• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything from Other M is in this game I will fucking set things on fire.

Instead let's make Adam a character like Pokemon Trainer. Where Adam is in the background commanding Samus to do things.

I remember I signed up for a Brawl tournament playing as Samus, before I'd even played Brawl. I assume it'd be similar to Melee.

OH GOD SAMUS WHY.
My two mains/favorites in Melee were Zelda/Sheik and Samus. Imagine how I felt when I moved to Brawl :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I remember I signed up for a Brawl tournament playing as Samus, before I'd even played Brawl. I assume it'd be similar to Melee.

OH GOD SAMUS WHY.

To be fair, Zero Suit Samus is pretty much her best incarnation yet, but it's still subpar compared to other fighters.

Instead let's make Adam a character like Pokemon Trainer. Where Adam is in the background commanding Samus to do things.

My two mains/favorites in Melee were Zelda/Sheik and Samus. Imagine how I felt when I moved to Brawl :(

Hahahaha nice!

And wut - Zelda got upgraded in Brawl! But then again Shiek became crappier.

To be fair, Zero Suit Samus is pretty much her best incarnation yet, but it's still subpar compared to other fighters.

Hahahaha nice!

And wut - Zelda got upgraded in Brawl! But then again Shiek became crappier.

Zero suit Samus is pretty decent. It's just a shame you can only switch between the two with a final smash.

Zelda was upgraded but Sheik was nerfed and they made the transformation between the two incredibly long.

GamerSoul

Alright, that made me lmao becuase I can picture that. And I main Peach so that down smash nerf made it very hard to use her for me.

i want to play as zelda but she is never fun to play as. they should really change her moveset.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. She gets very dull. All you end up doing is trying to hit her F/B air out of boredom.

GamerSoul

Wait, you're not allowed to use ZSS by default?

You had to hold down one of the blocking triggers, R or L on the GC controller, on the select screen. If you did it right you should see ZSS's little head icon when you get to the stage select screen.She'll automatically lose her armor at the start of the battle which can be used as projectiles.

You could technically go from Samus > Zero Suit Samus whenever you want, but it was a pain in the butt to do and really not something you should try in an actual match. You couldn't do the reverse though.

KevinCow

Banned
You could technically go from Samus > Zero Suit Samus whenever you want, but it was a pain in the butt to do and really not something you should try in an actual match. You couldn't do the reverse though.

What? Unless there's some secret code I don't know about, I'm pretty sure the only way to transform once you're in a match is with the Final Smash.

GamerSoul

Oh yea that too almost forgot about that. You had to like taunt repeatedly, I MEAN like mashing left and right, and it randomly broke off her armor.

Boss Doggie

You had to hold down one of the blocking triggers, R or L on the GC controller, on the select screen. If you did it right you should see ZSS's little head icon when you get to the stage select screen.She'll automatically lose her armor at the start of the battle which can be used as projectiles.

I know that, and you can also do a series of taunts so you can change without the FSmash. I was asking if tourney play prevents something like that because of that post.

I assume all Smash players knew that :p

Alright, that made me lmao becuase I can picture that. And I main Peach so that down smash nerf made it very hard to use her for me.
Yeah for whatever reason Sakurai's method of balancing seems to be to take slightly overpowered characters and completely nerf them.

Wait, you're not allowed to use ZSS by default?
You can by some random button combinations that is never stated in game anywhere. However, I was more commenting that Samus/ZSS could be a really good character if you could switch between the two during a match like Zelda/sheik.

GamerSoul

I know that, and you can also do a series of taunts so you can change without the FSmash. I was asking if tourney play prevents something like that because of that post.

Oh, I'm not exactly sure then.

Yeah for whatever reason Sakurai's method of balancing seems to be to take slightly overpowered characters and completely nerf them.

You can by some random button combinations that is never stated in game anywhere. However, I was more commenting that Samus/ZSS could be a really good character if you could switch between the two during a match like Zelda/sheik.

True. His methods are not the best but I'm looking forward to a nerfed Olimar, DDD, Diddy, and MetaKnight. heh.

You bring up an interesting point. I'm pretty sure Samus in her actual games can remove her suit at will. It just so happens her areas of travel are very hostile so it wouldn't make sense to unarm herself. I guess you can see Smash as an hostile environment.

KevinCow

Banned

Or to take characters who were like mid-tier to begin with and nerfing them even further, like Samus or Ness.

I hate how he seems reluctant in some ways to make some characters or moves too powerful, and as a result, everyone winds up feeling kinda weak. Like, a Falcon Punch or a fully charged DK punch? That shit should destroy. But they've kinda become a joke in Brawl.

I think it's fun when every character has something that makes you say, "Holy shit, that's completely broken!" the first time you see it, but isn't actually completely broken once you learn more about the game. I want them to buff the hell out of everyone for the next Smash.

Especially in the case of Mario, Link, and Samus. I feel like, if any characters should be a bit more powerful than the rest, it should be them. They're the Big Three. Instead, it seems like they try to make them too balanced, so they wind up too average and land in the mid- or even low-tier range.

Neiteio

Luckily for you people complaining about over/under-powered characters, Sakurai said in an interview he won't be balancing the new Smash Bros. himself; rather, in a change of pace he's letting the rest of his team handle it. Apparently he used to balance it all himself. I guess with more minds/tastes involved, the game balance might arrive at something closer to ideal. And then there's always the fact Nintendo is patching games now, which should help a great deal going forward.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Especially in the case of Mario, Link, and Samus. I feel like, if any characters should be a bit more powerful than the rest, it should be them. They're the Big Three. Instead, it seems like they try to make them too balanced, so they wind up too average and land in the mid- or even low-tier range.
I imagine that the reason they aren't overtly powerful is because of their notoriety. They are the characters the average player is going to gravitate towards, so in Sakurai's mind there's no reason to hand out the big guns to the newbies. They should be the ones that are the easiest to control for him, so the risk/reward factor should be lower.

Kurtofan

Besides, can't get over of REMEMBAH ME

rememberme7xuko.gif

I hope that guy gets a trophy.

So no answer about Professor Layton?Is it a Nintendo series?

Xenoblade is the best JRPG of the generation. The Last Story kinda pales in comparison, but it's supposed to be very solid nonetheless, and probably Mistwalker's best.

Pandora's Tower is something I haven't seen any GAF impressions for, but I've seen plenty of 6/10s.

Thanks.

They're not the big 3.

Mario, Pikachu and Link are the big 3. (They're called the "big 3" because they're the 3 biggest series for Nintendo. Which is also why they have had the most characters so far).

The big 4 includes Kirby.

... Hell, that's how the Brawl Trailer starts out. Mario, Pikachu, Link and Kirby getting upgraded.

As for Neiteio, I really think you're over-estimating the budget KI had along with Palutena's importance to Nintendo as a whole right now. :/
Sure, KI is good and successful ... but I'm sure that it got it's massive push because it's the first big 3DS title that they could pass off as a new IP to people. I bet that by the end of the year they will be pushing something else just as hard for the WiiU.
I'm sure we would have heard something about it's massive production budget had it been as expensive as you seem to think it is.

guek

Banned
Luckily for you people complaining about over/under-powered characters, Sakurai said in an interview he won't be balancing the new Smash Bros. himself; rather, in a change of pace he's letting the rest of his team handle it. Apparently he used to balance it all himself. I guess with more minds/tastes involved, the game balance might arrive at something closer to ideal. And then there's always the fact Nintendo is patching games now, which should help a great deal going forward.

Hmm that's good to hear.

I just hope they embrace the tournament scene completely in the next smash bros. Melee became a tournament darling seemingly by accident, and they really didn't run with that very much at all in brawl. Something I'd personally love is for an online tournament mode where you can enter a tournament bracket with random people (or friends) online and see who wins it all. You could continue to spectate after losing or drop out to find another match. Do it Sakurai!!

So no answer about Professor Layton?Is it a Nintendo series?

It's owned by level 5 so no, but i'm sure Nintendo published the games in Europe and they've had great success over here so a third party spot isn't entirely out of the question, still pretty unlikely though.

Neiteio

It's owned by level 5 so no, but i'm sure Nintendo published the games in Europe and they've had great success over here so a third party spot isn't entirely out of the question, still pretty unlikely though.
I'm not saying it is or isn't likely, but let's just be humble and bear in mind: Motherfucking Solid Snake was in Brawl.

And Black-Wind:

- Three animes by three premiere studios
- CGI TV spot with high airtime
- Bundled-in stand
- 400+ AR cards
- Dozens of top-tier voice actors
- Hours of dialogue
- Hours of orchestral music
- Five of Japan's best composers
- Special cases in NA
- Special box

That all costs money. KIU was a huge budget game by Nintendo standards. Absolutely. And it was Sakurai's game, to boot.

I'm not saying it is or isn't likely, but let's just be humble and bear in mind: Motherfucking Solid Snake was in Brawl.

I guess with Layton the whole non violent thing comes into play which doesn't do him any favours, granted he's partaken in sword play, creates flying machines from furniture and is surprisingly competent when faced with danger or villainy.

Alrus

I guess with Layton the whole non violent thing comes into play which doesn't do him any favours, granted he's partaken in sword play, creates flying machines from furniture and is surprisingly competent when faced with danger or villainy.

Well he made a machine gun out of a slot machine and has been shown fighting more than once. I don't really see where the "non-violent" thing comes from. He could easily work in smash bros, though I don't think he'd be a particularly interesting character...

Neiteio

Because Sakurai and Kojima are BFFs.
I know, but you get my point: in our nerdery, we always point to past precedents like they mean much, only to be surprised when things change. This not only applies to fans of Smash, but of games in general. Pokemon fans, for example, attack the guy who suggests maybe Black 2 and White 2 will introduce new Pokemon, when they would've been just as quick to attack someone for suggesting the possibility of numbered sequels mere months before. (I don't think there'll be new Pokemon, but you get my point.) Things change. No one ever expected Snake, but there he was, tossing a box aside. Really, when it comes to third-party characters, anyone is possible.

Well he made a machine gun out of a slot machine and has been shown fighting more than once. I don't really see where the "non-violent" thing comes from. He could easily work in smash bros, though I don't think he'd be a particularly interesting character...

Oh yeah, I forgot about the gun. It's not so much that I don't think he could work, it's more that Layton would fall into the Animal Crossing predicament, that is if they planned to use the series at all.

Boss Doggie

I know, but you get my point: in our nerdery, we always point to past precedents like they mean much, only to be surprised when things change. This not only applies to fans of Smash, but of games in general. Pokemon fans, for example, attack the guy who suggests maybe Black 2 and White 2 will introduce new Pokemon, when they would've been just as quick to attack someone for suggesting the possibility of numbered sequels mere months before. (I don't think there'll be new Pokemon, but you get my point.) Things change. No one ever expected Snake, but there he was, tossing a box aside. Really, when it comes to third-party characters, anyone is possible.

Oh I do agree anything is possible, I just point out explanations and such lol

Oh yea that too almost forgot about that. You had to like taunt repeatedly, I MEAN like mashing left and right, and it randomly broke off her armor.
Up and down, not left/right.

It's perfectly legal in tournaments. It's just that nobody does it because you would have to use regular Samus. :p

... Hell, that's how the Brawl Trailer starts out. Mario, Pikachu, Link and Kirby getting upgraded.

Actually, I remember that at least shortly after Brawl's release, Donkey Kong was the fourth after the Big 3 in terms of sales. That's probably not true anymore and things likely have shifted around, but Kirby was only somewhere in the Top 10 (I think he was fifth or sixth, with the Touch! Generations games taking the other slot).

even with the right buttons I occasionally had times where she refused to drop the damn suit, nothing like sitting in the corner taunting for like 30 seconds hoping no one comes over to wallop you.

So preferably if I wanted to use ZSS i'd just do the technique that changes you before the match but I did like that they allowed you to switch with the taunt button mash mid match.

IIRC noone ever pulled off the taunt change in tournament (and it would be silly to start with Samus over Zero Suit since the Power Suit is really shitty in Brawl), but it's allowed to do it, and in fact if someone would ever do that in a tournament match, I think it'd be just mad hype, lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Talking of DK, I hope they reveal the veterans much quicker this time. I am assuming that the dojo will return seeing as Sakurai has done one for each game.

I thought that was the crap load times of Brawl? As in Sheik isn't stored in RAM :(

That is correct. If you have changed once, the switching actually goes on swiftly, because then it's stored in RAM.

Zelda was upgraded but Sheik was nerfed and they made the transformation between the two incredibly long.

Actually, Zelda is utter garbage in both games. The only saving grace for Brawl Zelda is that she does decent against characters with chaingrabs because she's kinda floaty is generally kinda hard to grab. However, her best move is still Down B, and since her Sheik is worse than Melee's, that makes her overall worse. :p

KingK

OH GOD SAMUS WHY.

Haha, yeah. Samus was my favorite in Melee. Went to a midnight launch for Brawl where they had a tournament and I played as Samus...It wasn't a good idea lol.

Gravijah

Actually, Zelda is utter garbage in both games. The only saving grace for Brawl Zelda is that she does decent against characters with chaingrabs because she's kinda floaty is generally kinda hard to grab. However, her best move is still Down B, and since her Sheik is worse than Melee's, that makes her overall worse. :p

and who would want to be sheik over zelda? :/

KevinCow

Banned
They're not the big 3.

Mario, Pikachu and Link are the big 3. (They're called the "big 3" because they're the 3 biggest series for Nintendo. Which is also why they have had the most characters so far).

I knew someone would argue this. But I'm not talking about in terms of sales.

I'm talking about, when the Gamecube came out, the Big Four upcoming releases were Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Smash

And when the Wii came out, the Big Four upcoming releases were Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Smash.

And I would bet money that when we get a real, full Wii U reveal, you know what the highlights are probably gonna be? Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Smash.

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Smash are the four franchises Nintendo goes to when they want to show something off. Kirby and Pokemon probably sell better than Metroid (hell, Pokemon probably sells better than Zelda), but Kirby usually comes later in the game, and Pokemon kinda does its own thing on handhelds.

Talking of DK, I hope they reveal the veterans much quicker this time. I am assuming that the dojo will return seeing as Sakurai has done one for each game.

I still don't get why he took forever to post Meta Knight up. We already knew he was in the game.

Anustart

Anyone here a huge fan of BtT? In melee I almost exclusively played Break the Targets, but Brawl bored me since it had the same 5 stages shared by everyone :/

In melee I managed to bring my combined time down to 3:37.xx but never put much effort into Brawls for the above mentioned reason. I sincerely hope Smash 4 brings back individual stages for each character :/

I still don't get why he took forever to post Meta Knight up. We already knew he was in the game.

I think he preferred to show things that weren't known yet before detailing Meta Knight, because he was one of the newcomers and he sprinkled those in every now and then.

Anyone here a huge fan of BtT? In melee I almost exclusively played Break the Targets, but Brawl bored me since it had the same 5 stages shared by everyone :/

In melee I managed to bring my combined time down to 3:37.xx but never put much effort into Brawls for the above mentioned reason. I sincerely hope Smash 4 brings back individual stages for each character :/

+1

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

BtT in Melee was great. Made for some fantastic youtube videos.

Fou-Lu

BtT was amazing in Melee. I recently went back and played melee and it just feels so much better than Brawl and I liked the stages a lot more. Don't get me wrong I like Brawl, but playing Melee again may have ruined it for me.

Anth0ny

Yup. They got lazy with BtT in Brawl.

I want board the platforms back too.

cednym

Banned
I knew someone would argue this. But I'm not talking about in terms of sales.

I'm talking about, when the Gamecube came out, the Big Four upcoming releases were Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Smash

And when the Wii came out, the Big Four upcoming releases were Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Smash.

And I would bet money that when we get a real, full Wii U reveal, you know what the highlights are probably gonna be? Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Smash.

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Smash are the four franchises Nintendo goes to when they want to show something off. Kirby and Pokemon probably sell better than Metroid (hell, Pokemon probably sells better than Zelda), but Kirby usually comes later in the game, and Pokemon kinda does its own thing on handhelds.

None of this makes any sense. Pokémon doesn't count because it's on a handheld...? Kirby isn't a big release because it "comes later in the game"? What?

By any metric (sales, popularity, whatever), Nintendo's "big three" will always be Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda, followed by things like Donkey Kong and Kirby. Metroid definitely isn't obscure, but it's not top three or top four material.

Anth0ny

By any metric (sales, popularity, whatever), Nintendo's "big three" will always be Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda, followed by things like Donkey Kong and Kirby. Metroid definitely isn't obscure, but it's not top three or top four material.

I'd argue Smash has taken Zelda's spot as one of Nintendo's big three, if it counts. Melee and Brawl have outsold every Zelda since OOT. It's definitely on a higher level than Donkey Kong and Kirby at this point.

Mario and Pokemon still kill it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom