• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Surprised no one has posted this yet. A user has tweeted Sakurai requesting Geno,Issac, and Mega Man. Sakurai actually replied with what translates to "2 out of 3".

Here's a link to the blog post

Geno please<3

I'm not sure if that's legit. Smash fans aren't exactly above stuff like that.

Also no Geno please. The less Geno there is, the better.

The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

It's true though. It helps that his Japanese VA is tolerable.

Same reason with Tingle being well loved in Japan too.

I dunno, having space pirates speak differently than Samus would also fuck up their best characterization, the journal entries in Prime.
I always assumed she was translating those into her language. The space pirates in the entire trilogy never spoke the same language as samus it was all just roars and growls.

McNum

I always assumed she was translating those into her language. The space pirates in the entire trilogy never spoke the same language as samus it was all just roars and growls.
The Power Suit can translate ancient writings in a dead language in about as much time as it takes for it to say "Recorded to logbook". I'm sure it can handle realtime translation of Space Pirate language. It would be something that would be smart for Samus to have installed, even if it didn't come as standard.

The Power Suit can translate ancient writings in a dead language in about as much time as it takes for it to say "Recorded to logbook". I'm sure it can handle realtime translation of Space Pirate language. It would be something that would be smart for Samus to have installed, even if it didn't come as standard.
You would've thought but I think retro still wanted to give off the all alone vibe. Technology should be capable of translating on the spot but it would take away from the atmosphere and the plot would start to fall apart if samus and space pirates could speak to each other.

KevinCow

Banned
He didn't make it into Melee simply because Nintendo then hadn't even considered the option of putting in non first-party characters. Chances are if Hideo Kojima hadn't asked about getting Snake into Melee (though he was too late), we likely wouldn't have had any third-party characters in Brawl at all. After all, Sakurai has said that they never approached other developers for their characters; they waited to be approached.

The proximity mine and cloaking devices may have been nods to Rare (I think Rare were even credited for one or both of them in Melee's credits), but there's a big difference between relatively generic items and playable characters.

Nintendo published and heavily promoted the Banjo series throughout the N64's life. I'd hardly call him a third-party character in the same way that Snake and Sonic were. In a world where MS never bought Rare and the relationship between Rare and Nintendo sayed the same as it was during the SNES/N64 era, but Kojima never introduced the concept of third-party to Sakurai, Banjo still would've been a shoe-in for Brawl.

Nintendo actually owned the Banjo Kazooie series though. As in, if they'd felt like it (and at this point I kind of wish they had), they could have kept the franchise when Rare went to Microsoft. I think what made BK special as opposed to Conker/Killer Instinct/Perfect Dark/etc. was the original game was specifically pitched to Nintendo as a new character-driven IP they'd own.

With the other stuff Nintendo had a stake in the related franchises yet served more as a publisher/distributor. Somebody can feel free to elaborate/correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I swear at least for the first few years of the series' existence BK was an IP Nintendo had the complete rights to.

Nintendo published and heavily promoted the Banjo series throughout the N64's life. I'd hardly call him a third-party character in the same way that Snake and Sonic were. In a world where MS never bought Rare and the relationship between Rare and Nintendo sayed the same as it was during the SNES/N64 era, but Kojima never introduced the concept of third-party to Sakurai, Banjo still would've been a shoe-in for Brawl.

I don't understand what you're trying to argue, because it doesn't contradict anything I said. I never said Banjo was a third-party character (he was a second-party character), and I specifically said Banjo would have been first in line for Brawl had Microsoft not bought Rare.

That post you quoted was in response to somebody saying Banjo should have been in Melee.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't understand what you're trying to argue, because it doesn't contradict anything I said. I never said Banjo was a third-party character (he was a second-party character), and I specifically said Banjo would have been first in line for Brawl had Microsoft not bought Rare.

That post you quoted was in response to somebody saying Banjo should have been in Melee.

I was arguing against the "Nintendo hadn't considered putting in non-first-party characters" line.

For all intents and purposes, Banjo was a first-party character before the MS sale. Maybe he didn't get into Melee because they knew Rare's future and Nintendo's claim on Banjo were in limbo, maybe because he'd only had one game when it started development, maybe he just didn't make the cut (the only non-clone characters he really even could have taken the place of were Ice Climbers or G&W; everyone else is pretty much necessary, and those two had unique gimmicks).

It wasn't because they hadn't yet considered the option of putting in non-first-party characters.

I was arguing against the "Nintendo hadn't considered putting in non-first-party characters" line.

For all intents and purposes, Banjo was a first-party character before the MS sale. Maybe he didn't get into Melee because they knew Rare's future and Nintendo's claim on Banjo were in limbo, maybe because he'd only had one game when it started development, maybe he just didn't make the cut (the only non-clone characters he really even could have taken the place of were Ice Climbers or G&W; everyone else is pretty much necessary, and those two had unique gimmicks).

It wasn't because they hadn't yet considered the option of putting in non-first-party characters.

Banjo was second party, to be fair. However, Pokemon is second party, and they've been featured in all three games, so second party isn't an issue. Like I said before, Diddy and Banjo most likely would have been in Melee if there wasn't any buyout concerns.

Gravijah

pokemon situation is complicated. from what i understand, nintendo essentially own 2/3rds of pokemon (since creatures own 1/3rd, and they are a nintendo subsidiary) but the main games are developed by a third party.

pokemon situation is complicated. from what i understand, nintendo essentially own 2/3rds of pokemon (since creatures own 1/3rd, and they are a nintendo subsidiary) but the main games are developed by a third party.

This is correct. If I'm not mistaken, GameFreak requested Lucario to be in Smash, so they have their say in what happens in terms of content :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think it might be photoshopped but I know who is the guy who twittered, and his friend who got involved.

Look at the photo

oGhal.png

If Sakurai actually replied, then the word, "expand" shouldn't be there. It should have "View conversation."

cednym

Banned
It's definitely fake. Sakurai has never deleted a tweet before, and that's not even how "two out of three" is traditionally expressed in Japanese. That looks like a Google translation.

Also I find it hard to believe Sakurai would tweet something spoilerish like that in the first place.
And more obviously only delusional Geno fans would go to such lengths to try and confirm him being in the game.

SmithnCo

Also I find it hard to believe Sakurai would tweet something spoilerish like that in the first place.
And more obviously only delusional Geno fans would go to such lengths to try and confirm him being in the game.

Yeah, no way he would do that.

Also Geno is terrible so it would be Isaac and Mega Man anyway. :p

Second-party. But basically this, yeah. Nintendo I think are pretty much free to use Pokemon whenever they want, course.

Yeah I think it's fake. It should indeed say View Conversation. Also, it doesn't make sense that he would only respond to that tweet and not tweet anything else since the 24th.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hello, Cookie_Aroma from GameFAQS here. I'm surprised nobody else has debunked this Twitter post yet. The person who made up this tweet made one little mistake (actually two as Yani pointed out). Take a look at the screen capture that the person who saw the tweet took:

http://i.imgur.com/oGhal.png

Let's compare that to Sakurai's Twitter page now:

http://i.imgur.com/5sTHX.jpg

Do you see it yet? See the Tweets count in the upper-right-hand corner? It reads "8807 Tweets" for both images. This is the problem. The tweet with the 2 of 3 message should say 8808 tweets if it was actually legitimate. That coupled with the fact that the only witnesses to this tweet were 2 people from the same board (And as Yani pointed out, the tweet says expand instead of view conversation), I'm positive this is a fake.

This kind of thing is actually very easy to photoshop (or gimp in my case). See?

http://i.imgur.com/0yVQc.jpg

(From Smashboard)

The Lamp

Almost 160 pages on a game that might not even be in actual development yet, with a fake twitter screen being the hottest news on this game thus far. I'm amazed.

Also, Krystal is undoubtedly better than Slippy because she has a magical staff.

cednym

Banned
I hate the Smash Cycle, but I've changed my tune on Ridley. So yeah.

I've always agreed with the "they shrunk Bowser, so they can shrink Ridley" argument without actually looking into it, but after curiosity got the better of me, I was somewhat surprised to find out that Bowser had actually been Smash Bros.-sized until Super Mario 64; that's over a decade of the character appearing only marginally taller than Mario. By comparison, Ridley towers over Samus in all of his appearances, with the exception of the original Metroid (and that's only due to graphical limitations -- even Kraid is tiny).

Bowser works in Smash Bros.&#8230;

WbfO5.png

&#8230;but a Charizard-sized Ridley now strikes me as comical. Samus is supposed to fit in the palm of his hand.

dGM5D.png

I don't know. Coupled with Sakurai's "that would be pretty impossible" comment and relegating two versions of Ridley to bosses in Brawl, I'm not so sure if the thought of including Ridley as a playable character has seriously crossed Sakurai's mind. He wanted to include a second Metroid rep in Brawl, and Zero Suit Samus was the best that he could come up with (over Ridley).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I've always agreed with the "they shrunk Bowser, so they can shrink Ridley" argument without actually looking into it, but after curiosity got the better of me, I was somewhat surprised to find out that Bowser had actually been Smash Bros.-sized until Super Mario 64; that's over a decade of the character appearing only marginally taller than Mario. By comparison, Ridley towers over Samus in all of his appearances, with the exception of the original Metroid (and that's only due to graphical limitations -- even Kraid is tiny).

Bowser works in Smash Bros.…

WbfO5.png

…but a Charizard-sized Ridley now strikes me as comical. Samus is supposed to fit in the palm of his hand.

dGM5D.png

I don't know. Coupled with Sakurai's "that would be pretty impossible" comment and relegating two versions of Ridley to bosses in Brawl, I'm not so sure if the thought of including Ridley as a playable character has seriously crossed Sakurai's mind. He wanted to include a second Metroid rep in Brawl, and Zero Suit Samus was the best that he could come up with (over Ridley).

Good notes, but what about pikmin's Olimar and Kirby?

cednym

Banned
Good notes, but what about pikmin's Olimar and Kirby?

They're tiny in their own games, but they're proportionally "regular-sized," so it's not at all jarring seeing them measure up to the other characters in Smash Bros. On the other hand, we've seen Ridley tower over Samus in the Metroid games, so to suddenly make him small would be confusing.

cednym

Banned
Yeah, not to mention that in the 3D games, Mario could fit in the palm of Bowser's hand (SM64, Sunshine).

In the dozens of games featuring Bowser, he's giant-sized in maybe four or five of them (only one at the time of his inclusion into Melee). By comparison, Ridley is huge in every single one of his appearances besides the original Metroid.

Bowser works in Smash Bros.&#8230;

WbfO5.png

&#8230;but a Charizard-sized Ridley now strikes me as comical. Samus is supposed to fit in the palm of his hand.

dGM5D.png

You missed this:

Metroid01--article_image.jpg

1429655-bigbowser_super.png

Sure you mentioned them but the pics mean something :p.

You missed this:

Metroid01--article_image.jpg

1429655-bigbowser_super.png

Sure you mentioned them but the pics mean something :p.

I think the point is that, within the context of Mario games, Bowser is sized to whatever the heck size suits the game. Within the context of Metroid games, however, Ridley is consistently depicted as enormous save for his appearance in the original which has been overwritten in canon and also depicted Kraid (Kraid) as approximately Samus sized as well.

Gravijah

I think the point is that, within the context of Mario games, Bowser is sized to whatever the heck size suits the game. Within the context of Metroid games, however, Ridley is consistently depicted as enormous save for his appearance in the original which has been overwritten in canon and also depicted Kraid (Kraid) as approximately Samus sized as well.

i don't understand why this matters in a crossover game that isn't canon.

sakurai should just add BABY RIDLEY.

Canon doesn't matter at all in Smash Bros. And if Bowser can get away with changing his size drastically from game to game, so can Ridley.

Canon doesn't matter at all in Smash Bros. And if Bowser can get away with changing his size drastically from game to game, so can Ridley.

Canon must mean something, considering rough character sizes compared to characters from their own universes are depicted as somewhat correct (Bowser isn't as short as Mario is, Charizard is noticeably bigger than Squirtle, etc.).

And Ridley doesn't change his size drastically from game to game, regardless if you think he could or should.

Sakurai's response to Ridley being playable should tell you that he must consider his size to be a defining part of his character, and the fact that his first choice for a second playable Metroid character was a second version of Samus should tell you something. This isn't as easy of a sizing situation as most would like to believe.

I'm not saying it can't or won't be done (I'd be surprised if he isn't playable), but comparing him to Bowser or Olimar is just being disingenuous. If we had a playable Bulborb that was not noticeably larger than Olimar then you might have something.

Don't worry we can get the second form Ridley from Other M since the size is more reasonable, the one that pins you down leading to quite possibly the most annoying part of the game with the first person tail stabbing, it certainly stopped my hard mode run.

Thores

First off, like SmithnCo mentioned, every character in the Smash Bros universe is a plastic figurine brought to life. They can be whatever size Sakurai wants.

Secondly, and I'm putting a bit more weight on this, Sakurai's resolve on "no Ridley" seems to be weakening between each game. He's become increaasingly aware that there's a lot of fan demand for him to be playable, and I think the most recent time he was asked about it he said something along the lines of, "I think it'd be pretty impossible, but... maybe if we put our best effort into it, we could make it work."

I think especially since Sakurai has a much smaller pool of unused iconic characters to choose from for the fourth game in the series, Ridley has a very real chance of being playable this go around. There are enough factors in his favor that Sakurai might decide to throw the size argument out the window.

Don't worry we can get the second form Ridley from Other M since the size is more reasonable, the one that pins you down leading to quite possibly the most annoying part of the game with the first person tail stabbing, it certainly stopped my hard mode run.

El Poco Loco is even uglier then Ridley is.

SmithnCo

Haha, he looks even dumber in that form.

I did think baby Ridley was cute though, I guess that's what they were going for. :>

Gravijah

Canon must mean something, considering rough character sizes compared to characters from their own universes are depicted as somewhat correct (Bowser isn't as short as Mario is, Charizard is noticeably bigger than Squirtle, etc.).

mewtwo wasn't really enormous next to pikachu though, was he?

cednym

Banned
mewtwo wasn't really enormous next to pikachu though, was he?

Honestly, the Pokédex sizes seem to be throwaway BS. The Smash Bros. models are more in tune with the sprites themselves, the anime depictions, and the models from 3D Pokémon games.

mewtwo wasn't really enormous next o pikachu though, was he?

The size wasn't completely correct to Pokédex standards, but he was still nearly twice as tall. He wasn't as short as Pikachu.

EDIT: I'm not saying they follow canon size to a T, but I think it's clear there are some rough guidelines in place.

KevinCow

Banned
sakurai should just add BABY RIDLEY.

I just want to point out to everyone that Gravijah wasn't even aware of Other M's bullshit on this subject when he made this post. Just so we can all laugh a little bit at his blissful ignorance.

everyone seems to forget this ridley from SSBM.

RidleyMeleeCameo.png

so yeah Sakurai can shrink him down.

See, I honestly wouldn't mind this size. I wouldn't want them to shrink him like this in an actual Metroid game, but I'd have no problem with it in Smash, as long as I get to play as Ridley.

I don't see how any Metroid fan could possibly prefer no Ridley to small Ridley. I can only assume that the people arguing against Ridley because of size were never even Metroid fans to begin with. Sakurai included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom