• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newly Elected Governor Strips 140,000 Of Voting Rights, Lowers The Minimum Wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

Like Kansas, I'm finding it really difficult feeling sorry for Kentuckians. They either voted for this or did not vote and so allowed this to happen. I'm convinced people are going to have to start feeling the burden of their bad choices (or their lack of exercising their choices) before anything can happen.

This means innocent people will have to suffer unnecessarily, but it seems people are hell bent on learning the hard way.

teiresias

I loved the post election interviews with voters that said they new Bevins would negatively impact them, but they basically just had to vote Republican because they always have. I hope we get followup interviews with these people once they lose their health insurance.

These are the kinds of people voting in this society, so I'm not sure all of it can be blamed on "fuck you, got mine" mindsets when many of these people are basically "got nothing, will still vote the same way".

appaws

Banned
Who are the morons that voted this guy into office then? I mean if his predecessor enhanced voting rights, increased the minimum wage, why would you bring in a Republican then, one who went straight to work reversing it?

They voted him in, they get what they deserve.
Although it's funny because if he said his intentions about revoking voters rights during the campaign he knew that he might set off a match to have them vote against him. Fucking liar.

We had a very popular, centrist Democrat. He would have been re-elected easily, but he was term-limited out. The Democrats were stupid and nominated a known terrible campaigner who is also way too liberal for the state.

States like this will give Dems a problem going forward because the national party has moved too far to the left. A coalition of young secularists, single women, academics, minorities, and organized state workers will not lead to victory here.

The coal miners and associated workers in the eastern part of the state used to be solid Democratic voters. The Obama EPA going after coal has really hurt them, they will now be Republicans for at least a generation.

We did elect Jeanne Hampton as Lieutenant Governor, the first African American woman elected statewide in Kentucky.

FStubbs

Like Kansas, I'm finding it really difficult feeling sorry for Kentuckians. They either voted for this or did not vote and so allowed this to happen. I'm convinced people are going to have to start feeling the burden of their bad choices (or their lack of exercising their choices) before anything can happen.

This means innocent people will have to suffer unnecessarily, but it seems people are hell bent on learning the hard way.

People love the GOP. And people keep thinking Trump has no chance. LOL.

Link

The Autumn Wind
States like this will give Dems a problem going forward because the national party has moved too far to the left.
No it hasn't. It only seems that way because the GOP has gone so far batshit insane to the right.

FStubbs

Why do people vote against themselves?

quote-i-ll-tell-you-what-s-at-the-bottom-of-it-if-you-can-convince-the-lowest-white-man-he-lyndon-b-johnson-107-70-60.jpg

People love the GOP. And people keep thinking Trump has no chance. LOL.

Kentucky is a conservative state that voted this guy in an off year where democrats don't vote. This has nothing to do with a presidential election with a candidate half the GOP hates

XenodudeX

We had a very popular, centrist Democrat. He would have been re-elected easily, but he was term-limited out. The Democrats were stupid and nominated a known terrible campaigner who is also way too liberal for the state.

States like this will give Dems a problem going forward because the national party has moved too far to the left. A coalition of young secularists, single women, academics, minorities, and organized state workers will not lead to victory here.

The coal miners and associated workers in the eastern part of the state used to be solid Democratic voters. The Obama EPA going after coal has really hurt them, they will now be Republicans for at least a generation.

We did elect Jeanne Hampton as Lieutenant Governor, the first African American woman elected statewide in Kentucky.

If voters there sees this as a bad thing, then maybe the Democrats should let the Republicans have them.

Machina

Banned
“Wage rates ideally would be established by the demands of the labor market instead of being set by the government,”

This can't go wrong at fucking all, can it? Because the labor market is a platform of reason, sincerity, and fairness? Right?

That's the argument, no? Just so I know what level of batshit we're dealing with.

Classic ideological class warfare. People like this guy are pretty much acknowledging their actions as such and are giving a big middle finger to anyone who doesn't like it. George Carlin would be laughing in his grave.

appaws

Banned
No it hasn't. It only seems that way because the GOP has gone so far batshit insane to the right.

Yes, I know that would be the Gaf CW....but this was a Democratic state for generations.

Both parties have moved more towards the margins and American politics has become polarized. Bernie would have been laughed out of a Democratic primary in the past. The Atlantic just ran a good piece on America moving left...why do you think that would exclude the Democratic Party?

The voters here are natural social conservatives and in favor or a somewhat activist government. I think on bread and butter issues my neighbors would still vote Democratic...but they are not going to vote for a party that supports things they see as antithetical to their social order. Like gun control, abortion on demand, (what they feel is) extremism on environmental issues.

appaws

Banned
If voters there sees this as a bad thing, then maybe the Democrats should let the Republicans have them.

There just aren't enough of those groups here. Louisville is not a big enough city to outvite the rest of this very rural state. The coalition needed for a Democrat to win in Kentucky has to include more white men to get to 50.1%. Many of those people would still be Democrats on a lot of issues....

...but nominating a liberal lawyer with a record of losing state elections is not the way to do it.

SolKane

I thought felons could not vote, period. I imagine this only pertaining to KY offices only.

Only a handful of states permanently disenfranchise felons from voting, and it looks KY is now one of them (again). Most states "reenfranchise" felons after the term of the sentence and any parole period. At least two states allow felons to vote via absentee ballot from prison (Vermont and Maine).

Machina

Banned
Trash like this is infuriating.

So many fucking idiots in this country. Especially in a certain region and of a certain demographic.

Call it for what it is dude, the white wing south.

That's what I'm calling it now, the white wing, because no smart colored person would ever vote Republican again after what has happened the last few years.

dabig2

If voters there sees this as a bad thing, then maybe the Democrats should let them Republicans have them.

Yep. Kentucky isn't worth the trouble. If the people want to vote for the right wing extremist who would have been laughed out of his own party a mere decade ago, then fine. Have at it and go wild. Once the temper tantrum against progress and change subsides, then the Democrats can go back and see if they can convince the people that they can put the pieces back together.

Yes, I know that would be the Gaf CW....but this was a Democratic state for generations.

Both parties have moved more towards the margins and American politics has become polarized. Bernie would have been laughed out of a Democratic primary in the past. The Atlantic just ran a good piece on American moving left...why do you think that would exclude the Democratic Party?

The voters here are natural social conservatives and in favor or a somewhat activist government. I think on bread and butter issues my neighbors would still vote Democratic...but they are not going to vote for a party that supports things they see as antithetical to their social order. Like gun control, abortion on demand, (what they feel is) extremism on environmental issues.

Absolutely disagree on both parties moving leftwards. As a whole, conservatives have dragged the conversation considerably to the right compared to 10 years ago. Yeah, social equality and awareness of class warfare against the poor are on the rise, but that still doesn't mean much when the policy debates still seem to be between far right and center to center right. Imo, Bernies the kinda guy we need on the national stage to start dragging the conversation back to reality. I haven't read that Atlantic piece btw, so I'll have to give that a read.

numble

Both parties have moved more towards the margins and American politics has become polarized. Bernie would have been laughed out of a Democratic primary in the past. The Atlantic just ran a good piece on America moving left...why do you think that would exclude the Democratic Party?

If you posit that America is moving towards the left, but Kentucky is moving backwards, that supports the stereotype that Kentucky is a backwards place.

appaws

Banned
Absolutely disagree on both parties moving leftwards. As a whole, conservatives have dragged the conversation considerably to the right compared to 10 years ago. Yeah, social equality and awareness of class warfare against the poor are on the rise, but that still doesn't mean much when the policy debates still seem to be between far right and center to center right. Imo, Bernies the kinda guy we need on the national stage to start dragging the conversation back to reality. I haven't read that Atlantic piece btw, so I'll have to give that a read.

I don't think both parties are moving leftwards. I think they are both moving toward the margins. Republicans are moving to the right, obviously. A guy like Kasich who is actually pretty conservative is getting no traction because he is seen as a RINO.

But the Dems in Kentucky were always socially conservative compared to the coastal elites. To they extent that they abandon that and move into line with the national party, the can't win a state this rural.

If you posit that America is moving towards the left, but Kentucky is moving backwards, that supports the stereotype that Kentucky is a backwards place.

If you define it that way, sure. I guess my neighbors would be more than happy to have such enlightened gaffers see them as "backwards."

Not even mad. Lot of folks didn't vote, or voted against their interest. Especially in regard to all the republicans in that state who use Obamacare.

Voting matters, especially on the state and local level. Maybe they'll learn their lesson but history says they won't.

Why all of the focus on presidential stuff can be dangerous sometimes. People feel like that's the only time their vote matters, and it leads to shit like this.

A ton of younger people I know didn't go vote, and here we are.

adj_noun

Bevin, who has previously said he believes legalizing same-sex marriage could lead to parents marrying their children, was swept into office in November in an election marked by dismally low voter turnout.

Less than a third of the state’s eligible voters cast a ballot.

Welp.

Sianos

Sorry, sometimes I forget this isn't poligaf.which rhymes with polygraph for a reason.

you know its the holiday season out in the meatsphere

and that means family dinners

which means

i got to hear that line genuinely from multiple people
aaaah.gif

I dont understand why we take away voting rights of people who commit crimes anyway.

You have to remember we're not even a century removed from lynchings being a family event. I'd be interested in seeing the statistics for people who support a life sentence for any and all felonies. I think it would be surprisingly high.

Damaniel

Banned
Republicans gonna Republican.

To those who insist that both parties are the same - read this story and shut up already.

(Also, doesn't Kentucky have a pretty successful state Obamacare insurance exchange program? I'd imagine something like that would also be on the chopping block under a Republican governor.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom