• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Zenimax can only reach billions with Elder Scrolls, Fallout and the Starfield IP. They've only survived thanks to them.

You're going to see Embracer fly past Bethesda in the coming years in terms of revenue

As an organisation they're already much bigger than Zenimax.

I very much doubt that.
4 IP that could like pull 600 million each vs a company that "only" does 600 million from its full portfolio?
Gearbox likely isnt doing anything till after 2022 unless Zeni suddenly stop working how exactly are embracer gonna make up the deficit before the generation ends

I very much doubt that.
4 IP that could like pull 600 million each vs a company that "only" does 600 million from its full portfolio?
Gearbox likely isnt doing anything till after 2022 unless Zeni suddenly stop working how exactly are embracer gonna make up the deficit before the generation ends

You're forgetting the fact that they only release those games once every 4 to 5 years

Embracer hasn't actually released any proper games yet, besides the small time games I mean

Last edited:

Black_Stride

You're forgetting the fact that they only release those games once every 4 to 5 years

Embracer hasn't actually released any proper games yet, besides the small time games I mean

Yeah they embracer are planning a single AAA game per year 2022 onwards......unless you think they have an IP rather IPs that will match ZeniMax where exactly is revenue supposed to come from?
Gearbox looks to be their publishing and they arent setting the world fire......as for in house devs i still dont see a billion dollar IP.
Maybe they got something cooking.

Or i forgot one of their acqusitions.....jog my memory.

Sony buys Bethesda and only release on PS = games are taken away

Microsoft buys Bethesda and only release on Xbox + PC = games are taken away

Periodt A House Divided GIF by UMC - Stream Black Better

On a side note MLB The Show would be an example of making games available to more consumers.

Microsoft owns the publisher so ultimately they can decide what happens with the games. However there's a downside to stop releasing them on one platform but there's also a positive to them doing that.

Last edited:
Well actually I am a shareholder but that isn't the point. The was a rumor that Bethesda was losing money and now they are part of a company that has plenty of resources to support the hobby I love. Again if any other company like Sony or Nintendo had bought them you can count on gamers having games taken away.

Since MS does not require anyone to buy their box they aren't taking anything from anyone. They will still honor current contracts. Only people who refuse to own a pc or Xbox or use cloud gaming are 'losing' anything and people that closed minded are less gamers but platform fanatics.

I totally think this was a good thing and I'm looking forward to seeing what the joint venture will create. Better this than paying companies to specifically deny content to other platforms for IP they don't own. Plus now maybe Xbox will have games since people think they don't have any.
Well if you are shareholder I understand you are happy and regarding the other point what are you talking about is sure one o more titles will be exclusive for them.

"Honor the contract" oh you want to say, not pay to Sony for break the contract, that show how good is a company, really we are discussing a morality of a company
based in save money.

Platform fanatic... man read you last paragraph and tell me you doesn't looks as one.

Exists basically two types of people between the gamer comunity who happy for this:

-Xbox fanatics
-Haters of Sony and even Nintendo

Any of the 3 console makers is good enough manage so many studios and not scrub it in some moment and sorry neither is like Xbox prove with a billionaire
daddy they can do better games. Told me the last game from a first party of Xbox done before was adquire for them (yeah Playground doesn't count) which
you can say is a good enough as Doom Eternal, Breath of Wild or God of War.

Yeah they embracer are planning a single AAA game per year 2022 onwards......unless you think they have an IP rather IPs that will match ZeniMax where exactly is revenue supposed to come from?
Gearbox looks to be their publishing and they arent setting the world fire......as for in house devs i still dont see a billion dollar IP.
Maybe they got something cooking.

Or i forgot one of their acqusitions.....jog my memory.

Have you even bothered to look at just how big they are? These past few years they've been in a growth and aquisittion phase. We haven't even seen their real output yet

They own

THQ Nordic
Koch Media
Saber Interactive

Each subsidary houses 5+ studios each and they have tens of dozens of other studios on top of that

Then they have Gearbox

Their libray of IPs include Borderlands, Saints Row, Dead Island, Homefront, Shadow Warrior, Red Faction, Duke Nukem, Metro, Darksiders

How can you even say this with a straight face lol?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Have you even bothered to look at just how big they are? These past few years they've been in a growth and aquisittion phase. We haven't even seen their real output yet

They own

THQ Nordic
Koch Media
Saber Interactive

Each subsidary houses 5+ studios each and tens of dozens of other studios on top of that

Then they have Gearbox

Their libray of IPs include Borderlands, Saints Row, Dead Island, Homefront, Shadow Warrior, Red Faction, Duke Nukem, Metro, Darksiders

How can you even say this with a straight face lol?

And which of those ip can do a billion?

They don't need to make a single game every 5 years that generates $1 billion.

What part of that do you not get?

Borderlands is a 1$ billion IP, since you keep asking for it, and all the others can generate hundreds of millions on top of that, each

Do you think AAA games are the only multi million sellers or something?

Last edited:
Today is the day were I discuss when somebody who believes Microsoft is the Robin Hood of the videogames
buying Bethesda.

Probably tomorrow I will do the same with some Apple fanboy who thinks its favorite company is going to bring
ARM to the normal people acquiring ARM well at least Apple know how to made chips.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Are you talking about Skyrim here?

Honestly curious why you keep claiming this.. when we are talking about yearly revenue.. not what 1 Bethesda game maybe generated sales wise (not revenue) over the course of 8 years.

None of this is a bash on Bethesda; they've lost their shine though as a sales powerhouse. I love Bethesda RPGs, my favorite games.. I even love Fallout 76.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
How are they going to do that? Are they going to gimp the PS5 version like make it run at 720p or at half the framerate? That's not likely. Like you wrote I think the only thing they can do is interesting price (gamepass) and time exclusivity.
More time.

How MLB 2021 is running btw, I would not be surprised if it would be X-gimped.

Are you talking about Skyrim here?

Honestly curious why you keep claiming this.. when we are talking about yearly revenue.. not what 1 Bethesda game maybe generated sales wise (not revenue) over the course of 8 years.

None of this is a bash on Bethesda; they've lost their shine though as a sales powerhouse. I love Bethesda RPGs, my favorite games.. I even love Fallout 76.

He seems to think they're generating billions every year or something?

I'd love to see how much they actually made in 2019 with commerical bangers like Rage 2 or Wolfenstien Young Blood

DJ12

They don't need to make a single game every 5 years that generates $1 billion.

What part of that do you not get?

Do you think AAA games are the only multi million sellers or something?
Bethesda's biggest ever game didn't make a billion despite being released on every platform going, unless of course we assume every game was brought at full retail.

30,000,000 is their biggest selling game, Skyrim.

So where is Bethesda's billion dollar game or have I missed something, I know $490,000,000 was quoted, but that's not a billion, and it's probably some fake bragging from someone's linkedin page that was almost instantly pulled.

Doom eternal doesn't feature in any top selling game list I've looked at, Doom doesn't even feature in a list of best selling franchises.

Last edited:
Dude come on drop this stupid argument already lol

Sony buys Bethesda and only release on PS = games are taken away

Microsoft buys Bethesda and only release on Xbox + PC = games are taken away
Nope. What game was taken from Sony? The games Sony gamers are entitled to will be delivered. Not one announced PlayStation title was canceled. Not one. The only way something is taken away is if you already had it. ESO, Fallout 76, Doom 2016, Eternal, etc are all still on PlayStation and will continue to be supported. I don't see the problem. Paying companies to block content on other platforms is a much bigger problem.

Well if you are shareholder I understand you are happy and regarding the other point what are you talking about is sure one o more titles will be exclusive for them.

"Honor the contract" oh you want to say, not pay to Sony for break the contract, that show how good is a company, really we are discussing a morality of a company
based in save money.

Platform fanatic... man read you last paragraph and tell me you doesn't looks as one.

Exists basically two types of people between the gamer comunity who happy for this:

-Xbox fanatics

Any of the 3 console makers is good enough manage so many studios and not scrub it in some moment and sorry neither is like Xbox prove with a billionaire
daddy they can do better games. Told me the last game from a first party of Xbox done before was adquire for them (yeah Playground doesn't count) which
Wow man what a closed minded viewpoint. You can like Xbox and not hate Sony. Only the fanatics I mentioned earlier have this all or nothing mentality. I like them both and support both. I'm happy to see a console I own secure content for the foreseeable future. Xbox will not be another Dreamcast and I like that.

Last edited:
Nope. What game was taken from Sony? The games Sony gamers are entitled to will be delivered. Not one announced PlayStation title was canceled. Not one. The only way something is taken away is if you already had it. ESO, Fallout 76, Doom 2016, Eternal, etc are all still on PlayStation and will continue to be supported. I don't see the problem. Paying companies to block content on other platforms is a much bigger problem.

You're slipping mage

Your argument was because you don't need to buy an Xbox console to play the games, they weren't taken away

So by your own logic, if Sony were the ones to buy Bethesda, and made their games exclusive to PS, that would be taking games away from Microsoft, correct?

Last edited:
Wow man what a closed minded viewpoint. You can like Xbox and not hate Sony. Only the fanatics I mentioned earlier have this all or nothing mentality. I like them both and support both. I'm happy to see a console I own secure content for the foreseeable future. Xbox will not be another Dreamcast and I like that.
I just read your comments you don't like videogames in general, just the brand of Xbox.

Also you mention dreamcast for you age I almost sure you were/are a fan of the Segas consoles and
think Xbox as is spiritual successor, is not the first time I have seen this before.

Last edited:
People could laugh about it but I have Skyrim on Pro and that's an embarrassing show. Can only imagine what could happen if Bethesda intentionally should offer a subpar port on ps5.

I remember what happens when you entered water in Skyrim on the PS3. The game was practically broken on that platform.

Loope

based in save money.

-Xbox fanatics

There are people that indifferent to it, like pc gamers that get to play the game all the same.

You're slipping mage

Your argument was because you don't need to buy an Xbox console to play the games, they weren't taken away

So by your own logic, if Sony were the ones to buy Bethesda, and made their games exclusive to PS, that would be taking games away from Microsoft, correct?
It is possible to have multiple things be true. If you can list the games MS took away from PlayStation I'd be happy to read them. Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop will still hit PS5 if you didn't know. So can't put those titles on the list. With regards to Sony if they bought Bethesda you'd have to buy a PlayStation and you would no longer have any alternatives. I don't like that. What would be taken is away is the freedom to have choice in the platform you'd like to play on.

I just read your comments you don't like videogames in general, just the brand of Xbox.

Also you mention dreamcast for you age I almost sure you were/are a fan of the Segas consoles and
think Xbox as is spiritual successor is not the first time I have seen this before.
Perhaps you are just an Xbox hater. You have no idea what my game collection looks like. I'm glad I don't have this bunker mentality to be against companies for silly reasons. Of course I was a Sega fan I told YOU that.

There are people that indifferent to it, like pc gamers that get to play the game all the same.
Ok but your point is ? this people who only play in PC they will have same quantity of games from Bethesda doesn't matter what.

For the PC fanatic master race I will not take in account because is probably of worst kind of fanboys.

I was talking about, in the end this purchase ends will result less title in another platforms.

Last edited:
So the same way Microsoft has reduced freedom of choice if they make Starfield exclusive to PC and Xbox?
Do you know the planned platforms that game was going to be released on? Was it planned for PS5 like Ghostwire Tokyo or Deathloop? If those games were official and then canceled MS took it away from Sony. Any game that was canceled can be claimed as taken away. The announced PS5 games are STILL COMING!!

Do you know the planned platforms that game was going to be released on? Was it planned for PS5 like Ghostwire Tokyo or Deathloop? If those games were official and then canceled MS took it away from Sony. Any game that was canceled can be claimed as taken away. The announced PS5 games are STILL COMING!!

So that's a no then? MS isn't reducing freedom of choice because we don't know the planned platforms? That's your argument?

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Watching the flip flopping is fun though lol
He does contradict himself all the time.

Microsoft don't do him any favours though, they can do one thing like hike up the price of Xbox Gold, he will then proclaim they have done it for the good of the industry. Well, we all know what happens, eventually MS buckle to fan pressure, they revert the policy and his thoughts on the matter suddenly change and he's applauding the reversal.

It's a hard life being a sheep.

Well, if MS is not reducing my freedom of choice where to play the upcoming Bethesda games, I would like to play Elder Scrolls VI on a PS5 then.

I agree with you there. I can play Skyrim on my PS5. I would like to play the next Elder Scrolls on the same platform. Hopefully Microsoft allows me to do that.

P.S I don't own a PS5 yet but you know what I mean.

MistBreeze

xbox bethesda deal is big no doubt but Sony will be fine even if all games end up xbox exclusive

it is the nature of the market nothing is guaranteed forever

companies bought or closes but the medium will react accordingly someone will fill any void in a successful console

a successful top selling console will attract companies new and old ... new studios will be born some will meet its death

microsoft and bethesda had long relationship and most of their games were xbox only or better for most part on xbox before this acquisition so it is not strange realy

hope this competition push sony harder to do better

a healthy microsoft is good for the industry and good for consumers even nintindo needs someone to shake them up as they content on reselling ports with minimal exiting new games

we need competition to get better games and hardware

Last edited:
Anyone else feel bored with their ps5
I don't own one at the moment.

When people ask me wether they should buy one I ask them if there is a game they really want which is only available on the PS5, if they yes then I tell them to buy it, and if no I tell them to wait for a game they like and then buy the console.

Personally I'm waiting for the next-gen Witcher 3 remaster, or Horizon Forbidden West or the God of War sequel.

This gen has honestly started off a little slow, at least for Playstation the launch line up within the first year or year and a half is excellent.

We haven't even seen the best this gen has to offer because we're still in very early stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom