• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MC which game the franchise a breath of fresh air

geary

Started these days Yakuza: Like a Dragon, with Ichiban as the new lead and for the it game the franchise an impulse and made it enjoyable again. Kiryu was a great character, but I think it overstayed his welcome and kept the Yakuza game more of the same.

I hope CDPR with Witcher 4 finds an existing or a new character to move the franchise forward. A good MC can make or brake a game...
So, what other games/franchise benefited from changing the MC?

LectureMaster

Gold Member
mTpNbps8yBZsb9g3knvPPc.jpg

Last edited:
I think Ethan from Resident Evil would fit here.

I don't like him, mind you.
And I think Resident Evil 7 is half great, and half painfully mediocre (After the Margaret boss fight, the game falls off, in my opinion).

But RE 7 and Ethan did bring a much needed breath of fresh air to Resident Evil, and saved the series, to the point where they haven't missed since (Arguably did with RE 3 Remake, but it wasn't a bad game by any reasonable means).

I lile Resident Evil 6 WAY more then 7, but it's not a good game. It's very rough, and derivative. And it stained the series reputation.

And again, Ethan and RE 7 helped changed that.

Mr Hyde

I thought Rivet was a really good addition to the Ratchet and Clank-series. She was funny and sweet and her voice acting was great.

Ratchet And Clank Handshake GIF by PlayStation

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Abbey from TLOU2.

Haters gonna hate and story put aside, but her levels and gameplay were better than Ellie/Joel and to have the balls to force you to play as someone who just killed your favorite character was fucking nuts.

intbal

Halo took a two game break from Master Chief in ODST and Reach. Both games have a different feel to the gameplay and story (and ODST is my favorite halo game). I think the break probably helped Halo 4 as most people were eager to get back to playing as Master Chief, so they were willing to overlook the lousy story direction of 4.

Top Bottom