• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it'd be well suited. Simply because that kind of humor could work for Mario, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, and maybe even Pikmin but it'd be completely out of place for franchises like Metroid and Fire Emblem.

With that said they could have NPCs narrate or interact on a different level such as Fawful, Waluigi, Slippy, Peppy, Louie, Hades, Viridi, Pyrhon, Professor Oak, Tingle, Koume & Kotake, Tom Nook, etc. banter with each other about the player or the story. I think there are easily a lot of side characters from various Nintendo games that could be used to make pretty good banter if they were used to play a role similar to the Gods in Icarus.

Adding on the story could be like a Hunger Games type thing. Where the Master Hand plucked characters all together and set them in a giant arena area to battle and compete against each other. However, it also works like a TV show with Hosts and guests appearing to provide recaps, make commentary and also help the player while playing(like Kid Icarus). If they got a lot of quirky, funny and fan favorites that have no chance of being playable(such as the ones I listed above) it could be interesting.

NeonZ

I don't think it'd be well suited. Simply because that kind of humor could work for Mario, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, and maybe even Pikmin but it'd be completely out of place for franchises like Metroid and Fire Emblem.

That's part of the reason I think original characters for commentators could work. I mean, even if the secondary characters speak, I can't see an actual Metroid character participating in that kind of banter.

Even with Mario, someone like Waluigi has never gotten full voiced lines and Rosalina at this point just seems too serious to work with something like that. Now, it probably won't happen, but even if it doesn't, I wonder if Sakurai will attempt something else to avoid a "silent" story here again.

Adding on the story could be like a Hunger Games type thing. Where the Master Hand plucked characters all together and set them in a giant arena area to battle and compete against each other.
So Super Smash Bros. 64, then?

I missed the kind of sound they used for Smash Bros 64.'s music

especially the ones for Metal Mario and Final Destination
Mmm, yes, I do hope Smash 64's Final Destination tune gets some love this time around. Mildly surprised they went for a remix of the credits theme instead, considering Melee's Final Destination was ALREADY a remix of the SSB64 credits theme...

GamerSoul

Im not too crazy about the commentating idea, i kinda like the silence. But you did give me the idea of having more crowd involvement in multiplayer. Like booing evil characters and spammers or something, but it would have to be done in low frequencies.

Anth0ny

Im not too crazy about the commentating idea, i kinda like the silence. But you did give me the idea of having more crowd involvement in multiplayer. Like booing evil characters and spammers or something, but it would have to be done in low frequencies.

Booing spammers would be hilarious.

Azure J

I am SO down for audience/crowd mechanics in this series. Like you don't know how bad I wanna hear/see some of it just because the potential is endless.

Booing spammers would be hilarious.

Pictochat stage would look like a JTV chat without the kappa.

w00tkins

aww mah gawd I can't wait to see all the new Kid Icarus things they'll add to the game.

And I haven't even played Uprising yet!

aww mah gawd I can't wait to see all the new Kid Icarus things they'll add to the game.

And I haven't even played Uprising yet!
I'm in the same boat.

Well, okay, I did buy Uprising (mostly compelled by no longer having to avoid all the spoiler tags in this thread), but I've only played Chapter 1.

Zampano

So I've still not played Brawl. Is it worth picking up? Online community still going strong? I don't really have any gamer friends to play local :(

SmithnCo

So I've still not played Brawl. Is it worth picking up? Online community still going strong? I don't really have any gamer friends to play local :(

There's still people playing online but it's not necessarily a pleasant experience. You have to wait forever to get into a match, even more now probably.

Always irritated me that they said coming up with a moveset for the Animal Crossing guy was difficult. They managed to make one for Captain Falcon, but not him? He has a whole range of tools and weapons. If they're worried about making him seem violent, he constantly falls down holes and gets stung by bees.

I'd advise against it. Brawl probably has the worst netcode of any online game ever. 2-second input delay and horrid framerate drops when I play against my friend who lives 10 minutes away. What the fuck, Nintendo.

GamerSoul

Always irritated me that they said coming up with a moveset for the Animal Crossing guy was difficult. They managed to make one for Captain Falcon, but not him? He has a whole range of tools and weapons. If they're worried about making him seem violent, he constantly falls down holes and gets stung by bees.

I remember hearing it is more about the nature of the Animal Crossing games the moveset potential for its characters. I never played those games but Tom Nook looks pretty cool.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well one theory is that Captain Falcon is just a reskin of a Dragon King fighter.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We need a scene of Mario talking, in a mix of his Mario Advance catchphrases ("Just what I needed", "HA HA" "Okay Dokay") and Mario and Luigi gobbledegook, to Snake, who had perfect speech. Yet some how they understand each other. Then Link joins in with "Haah HAAH HUUURAH: and no one bats an eyelid.

Hadesrenderw.png

Hades
I love this guy. His voice, the way he looks. He'd be a great assist trophy, and you can bet Sakurai will put him in.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Is it against the rules if I want this and PS All-Stars to both be awesome? Will no doubt make both games better/try harder.

Is it against the rules if I want this and PS All-Stars to both be awesome? Will no doubt make both games better/try harder.

Well actually what I see PS All-Stars as is something to keep us occupied before the next SSB comes out. Because let's face it, that will be a good few years.

The fact All-Stars will be announced and released within the same year means it has one thing over SSB.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thank God I finished Kid Icarus earlier this week.

Guess the no spoiler policy has been thrown out the window.

tapedeck

Well actually what I see PS All-Stars as is something to keep us occupied before the next SSB comes out. Because let's face it, that will be a good few years.

The fact All-Stars will be announced and released within the same year means it has one thing over SSB.
Yeah I guess we shouldnt expect Smash WiiU anytime soon but I still think if Sony has success with their version it will inspire healthy competition for Smash whenever it does come out.

Yeah I guess we shouldnt expect Smash WiiU anytime soon but I still think if Sony has success with their version it will inspire healthy competition for Smash whenever it does come out.

I wouldn't say that; one of the reasons people buy SSB is because of the rich, diverse range of Nintendo characters.

tapedeck

I wouldn't say that; one of the reasons people buy SSB is because of the rich, diverse range of Nintendo characters.
I think youre missing my point, Im not talking about potential sales for the next Smash Bros. (its gonna sell regardless). Im just saying I think the game will benefit from some outside competition.

I think youre missing my point, Im not talking about potential sales for the next Smash Bros. (its gonna sell regardless). Im just saying I think the game will benefit from some outside competition.

Maybe, I don't see a heavily SSB "inspired" game as viable competition. Sakurai is probably laughing right now.

But don't tell people in the All-Star thread I said that. Their feelings might get hurt.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Wii has a cool factor detector. If it deems you cool enough (like me) you'll get chants every match. If not you'll have to hope the very complicated formula works in your favour.

It's very complicated. It takes into account number of attacks, number of hits, number of falls, number of laughs Sakurai has performed in the last five minutes. Really you should just hope for the best.

The Wii has a cool factor detector. If it deems you cool enough (like me) you'll get chants every match. If not you'll have to hope the very complicated formula works in your favour.

It's very complicated. It takes into account number of attacks, number of hits, number of falls, number of laughs Sakurai has performed in the last five minutes. Really you should just hope for the best.

applause_meter2a.jpg

Subaru

tumblr_m35xodheVw1qjytyfo1_500.png

Well, for the next Smash Bros. that's one thing that I'm absolutely sure: there will be more characters from Kid Icarus - Medusa, Maybe?

About the Stages, I wish they could put all stages on the game. You know, stages on SSB is something like a character, they influence so much in the gameplay that they make all fights differents. That said, It would be awesome if we have TONS of stage, even if half of them is from the past.

Well, for the next Smash Bros. that's one thing that I'm absolutely sure: there will be more characters from Kid Icarus - Medusa, Maybe?

About the Stages, I wish they could put all stages on the game. You know, stages on SSB is something like a character, they influence so much in the gameplay that they make all fights differents. That said, It would be awesome if we have TONS of stage, even if half of them is from the past.
I don't think it's guarantee, punch out was rebooted and lil Mac was a support.
So many others, KI movement seems alot like the ones who said Kat was going to be in brawl :/

Jezan

I don't understand why people think that half cast of Kid Icarus is going to be playable when Sakurai couldn't give poor Kirby another stage ;-;

And I want a Golden Sun stage, if only for the music. And Xenoblade.
Oh please Golden Sun, Saturos Battle and Venus Light house and..... /sigh

I don't think it's guarantee, punch out was rebooted and lil Mac was a support.
So many others, KI movement seems alot like the ones who said Kat was going to be in brawl :/

Well the main difference there is the Punch Out!! reboot came out more than a year after Brawl, and Sakurai himself worked on Uprising and was very heavily invested in creating new characters for it.

Jezan

hopefully luigi get his 2 people crowd cheer again XD
That's what I didn't like in Melee or Brawl, the crowd is...just not there, in 64 you would be hearing them every 2 seconds, and it was fun, but now it's the same boy and girl cheering everyone , traitors!!! :p

Randomly stumbled across some of the "omg leaked characters!" vids while trying to get a PS All-stars blabla trailer for a friend. Laughing so hard at those. My favorite gotta be this one, though - "leaked character sketches" with art that is obviously traced from different official art, by someone who has the drawing abilities of a 5-year-old. Obviously official art from Nintendo!

Who the hell is Kat?

I assume he means one of the 2 ninja girl sisters from WarioWare, Kat and Ana, who also were Assist Trophies in Brawl.
KatAna.jpg

Randomly stumbled across some of the "omg leaked characters!" vids while trying to get a PS All-stars blabla trailer for a friend. Laughing so hard at those. My favorite gotta be this one, though - "leaked character sketches" with art that is obviously traced from different official art, by someone who has the drawing abilities of a 5-year-old. Obviously official art from Nintendo!

What the hell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom