• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

c0de

I think that DC @60fps would look noticeably better than F6.

Sure. What they have in common is that they are categorized in the same genre. But they are clearly different to each other, with different intentions when it comes to colors and lighting.
But also sure, better hardware can render better graphics.

The hell, even GT6 is just superb in some graphical elements compared to racers on current-gen, and that game is on last-gen conslole.

It looks very good for a last gen game, definitely. But seriously, this also is because of lighting. The IQ in GT6 is obviously worse than "racers on current-gen" which is totally ok.

I really can't imagine what PD will do with GT7 on PS4.

Why not? Look at how races look in TV and you see what is the optimum. The only question left is how close devs get to it.

KORNdoggy

Ok, I get it. This thread is basically a nice little place you can get together to gush over how much better DC looks than other racing games out at the moment

finally you get it, can the broken record responses end now?

and until it's bettered, yes, that's exactly what this thread is. there is still plenty to discuss if you feel a game has certain graphical elements that outshine that of driveclub, but framerate isn't one of them. make a new thread if you want to discuss performance in relation to racers currently on the market.

I think that DC @60fps would look noticeably better than F6. The hell, even GT6 is just superb in some graphical elements compared to racers on current-gen, and that game is from last-gen console.

I really can't imagine what PD will do with GT7 on PS4.
Better is very subjective. Imo, driveclub is better than F6. It's definitely more technically demanding as well.

Hm? I think like 99% of people here agree that DC is obviously the best looking racer. There are just some people using FPS as an explanation or excuse that the others fall short of DCs visuals.

I don't really see many people disagreeing its more like a "yeah, but..."

finally you get it, can the broken record responses end now?

and until it's bettered, yes, that's exactly what this thread is. there is still plenty to discuss if you feel a game has certain graphical elements that outshine that of driveclub, but framerate isn't one of them. make a new thread if you want to discuss performance in relation to racers currently on the market.

So in this fascist thread we can't discuss, but simply agree? And since when doesn't framerate have anything to to do with graphics?

Stillmatic

Yeah minus the weather effects and dull lighting there are some sketchy graphics going on

http://i.imgur.com/lVyIoSC.jpg

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/248/2482864/2847538-0790621010-26878.jpg

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DCBeta-10.jpg

http://i.cubeupload.com/3CgMHV.jpg

The weather effects and lighting are hands down the best, but on the two or three occasions when I got to play this it was daylight, no weather effects and I can honestly say I was as impressed as I would be seeing a pigeon at a zoo.

Yikes, I've got over 1800 screenshots of Driveclub gameplay and not a single one looks as bad as those.

All are at night with weather effects of course.

edit: edited the figure

Conduit

Banned
Yeah minus the weather effects and dull lighting there are some sketchy graphics going on

2847538-0790621010-26878.jpg

But sun is directly behind the car.

This thread IS FOR discussing wich game looks better when you take an screenshot of what it renders. END.

This is a GRAPHICS face off, not a performance face off. Whichever puts out better graphics, INDEPENDENTLY of the frame rate, wins. Simple.

Really? This contradicts the OP. Additionally, it takes some liberties with the definition of graphics. I'm pretty sure this is not strictly a screenshot comparison thread. Perhaps you should start a new thread for that purpose if it is that important to only examine screenshots and ignore other graphical elements.

Purest 78

But would you be fine with a damn near photo-real game at 15fps? Naturally it'll never happen, I'm just curious at this point.

I don't think 15fps would be playable While 30fps is completely fine for me. Only games I see a huge difference is 1st person shooters.

nkarafo

The fact that Drive Club runs at 30fps is a negative aspect of the visuals. It hinders the visual splendor of the game because 30fps is not enough in order to hide the obvious jump between each frame.

Racing games that run at 60 fps lack this "stutter" effect and move smoothly without any noticeable gap between frames, making them look more realistic in MOTION.

This realism in motion makes these games look more convincing in my eyes. I mean, in comparison, DC is like the equivalent of how the real world would look if you are completely drunk or something. It looks amazing (in still screen-shots and gifs) yes but hey, it would look even better at 20fps. or 10. So what if a 20fps racing game had better graphics than DC? Would you still vote it for the best looking racing game?

The fact that Drive Club runs at 30fps is a negative aspect of the visuals. It hinders the visual splendor of the game because 30fps is not enough in order to hide the obvious jump between each frame.

Racing games that run at 60 fps lack this "stutter" effect and move smoothly without any noticeable "gap" between frames, making them look more realistic in MOTION.

This realism in motion makes these games look more convincing in my eyes. I mean, in comparison, DC is like the equivalent of how the real world look if you are completely drunk or something. It looks amazing (in still screen-shots and gifs) yes but hey, it would look even better at 20fps. or 10. So what if a 20fps racing game had better graphics than DC? Would you still vote it for the best looking racing game?

For the purpose of this thread, YES. Hence people are posting 4K images from Project cars on beast PC rigs. If they can get it looking better than Driveclub then it can be considered the best looking game.

trillbo

For the purpose of this thread, YES. Hence people are posting 4K images from Project cars on beast PC rigs. If they can get it looking better than Driveclub then it can be considered the best looking game.

And that's why this is the most pointless thread on Gaf.

This thread is hella useful.

It funnels some of the useless fanboy drivel away from dedicated game threads though unfortunately not all of it.

Good point!

nkarafo

PCs are different because the games can still run as smooth as they should either by reducing resolutions, details, etc or by using more powerful hardware. DC is a game that cannot be experienced as is should, no matter what you do. The stuttery, 30fps motion is hardwired within it's core.

MilkyJoe

But sun is directly behind the car.

That doesnt change the terrible vegetation

Does this really look less cartoony

8vgPxB8.png

than this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Drive Club needs the weather and the low level lighting to really shine.

Ok, I get it. This thread is basically a nice little place you can get together to gush over how much better DC looks than other racing games out at the moment, with no room for any discussion whatsoever, because ultimately what is there left to say after identifying that DC looks best?

There has been tons of discussion in this thread - foliage, clouds/skyboxes, environments, car models, lighting, textures...all have been discussed and compared in here.

I don't really care either way, I rarely visit this thread now, I'm just telling you how it is. Many people don't consider the things you mentioned as relevant to the thread, you can either make a new thread specifically for that type of discussion, you can keep posting it here and hope someone engages with you. *Shrugs*

DD

Sorry for not sticking to the topic but is anyone else having trouble seeing pictures benzy posts?

I can't follow the links either. I'm on Firefox with noscript (nothing left to allow even) if that helps.
Fine here, but he does use some obscure web host. :p

The Indian tracks would look more similar than Chile. :p

Still, too much motion blur

The motion blur is why the game looks so good in motion and get a realistic motion blur in your periphery. As you can see in all the gifs people post.

It does negatively effect gameplay stills and why it is removed from photo mode. However we don't play games as stills thus why it is important and does contribute to the sense of speed, the stutter is not due to 30fps it is due to the camera shake which you can turn off and the framerate feels a hell of a lot smoother.

One of the reasons why DC and pretty much all games look less appealing at midday with no cloud is lack of shadow and harsh reflections, on tracks like Sinclair pass and Lytton then it looks brilliant because you have the tall tree shadows and light rays all mixing it up. The lower the sun the longer the shadows also the different tones the light casts as well as being applied to reflections.

Top Bottom