• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how any Metroid fan could possibly prefer no Ridley to small Ridley. I can only assume that the people arguing against Ridley because of size were never even Metroid fans to begin with. Sakurai included.

Well, you definitely assume incorrectly, as I have been a Metroid fan since the original released back in the eighties. I used to get into arguments with my dad over whether Samus was a robot or a man in a suit. Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time, Metroid Prime not far off either.

I just want Ridley to be done right and not get a Ridley in name only like we've gotten for Ganondorf. I would almost go so far as to say the opposite--how could a Metroid fan wish a tiny Ridley upon themselves?

I do think Ridley should be playable, but he damn well better be bigger than every other character. No glorified Velociraptor with dragon wings please.

KevinCow

Banned
Well, you definitely assume incorrectly, as I have been a Metroid fan since the original released back in the eighties.

I just want Ridley to be done right and not get a Ridley in name only like we've gotten for Ganondorf. I would almost go so far as to say the opposite--how could a Metroid fan wish a tiny Ridley upon themselves?

I do think Ridley should be playable, but he damn well better be bigger than every other character. No glorified Velociraptor with dragon wings please.

I'm not saying I don't want the best Ridley possible. I think the best solution is for him to be as big as Bowser when hunched over, so he'd be by far the biggest character if he stretched out.

But I'd rather have any Ridley than no Ridley at all. I don't think his defining characteristic is being huge. His defining characteristics are being a purple fire-breathing space dragon with a stabby tail.

i just want ridley to be fast as fuck.

I could see him being like DK, a power character who's not painfully slow like Bowser or Ganondorf.

But he won't be like Captain Falcon or Fox.

Tizoc

1429655-bigbowser_super.png

Sure you mentioned them but the pics mean something :p.

Is there a better quality image of this? Bowser looks friggin' badass.

But I'd rather have any Ridley than no Ridley at all. I don't think his defining characteristic is being huge. His defining characteristics are being a purple fire-breathing space dragon with a stabby tail.

Well that would be where I disagree then, because I absolutely do see his size as a defining part of his character--one of his signature moves is picking up Samus in a single hand.

They're tiny in their own games, but they're proportionally "regular-sized," so it's not at all jarring seeing them measure up to the other characters in Smash Bros. On the other hand, we've seen Ridley tower over Samus in the Metroid games, so to suddenly make him small would be confusing.

There are Pikmin in Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, and they're as small as they appear to be in the Pikmin games in regards to the world around them.

Now, you can argue that it's just an Easter Egg, and can be dismissed, but there's still the fact that Pikmin appearing as large as the other characters in Brawl just looks "inaccurate". Because the whole point of the Pikmin games is using dozens of them to defeat significantly larger opponents, seeing one or two large Pikmin clinging to Brawl characters seems no less out of place than seeing Ridley with the same proportions as Charizard.

Also, let's not forget that Charizard is supposed to be huge as well. The best example of this is in Pokemon Snap. Ironically, he's roughly the same size as Ridley in the Metroid games. Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard aren't to scale at all.

But in the end, as others here have pointed out, are people so concerned about characters being to scale, that they'd rather have some of them absent entirely rather than seeing them bigger/smaller than they should be? There's no logical explanation given as to why all these characters are fighting in the first place, so I really don't see why people are arguing that certain characters shouldn't be included because changing their size "wouldn't make sense". How is it that Solid Snake fighting Link on a Mario Kart track is perfectly acceptable, but seeing Ridley a bit smaller than usual is too much of a stretch?

Well... doesn't he have the character development of a Magikarp? Despite all the size issues, other characters had more visual language that made them more adaptable. A small Ridley is just that - a small boss.

SmithnCo

Well... doesn't he have the character development of a Magikarp? Despite all the size issues, other characters had more visual language that made them more adaptable. A small Ridley is just that - a small boss.

I don't see how he's any less developed than most other characters. He's easily the second most important Metroid character in the fiction of that series too.

qq more

I hope the following happens:
Wolf and Falco stays while Wolf gets NEW B moves and a different final smash (same to Falco)
Ridley confirmed
Mewtwo returns
Lucario also stays

Just so we can eliminate half of the fucking cycle

CHRIST

Darryl

Banned
That fake Smash Bros tweet has climbed it's way up to the top of reddit. Atleast we know Sakurai is going to hear those sweet fan wishes at least.

cednym

Banned
I've played Super Mario RPG, and that doesn't change the fact that Geno is a completely unknown character who has made no lasting impact in any way whatsoever.

GamerSoul

I hope the following happens:
Wolf and Falco stays while Wolf gets NEW B moves and a different final smash (same to Falco)
Ridley confirmed
Mewtwo returns
Lucario also stays

Just so we can eliminate half of the fucking cycle

CHRIST

Wat cycle do you speak of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom