

Banned
Let me guess, the PC demo is Origin only? Or is that unknown still?

I mean it's not a huge deal I can download it on ps3 too. Would prefer PC though.

Abylim

This is day one for me. Even ahead of FF13-2!
I cant wait for the demo, and I cant wait for this game. Everything I've read seems like it was made for me. I actually like the fact that the world is abit more closed off than Skyrim.

And the builds! Seems so indepth, and interesting. Been dying for some good RPG's on my PS3, 2012 seems like the year of the RPG.

A side note, was GAF down for everyone else for a few hours? I couldnt connect to the site at all =\

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I never heard of this game until today. One of my co-workers mentioned it, I looked it up, and now it's a must have for me. Damn. I don't know if I'll get it day one, but I'll certainly own it sooner, rather than later. Damn Vita is eating up my funds for next month.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Let me guess, the PC demo is Origin only? Or is that unknown still?

I mean it's not a huge deal I can download it on ps3 too. Would prefer PC though.

It's Origin. They said as much in the demo FAQ.

ReaperXL7

It's Origin. They said as much in the demo FAQ.

Correction, you don't need to download origin, if i'm not mistaken you only need an Origin account for the items you get from completing the demo to transfer to the final game. I'm looking further into it but that seems to be the general consenus on the reckoning forums.

Nista

Correction, you don't need to download origin, if i'm not mistaken you only need an Origin account for the items you get from completing the demo to transfer to the final game. I'm looking further into it but that seems to be the general consenus on the reckoning forums.

Yeah it's the same methodology as the ME2/Dragon Age item unlocks. Origin's just a fancy name for the EA Account in this case. Just don't get yourself banned on their forums!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So the full version of the game won't be on Origin but the demo will? Why is that?

I'm pretty sure the full version IS on Origin, but not exclusive.

thetrin

Oh ok. Then I shall not redownload Origin.

Dear god, let that be true.

It might just be.

Top Bottom