• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because it was posted on Sunday.

Literally all it says is that Nintendo is in talks with Squenix to use a character for a game project. It does not say which character or which project. The source is just some reader of the site called "Noel", too, so you should take it with all the salt available in the salt mines underneath Aperture Science.

cednym

Banned
Major Fire Emblem: Awakening plot spoilers:

Masked Marth is actually Krom's daughter, Lucina, in disguise. Even though she has no shot, I suspect a lot of people will start including her on their lists just because it's a woman.

So ... that was the "rumor" you all were talking about? WTF is with all the secrecy? It's a lame rumor that isn't proven to even refer to Smash :/

Fire Emblem: Awakening spoilers:

Masked Marth is actually Krom's daughter, Lucina, in disguise. Even though she has no shot, I suspect a lot of people will start including her on their lists just because it's a woman.
I'm pretty sure people will stick to that Anne girl instead.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

So it's not tranny Marth?

Boney

Banned
MAJOR SPOILERS

Well shieeeeeeeeeet you just don't bring a spoiler like that so casually.

especially when the game isn't even out in japan yet

fuck

MAJOR SPOILERS

Boney

Banned
It's in spoiler tags, he mentioned it was a spoiler...and you're not happy because you read it?
you don't expect to read late game spoilers of a game that's not even out in japan in a smash thread. Sure I'm partly to blame, but come the fuck on, learn how to spoiler!

Boney

Banned
The blame is entirely on you.

Mark spoilers appropriately
When posting spoilers about anything, always mark it properly. Using a spoiler tag alone is often not the best way because no one will know what you have hidden behind the tag without reading it first. Using proper marking can make it very helpful for others to know if they want to highlight the spoiler tag or not.

no it's not

Boney

Banned
You're right, I totally didn't preface the spoiler with "Fire Emblem: Awakening spoilers" or anything.

I have no idea to know how big the spoilers were because as far as I know, no one should be privy to that information, because again, game isn't out. Thought it'd be something that was discussed in an Iwata's asks or something.

"Major late game spoilers, highlight by your own risk" would be more appropriate, don't you think?

Again, I'm not entirely blameless in the matter because in the end it's my responsability and decision to highlight the spoilers, but this whole incident could've been avoided if you used a bit more discretion when posting said spoilers.

It's not an unreasonable request, right?

Gravijah

to be fair, when using spoiler tags you should be giving context, too.

like:

MAJOR PLOT POINT SPOILER
something something something

cednym

Banned
I have no idea to know how big the spoilers were because as far as I know, no one should be privy to that information, because again, game isn't out. Thought it'd be something that was discussed in an Iwata's asks or something.

"Major late game spoilers, highlight by your own risk" would be more appropriate, don't you think?

Again, I'm not entirely blameless in the matter because in the end it's my responsability and decision to highlight the spoilers, but this whole incident could've been avoided if you used a bit more discretion when posting said spoilers.

No, it's not unreasonable, but I'm a bit peeved that you're saying I incorrectly marked those spoilers when I didn't. Throwing a single spoiler-ed word or two in the middle of a paragraph is wrong. Saying "Fire Emblem spoilers ahead" and then tagging the entire sentence is within the rules.

Boss Doggie

Well he did have that title and warning. Maybe he didn't use bold and italic?

to be fair, when using spoiler tags you should be giving context, too.

like:

MAJOR PLOT POINT SPOILER
something something something

Goddamnit, if climax-chan dies from the hands of evil ass-pull she won't be able to consummate with plot-kun!

Gravijah

No, it's not unreasonable, but I'm a bit peeved that you're saying I incorrectly marked those spoilers when I didn't. Throwing a single spoiler-ed word or two in the middle of a paragraph is wrong. Saying "Fire Emblem spoilers ahead" and then tagging the entire sentence is within the rules.

yes, but you want to give some form of context so people have an idea of what is about to be spoiled.

boney is still a dumb dumb for highlighting it, though.

Again, I'm not entirely blameless in the matter because in the end it's my responsability and decision to highlight the spoilers, but this whole incident could've been avoided if I had just not clicked on the spoiler.

You're right, it's not.

Boney

Banned
No, but I'm a bit peeved that you're saying I incorrectly marked those spoilers when I didn't. Throwing a single spoiler-ed word or two in the middle of a paragraph is wrong. Saying "Fire Emblem spoilers ahead" and then tagging the entire sentence is within the rules.

They're not rules, it's etiquette. The fact that you can't differentiate between the two should come as no suprise though.

Well he did have that title and warning. Maybe he didn't use bold and italic?

If the game isn't out, it's not that far fetched for me to think that the spoilers have something to do with pre-release media, not a major plot point.

cednym

Banned
So, you're challenging my integrity because I said "spoilers" instead of "major spoilers" in tacky red text? Seriously? It's nobody's fault but your own for highlighting a fairly lengthy spoiler appropriately described as one.

I've going to agree with this, spoilers are tricky business for the most part so I personally try to specify the detailing of the spoiler beforehand if possible, say like if it's final boss spoilers. While I wont condemn our spoiler tagging friend I did fall victim to it, it's odd circumstances, I mean is the game even out yet? I figured we were at the point where the spoilers amounted to "this guy from an older game is dlc" or "this characters is actually of royal blood but as a basic plot point", those sort of weak spoilers that are tagged as to save those that want to go in completely clean. In the end I shouldn't have highlighted it but i'd advise people to go the extra mile with plot spoilers for recent or unreleased games.
Safe to say I could have done with a major plot spoiler warning, but I can let this slide as I had another game spoiled for me earlier this week with some ATROCIOUS spoiler tagging, by comparison this FE one is top notch.

Well anyway, what's done is done and there's no use carrying on about it.

They're not rules, it's etiquette. The fact that you can't differentiate between the two should come as no suprise though.
Insults now, eh?

If the game isn't out, it's not that far fetched for me to think that the spoilers have something to do with pre-release media, not a major plot point.
"Hey, spoiler tags for an unreleased game! Well, this game isn't even out yet, so what harm could there be in reading this spoiler?

WOW, WHAT THE HECK? I'VE BEEN SPOILED."

Boney

Banned
So, you're challenging my integrity because I said "spoilers" instead of "major spoilers" in tacky red text? Seriously? It's nobody's fault but your own for highlighting a fairly lengthy spoiler appropriately described as one.

My tacky red text is a response to you doing a half assed job, that did help someone above.
Honestly, I just have no idea how hard it is to understand how the way you worded it, can come off confusing and not clear enough and how hard it is to change it to ensure this doesn't happen again. E-pride is too important I guess.

McNum

Let me introduce a little trick I use for spoilers: The nested spoiler.

An example:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Character spoiler!
I can't believe that
Sonic the Hedgehog
is actually in the game!

In used this to obscure the character name, even if the first part of the spoiler is clicked.

The code for this is simple: [spoiler]Text [spoiler]SPOILER[/spoiler] text[/spoiler]

It's good for situations like this, so an accidental click has much less chance of ruining major plot events in unreleased games.

Boss Doggie

Let's all just hug each other. Don't worry, eagle biceps don't crush.

Let me introduce a little trick I use for spoilers: The nested spoiler.

An example:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Character spoiler!
I can't believe that

In used this to obscure the character name, even if the first part of the spoiler is clicked.

The code for this is simple:
Text
SPOILER
text

It's good for situations like this, so an accidental click has much less chance of ruining major plot events in unreleased games.
Ahh useful for single clicks but not so much vs highlights.

McNum

Let's all just hug each other. Don't worry, eagle biceps don't crush.

Ahh useful for single clicks but not so much vs highlights.
Yeah, you can't make any spoiler foolproof, but with context, and a nested spoiler for the really big things, it's probably the best you can do. There's no limit to how much you can nest a spoiler, by the way, just keep the number of opening and closing tags the same.

And also, using the [norparse][/plain] tag really messes up quotes. I use noparse so it won't read the tag, but instead just post it as text. Amusingly, to post this, I need two pairs of noparse. Why? To have it not parse the noparse tag, of course. Computers are funny sometimes.

Emitan

Don't understand how anyone could possibly or have enough empathy to mark a major spoiler for a game as such ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S NOT RELEASED.

When someone decides to highlight a spoiler their decision to highlight can only be an inform decision at your digression. Didn't provide them enough information? Looks like its your fault because they didn't have enough information to judge and basically had to take a random guess because you couldn't go through the intense effort of marking a spoiler properly.

McNum

On the bright side, at least the big character reveal wasn't done in a Nintendo press release this time. That was... odd. For Radiant Dawn the press release told people to look forward to discovering that
Zelgius
was the Black Knight. Um, thanks?

cednym

Banned
Don't understand how anyone could possibly or have enough empathy to mark a major spoiler for a game as such ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S NOT RELEASED.

When someone decides to highlight a spoiler their decision to highlight can only be an inform decision at your digression. Didn't provide them enough information? Looks like its your fault because they didn't have enough information to judge and basically had to take a random guess because you couldn't go through the intense effort of marking a spoiler properly.

I'm sorry for not prefacing the spoiler any better, but itchy trigger fingers aren't my fault. I said there were spoilers... and there were spoilers! Surprise! I've learned my "lesson." Let's move on.

Hey guys,
Link
defeats Ganon.

You'd have every right to be mad there. Even without highlighting the spoiler, much is still revealed contextually -- you know that somebody defeats Ganon.

Zelda spoilers:
Link defeats Ganon.

Yeah, they're big spoilers, but it's still tagged appropriately. Nothing is ruined unless you highlight the spoiler, which is beyond my control. If I saw a sign that read "Caution: Wet Floor," I wouldn't run across it with the justification that the sign didn't read "Really Wet Floor."

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If people are afraid of the spoilers then they shouldn't visit smash thread frequently because many people would like to see those characters from recently/future games. I accidently spoiled myself with kid icarus in this thread and yet I haven't played the game yet. I blame no one but myself for clicking on the spoiler despite it don't have any warning. Just suck it up and accept it, boney and move on.

Also, I wish that people stop bitching about spoilers in smash thread because it's going to happens a lot during Smash Hype. People will forget to spoiler tag their spoilers and few characters that we might see in SSB4 may have spoilers characters. I recalled that it happened sometime during SSBB hype threads.

Gravijah

Yeah, they're big spoilers, but it's still tagged appropriately. Nothing is ruined unless you highlight the spoiler, which is beyond my control. If I saw a sign that read "Caution: Wet Floor," I wouldn't run across it with the justification that the sign didn't read "Really Wet Floor."

well, a better analogy would be a sign that just says caution. you have no idea what's wrong with the floor, just as you have no idea what is being spoiled with fire emblem.

cednym

Banned
Eh, not really, because you could still slip and fall on the floor regardless of what the sign says. The only way to be spoiled is by highlighting the text on your own volition. I didn't "force" the spoiler on anyone.

Emitan

I'm sorry for not prefacing the spoiler any better, but itchy trigger fingers aren't my fault. I said there were spoilers... and there were spoilers! Surprise! I've learned my "lesson." Let's move on.

Hey guys,
Link
defeats Ganon.

You'd have every right to be mad there. Even without highlighting the spoiler, much is still revealed contextually -- you know that somebody defeats Ganon.

Zelda spoilers:
Link defeats Ganon.

So again you miss the entire point. It's proper etiquette to provide context to spoilers. You didn't do that. Instead of just fixing the post you feel a need to defend your breach in etiquette as something that's totally okay to do.

cednym

Banned
I'm only "defending" myself because Boney felt the need to insult me. If he wasn't being a child about this and suggested that I better preface the spoiler, I would have done so graciously, but he elected against taking the high road.

Gravijah

silly analogies aside, you've gotta let people know what you are spoiling.

early quest spoiler
rats rats rats

major plot point
rats joins you

ending question
did rats marry cecilia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom