• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely want it to release in 2014 or later so I can make a "Why does Halo 2 have better online functionality than another big budget AAA game released a whole decade later" topic for massive lulz. Pessimistic, I know.

I actually wouldn't mind this myself. I have a 3DS that I want to play games on and even if I didn't SSB would be a system seller for me, but I feel a bit antsy about Sakurai splitting his attention between two versions of the game. I'm worried that it'll detract from the quality of both titles, and would rather he put all his effort into making one spectacular game instead of two pretty good ones. Plus he's mentioned that he wants the 3DS version to be a more "personal" single-player experience, and while it would be cool to see that executed well, it seems like Smash is the type of game that isn't particularly built well for that style of play. Double plus, work on the 3DS version means that the Wii U one will take longer to come out whether it's rushed or not, and I'm way more intrigued about how HD Smash will look than 3D Smash.

Oh well, we'll see.

Personally I think he's gonna try to make it a case where the 2 games work so closely that the they're basically 2 parts of a whole. So yeah, I think the 3DS version will basically be an expanded SSE with w/e customization system he puts in place and the WU title may have all the vs fighting and online stuff.

Plus "making 2 games" is a great excuse for having a larger team and putting someone else in charge of some things for one title.
But ehh ... I'm not excited about having a 3DS version :/
If they can do that stuff on the WU then I don't see the point.

I'm not sure if you read through the posts I made but I said that I think Kid Icarus is a shoe in for two newcomers for SSB4 and people proclaimed that Kid Icarus isn't popular enough or sells enough to warrant that. I'm not saying popularity has nothing to do with it as that's how the series began but at this point any newcomers are going to be second tier choices compared to the ones we have now and Sakurai is pretty much the decider of what characters will get in.

Exactly,
IDK why people couldn't understand that

That's why I don't understand this obsession with crunching numbers and rating "chances" based on arbitrary BS. I do feel that at this point pretty much all "Gotta have/ urgent/ too important to over look" characters are safely in smash or likely to come back (Mewtwo).
I don't think Nintendo "Sways" him, I believe that sometimes (like in Pokemon or FE) he will go to the devs and ask them for suggestions or info/ a list to pick from.

Cranzor

I just came up with the perfect title.

Super Smash Bros. Duel

It keeps the fighting word tradition but is also a pun on the word "dual", representing the fact that the game is for 3DS and Wii U. Please hire me Nintendo.

Thores

I'd like it if the names were this:

3DS: Super Smash Bros Scuffle
Wii U: Super Smash Bros Showdown

Alternately, "Rumble" and "Royale" respectively. I like the idea of the pair having the same initials, despite some possible confusion.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
IF Nintendo deem DLC as successful in their eyes, then I hope that they would go with this path.

That would solve Sakurai's problem for not finishing the characters on time. Hence SSB's Wario, Bowser and DeDeDe and SSBB's Roy, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Toon Zelda, Dixie, etc.

SmithnCo

I wonder if they will just use the same name for both. Duel 3DS/Duel WiiU.

Kinda boring but if they are going to make the games interact with each other it might be good marketing.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Wouldn't it be amazing if Sakurai somehow, and for whatever reason, made a teaser trailer really quick and showed it at this E3?

heh

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
My only demand for the next Smash Bros is customisation on the level of Melee. If anything like tripping is included, make it optional.
Oh, and a decent online component.
That's all.

guek

Banned
sony all stars reminded me how excited i am for SSB4. Whoo, bring it on Sakurai!

Re1CQ.gif

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
sony all stars reminded me how excited i am for SSB4. Whoo, bring it on Sakurai!

I really hope that Sony Smash would give Sakurai the motivation that he need to make his SSB4 way better. Hopefully, he would get few idea that might benefit him for the game. I don't mind dual nintendo universe stages. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I would find it hilariously ironic when Shoryuken accepts Sony All Stars despite seemingly being similar to Smash (which they loathe). They're fucked up like that.

guek

Banned
I really hope that Sony Smash would give Sakurai the motivation that he need to make his SSB4 way better. Hopefully, he would get few idea that might benefit him for the game. I don't mind dual nintendo universe stages. :p

Eh, I think the mashed universe stages makes the all stars game look like complete ass due to clashing art styles and color palettes. I have a bit more faith in nintendo's artists though, and they also have the benefit of having universes with brighter colors, so maybe it could work.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if Smash would be allowed to have more threads like Sony All Stars or if it would be confined to a single thread.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I think the mashed universe stages makes the all stars game look like complete ass due to clashing art styles and color palettes. I have a bit more faith in nintendo's artists though, and they also have the benefit of having universes with brighter colors, so maybe it could work.
Yep.

I wonder if Smash would be allowed to have more threads like Sony All Stars or if it would be confined to a single thread.

When Smash 4 gets revealed, it'll probably get multiple threads. Not much for us to discuss now, except Sakurai vaguely stating he wants to change some stuff.

Kard8p3

Spoilers related to Kid Icarus Uprising

Some kind of stage featuring Hades from Uprising needs to be in the new smash. He could beat you down with dialogue and super shoryukens. That or they could just have him as a playable character.

TheKyle07

Some kind of stage featuring Hades from Uprising needs to be in the new smash. He could beat you down with dialogue and super shoryukens. That or they could just have him as a playable character.

Kga9M.png

Just replace Hades with
Hades

BOOM. Best stage ever.

The Brawl modding community never ceases to amaze me.

Heh.

Unrelated, but I want to try the project M thing. The guys I used to play Melee with moved away and we don't have the schedules to play Brawl online, but I just got my partner to try it out. The more I play Brawl the less I like how different it is from its predecessor. It's still fun, but I can't adjust well enough to play on the same level I played Melee at. But then again I am older and wasn't particularly good at the game in the first place.

pramath

Banned
Please release the next one by 2014... 2013 would be preferable (and for those saying that's too soon, Melee had a development cycle of what, two years?)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I remember reading an interview very early into Brawl's development cycle where Sakurai said that he wanted Brawl to have a much more significant focus on aerial combat than Melee. Does anyone else remember reading/hearing that? I'm not crazy, am I? :(

Full character IMO. I'd rather have a background stage of humans warring and
reset bombs dropping

Though the stage you suggested would be superior to him as a character if he basically monologued the whole time.

NeonZ

Personally I think he's gonna try to make it a case where the 2 games work so closely that the they're basically 2 parts of a whole. So yeah, I think the 3DS version will basically be an expanded SSE with w/e customization system he puts in place and the WU title may have all the vs fighting and online stuff.

Sakurai said before in that earlier interview that, although connection between the titles will be important and the games should have interesting features together, they'll still be standalone titles. I don't think the newer quote implies he changed that take. Just cutting away half of the games apart really doesn't work. It's the kind of stuff that bad developers did in the transition to PS3/360 development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom