• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would assume the skins would be whatever Miis are loaded on your system.

I really hope to see Shulk, even if 'guy with a sword' is kinda overused. (Though in Smash it's pretty much Link and the FE guys)

Lets face it, Sony All-Stars will be full of guys with guns. At least swords are a little more traditional.

Not played XC, but Shulk looks pretty unique compared to Fire Emblem guys.

OH and I'm guessing Marth/Ike will be replaced by whatever FE characters appear in Awakening.

Probably this guy.
Fire-Emblem-Awakening.jpg

I'm assuming he'll go retro again, actually. It would have to be a character that was pivotal for Nintendo's early career but has since been forgotten. Any ideas?

People have brought up Diskun before, the mascot of the Famicom Disc system, but that one is not only obscure but also pretty hard to turn into a fighter of any sort. Honestly, the Mii is the only choice for a non-game mascot that would work as a fighter.

With that said, I would love the N64 controller be a playable character, lol. It even has been done before! Or maybe the Powerglove as smaller, playable Master Hand?

OH and I'm guessing Marth/Ike will be replaced by whatever FE characters appear in Awakening.

Marth will never be replaced, he's the first Fire Emblem lord.

Jintor

Lets face it, Sony All-Stars will be full of guys with guns. At least swords are a little more traditional.

I really can't get over how blah almost all the characters for that look so far. I dunno, their franchises have always struck me as more 'setting' franchises than character-based franchises. That's why all their levels sound fucking amazing (the mash-up stuff particularly).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
They should have Shiggy, Iwata and Reggie as playable characters.
Better yet, Yamauchi. His powers would be whipping third parties into shape and claiming RPGs are for antisocial nerds.
Damn right :3
Whatever you say, obachaa.
I don't know, at least R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch had a face.
That game looks awful.
I think Ike will be Roy'd. I'd assume the combo will be Marth plus whoever the fuck the new guy is, per usual.

I actually have to agree that it looks awful, just from a visual standpoint... they really fucked up the model designs for Parappa and Fat Princess. Possibly Sly Cooper as well, but I didn't get a close enough look at him.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Powerglove was made by Mattel not Nintendo!

Really I hope the trophies actually have some pre gaming Nintendo items like the ones I posted above. Wario Ware and Pikmin make reference to them and they wouldn't have to worry about overlap with the Melee and Brawl trophies.

Talking of the N64 controller they should make a system fighter. N64 controllers for hands, GameCube for a body, SNES and NES for feet etc. That would be an awesome final unlock.

Talking of the N64 controller they should make a system fighter. N64 controllers for hands, GameCube for a body, SNES and NES for feet etc. That would be an awesome final unlock.

Haha, that would be pretty amazing, I do have to say. Don't forget a Virtual Boy as head and maybe a Game Boy as part of the torso, and have him use a DS stylus as sword.

I also want to have a Tetris block as character. L-Block 4ever.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I actually have to agree that it looks awful, just from a visual standpoint... they really fucked up the model designs for Parappa and Fat Princess. Possibly Sly Cooper as well, but I didn't get a close enough look at him.
Is Sly cel-shaded? My biggest disappointment with Brawl was that Toon Link had the same texture work as the rest of the cast.
I think Nintendo can do something better than just aping Sega's ideas.

NeonZ

Marth will never be replaced, he's the first Fire Emblem lord.

Marth also seems to appear in most of the Fire Emblem Awakening DLC maps and is very important to the game's background. It'd be silly to keep him in Brawl and remove him now.

Ike might be replaced, but I'm not even sure about that. Although Krom's design resembles Ike in some ways, his animations are completely different, so he'll need a new moveset anyway, especially considering how, although he has an ability called "Aether", it's nothing like Ike's visually, which means it'd be an entirely different attack in this game.

One thing that I would like to see them doing would be to implement "Masked Marth" from Awakening as an alternate costume for Marth. They'd need Awakening's VA too, but otherwise it should be easily doable, especially if they give Marth his Awakening redesign.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One thing that I would like to see them doing would be to implement "Masked Marth" from Awakening as an alternate costume for Marth. They'd need Awakening's VA too, but otherwise it should be easily doable, especially if they give Marth his Awakening redesign.

He just looked like Marth with a mask on so that would be two blue Marth costumes. People need to remember that the whole point of the outfits is so you can tell the characters apart of maps like Hyrule Temple and New Pork City.

KevinCow

Banned
Once again I repeat. Calling Wolf a clone is incredibly dumb.

This is such a stupid argument.

No, Wolf isn't a direct clone of Fox in the way Melee Falco was, but he's still very clearly designed from the same mold and they probably could've been a bit more creative with him. He's like Sakura, or Gouken: yeah, their specials act differently, and they have different normals, but they're still designed from the Shoto mold. If they were gonna spend the time designing and animating a new character I'd have rather gotten something completely distinct.

Same thing with Lucas. Different normals, and his specials act differently, but they could've been much more creative with him. And I think I really need to highlight that last part: the issue people have isn't that we think these characters play identically, it's that they could've been much more creative with them. Earthbound has tons of PSI moves they could've drawn from, and they could've easily come up with some new sci-fi weapons or looked to Star Fox Assault for Wolf's moves, but they didn't.

NeonZ

He just looked like Marth with a mask on so that would be two blue Marth costumes. People need to remember that the whole point of the outfits is so you can tell the characters apart of maps like Hyrule Temple and New Pork City.

Marth already has two blue colors though, one is just lighter than the other. They could move one of them to Masked, keep the other with Marth, and then the other colors are all made up anyway, so they could easily look different in those.

This is such a stupid argument.

Clone means exactly the same, or pretty much identical. It implies the character plays exactly the same save for a few minor differences - which the clones in Melee actually did.

There's a lot worse offenders out there than Wolf or Lucas, which I consider similar, but not clones, in the same way Luigi is definitely not a clone of Mario (anymore), or in the same way that, as you mention, Dan or Gouken or Akuma aren't clones of Ryu. They are shotos, yes, i.e. have a similar base going from each other, although I would argue that Wolf doesn't even have that; his moves attack in an entirely different stance than Fox's, who is more generic martial arts based, while Wolf uses a feral style of movement/attacks.

I'm not saying they could not have been made more distinct, or that it's a bad mindset, but saying Wolf is a clone of Fox is dumb.

Neiteio

RE: Kid Icarus Uprising being the highest budget adventure game out of Nintendo in recent years: I don't know that definitively, but certainly relative to what may as well be a new IP, the fact it has hours and hours of dialogue with top-tier talent, and far more extensive use of orchestral music and renowned composers than, say, Skyward Sword, and given that ALL copies of the game (not just a collector's edition) come with a bundled-in stand, and given that there are 400+ AR cards, and that Nintendo commissioned three prominent anime studios for promotional shorts, and a slick CGI commercial that actually got notable airtime (versus nothing I saw for SS, the next high-budget contender), and given it's a shooter yet has a campaign that's effectively three games in one, and even has the special game case with reversible cover and windows on the interior, a first for North America... Given all of this, Nintendo budgeted a great deal on this game, especially in light of the fact there were no guarantee of returns.

RE: The size of Kid Icarus gods: They're human-sized. See Palutena at the end of the original Kid Icarus; see her when she's with Pit in person in the anime, or standing next to him at various points in the game (chapters
). Often when the gods appear as giants in the sky, they're semi-transparent projections; other times, they're shape-shifting at will. They can appear anywhere within their realm, and at any size; there's enough context to show us this much. None of the gods would be a problem, if scale were ever a consideration for Sakurai in the first place (again, quarter-sized Olimar).

RE: Palutena's importance at the moment: She -is- one of the biggest Nintendo characters right now. She's the co-star of Kid Icarus Uprising, which is the Nintendo game generating the most buzz at the moment. She's cemented her status as an important and beloved Nintendo character. When all is said and done this year, she'll be a key face associated with Nintendo's output in 2012.

I do quite like the idea of Pit, Palutena, Medusa and
Hades
, though that leaves out
Viridi
, and it's plain to see she's quite popular with the fans, and certainly she's equally valid. (
Reset Bomb Final Smash, anyone?
)

I've been a big supporter of Ridley since way back, but... more and more lately I've been thinking that Dark Samus would be a better choice. It would represent the Prime series, provide another villain and be a lot easier to put in the game, honestly. Although Ridley is a legacy villain, so who knows what Sakurai will do. I mean when he wanted another Metroid representative, he skipped Ridley, Dark Samus, and all of the hunters and added another version of Samus...

Dark Samus is the worst character of the whole series in characterisation. And it would be a fucking Samus clone, I dont want it not even a mile near Super Smash Bros.

MisterHero

I'm assuming he'll go retro again, actually. It would have to be a character that was pivotal for Nintendo's early career but has since been forgotten. Any ideas?
Popeye!! He was the foundation for Mario anyways. Now that I think about it, Wario eating garlic to become Warioman is probably a Popeye homage.

Disney was one of Nintendo's earliest foreign partners in the 60s. Mickey should join!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No, Wolf isn't a direct clone of Fox in the way Melee Falco was, but he's still very clearly designed from the same mold and they probably could've been a bit more creative with him. He's like Sakura, or Gouken: yeah, their specials act differently, and they have different normals, but they're still designed from the Shoto mold. If they were gonna spend the time designing and animating a new character I'd have rather gotten something completely distinct

Nononono. The shotokans in SF generally have a tendency to share even normal moves. If anything the comparison I made before is more apt - if Fox is Ryu then Wolf is Robert Garcia.

Neiteio

RE: Dark Samus: The only real problem is the uninspired name, and perhaps the form factor: with alternate colors, it may blur the line between him and Samus. But otherwise, their moves and even style of movement would be quite different. For one, Dark Samus jets around with what could be described as "levitating lunges." Another key difference is the use of Phazon, with Dark Samus spraying it all scattershot, a "machine gun" compared to Samus' canon. Certainly the importance is there, as the antagonist of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, and as the manifestation of Metroid Prime itself (see MP1's ending, where the dying Metroid Prime assimilates the Phazon Suit to come back for revenge). But... All of this being said... Something about the character's name and general appearance makes it hard to shake the feeling Dark Samus would be passed up.

MisterHero

Yeah, what the hell! Wind Waker style with TP textures? Looked weird as fuck.
I was going to say they aren't going to modify the graphics engine to allow for one character, but Game & Watch Kirby is cel-shaded

Maybe they just didn't want him to stick out so much. Many of the characters that had 2D games are/used to be technically cel-shaded too (Yoshi in Yoshi's Island is a great example).

RE: Dark Samus: The only real problem is the uninspired name, and perhaps the form factor: with alternate colors, it may blur the line between him and Samus. But otherwise, their moves and even style of movement would be quite different. For one, Dark Samus jets around with what could be described as "levitating lunges." Another key difference is the use of Phazon, with Dark Samus spraying it all scattershot, a "machine gun" compared to Samus' canon. Certainly the importance is there, as the antagonist of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, and as the manifestation of Metroid Prime itself (see MP1's ending, where the dying Metroid Prime assimilates the Phazon Suit to come back for revenge). But... All of this being said... Something about the character's name and general appearance makes it hard to shake the feeling Dark Samus would be passed up.
Those awesome MamaRobotnik threads make me want Dark Samus even more. We'd be lucky just to get Ridley though :(.

KevinCow

Banned
Dark Samus could pretty easily be made to work and not be a Samus clone. She could float like Mewtwo and use Phazon-based attacks.

Ridley's definitely preferable, but if Sakurai is absolutely insistent that Ridley could never work and is not an option, then... well, he's wrong, but I wouldn't mind getting Dark Samus. As long as we get another Metroid character who isn't Zero Suit Samus.

Of course, even with the potential for a unique move set, she'd probably still turn out a clone or pseudo-clone.

Boss Doggie

Anyway I feel bored.

Platoon (Adam Malkovich + Anthony Higgs)

This absurd team of a character pretty much mimics Ice Climbers because I have weird fantasies. Depending on the color scheme you control either Adam or Anthony but 1P is Adam.

B - Frag Grenade: sorta like Snake except it explodes into multiple pellets which deal damage.
Side B - Ice Shot: fires an ice shot which can freeze enemy.
Up B - Emergency Maneuvers: P1 (Adam) boosts P2 (Anthony) upward who is carrying a cord which then pulls P1 at a higher distance. If P1 grabs a ledge or lands, P2 gets pulled with him. If only P1 is on screen, he will only do a jump.
Down B - Standing Maneuvers: When on ground, P1 (Adam) commands P2 (Anthony) to stay in position. P2 will still mimic P1's attacks. Down B again to cancel and have P2 follow you again. When done in mid-air, they instead fire a strong blast diagonally downward behind them to force them to travel a short distance diagonally upward.
Final Smash - Last Resort: call the rest of the 7th platoon to appear as you lock and load. Mix of assault rifles, shot guns, rockets, freeze shots, laser beams and energy bursts are fired. Essentially a glorified Triple Finish.

Actually, if we want obscure, there's that "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" game... although it'd probably end up being another sword user (just based on the first ten minutes of the game, really), and the main character evidently doesn't have a real name (that I can tell), but eh.

Or if we want to go REALLY obscure, the weird low-poly stick-figure dudes from the Smash 64 prototype, Dragon King: The Fighting Game, shown off in volume 7 of the Brawl Iwata Asks. Keep the exact low-poly models and everything. :p

If they replace Ike with whoever is in the new FE, I'll be pissed. Ike is so cool and awesome and strong and has the coolest final smash. ~*~*~Ike~*~*~

I think they should add the Animal Crossing dude in it. He can use the slingshot, fishing rod as grab/recovery, watering can, throw beehives, etc. His final smash can be the UFO.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Actually, if we want obscure, there's that "For the Frog the Bell Tolls" game... although it'd probably end up being another sword user (just based on the first ten minutes of the game, really), and the main character evidently doesn't have a real name (that I can tell), but eh.

Or if we want to go REALLY obscure, the weird low-poly stick-figure dudes from the Smash 64 prototype, Dragon King: The Fighting Game, shown off in volume 7 of the Brawl Iwata Asks. Keep the exact low-poly models and everything. :p

I thought his name was Richard, or at least that's the name he goes by in his cameo appearance in Link's Awakening.

Also pretty sure Captain Falcon is basically the old Dragon King fighter reskinned. His N64 model looks very similar and it helps explain how he got in.

cednym

Banned
Also pretty sure Captain Falcon is basically the old Dragon King fighter reskinned. His N64 model looks very similar and it helps explain how he got in.

You might want to compare the models again if you think that's the case, and his inclusion doesn't need much "explaining," anyway. F-Zero is an EAD franchise, and F-Zero X was in development at the same time as the first Smash Bros.

Neiteio

Anyway I feel bored.

Platoon (Adam Malkovich + Anthony Higgs)

This absurd team of a character pretty much mimics Ice Climbers because I have weird fantasies. Depending on the color scheme you control either Adam or Anthony but 1P is Adam.

B - Frag Grenade: sorta like Snake except it explodes into multiple pellets which deal damage.
Side B - Ice Shot: fires an ice shot which can freeze enemy.
Up B - Emergency Maneuvers: P1 (Adam) boosts P2 (Anthony) upward who is carrying a cord which then pulls P1 at a higher distance. If P1 grabs a ledge or lands, P2 gets pulled with him. If only P1 is on screen, he will only do a jump.
Down B - Standing Maneuvers: When on ground, P1 (Adam) commands P2 (Anthony) to stay in position. P2 will still mimic P1's attacks. Down B again to cancel and have P2 follow you again. When done in mid-air, they instead fire a strong blast diagonally downward behind them to force them to travel a short distance diagonally upward.
Final Smash - Last Resort: call the rest of the 7th platoon to appear as you lock and load. Mix of assault rifles, shot guns, rockets, freeze shots, laser beams and energy bursts are fired. Essentially a glorified Triple Finish.
Platoon... That's an interesting idea. The thing that makes it hardest to imagine is an Ice Climber-style pair that are normal height. But certainly, it seems like it could work. Do you think there's enough love for these characters among people who played Other M? (I didn't play due to Samus' voice acting and writing.)

Could you please describe your idea more? Like what it would look like in action? Which character is the Popo, so to speak? How closely does the Nana follow? If they get separated, is their attack power or recovery ability halved in some way? (I guess recovery would then be gimped since the cord move wouldn't work.)

I suggested a character earlier, called Townsfolk, to represent Animal Crossing. It would be a gaggle of animal villagers, all controlled at once (thinking moving a mass of Pikmin in Pikmin), and could include a human villager as the lead. The villagers could be randomly selected, or individually selected by scrolling through alternate skins on each of them like you do switching Wario's skin from 'Ware to Classic. Since they're all about the same body shape, Sakurai would just have to conceive one set of animations, and graft the same attacks to all of them: essentially a mob attacking with fishing rods, shovels, bug nets and more. Again: TOWNSFOLK.

I think it would be cool. <3 I'm also starting to want Dark Samus and Platoon now!

GamerSoul

You know, I'm a bit sad there's no Custom Robo love in here.

I always forget about Custom Robo. Playing as a full-sized Ray MK would be very awesome though. He probably has one of the coolest mech designs I've seen from Nintendo.

I can't find the topic right now, but what do you guys think about the chances for any content appearance from the alledged operation rainfall games? It could be an AT, playable character, etc, anything. A problem that could arise, imo, is the fact that they could potentially be old news by the time Smash 4 comes out.

Kurtofan

I heard a lot about Xenoblade but next to nothing about those TLS and Pandora's tower, are those good games?

Does Nintendo own the Layton franchise?

I thought his name was Richard, or at least that's the name he goes by in his cameo appearance in Link's Awakening.
As did I. Then I watched the video and found out that Richard is actually your friendly-ish rival, and you play as a separate, player-named prince.

To be fair, we know pretty much nothing about how they played. Maybe they all actually played like Fox. :p

I heard a lot about Xenoblade but next to nothing about those TLS and Pandora's tower, are those good games?

Does Nintendo own the Layton franchise?

Xenoblade is the best JRPG of the generation. The Last Story kinda pales in comparison, but it's supposed to be very solid nonetheless, and probably Mistwalker's best.

Pandora's Tower is something I haven't seen any GAF impressions for, but I've seen plenty of 6/10s.

I always forget about Custom Robo. Playing as a full-sized Ray MK would be very awesome though. He probably has one of the coolest mech designs I've seen from Nintendo.

I can't find the topic right now, but what do you guys think about the chances for any content appearance from the alledged operation rainfall games? It could be an AT, playable character, etc, anything. A problem that could arise, imo, is the fact that they could potentially be old news by the time Smash 4 comes out.

Final Smash = Rainstorm.

GamerSoul

At best, Shulk as an Assist Trophy and stickers/collectibles for the other two.

Most likely, I was initially under the impression that we may get another series like FE really introduced and promoted to us but in reality those games have no real history and can easily be one and done's.

Boss Doggie

Platoon... That's an interesting idea. The thing that makes it hardest to imagine is an Ice Climber-style pair that are normal height. But certainly, it seems like it could work. Do you think there's enough love for these characters among people who played Other M? (I didn't play due to Samus' voice acting and writing.)

Could you please describe your idea more? Like what it would look like in action? Which character is the Popo, so to speak? How closely does the Nana follow? If they get separated, is their attack power or recovery ability halved in some way? (I guess recovery would then be gimped since the cord move wouldn't work.)

I suggested a character earlier, called Townsfolk, to represent Animal Crossing. It would be a gaggle of animal villagers, all controlled at once (thinking moving a mass of Pikmin in Pikmin), and could include a human villager as the lead. The villagers could be randomly selected, or individually selected by scrolling through alternate skins on each of them like you do switching Wario's skin from 'Ware to Classic. Since they're all about the same body shape, Sakurai would just have to conceive one set of animations, and graft the same attacks to all of them: essentially a mob attacking with fishing rods, shovels, bug nets and more. Again: TOWNSFOLK.

I think it would be cool. <3 I'm also starting to want Dark Samus and Platoon now!

Like I said, the "lead" or Popo is Adam and the follower or Nana is Anthony. I called them platoon since well, they're the Seventh Platoon, and Adam and Anthony are standout characters Samus aside. Essentially the idea is a more flexible version of Popo and Nana. They pretty much function like Ice Climbers when separated (albeit IIRC Ice Climbers will perform the same attack even when separated, but the AI will try to get near the lead character).

Besides, can't get over of REMEMBAH ME

rememberme7xuko.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom