• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Castle Siege had so much music and I still set the operatic Fire Emblem theme at 90% chance of playing.

Mario Bros and 75m were lucky their main themes were so good, because the other options were pretty poor, especially 75m's.

They need more operatic songs for Smash U.

And jazz.

...imagine Super Mario 64's Koopa Road in operatic arrangement. That'd be orgasmic.
And yes for jazz. <3

I really hope they're not gonna get Uematsu again, Brawl's main theme was kinda meh. Tried far too hard to be epic. Doesn't help the theme is EVERYWHERE.

horrible person.

No soul. No. Soul.

The KI:U music was great, so here's hoping they get the same composers again.

For the 3DS version I hope they have characters more relevant to handhelds, but I'm guessing if they're emphasising WiiU/3DS compatibility the rosters will be the same.

In terms of that connectivity, I hope they have the option to use the 3DS as a controller.

MisterHero

I missed the kind of sound they used for Smash Bros 64.'s music

especially the ones for Metal Mario and Final Destination

Heropon

I hope Sakurai isn't afraid of putting new music in the old stages. Nature area would fit much better in Green Greens for example.

EDIT: Thinking about it, Halberd had too much music. I hope there are more Kirby stages next time.

Anth0ny

turning off items is barely playing smash bros

FGEOU.gif

Anth0ny

word

Battlefield can suck it, I want more SSB maps flippin and shit like Spear Pillar and Frigate Orpheon

Frigate is fine.

Frigate doesn't slow down time, reverse your controls, fuck up gravity, and randomly shoot huge ass beams at you. All we need now is the stage to come to life and unplug your controller.

Gravijah

Frigate is fine.

Frigate doesn't slow down time, reverse your controls, fuck up gravity, and randomly shoot huge ass beams at you. All we need now is the stage to come to life and unplug your controller.

reversed controls separates the men from the boys & the women from the girls.

MisterHero

Frigate is fine.

Shadow Moses Psycho Mantis Office Battle stage confirmed

KingK

The whole Brawl track is like auditory sex for anyone who's played like... more than one Nintendo game.

Yeah, definitely. The music in Brawl was ungodly. Easily one of the best game soundtracks ever.

Although, while I love Brawl's theme, I think I prefer the Melee theme + intro video. That might just be nostalgia speaking though.

Heropon

Or, just have another Kirby stage. That would have been nice...

I don't understand why people think that half cast of Kid Icarus is going to be playable when Sakurai couldn't give poor Kirby another stage ;-;

And I want a Golden Sun stage, if only for the music. And Xenoblade.

I don't understand why people think that half cast of Kid Icarus is going to be playable when Sakurai couldn't give poor Kirby another stage ;-;

Because people don't like listening to me when I keep saying to keep expectations low. It's fine though. Once the tears start pouring, I'll be there with plenty of buckets.

Anth0ny

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use that gif if YOU'RE the one who made a statement that requires its use.

Everyone knows the shitstorm begins as soon as someone mentions items. From past experience, shitting on stage hazards is fair game =P

But really, I could count the Brawl stages that I can't stand to play on one hand.

Spear Piller (fucked up stage hazards switch turned up to 11)
Rumble Falls (vertical scrolling is dumb)
New Pork City (way too big. Hyrule Temple should be the max size for stages)
The Ice Climbers Stage (ice is dumb)

My casual Smash buddies all agree these four are just unplayable. I'd be okay with them being removed in Smash 4.

NEVERTHELESS, they should be there because there are obviously people out there that do enjoy them. You hear me Sakurai?

Everyone knows the shitstorm begins as soon as someone mentions items. From past experience, shitting on stage hazards is fair game =P

But really, I could count the Brawl stages that I can't stand to play on one hand.

My casual Smash buddies all agree these four are just unplayable. I'd be okay with them being removed in Smash 4.

NEVERTHELESS, they should be there because there are obviously people out there that do enjoy them. You hear me Sakurai?

I agree with you on Rumble Falls and New Pork City, but I love me some Spear Pillar. I like Brawl's Ice Climbers stage because I like the things it does (even the part with the dumb fish), but not being able to grab the ledges is super dumb. That had to be some sort of oversight, because that legitimately fucks over at least 3 characters.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Spear Pillar is pretty fine as long as it's not Palkia. Cresselia is easy to dodge and Dialga is love.

Actually, that's not stupid ... it's along the lines of what I have been saying.

One of the VERY few things we know about this game is that there's gonna be some form of customization for the characters. Hell, Sakurai said something about building your character up on the 3DS and taking it to the WU to show off.

Now, I can only think of 4 ways customization can be used for characters in a game like Smash.
1- Cosmetic Customization. Appearances, alts, outfits and such.
2- Move-set customization. Like stances or w/e.
3- Stat customization. Buff and nerf stats until you find the combo you like best.
4- All of the above ... or any combination of the above.

Talked about this before and I could really see "customization" being a way to make "clones" that make sense by making the clone a simple alt that comes with move-set/ stat changes.
Yeah, I'm hoping there will be minimal stat customization. I could see them doing something similar to the bonus effects they used with the sticker system and Kid Icarus weapons.

Another thing I liked about my idea is that it would entice people to actually play the 3DS version and upload your character to use for the Wii U version.

And I want a Golden Sun stage, if only for the music. And Xenoblade.
Yeah, I don't know why either. I see Palutena and possibly Medusa. However, I'm 50-50 on Medusa.

Yeah, my disliked ones that I actively avoid are:

New Pork City (too big and way too much going on in the background.)
75 M (Big, Way too much stuff happening and the gimmicks are more of a hassle than fun)
Mushroomy Kingdom (Don't care for the sidescrolling)
Rumble Falls ( I don't mind playing it against other CPUs but against other human players it's usually more hassle than it's worth with people getting more pissed off than having fun).

The last three I suppose could be summarized by people that I played with just got too frustrated with the stuff going on in them. I enjoy the gimmick stages such as Wario Ware but I think those took it to a different level and there's no strategy or way too use it to your advantage. I liked Summit(the ice climbers stage) though.

NeonZ

Kind of a random idea, and isn't likely, but... Kid Icarus had a pretty enjoyable story, and part of it came from the constant banter between the gods. Now, something like that in a Smash Bros single player mode would be problematic due to many Nintendo franchises having mute characters... However, it'd have a big potential for in jokes and references.

So... what if the story mode created some original characters just for conversation during the stages? They could have some "gods" of sorts created just for Smash, but, rather than being random originals, they could directly represent the various franchises to do that banter for the characters who can't. So, in spite of Mario not participating in the banter, they could make a "god/goddess" of the Mario world, with his/her visual referencing various elements from the franchise, to banter with characters from other franchises who actually speak or other original god/goddess while you play through a Mario focused level, including some reaction shots and such of the mute characters once in a while.

This way, they also could give easy cameos to all the pantheon of the new Kid Icarus without actually making them playable or bosses or something, with Palutena officially representing "Kid Icarus" and the other gods popping up just because they feel like it.

Kind of a random idea, and isn't likely, but... Kid Icarus had a pretty enjoyable story, and part of it came from the constant banter between the gods. Now, something like that in a Smash Bros single player mode would be problematic due to many Nintendo franchises having mute characters... However, it'd have a big potential for in jokes and references.

So... what if the story mode created some original characters just for conversation during the stages? They could have some "gods" of sorts created just for Smash, but, rather than being random originals, they could directly represent the various franchises to do that banter for the characters who can't. So, in spite of Mario not participating in the banter, they could make a "god/goddess" of the Mario world, with his/her visual referencing various elements from the franchise, to banter with characters from other franchises who actually speak or other original god/goddess while you play through a Mario focused level, including some reaction shots and such of the mute characters once in a while.

This way, they also could give easy cameos to all the pantheon of the new Kid Icarus without actually making them playable or bosses or something, with Palutena officially representing "Kid Icarus" and the other gods popping up just because they feel like it.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to make up characters for that. Mario has many characters that could fill that roll.

I don't think it'd be well suited. Simply because that kind of humor could work for Mario, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, and maybe even Pikmin but it'd be completely out of place for franchises like Metroid and Fire Emblem.

With that said they could have NPCs narrate or interact on a different level such as Fawful, Waluigi, Slippy, Peppy, Louie, Hades, Viridi, Pyrhon, Professor Oak, Tingle, Koume & Kotake, Tom Nook, etc. banter with each other about the player or the story. I think there are easily a lot of side characters from various Nintendo games that could be used to make pretty good banter if they were used to play a role similar to the Gods in Icarus.

McNum

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to make up characters for that. Mario has many characters that could fill that roll.
Rosalina would fit right in. If she's not playable, of course.

There's always the announcer, of course. Get him a partner who can do blow-by-blow like in Madworld, and you might have something. More games should have Madworld style commentary. Perhaps with less swearing.

It could get old after a while, though, but even Kid Icarus Uprising has an option to turn the dialogue off. Now, why you would do that, is another thing, but it's there.

GamerSoul

Yeah, definitely. The music in Brawl was ungodly. Easily one of the best game soundtracks ever.

Although, while I love Brawl's theme, I think I prefer the Melee theme + intro video. That might just be nostalgia speaking though.

Truth. Still one of the best intros ever. The original medley track off of the smashing live ost is amazing.

Because people don't like listening to me when I keep saying to keep expectations low. It's fine though. Once the tears start pouring, I'll be there with plenty of buckets.

:( but i wants all my ideas in..
Ill be happy with Isaac, mac, and syrup. Maybe lyn too.

That was one of my favorites, Brinstar Depths was good too.

Brinstar Depths is probably one of my favorite stages when it comes to visuals due to me being a big Metroid fanboy, but I seriously hate playing on it. Just about the only two stages in Melee that I'd pick Brinstar Depths before are Big Blue and Flat Zone.

And maybe Temple if I'm not in the mood for it.

McNum

I don't think it'd be well suited. Simply because that kind of humor could work for Mario, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, and maybe even Pikmin but it'd be completely out of place for franchises like Metroid and Fire Emblem.

With that said they could have NPCs narrate or interact on a different level such as Fawful, Waluigi, Slippy, Peppy, Louie, Hades, Viridi, Pyrhon, Professor Oak, Tingle, Koume & Kotake, Tom Nook, etc. banter with each other about the player or the story. I think there are easily a lot of side characters from various Nintendo games that could be used to make pretty good banter if they were used to play a role similar to the Gods in Icarus.
Pyrrhon for Smash Bros Commentator! I am not even joking. Having Pyrrhon commentate on the matches would be so awesome.

At the very least, if there's a Kid Icarus Uprising stage, they could have different gods appear in the background and mock or praise the fighting. Especially if Pit was there. Extra points if Pit is wearing the Dark Pit recolor and the gods notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom