• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranzor

I had an idea a while back for a Mario & Luigi character that represents the RPGs. They would play like the Ice Climbers (as in, you play as two characters) and could have moves from the games. Mario is pretty well represented already and putting in Mario and Luigi again would just be redundant, though.

Thores

(I'm secretly wishing the 3DS version gets canned.)

I actually wouldn't mind this myself. I have a 3DS that I want to play games on and even if I didn't SSB would be a system seller for me, but I feel a bit antsy about Sakurai splitting his attention between two versions of the game. I'm worried that it'll detract from the quality of both titles, and would rather he put all his effort into making one spectacular game instead of two pretty good ones. Plus he's mentioned that he wants the 3DS version to be a more "personal" single-player experience, and while it would be cool to see that executed well, it seems like Smash is the type of game that isn't particularly built well for that style of play. Double plus, work on the 3DS version means that the Wii U one will take longer to come out whether it's rushed or not, and I'm way more intrigued about how HD Smash will look than 3D Smash.

Oh well, we'll see.

GamerSoul

I actually wouldn't mind this myself. I have a 3DS that I want to play games on and even if I didn't SSB would be a system seller for me, but I feel a bit antsy about Sakurai splitting his attention between two versions of the game. I'm worried that it'll detract from the quality of both titles, and would rather he put all his effort into making one spectacular game instead of two pretty good ones. Plus he's mentioned that he wants the 3DS version to be a more "personal" single-player experience, and while it would be cool to see that executed well, it seems like Smash is the type of game that isn't particularly built well for that style of play. Double plus, work on the 3DS version means that the Wii U one will take longer to come out whether it's rushed or not, and I'm way more intrigued about how HD Smash will look than 3D Smash.

Oh well, we'll see.

Maybe they'll just expand the team again?lol Whatever Sakurai wants, he'll probably get whoch even includes more time. I'm pretty sure both will have great quality in the end, but I do see your point.

SmithnCo

The idea of portable Smash excites me greatly, so I would hope for the 3DS one to not be cancelled. I would take longer development time, or scattered releases, instead of it being totally canned. It would also probably interface with the WiiU version which would be cool to see.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Playing Kid Icarus would actually push make me favour a 3DS version more. He and his given team really managed to push that little system.

Tony Hawk, holy shit.
KuGsj.gif

qq more

Wasn't there rumours that SSBU would be heavily third party focused, with these being the predicted additions?

I quite like the idea myself.

No, the rumor is fake because it makes absolutely no sense since it's a Nintendo All-Stars fighting game. 3rd parties are just special guests. And that roster is honestly awful and completely Un-Smash Brosy for so many reasons. Tony Hawks, Cloud, Lloyd, etc will obviously not make it for any Smash Bros game ever. Cloud has no reason to be in a Nintendo game, the majority of Nintendo fans won't likely care about FF7. And Tony Hawks?!?!?!?!?!?! Whattttttttttttttt, dude.

But you know what, I've seen much worse wishlists. Who was that weirdo that wanted Mickey Mouse and anime characters then argued with "WHAT IF SAKURAI CHANGED HIS MIND ABOUT IT BEING JUST GAMING CHARACTERS?"? He was in this thread but I honestly forgot who that crazy guy was. Provided so many laughs. I think he was also the same guy who said Pikachu is an anime character and not really a game character. :lol

You're missing James Bond.

Not even that far out there - back in the original Smash 64, the proximity mines had the same design as those in Goldeneye 64. So there's at least some base to go from. It's still very very VERY unlikely, but more likely than fucking Tony Hawk or Cloud, lol.

Cloud has no reason to be in a Nintendo game, the majority of Nintendo fans won't likely care about FF7.

I wouldn't say that; a lot of people LOVELOVELOVE FF7. That includes people who like Nintendo, of course. So I wouldn't say the "majority won't care about FF7", but rather that the "majority would have no fucking clue why the hell these characters are included".

qq more

no way mang goku shold be in it becuz hes an anime character and he has a place in smash bros i meen look at ash w/ squirtle and co, he was an anime chaacter!!!!

SmithnCo

Harry Pooter shuld be in his final smash would be avardo kadava and he turns into dark lord then voldermord comes out and kills everyone on screen

Can't wait until GameFAQs wishlists hit their peak this time around.

Harry Pooter shuld be in his final smash would be avardo kadava and he turns into dark lord then voldermord comes out and kills everyone on screen

I think I just pissed myself, haha.

If we're gonna do that, I wanna have Worf to wreck shit with phasers and batleths and Klingon martial arts. And as a final smash, he drinks prune juice and becomes Ultimate Worf.

MisterHero

Not even that far out there - back in the original Smash 64, the proximity mines had the same design as those in Goldeneye 64. So there's at least some base to go from. It's still very very VERY unlikely, but more likely than fucking Tony Hawk or Cloud, lol.
It was a long time ago but I think he was in an official poll asking who should be in Smash Bros. 2, along with Banjo-Kazooie

The landmine isn't a coincidence, because the JP version of Melee had the Perfect Dark mine

Nintendo almost had the exclusive rights to Harry Potter before EA bought them.

As a serious suggestion, I'd really like to see Popeye.

no way mang goku shold be in it becuz hes an anime character and he has a place in smash bros i meen look at ash w/ squirtle and co, he was an anime chaacter!!!!
Goku can represent Jump Superstars

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The original dojo had information that the Brawl one did not, one being the reason behind the choice of choice schemes. Sakurai chose some weird sources (Black Captain Falcon is from a Japanese FZero X advert for example) so it would have been nice to know the reasons behind the Brawls ones.

I remember the original Dojo also mentioning some characters that were planned for Smash 64 that didn't make it in the end, such as Sukapon from Joy Mech Fight, and I believe Wario ... or was it Dedede? Maybe both.
I also remember that Jigglypuff was chosen because Sakurai wanted a flying character next to Kirby.

cednym

Banned
I remember the original Dojo also mentioning some characters that were planned for Smash 64 that didn't make it in the end, such as Sukapon from Joy Mech Fight, and I believe Wario ... or was it Dedede? Maybe both.

Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo are the only characters mentioned on the original Dojo as having been cut. Curiously, I've seen quite a few people say that Skapon was planned for the first game, but I don't believe Sakurai ever said that.

In some versions of the game the trophy for the proxy mine in Melee actually credits it as having come from Perfect Dark 2 (TBA), and the design of the Melee Proxy mine is nearly identical to the mines that later appeared in Perfect Dark Zero, so it seems really likely that the Smash team went and got the design from Rare.

The design and all sorts were changed later on. I think the European version is the one with the Perfect Dark stuff intact, I think. I forget.

In an alternate universe somewhere, Joanna Dark and Banjo are in Brawl.

Hero

He (or rather X) is in the new upcoming crossover game for the 3DS.
I like X but I think he was better suited for MvC3. Classic Mega Man would suit SSB better I think but either way I'd be happy.
Of course it's up to Sakurai, no one is doubting that. But to deny that series popularity has anything to do with character selection is just silly. There's a reason why Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon have consistently been the series with the most representation (characters and otherwise). Series popularity is a rather large part of how a series is represented, and sales are a rather reasonable barometer for popularity (how else does one gauge series popularity?). It's not the only factor, but it absolutely is one. To deny that is just being willfully ignorant.

I'm not sure if you read through the posts I made but I said that I think Kid Icarus is a shoe in for two newcomers for SSB4 and people proclaimed that Kid Icarus isn't popular enough or sells enough to warrant that. I'm not saying popularity has nothing to do with it as that's how the series began but at this point any newcomers are going to be second tier choices compared to the ones we have now and Sakurai is pretty much the decider of what characters will get in.

A list of bollocks.

If Konami got another representative it should be Twinbee.

Simon Belmont would be a better choice.

Only if it's Simon Belmont from Captain N.

Emitan

Change Coming to Super Smash Bros. Wii U, 3DS
Franchise creator Masahiro Sakurai gives us his early thoughts as he returns to Nintendo's blockbuster franchise.

"I intend to change direction a little as we go," Sakurai said, indicating his desire to possbily find a new mechanic or idea to drive two new entries in the series. "The key to that's going to be its dual support for 3DS/Wii U."

Sakurai, as well as Nintendo global president Satoru Iwata, had previously acknowledged his interest in linking the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game, which were announced simultaneously at E3 2011. "I'm really just getting started on this so it's going to take time, but I'll come up with something that uses that link as the game's central axis, so I hope you're looking forward to it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom