• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

I will say my knowledge of Brawl is strongly based on its earliest years. However taken at face value, I still say Melee had better balance. There certainly more than 5 playable characters. 10 good ones is enough for me in a better, more focused game, which is my point.

Ugh, tier discussion.

I guess actually talking about characters is offensive to you? Sorry if I find that much more interesting in the fan-fiction everyone in this thread is collectively writing. After three months the crossover bonanza is going to get stale and that's probably going to happen quicker with every new iteration of the series.

Up B to FLY!

Smokeweedeveryday.wav

I hated Bowser's side-b in Brawl. Gimme back the Melee version.

Fun to troll with, if nothing else.

NeonZ

How about they make Pokemon Trainer good first, before we start talking about changing his Pokemon or adding another one.

I think making Pkm's trainer unique point a disadvantage was a pretty silly decision. There should be an actual advantage to changing Pokemon compared to other characters, not a disadvantage that the mechanic imposes on the trainers. Maybe his Pokemon could have limited HP recover for the first time you summon a Pokemon during a certain stock? It'd incentive the swap mechanic and give him an advantage to make mastering 3 movesets worth it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What's a Pokemon Generation Design Bias (tm) post doing here?

I I guess actually talking about characters is offensive to you? Sorry if I find that much more interesting in the fan-fiction everyone in this thread is collectively writing. After three months the crossover bonanza is going to get stale and that's probably going to happen quicker with every new iteration of the series.

It's more on that the discussion is repetitive and circular - I have similar disdain for clones, which one should be in, Geno, etc. I find sharing (fantasy) ideas much more interesting rather than same-old, same-old talks of stuff that has been talked about since the first page.

We really need a Smash Thread Cycle image.

KevinCow

Banned
What if Pokemon Trainer played like an MvC character, where you could summon the other two Pokemon to do an assist? Like you tap down B for the assist, and hold down B to swap. Throw down Charizard to breathe some fire and edge guard while you jump out and fight, stuff like that.

Yeah, that's not how the rules work in Pokemon, but screw it, it would be a neat mechanic that would make the three-characters-in-one thing actually matter.

Dr.Hadji

I would've liked it more if I had more control over it, but no matter what the percentages were, it always seemed to go in a random direction for me AND my opponent.

If that is the case then.... I hate to say it but "You're doing it wrong". Shorter stages like Battlefield are perfect for the move. One grab in the center at decent damage becomes a great mix up. Am I going left or right. Guess wrong can get wrecked.

How about they make Pokemon Trainer good first, before we start talking about changing his Pokemon or adding another one.

I main Squirtle, as his incredible speed and crazy knockback make him a real pain to play against, but they really nees to buff Ivysaur and Charizard or at least remove the "switch upon being KO'd" mechanic so that I'm not totally screwed every time I die.

If that is the case then.... I hate to say it but "You're doing it wrong". Shorter stages like Battlefield are perfect for the move. One grab in the center at decent damage becomes a great mix up. Am I going left or right. Guess wrong can get wrecked.
I meant that no matter what direction me or my opponent were holding. There were a few times we both held right, and we careened to the left. Either way, I love the Melee version of the move better.

KevinCow

Banned
I hope they give DK a decent side B. I've thought since Melee that it should just be a barrel throw. It seems so obvious. Barrels and DK's tendency to chuck them at things he does not like are the most constant things throughout that character's history.

They could have fun with it, too. Most of the time it would be a wooden barrel, but sometimes it could be a TNT barrel that explodes on impact or a faster moving steel barrel or a more bouncy spring.

Vidiot

Random question, but does anyone think the third party characters that get into PlayStation Allstars could affect the ones that might show up in this? Like if Snake or Sonic were to be in Allstars would Nintendo care?This also goes for third party characters that weren't in Brawl but might end up in the next Smash too.

McNum

I hope they give DK a decent side B. I've thought since Melee that it should just be a barrel throw. It seems so obvious. Barrels and DK's tendency to chuck them at things he does not like are the most constant things throughout that character's history.

They could have fun with it, too. Most of the time it would be a wooden barrel, but sometimes it could be a TNT barrel that explodes on impact or a faster moving steel barrel or a more bouncy spring.
I actually can't remember what DK's current Side-B is... Neutral is the windup punch, up is the spin, and down is slapping the ground. What does forward do again?

And yeah, DK should get the barrels. Just like Peach has her turnips, DK should get to throw barrels. The steel one should simply be tough to break. Hit a wall, and it goes the other way. And of course, a proper original Donkey Kong stage set up just so DK can roll a barrel from the top to the bottom.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Random question, but does anyone think the third party characters that get into PlayStation Allstars could affect the ones that might show up in this? Like if Snake or Sonic were to be in Allstars would Nintendo care?This also goes for third party characters that weren't in Brawl but might end up in the next Smash too.

I have a feeling that Snake's chances of inclusion in All Stars will entirely be based on whether they can prove they can make him as good or better than his Brawl incarnation. More pressure on them. They've already given his final smash to another character.

Nintendo probably won't care about Snake and Sonic since they are returning characters so the can't be accused of copying. They will probably want new third party representatives to be unique to Brawl, but I don't think they would have difficulty in finding unique characters.

I actually can't remember what DK's current Side-B is... Neutral is the windup punch, up is the spin, and down is slapping the ground. What does forward do again?
A headbutt that pummels an opponent into the ground.

And yeah, DK should get the barrels. Just like Peach has her turnips, DK should get to throw barrels. The steel one should simply be tough to break. Hit a wall, and it goes the other way. And of course, a proper original Donkey Kong stage set up just so DK can roll a barrel from the top to the bottom.

It does the headbutt but i'd much prefer the barrel idea.
Like Dedede's forward b it could have multiple types, you've mentioned the steel kegs, lets add TNT barrels as the "Gordo" equivalent

Actually, the balancing in Brawl is significantly better than in Melee, whether it was intentional or not.

In Melee, there's about 5 viable characters, everything else is mid or low tier and can't really compete (of course there's the occasional outraging victory of a mid or low tier, but Brawl has those too).

In Brawl, there's 1 OP character (who was banned), then there's a fucking HUGE high tier, a fucking HUGE mid tier, and a few more low tier characters. All the characters save for the low tiers are pretty viable and Brawl has a big amount of variety, thusly being better balanced.

The best balancing in the series was in 64, where every character was completely viable, including the low tiers.

I'd just like to point out to those new to competitive smash that this guy does not know what he is talking about and you shouldn't take this post seriously.

That is all.

Hero

It'd be hilarious if Snake appearing in Smash Bros had some kind of exclusive agreement so PASBR couldn't use him and had to settle for Raiden instead.

ffdgh

I've been thinking, could the smash series benefit from the addition of forward and back air dashes if implemented correctly?

udivision

I've been thinking, could the smash series benefit from the addition of forward and back air dashes if implemented correctly?
What do you mean exactly?

On that note, what if Smash added a third attack button?

It's main use would be cancelling A moves into "X" moves which would offer small combos if used correctly.

SmithnCo

If SSB4 has more combo potential, air dashes could be fun if you could incorporate them into combos. They might want to keep it simple though. Maybe air dodges that give you more boost to be like dashes.

KevinCow

Banned
There's a lot I feel like they could add or change to the aerial stuff to make aerial combat way better and deeper.

- No fall state. Instead of going into a helpless fall state after doing a recovery move, just have some moves that can only be used once until you land or get hit.

- Air shielding. The games have progressively given you better defensive capabilities in the air, just go all the way and give you the same defensive capabilities as you have on the ground.

- Melee style air dodging. Hold shield and smash in a direction to do an air dodge in that direction. Like a recovery move, this can only be used once until you get hit or land.

- Air tilts and smashes. Like defense, give the player the same offensive capabilities in air as you have on the ground. Have two options for each direction instead of just one.

- Air grabs. Even more options in the air.

I think these things would change the way the game plays a lot, but for the better.

Anth0ny

There's a lot I feel like they could add or change to the aerial stuff to make aerial combat way better and deeper.

- No fall state. Instead of going into a helpless fall state after doing a recovery move, just have some moves that can only be used once until you land or get hit.

- Air shielding. The games have progressively given you better defensive capabilities in the air, just go all the way and give you the same defensive capabilities as you have on the ground.

- Melee style air dodging. Hold shield and smash in a direction to do an air dodge in that direction. Like a recovery move, this can only be used once until you get hit or land.

- Air tilts and smashes. Like defense, give the player the same offensive capabilities in air as you have on the ground. Have two options for each direction instead of just one.

I think these things would change the way the game plays a lot, but for the better.

Assuming Smash 4 will have a whole new engine, I'm hoping for changes akin to Smash 64 -> Melee as opposed to Melee -> Brawl.

A bunch of additional to aerial combat would be really cool.

In terms of old characters, I just want one goddamn change, and that's to my main, Samus: make her bombs blow up on contact again. That was my whole game thrown away there! :-(

udivision

Air grabbing would have to be balanced well for it to not be broken.
-No pummeling
-Short duration of you holding the person before they break out
-Down throws don't really spike, just make you jump up
-Maybe you can't air grab someone in the hit state? Or they'd have to be wary of potential chains.

KevinCow

Banned
Something that would be a neat addition to Samus:

When you press diagonally down while standing, as you would to crawl with any crawling character, you turn into a morph ball. Unlike crawling characters, you don't need to hold down to remain a morph ball, but instead return to normal by shielding. In this form, press A to lay bombs, hold B to charge a boost, and you can still jump - but not double jump. If you take damage, you're knocked back to normal.

SmithnCo

Something that would be a neat addition to Samus:

When you press diagonally down while standing, as you would to crawl with any crawling character, you turn into a morph ball. Unlike crawling characters, you don't need to hold down to remain a morph ball, but instead return to normal by shielding. In this form, press A to lay bombs, hold B to charge a boost, and you can still jump - but not double jump. If you take damage, you're knocked back to normal.

I'm surprised they didn't do this in Brawl, with the advent of crawling.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
700? Ha! You're thinking too small. They need one for every location, character, item, system, staff member, favourite dishes of those staff members, their parents, their hometowns, countries of the world, planets, religious icons. The works.

And a kitchen sink.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if they're gonna use moe Zelda in Smash U.

zelda.jpg

I'm surprised they didn't do this in Brawl, with the advent of crawling.

Hilariously enough ZSS can crawl.

Moe Zelda and Impa can be a clone of Zelda/Shiek to keep both parties happy, or a costume swap but whatever happens i'm in for some Skyward Sword Zelda design.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wonder if we will get Skyward Sword Ganondorth just like Twilight Princess Sheik.

Or maybe the designs will be based off of 3DS Zelda ho ho.

Dr.Hadji

Heck no to those two. Brawl's air dodge system accomplishes better air defense part. Besides landing and some very specific situations direction air dodging isn't missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom