• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

I hate that this thread exists, but I simply can't resist...

I want customization to be taken to high gear in this game. I want stages to be customizable in several ways (and I don't mean custom stages). If it is a stage which shifts then allow players to pick what forms it can or can't take on. Allow players to turn off hazards or adjust their damage. Make platforms unbreakable when they normally could be. No reversing image stage Pokemon! Etc etc.

On top of this I want to be able to set non-explosive item boxes to any stage (including in the form of a Mario block, like you see in Mario themed levels) or specific item spawn rates at exact spots, basically turning the item game into a Quake-like system about map control. Maybe also item preferences tied to the player which decides what item he might get out of a box. Systems like that, alternatives to randomness.

I would also like it if every item had tiers of power. Weak bats which are only a little more powerful than regular specials and strong bats which are easy instant KOs, both with their unique skins (in this case likely based on Earthbound's item tiers). Would be a good fit for Pokeballs (Pokeball for a weak pool, Ultraball for a very strong pool, Masterball for full-retard final smash-like summons). So the idea would be that you'd have a lot of freedom on how powerful you want you items and how you would get them (if you wanted to inject more strategy into the game).

I also wouldn't mind alternatives to how one achieves Final Smash. Like "Super Meter mode /on". Then customize how one increases that Meter.

MisterHero

Pretty sure Pokemon Trainer used the new, shitty Ash voice.
Yeah. They should get the original VA back (at least for Pokemon Trainer renamed Ash), because their voice choice already implied it was him. It might be more complicated with the actual Pokemon since so many are involved in Smash, and when asking for the return of things like Saffron City.

They did it for Starfox 64, do it for Pokemon.

Riposte

If they rename Pokemon Trainer to Ash I'll be pissed. Call him Red or be done with it.

EDIT: Following up, they could also add a "currency" system where that customizable meter could be used to buy items somehow.

Shaffield

I would also like it if every item had tiers of power. Weak bats which are only a little more powerful than regular specials and strong bats which are easy instant KOs, both with their unique skins (in this case likely based on Earthbound's item tiers). Would be a good fit for Pokeballs (Pokeball for a weak pool, Ultraball for a very strong pool, Masterball for full-retard final smash-like summons). So the idea would be that you'd have a lot of freedom on how powerful you want you items and how you would get them (if you wanted to inject more strategy into the game).

Scaling the Pokeballs would be awesome, but I think I would prefer if the ball just showed up with a different skin (Great, Ultra, etc) based on the Pokemon inside, rather than just setting all the tiers as separate items.

Emitan

EDIT: Following up, they could also add a "currency" system where that customizable meter could be used to buy items somehow.

Let's say there are 3 levels of items. You could assign a different item to each third of the meter. Using your items levels ability where you pace it on the meter determines how powerful it is.

I want Ghirahim, Wolf Link + Midna (was a crime we didn't see them in SSSB) and Toon Ganondorf (completely new moveset, uses two swords).

But that's never going to happen. :(

Riposte

Scaling the Pokeballs would be awesome, but I think I would prefer if the ball just showed up with a different skin (Great, Ultra, etc) based on the Pokemon inside, rather than just setting all the tiers as separate items.

That's more or less what I mean. Also I forgot to mention this, but I would like to be able turn off individual Pokemon. (Fuck off Goldeen... who should be Magicarp anyway)

I also wonder about being able to know what Pokemon is in the Pokeball before you throw it(this allows for tactical use). Just showing a name floating over you sounds boring. What if upon grabbing the ball you hear the Pokemon's cry from the Wiimote? Sounds better.

I imagine the idea of allowing another player control the stage (projectiles, stage switches, item drops, etc) via WiiU controller has already been said?

Boney

Banned
It makes a lot of sense (to me, anyway) that Falco and Wolf are similar to Fox. Sakurai gave an interview during the 64 days where he stated that because they don't usually appear on foot in their games, Fox and Captain Falcon's move sets were built around the idea that the player was handling humanoid representations of the Star Fox and F-Zero series. Sakurai described Star Fox as being all about shooting lasers, deflecting/evading things, and going into hyperspeed, and he modeled Fox around the idea of "what if the Arwing itself was a character?". I think Falco and Wolf similarly play with that idea. Giving them totally unique move sets for the sake of it might break away from the Star Fox gameplay mold that Sakurai was aiming for.

Had never thought of the characters that way and it's a pretty great representation of them.

Love it.

I always thought instead of drastically expanding the character roster we could unlock alternative movesets or rather customizable ones. For example you could unlock the Tanooki leaf for Mario and replace it with your B-over if you wanted. Or Link could replace his Boomerang with a Whip, Samus' Missisles with an Ice Beam, Ganondorf weilds his trident, etc. However, I don't know how feasible this would be. I think it could be interesting but could be too hard to balance and everyone would figure out which characters are the cheap ones to use.

Just a thought, don't attack me Smash-GAF if it's a dumb idea.

cednym

Banned
I always thought instead of drastically expanding the character roster we could unlock alternative movesets or rather customizable ones. For example you could unlock the Tanooki leaf for Mario and replace it with your B-over if you wanted. Or Link could replace his Boomerang with a Whip, Samus' Missisles with an Ice Beam, Ganondorf weilds his trident, etc. However, I don't know how feasible this would be. I think it could be interesting but could be too hard to balance and everyone would figure out which characters are the cheap ones to use.

It's not dumb, but I wouldn't like being teased with the prospect of having to choose one attack over another for a whole match and then have to take the effort to keep changing things. I'd rather everything be available at the same time.

MisterHero

It's not dumb, but I wouldn't like being teased with the prospect of having to choose one attack over another for a whole match and then have to take the effort to keep changing things. I'd rather everything be available at the same time.
Raccoon Tail + Tanooki Suit + Super Cape + Wing Cap + Red Star + Bunny Ears + Lakitu's Cloud = Ultimate Flyng Mario Machine

Riposte

Sounds like it would work like Arcana Heart's Arcana.

Boney

Banned

I think it makes less sense in a pick up and play aspect, so I don't see this being in a console version, 3DS however makes sense in that regard, but I don't think it's very feasible.

Snakeyes

Those are probably my favorite however I just felt that it'd be a bit redundant to have Princess Peach's Castle(Melee), Hyrule Temple(Melee), Peach's Castle(64) and Hyrule Castle(64) all to be available, under my 25 stage idea, and I found the Melee versions to be superior.

Whaaat? Throwing people into tornadoes and using the bumper to get KOs was so much fun.

Thores

This is the direct opposite of a dumb idea, I've been having it myself for so long. There's the balance problem you mentioned, and just how much work it would take to make, but the extended development time hopefully means that if Sakurai wanted to he could pull something like this off.

Yeah, that may be a case of too many options thrown out and I definetly could see the issue. I've had plenty of games where I feel like I get overwhelmed with options and content. However, it completely depends on Nintendo's execution of said idea.

I think it makes less sense in a pick up and play aspect, so I don't see this being in a console version, 3DS however makes sense in that regard, but I don't think it's very feasible.

Maybe just two choices for standing B pop up when you make a choice in the character select screen.
Better yet, just two choices for smash ball moves.
I don't see it as being feasible however, I could see it as a way to tackle a few different things. #1 more fanservice for Nintendo fans, #2 alternate movesets so that people who complain about clones can have an option, and #3 instead of including throwaway characters that don't belong we can have something similar to getting new characters in terms of moveset.

I was thinking like how Sakurai did Kid Icarus. How there are tons of different weaponry and you constantly fuse and play to get better stats. In that regard I was thinking of allowing the player to pick up and play with any character they wanted however in a seperate menu/mode those hardcore players can fiddle around with different movesets and set them up for versus. I was also mainly just thinking about B Moves and possible Final Smashes.

edit: have to go to work so I won't be able to continue the conversation till later :(

Actually, that's not stupid ... it's along the lines of what I have been saying.

One of the VERY few things we know about this game is that there's gonna be some form of customization for the characters. Hell, Sakurai said something about building your character up on the 3DS and taking it to the WU to show off.

Now, I can only think of 4 ways customization can be used for characters in a game like Smash.
1- Cosmetic Customization. Appearances, alts, outfits and such.
2- Move-set customization. Like stances or w/e.
3- Stat customization. Buff and nerf stats until you find the combo you like best.
4- All of the above ... or any combination of the above.

Talked about this before and I could really see "customization" being a way to make "clones" that make sense by making the clone a simple alt that comes with move-set/ stat changes.

Spear Pillar is awesome unless Cresselia turns up, the cutter attacks are irritating.
I'm all up for Dialga and Palkia tricks though, one of the best gimmick stages when those two are involved, Dialga more so.

GamerSoul

Yep that dk stage sucked ass. The pillar brought some laughs so its all good. Gotta love it when it reverses right when your about to recover.

KingK

I hate that Mario Bros level. Worst shit ever.

My favorite new level from Brawl was probably just the Fire Emblem castle. Simple, changed up a bit, and it's from my favorite Nintendo franchise lol. Plus it had that Power Hungry Fool theme which was kickass

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Spear Pillar's upside down flip is bad when playing against the CPU because they are unaffected. Only stage hazard that puts you at a severe disadvantage to the computer.

Nintendogs assist also suffers from this.

I must be like the only person in the entire world who doesn't enjoy Pokemon music. There's like one or two tracks on the Brawl OST that I enjoy, and one of them is the Poke Floats track from Melee. <.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom