• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true, but SONY was in a far more financially precarious position leading up to the PS4 reveal and release. They didn't have the money to build the most powerful console, higher management thought the PlayStation division would fail soon, and the morale in the playstation department was at an all-time low. Funding was also cut, which was why they couldn't take a loss on the unit.

I don't think so. SONY is in a far more financially advantageous position now than in 2012-2013 primarily from high PS4 sales and huge PS+ fees. There is also a lot more confidence in the playstation department, so they're receiving essentially a blank check from SONY. SONY confirmed at a recent investor's meeting that they're going to take a large loss on the PS5, something they refused to do with the PS4.

The circumstances today are different than they were 6-7 years ago. We're back to PS2 and PS3-era SONY sans their fetish for exotic architecture.

I agree that Sony of today is in a much better position than 2012-2013 Sony, and they're also much more confident in the PS division considering how, in terms of consumer electronics, it's by far their biggest cash cow, without question. But we're not back to those PS2-PS3 days of Sony fetishizing exotic architecture and hardware; that was all Ken Kutaragi and he left Sony a long time ago.

Cerny's approach to console tech has been remarkably conservative by comparison to Kutaragi and there's zero chance of him suddenly changing that. He prefers working with mature and semi-mature technologies that already have a lot of R&D investment from other tech companies.

Which is why while some think GDDR5 was a bit of a risk for PS4 (and 8GB was definitely a game, because production just prior to the announcement hadn't ramped up enough to guarantee 8GB, partly due because only 2 of the 3 big memory manufacturers were actually involved in GDDR5 production), if you look at it in relation to some of the truly exotic offerings in the tech market at that time and against the PS3, it wasn't really that risky at all.

They also foresaw a gradual push for GDDR5 in GPU memory cards going forward, since there was a worry that consoles would "bleed" more users to PC which had been happening a bit during the very late end of PS3 and 360's lifespans, so the assumption was that prolific GDDR5 manufacturing with other companies on-board would bring economies of scale even faster to lower prices (it did).

So that's basically the kind of guy Cerny is, and he's very good at it. It's also why I'm not entertaining things like HBM2/3, even if patents are out there. Sony patents a lot of things, a LOT of companies do. But they're ultimately just patents. If Kutaragi were still at Sony's PS division PS5 would probably be pushing a semi-quantum processor (quantum/classical CPU hybrid) and cloud memory or something like that xD

Are you for real? People can't accept 12 and you're going for 14?

Not hating, just things are getting out of hand with these numbers and we never get any concrete info. Its so wishy washy.

It's starting to reek of playground console warrior fanboyism; staunch fanatics on both sides so eager to make their system have the bigger e-dick they're throwing rational reality and estimates from relatively more trustworthy leakers out of the window and flying full-speed into fantasy zone. Happens all the time; humorous and annoying each time it happens though.

Neither of these systems are going to push over 13TF; I don't think either is even going to reach 13TF realistically (though from the better leaks it seems PS5 is in more favorable position to do that, ATM). PS5 will most likely have the lead in pure TFLOPs, SSD speed and memory bandwidth speed. XSEX will likely have the lead in CPU clockspeed, total overall memory, and memory bandwidth size. The differences will be noticeable enough on paper but only respective 1st-party games will likely truly exploit them in practice. And (personal opinion) both systems will likely feature some implementation of PCM persistent memory cache (3D Xpoint, not ReRAM) ranging from 64GB-128GB (more likely 64GB-96GB).

We aren't going to see a PS4/XBO type of gulf between the two systems this time around, fanboy fantasies be damned. It'll most probably be closer to between 360/PS3; arguably not even that considering PS5 and XSEX are using virtually the same architecture and technology, just in slightly differing amounts for each. So it'd be neat if people could have more realistic expectations with these system that balance things out just a tad more, right? ;)

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
With a 399$ there would be sacrifices, like 8TF and such...or they would have to take a larger hit....or as you say the BOM is an exaggeriation.

I am one of the few that thinks that even 599$ is not too high. This has been taken as gospel, but its just really a wrong extrapolation of what happened with PS3. PS3 was more expensive with less performance than the competition, thats not going to fly in any situation or at any price point.

With the right performance, it would sell like hotcakes even @599$. Granted, that price would have to be lowered in about a year or two, but thats totally doable with 5nm/3nm coming up.
Xbox 360 launched one year earlier, it was cheaper, it had more games, and not to mention multiplatform games run and looked better on xbox 360. People can afford 599$ console if they see money is well spend, but PS3 was worse than cheaper xbox. That was a real problem for gamers, and not to mention sony sold each console at 200$ loss. If people would see much better looking games on PS3 compared to xbox360, then even at 599$ PS3 would be much more successful than it was. I have spend 599 euro for my 60GB PS3 back then and you know what? I wasnt even using it that much for the first 2 years😂. No wonder Sony had to rebuild PS3 (sony has removed PS2 parts from it to make it cheaper) and cut the price, because it was inferior product compared to xbox 360.

Last edited:

Racer!

Xbox 360 launched one year earlier, it was cheaper, it had more games, and not to mention multiplatform games run and looked better on xbox 360. People can spend 599 euro if they see money is well spend, but PS3 was worse than cheaper xbox. That was a real problem (not to mention sony sold each console at 200$ loss), but if people would see many much better looking games on PS3 compared to xbox360, then even at 599$ PS3 would be much more successful than it was. I have spend 599 euro for my 60GB PS3 back then and you know what? My PS3 get dusty, because I wasnt even using it that much for the first 2 years😂. No wonder Sony had to rebuild PS3 (sony has removed PS2 parts from it to make it cheaper) and cut the price, because it was inferior product compared to xbox 360.

Totally agree.

Bought PS3 60Gb fat at launch, but didnt use it much first year either. Until Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet basically.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Xbox 360 launched one year earlier, it was cheaper, it had more games, and not to mention multiplatform games run and looked better on xbox 360. People can spend 599 euro if they see money is well spend, but PS3 was worse than cheaper xbox. That was a real problem (not to mention sony sold each console at 200$ loss), but if people would see many much better looking games on PS3 compared to xbox360, then even at 599$ PS3 would be much more successful than it was. I have spend 599 euro for my 60GB PS3 back then and you know what? My PS3 get dusty, because I wasnt even using it that much for the first 2 years😂. No wonder Sony had to rebuild PS3 (sony has removed PS2 parts from it to make it cheaper) and cut the price, because it was inferior product compared to xbox 360.

And the PS3 which was Sonys lowest selling console still outsold the 360 which was MS biggest hit over its lifetime.

SmokSmog

Radeon HD7770 10cus 1Ghz 1.28 TF die size 123 mm²
Xbox one 12cus 853Mhz 1.31 TF die size 363mm2
Radeon HD7790 14cus 1Ghz 1.79 TF die size 160 mm2
Radeon HD7850 16cus 860Mhz 1.76 TF die size 212mm2
Playstation 4 18cus 800Mhz 1.84 TF die size 348 mm2
Radeon HD7870 20cus 1Ghz 2.56 TF die size 212mm2
Radeon HD7970 32cus 925Mhz 3.79 TF die size 352mm2

RX 5700xt 40cus 1905 Mhz 9.75TF die size 251mm2
XboxSX 60 cus 1575Mhz 12TF APU size 400mm2 7nm EUV

ANIMAL1975

220px-Pringles_chips.JPG

Thanks for making me hungry at 12am :messenger_unamused:
It's now 14h 2m where i live, im starving...

Max 1800MHZ for both consoles. Realistic 1600MHZ
powerscaling5xjiu.png

powerscalingfactorp5j2k.png

XBOX Series X 1575mhz 60CUs 12TF with optional 1750MHz 13.4TF last minute upclock.

Playstation 5 unknown number of CUs 1500-1800mhz range.
Those are the optimal clocks for a current Navi card with 1st gen RDNA, correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't RDNA2 going to be more power efficient and those clocks higher? I even remember some people saying RT works better with higher clocks?
About the CU count CameFromNearFuture CameFromNearFuture was preaching 52 (don't know if already with 4 disabled) for both, to bad he didn't went with the vetting, it would have been nice to have confirmed numbers to work with.

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

SmokSmog

Those are the optimal clocks for a current Navi card with 1st gen RDNA, correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't RDNA2 going to be more power efficient and those clocks higher? I even remember some people saying RT works better with higher clocks?
About the CU count CameFromNearFuture CameFromNearFuture was preaching 52 (don't know if already with 4 disabled) for both, to bad he didn't went with the vetting, it would have been nice to have confirmed numbers to work with.
No one knows, if RDNA2 will be on 7nm EUV that yes + new architecture.

quest

Not Banned from OT

The 2.0 cards if I remember right are going to be on a different process than the 1.0 cards I think 7nm ultra violent so not apples to apples. I hope both consoles make ultraviolet process.

Mass Shift

i dont want to sound like bill gates but 600dollars for a console you will use for 7-8years is not much. IF there are enough goodies in there to justify the price. gamers are not little kids saving thei xmas money for a new console. 600 dollars is peanuts for anyone with a low income job,

Except gamers are the cheapest, whiniest demographic of consumer electronics. $600 would be met protests and fierce attacks on the console maker.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Except gamers are the cheapest, whiniest demographic of consumer electronics. $600 would be met protests and fierce attacks on the console maker.

Nah, with the specs and power everyone keeps talking about I'll feel lucky if I can get an XsX for $600 and most people here expect the PS5 to be even more powerful so I think $600 is reasonable. Give me the power, I'll pay for it.

ANIMAL1975

No one knows, if RDNA2 will be on 7nm EUV that yes + new architecture.
The 2.0 cards if I remember right are going to be on a different process than the 1.0 cards I think 7nm ultra violent so not apples to apples. I hope both consoles make ultraviolet process.
That's what I'm hoping for too, full RDNA2 7nm+ chips with the custom sauces that always enhances the flavor and allows to cut on the salt 😂 no salt please Sony and Ms... and no crows on the menu 🤮

xPikYx

I still believe companies will do the right choice to give us 800$ hardware at least, that's guarantee of top hardware

Ar¢tos

I voted 8tf, anything more than that (for either console) will be already more than what I expect. (i prefer betting very safe and by surprised than betting high and get disappointed)

See, here's the problem with that. If Series X really is just a two times Xbox One X GCN equivalent and PS5 is a less than 10% slither over the Series X, then the PS5 also falls below 12TFs.
This is wrong TF is TF just because it’s 2x the TF does not mean it’s not 1.5x the performance. The new RDNA cores are more efficient with less power. People that keep making the assumption that Phil means it’s 2xGCN are morons.

Mass Shift

Nah, with the specs and power everyone keeps talking about I'll feel lucky if I can get an XsX for $600 and most people here expect the PS5 to be even more powerful so I think $600 is reasonable. Give me the power, I'll pay for it.

disagree with you..........strongly.

They won't pay, they'll whine. Some of the same people claiming the CELL was ahead of its time were the most vocal against the $600 PS3.

Mass Shift

This is wrong TF is TF just because it’s 2x the TF does not mean it’s not 1.5x the performance. The new RDNA cores are more efficient with less power. People that keep making the assumption that Phil means it’s 2xGCN are morons.

I understood that. But as you say people have convinced themselves that MS can't do math.

onQ123

Lets say that PS5 does have 24 - 32GB of RAM vs Xbox SX 16GB would it even show much of a noticeable difference ?

Would devs even push the limits of 24GB - 32GB when they know the game needs to be playable on other devices?

But then again once we break away from the limits of this generation they will find ways to burn through them GBs of RAM.

PS4 launched in the UK at £325, which was a very good price for the machine.

For PS5, I'm seeing Sony going somewhere between £399 and £499. Perhaps they'll settle on £425.

Xbox? Hmm, north of £449, for sure.

vpance

Lets say that PS5 does have 24 - 32GB of RAM vs Xbox SX 16GB would it even show much of a noticeable difference ?

Would devs even push the limits of 24GB - 32GB when they know the game needs to be playable on other devices?

But then again once we break away from the limits of this generation they will find ways to burn through them GBs of RAM.

The memory setups in both could potentially be wildly different, but the main factor will still be streaming speed over total capacity or even bandwidth.

I think multi plat games will just take the lowest streaming per sec speed and work from there. Tailor making games to max out each systems memory setup must be a development headache. I could see the main difference being slightly better textures or load times.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member

Is 4k texture limited by RAM?

vpance

Not really, because of the high streaming speed of SSD and virtual texturing. But it's impossible to say that's the case for games later on in the gen that which might be trying to do some crazy shit we've never seen.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

4096x4096 textures are very heavy on memory consumption. So yes, a 4K texture simply has more pixels to sample from. Even things like 4K fetches from off-screen rendering targets can tax your memory.

That being said, it's not as extreme as you might think. 16GBs to 20GBs should really do it for the consoles.

i think Microsoft has lost the next gen when it comes to trying to be on the number 1 spot, but it will NOT be a distant second like this generation. In the end Microsoft will win in the long run 10-20 years down the road due to the cloud and streaming in someway shape or form. Kind of like the tortoise vs the hare bugs bunny cartoon lol.

bitbydeath

In total sure, but I should have been more clear. The 2-3 million is just for PS5 in the first 3-6 months. If this gen is anything to go by then price cuts and console revisions will be at a minimum.

I've said before that pricing the console lower or lower than expected but then keeping it at that price for years instead of coming in higher and then doing regular price cuts is the better way of doing it.

Sony are clearly going to do the above model again going by their globalisation and streamlining changes Jim Ryan talked about in his Gamesindustry interview.

All IMO of course.

PS4 passed 5 million in the first 3 months and was around 20 million in the first 12 months.

THE:MILKMAN

PS4 passed 5 million in the first 3 months and was around 20 million in the first 12 months.

Yeah I had read 18 million year one and Jim talks about moving the PS+ subscribers, many of which are casual, over to PS5 at a 'faster pace'. Can't do that without convincing them to buy a PS5, right? Therefore a £350 PS5 would convince more people, quicker than a £500 one would. Even if there are lots of amazing games at/around launch.

I hope that also means they are planning on ending that stupid country lock on digital content.

That would be nice too.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Yeah I had read 18 million year one and Jim talks about moving the PS+ subscribers, many of which are casual, over to PS5 at a 'faster pace'. Can't do that without convincing them to buy a PS5, right? Therefore a £350 PS5 would convince more people, quicker than a £500 one would. Even if there are lots of amazing games at/around launch.

That would be nice too.

I’m thinking $450 with a $150 loss and some really good exclusives will be enough to surpass PS4’s initial sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom