• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's fabulous.
Brawl_Boss_Galacta_Knight_by_hextupleyoodot.jpg

Should be an alt costume for Meta Knight, imo.

That looks pretty awesome, where is it from?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What did they do to Kid Icarus other than make it into an amazing game?

They made Kid Icarus actually have a personality. That's bad.

That looks pretty awesome, where is it from?

From the DS port of Kirby Superstar and then make an appearance in Return to Dreamland. His name is Galacta Knight. No one knows how he is related to Meta Knight. He's like MK without limits.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
If the rumours of a Wii U sequel are true, part of me wants Alex Roivas from Eternal Darkness in, even as the other part is scared of an artstyle/tonal fuck-up along the lines of PSASBR. It would be another nice substantial female character they could add. Also: Sanity Effects.

WillyFive

If the rumours of a Wii U sequel are true, part of me wants characters from Eternal Darkness in. The other part of me thinks that could result in a royal artstyle/tonal fuck-up like we're seeing from PSASBR.

Nah, in Brawl we got Toon Link, Solid Snake, and Mister Game and Watch in one screen. The awkwardness of PSASBRASBRASBR has more to do with poor graphics rather than having Kratos and Fat Princess together.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, in Brawl we got Toon Link, Solid Snake, and Mister Game and Watch in one screen. The awkwardness of PSASBRASBRASBR has more to do with poor graphics rather than having Kratos and Fat Princess together.
Yeah, good point. At first I was thinking, if Snake was in Brawl, why not? But then as I thought about it it hit me that Eternal Darkness is very serious business.
But why the hell not? Dark magic and sanity effects are too good to pass up.

1upmuffin

I wonder if we will still get any Melee stages, or just Brawl ones in Smash 4.

If it was only Brawl stages I would like to have Smashville, Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege and Yoshi's Island.

Boss Doggie

they gave him less personality than a silent protagonist.

At least he has personality than the one in NES! Hahahahah!

If it was only Brawl stages I would like to have Smashville, Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege and Yoshi's Island.

I'd want Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, and Pokemon Stadium 2.

Ideally they'd have some stages spanning all three prior games - not too many, but some.

But then, they didn't include any Smash 64 stages in Brawl... kind of doubt they'll forgo any Melee stages, considering its continuing popularity, but I dunno if they'll bother with any 64 ones.

cednym

Banned
I want every stage, damn it. Stop dropping stuff from the previous entries, Sakurai.

It's doable.

Of course it's "doable," but time's also a factor. With the new game especially, they can't simply just port old stages over with the outdated textures and modeling.

cednym

Banned
Sure they can. Just label them as "retro". Problem solved.

Maybe I'm alone, but I wouldn't even want to use untouched GameCube stages thrown into the new HD game. That would be way too jarring. Brawl can get away with it because there isn't too great a visual leap over Melee, but a 60fps/1080p Smash Bros. with those stages... I'll pass. I'd like to see a few of the older stages redone, but I wouldn't want straight transfers.

Thores

Maybe I'm alone, but I wouldn't even want to use untouched GameCube stages thrown into the new HD game. That would be way too jarring.

You aren't alone. Returning stages should be touched up, plz.

I would accept a ported over and completely unaltered Smash 64 stage though, polygons the size of my hand and all, on account of it being hilarious.

For me, I'd kinda hope there were 25 returning stages and 25 new ones. Brawl had a total of 41 stages. I think there are plenty of stages that were perfect and would be fine to be reused. 25 new ones would still be fairly close to the amount of new ones introduced in Brawl.

Returning Brawl stages: Delfino Plaza, Yoshi's Island, Bridge of Eldin, Smashville, Skyworld, Castle Siege, Wario Ware inc., Halberd, Summit, Luigi's Mansion, Green Hill Zone & Pirate Ship.

Returning Melee Stages: Hyrule Temple, Princess Peach's Castle, Corneria, Onett, Brinstar, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Pokemon Stadium, Poke Floats, Big Blue, & Flat Zone

Returning 64 stages: Saffron City & Yoshi's Island

These would be my pick. Granted some of these were just simple because of franchise representation over personal feelings towards stages. There'd be a lot more Pokemon, Zelda and Mario stages if it was just personal choices because I've always liked their stages. The rest can be left for DLC. One notable thing is that a lot of Melee stages built off 64 stage ideas and just made them bigger, better and more refined so there is no point to them. Same thing with Brawl where it did that for some of Melee stages. Granted some failed in Brawl.

Looking through the stages, It seems the Mario and Zelda ones seem to always be the best stages. I'm not sure if it's my personal attachment to those series are higher than others but Luigi's Mansion, Delfino Plaza, Princess Peach's Castle, Mushroom Kingdom 1 and Mushroom Kingdom 2 all are some of my favorite stages. As are Pirate Ship, Bridge of Eldin, Hyrule Temple, Termina Bay and Hyrule Castle.

ASTROID2

Maybe I'm alone, but I wouldn't even want to use untouched GameCube stages thrown into the new HD game. That would be way too jarring. Brawl can get away with it because there isn't too great a visual leap over Melee, but a 60fps/1080p Smash Bros. with those stages... I'll pass. I'd like to see a few of the older stages redone, but I wouldn't want straight transfers.

I think it would be the opposite. I think you would be amazed at how good some of the levels would look in 1080p.

1upmuffin

For me, I'd kinda hope there were 25 returning stages and 25 new ones. Brawl had a total of 41 stages. I think there are plenty of stages that were perfect and would be fine to be reused. 25 new ones would still be fairly close to the amount of new ones introduced in Brawl.

Returning Brawl stages: Delfino Plaza, Yoshi's Island, Bridge of Eldin, Smashville, Skyworld, Castle Siege, Wario Ware inc., Halberd, Summit, Luigi's Mansion, Green Hill Zone & Pirate Ship.

Returning Melee Stages: Hyrule Temple, Princess Peach's Castle, Corneria, Onett, Brinstar, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Pokemon Stadium, Poke Floats, Big Blue, & Flat Zone

These would be my pick. Granted some of these were just simple because of franchise representation over personal feelings towards stages. There'd be a lot more Pokemon, Zelda and Mario stages if it was just personal choices because I've always liked their stages. The rest can be left for DLC. One notable thing is that a lot of Melee stages built off 64 stage ideas and just made them bigger, better and more refined so there is no point to them. Same thing with Brawl where it did that for some of Melee stages. Granted some failed in Brawl.

Looking through the stages, It seems the Mario and Zelda ones seem to always be the best stages. I'm not sure if it's my personal attachment to those series are higher than others but Luigi's Mansion, Delfino Plaza, Princess Peach's Castle, Mushroom Kingdom 1 and Mushroom Kingdom 2 all are some of my favorite stages. As are Pirate Ship, Bridge of Eldin, Hyrule Temple, Termina Bay and Hyrule Castle.

I get most of your choices, but I've never met anyone who enjoyed Poke floats.

One notable thing is that a lot of Melee stages built off 64 stage ideas and just made them bigger, better and more refined so there is no point to them. Same thing with Brawl where it did that for some of Melee stages. Granted some failed in Brawl.
This is certainly true for a few stages - Sector Z -> Corneria (although it kinda shrank in the transition) and Planet Zebes -> Brinstar come to mind - but I don't think any of the other stages were really redone to any extent. I guess Mushroom Kingdom (64) -> Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) is another one, but 64 let you enter the pipes, which Melee's didn't.

Personally, though, if I were to pick stages from 64 to come back, I'd go for Hyrule Castle, Peach's Castle and Saffron City - three stages that were fairly unique, even compared to the stages that came after, and haven't seen the limelight since their initial game. (I'm aware the first, at least, was in Project M...)

Really would like to see Mushroom Kingdom 2 come back, though. Dunno why, it wasn't especially remarkable, but I just loved that stage.

cednym

Banned
This is off topic, but I'm embarrassed that it took me until now to realize that Brawl doesn't even have "clones" -- in the four years that the game's been out, I've never bothered to take a detailed look at the characters' normal attacks. I went into training mode last night, and all of the shared attacks between Fox and Falco and Falcon and Ganondorf have their own slightly different animations. Yeah, it's old news, but I've gone this long thinking that those characters shared exact animations like in Melee because of the amount of whining I've encountered over the years. As insignificant as this all seems, I enjoy using Falco and Ganondorf more now knowing that their animations are "inspired by" other characters rather than pulled directly from them.

With regards to the whole "clone" thing, I tend to look more at what their overall move does than the animation therein. On that front, they're still pretty clone-y. I know the Dojo went into specifics about how they vary and all, but B still shoots a laser, down B still reflects, side B still does the move-twenty-feet-in-the-blink-of-an-eye move...

I know, I know, I'm shallow, but to be honest I never put much time into Fox as it was, so the subtleties between him, Falco and Wolf don't exactly register with me.

Boss Doggie

That's because you only use B moves and well, you use a shallow description on them.

Look, I can do that to Link and Samus. Both B's shoot chargeable projectile, Both side B's shoot alternate projectile with tilt mechanism, both Down B's are bombs, and both Up B's are spinning attacks.

:p

cednym

Banned
Now try Wolf and see how he's pretty much not a clone.

Yeah, I've always felt that he was unique. Lucas too. Falco, Ganondorf, and Toon Link used to register to me as Melee-esque clones where 95% of their move sets borrowed the exact animations from other characters, but that isn't the case.

I'd use Fox in one match and notice that his side tilt was a middle kick, for example, and then in the next fight I'd select Falco and see that he also had a middle kick, so I assumed that the animations themselves were identical. It wasn't until last night that I put them side by side and realized, yeah, Fox clearly served as the starting point for Falco, but the team took the time to give Falco's attacks their own subtle animation changes. On top of that, Falco has half a dozen or so entirely unique moves, so it's hard for me to consider him a "clone" anymore. It's similar to the change Luigi experienced when making the jump from 64 to Melee.

That's because you only use B moves and well, you use a shallow description on them.

Look, I can do that to Link and Samus. Both B's shoot chargeable projectile, Both side B's shoot alternate projectile with tilt mechanism, both Down B's are bombs, and both Up B's are spinning attacks.

:p
Okay, got to admit, I chuckled at that.

I was thinking this when looking at Xenoblade on Dolphin, if the Wii U was literally just the Wii but in HD, I would be completely happy. The fact that it's going to be even more than that is a bonus.
Except, according to Nintendo, old Wii games won't be getting upscaled. I kind of wish they'd at least offer us the option, but I understand they're going for compatibility first, niceties dead last.

cednym

Banned
It makes a lot of sense (to me, anyway) that Falco and Wolf are similar to Fox. Sakurai gave an interview during the 64 days where he stated that because they don't usually appear on foot in their games, Fox and Captain Falcon's move sets were built around the idea that the player was handling humanoid representations of the Star Fox and F-Zero series. Sakurai described Star Fox as being all about shooting lasers, deflecting/evading things, and going into hyperspeed, and he modeled Fox around the idea of "what if the Arwing itself was a character?". I think Falco and Wolf similarly play with that idea. Giving them totally unique move sets for the sake of it might break away from the Star Fox gameplay mold that Sakurai was aiming for.

On the other hand, that explanation doesn't quite work for Ganondorf, who isn't from the F-Zero series. Sakurai defined the F-Zero games as being about high speed, sharp turns, and explosions, and he carried that over into the design of Captain Falcon's move set.

This is certainly true for a few stages - Sector Z -> Corneria (although it kinda shrank in the transition) and Planet Zebes -> Brinstar come to mind - but I don't think any of the other stages were really redone to any extent. I guess Mushroom Kingdom (64) -> Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) is another one, but 64 let you enter the pipes, which Melee's didn't.

Personally, though, if I were to pick stages from 64 to come back, I'd go for Hyrule Castle, Peach's Castle and Saffron City - three stages that were fairly unique, even compared to the stages that came after, and haven't seen the limelight since their initial game. (I'm aware the first, at least, was in Project M...)

Really would like to see Mushroom Kingdom 2 come back, though. Dunno why, it wasn't especially remarkable, but I just loved that stage.

Also Dreamland(64) to Green Greens(Melee). Green Greens essentially took Dreamland's stage and expanded the concept more. I agree with your assessment of the 64 stages. Those are probably my favorite however I just felt that it'd be a bit redundant to have Princess Peach's Castle(Melee), Hyrule Temple(Melee), Peach's Castle(64) and Hyrule Castle(64) all to be available, under my 25 stage idea, and I found the Melee versions to be superior.

I'm not sure why I like Mushroom Kingdom 2 so much either. That's easily a personal favorite of mine. I hope they do a NEW Mushroom Kingdom as representation of the NSMB series instead of those scrolling stages. I don't really care for the one that showed up in Brawl personally.

Wait, people not adding Lylat Cruise? What gives! I consider it superior to Melee's Corneria!

I get most of your choices, but I've never met anyone who enjoyed Poke floats.
Yeah, let me update this. I thought I had typed in Lylat Cruise.

Returning Brawl stages: Delfino Plaza, Yoshi's Island, Bridge of Eldin, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Skyworld, Castle Siege, Wario Ware inc., Halberd, Summit, Luigi's Mansion, Green Hill Zone & Pirate Ship.

Returning Melee Stages: Hyrule Temple, Princess Peach's Castle, Corneria, Onett, Brinstar, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Pokemon Stadium, Big Blue, & Flat Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom