• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bowser Jr. should be in.

Not only could he be a light-weight Bowser in some respects (which would be cool), but he'd also have the Magic Paintbrush and could fire globs of magic paint shit like he did in Mario Power Tennis. He could also pull a Sheik and transform into Shadow Mario, giving him even more possibilities.

[...] from Capcom alone. [...] Simon Belmont [...]

Every time I see this I don't know if it's a dumb reference to that "Capcom made Castlevania" meme or sincere, and every time I struggle to laugh, even if it were sincere. This fad really should die.

Cloud Sephiroth would be pretty badass and unexpected.

No. Just. No.
They haven't got ANYTHING to do with Nintendo, on top of being terrible characters that should stop being called "awesome" or "badass", because they aren't.

Second-party. But basically this, yeah. Nintendo I think are pretty much free to use Pokemon whenever they want, course.

Your new avatar is ADORABLE.

Alrix

People should be shot for suggesting Geno IMO.

Okay fine, maybe just pelted with tomatoes. But if Geno and Waluigi are in their suggestions, THEN they should be shot.

Why

smrpg popped my gaming cherry and geno was awesome. he will always have a special place in my heart. plus objectively speaking I don't see why he would be a bad addition, and is probably the best representative from square (in terms of relation to nintendo) unless they want to market KH3D (sora) or TWEWY (neku).

also I was originally against waluigi but the more I thought about it, smash does need some more villains and all the current ones seem like heavy characters, waluigi would be more of a medium character and I think he'd be alright. I mean, I won't be upset if he isn't in it, but I think he'd be fine if he was in.

Alrix

So I've been fooling around with the Smash roster creater, and I've finally come up with my ideal roster. Please keep in mind that this is in no way realistic by any fathomable stretch of the imagination, and I do not think this will ever happen. Check it out:

Qitbv.png

thoughts:

- that's a ton of characters...lol
- I don't like the idea of having more than one Pokemon Trainer. I really like his uniqueness, either update him to a more recent gen, or leave him imo
- when i did one of those I had Zelda/Impa, but if it stays as shiek its fine. i was thinking impa because i felt like updating them to SS visuals was important and shiek wasn't in SS and impa would play pretty much the same, but shiek wasn't in TP either and that didn't stop them.
- scrafty would be an awesome gen 5 rep
- no miis....please gaming god let there be no miis

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Geno is the best because of reasons.

The main reason I want Geno in SSB is because it would mean someone at Nintendo remembers that SMRPG exists. Sometimes it feels like I hallucinated playing that game.

Also Geno is cooler than Mallow.

So I've been fooling around with the Smash roster creater, and I've finally come up with my ideal roster. Please keep in mind that this is in no way realistic by any fathomable stretch of the imagination, and I do not think this will ever happen. Check it out:

Qitbv.png

No Scrafty?

Are you feeling alright? I'm worried.

- no miis....please gaming god let there be no miis

If there are Miis in WiiU, I can't think of a better "surprise" character.

That's a lot of Pokémon. Outside of Mewtwo and Zoroark, I don't think we really need others. I would like Deoxys/a more original 5th Pokémon/another trainer though.

That fake Smash Bros tweet has climbed it's way up to the top of reddit. Atleast we know Sakurai is going to hear those sweet fan wishes at least.

Just because a group of people are the most vocal about what they want doesn't mean they're the majority.

It's not that I actively want him NOT to appear, but Geno simply does not deserve a spot in the Smash Bros. series. He was a one-off character, that hasn't even been referenced since, barring a tiny puppet of him in Mario & Luigi that explained a minigame. Geno would hardly be recognised at all, when compared to the rest of the Brawl cast, for example.

All of the characters in the Smash Bros. series to date are hugely significant and represent the franchise they're from really well. And characters like Pit and Ice Climbers, who have only appeared in one game each, are at least the main protagonists in them, and the games they represent aren't already represented by any other character.

Geno increases the chances of remixed SMRPG music (the only part of that game I think has aged well) and decreases the chances of bland as fuck characters like Bowser Jr., Toad or a million different variations of Mario serving as a new Mario rep. I don't think the character himself is that great but I don't find him offensively bad and I'd be happier to see something left-field like him than fucking Waluigi.

If it were likely (Geno actually has a decent amount of fan support so) a Paper Mario partner would be preferable; Vivian could be the most unique and was (sort of) more relevant to PM2's plot than the others, but Goombella/Lady Bow/Bobbery would still be neat, even if they won't ever happen.

If you've ever read a Paper Mario thread here on GAF you'd have realized the majority of Nintendo fans here hate SMRPG for some reason.
I'm nostalgic as fuck about SMRPG since I spent almost an entire year playing through it with my best friend (we took turns playing it at each other's houses) when I was 6/7 years old and it was one of the first games I ever played with a plot, but the worship it gets online seems disproportionate to the quality of the game. There's a big lack of Mario stuff in it which goes towards making some of the experience generic (for every awesome new bit like the Power Rangers parody or Johnny there's stupid bizarre shit like Bellum or whatever that cat's name was), it ambitiously tries to work in platforming but failed miserably and while it laid out the ground work for how every other Mario RPG (and arguably every other 'beginner's RPG game') should play, I find the latter games more engaging in that front.

That being said I have no idea how GAF usually reacts to SMRPG. Personally while I think it's mostly overrated (Thousand Year Door deserves more respect yo) by the internet I'd still rank it over the M&L games. If it weren't for the tons of in-jokes and impressive sprite-work I doubt people would even remember those games exist.

I never played SMRPG until way after its release because people said it's one of the OMG-bestest games EVAR, but I just wasn't really impressed by it. I guess it might be the lack of nostalgia, and quite possibly non-met expectations due to people hyping it up... but it was nowhere near as awesome as people make it out to be. Artstyle is really awful too, imo, but that's taste I guess.

That said, I wouldn't -mind- Geno, but I don't really want him, and would prefer other Mario-related and other Square-owned characters way above him. Preferably some that are actually relevant to either source.

That being said I have no idea how GAF usually reacts to SMRPG. Personally while I think it's mostly overrated (Thousand Year Door deserves more respect yo) by the internet I'd still rank it over the M&L games. If it weren't for the tons of in-jokes and impressive sprite-work I doubt people would even remember those games exist.

Well the funny thing about M&L is that I found the battle system more quick and fun than any other Mario rpg with a great emphasis on avoiding and counter attacking, the enemies more interesting to fight with their unique quirks and tells and the bros teamwork both in and out of battle a very cool concept.
So i'm thinking that I do remember it for reasons beyond the snappy dialogue. That said I never felt the sequels were too impressive but lets not dismiss Superstar Saga with such weak reasons.

Gravijah

are we going to overlook the fact that m&l games have amazing yoko shimomura osts?

+great battle system, interesting stories, amazing writing, etc.

are we going to overlook the fact that m&l games have amazing yoko shimomura osts?

+great battle system, interesting stories, amazing writing, etc.

That Fawful is never going to get into a Smash Bros. game pains me deeply. Not bringing the OSTs is simply the cherry on top.

So does SMRPG though.

Plus a battle system where you can hypothetically never get hit if pass fairly simple mini-games and writing which dissolves into frequent hardcore references or sudden outbursts of LOL SO RANDOM XD doesn't strike me as 'amazing'.

I don't even dislike the games, but much like SMRPG they seem to always get blown up to be some sort of god's gift to gaming when to me while they have their good points and are overall very enjoyable experiences, they're still in the end just sort of 'there'. Paper Mario's just way more charming to me in every conceivable way (besides Super) while not being as archaic as SMRPG nor as simplistic as the M&L's.

Also here's a ridiculously big 65-character roster where the only newcomers I genuinely care about getting into this game are highlighted in red:
gG6K2.png

Gravijah

i don't really remember a ton of references and "random humor" in bowser's inside story. none that stick out, anyway.

BiS is also the only one i would put in the same conversation as PM64 & TTYD.

compared to other fighting games sure, but miis make me think of wii sports and stuff. it's not THAT kind of casual

it's not any less casual than mario kart or mario party.

i don't really remember a ton of references and "random humor" in bowser's inside story. none that stick out, anyway.

BiS is also the only one i would put in the same conversation as PM64 & TTYD.

it's not any less casual than mario kart or mario party.

Haven't played Bowser's Inside Story but M&L1 seemed to get popular so quickly because it had a ton of pretty obscure references (Geno, a question-block museum, Koopalings) and Fawful's humor largely revolved around how nonsensical he'd get. Neat enough and a great GBA game but it really didn't stick with me like Paper Mario. Partner's in Time seemed really rushed and I think most people aren't that keen on it so there's no real argument there. Making the babies a fun concept for once was appreciated though.

Would you say BIS' the best out of the three? (I'm assuming your comparison to the PM's was positive)

Gravijah

Haven't played Bowser's Inside Story but M&L1 seemed to get popular so quickly because it had a ton of pretty obscure references (Geno, a question-block museum, Koopalings) and Fawful's humor largely revolved around how nonsensical he'd get. Neat enough and a great GBA game but it really didn't stick with me like Paper Mario. Partner's in Time seemed really rushed and I think most people aren't that keen on it so there's no real argument there. Making the babies a fun concept for once was appreciated though.

Would you say BIS' the best out of the three? (I'm assuming your comparison to the PM's was positive)

BIS is definitely the best out of the three, and i really recommend playing it. it's also been a while since i've played M&L1 but now that you mention it i definitely remember the humor in that game being a bit... internetty.

the PM comparison was of course positive. this is PM we're talking about!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
While I don't like Fawful I'd rather take him than Genobody. At least that guy is far more interesting.

And yeah BIS is the best M&L. It's also the best treatment Bowser has gotten in every Mario game (yes, better than his SPM treatment).

Lip really does need more love. LIIIIIIP. <3
I absolutely adore the Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon series, so while I'm not too familiar with her as a character due to the constant IP changes (but I doubt it's much more than 'fairy rescues brainwashed friends and fights demons', but she's still cool) she'd still be representing what I think is easily Nintendo's best puzzle series (fuck Dr. Mario). Not to mention Smash needs more female reps and she's already been referenced a few times in the series.

I absolutely adore the Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon series, so while I'm not too familiar with her as a character due to the constant IP changes (but I doubt it's much more 'fairy rescues brainwashed friends and fights demons', but she's still cool) she'd still be representing what I think is easily Nintendo's best puzzle series (fuck Dr. Mario). Not to mention Smash needs more female reps and she's already been referenced a few times in the series.

No, there's not much else to her other than her cameo in Captain Rainbow.
I really would like a whole Panel de Pon-related character and stage combo simply because the music is just so awesome.

I mean, we already have Lip's Theme as BGM, and her stick as item. Her moveset could be based not only around that, but generally status effects (maybe related to her tossing the differently colored blocks or something). :>

JazzmanZ

Qitbv.png

apparently your ideal roster includes Galactaknight but not Metaknight? huh.

KevinCow

Banned
Yeah, screw Metaknight. Galactaknight could play like a cooler, less-broken clone (maybe slower but with more power) and it would remove the herculean task of balancing Metaknight properly.

Why would Metaknight be impossible to balance?

Why would making a clone with a more balanced move set be a better solution than just giving that more balanced move set to Metaknight?

Why would Metaknight be impossible to balance?

Why would making a clone with a more balanced move set be a better solution than just giving that more balanced move set to Metaknight?

Metaknight isn't impossible to balance, but Sakurai would have to do it very, very carefully in order to appease the hordes of Metaknight fans and players who like his godliness.

Putting Galactaknight in over Metaknight was more of a joke than a serious statement, and I just wanted to see if anyone would catch it. I really would like to see GK in the game in some form, as it would present an oppourtunity to tinker with MK's moveset without pissing people off, plus he could make an exciting boss fight should they decide not to go forward with him as a character.

Once again, not a serious roster, just me wasting an hour and having some fun.

Boss Doggie

I wonder, do you think Ubi would get to add a character in Smash since their relationship with Nintendo seems positive? Rayman, a random Rabbid or probably even Eizo should do.

Alrix

I wonder, do you think Ubi would get to add a character in Smash since their relationship with Nintendo seems positive? Rayman, a random Rabbid or probably even Eizo should do.

Rayman playable + rabbids stage. or at least an assist trophy. they fit awesome. not sure about ezio.

i was thinking this could definitely happen seeing ubi was one of the early supporters of the wii u last year, plus the rayman wii u leak.

Qitbv.png

It better not happen because I would hate to see a Slime as an actual character over anyone else. That's like what they did with a Servbot in MvC2.

It better not happen because I would hate to see a Slime as an actual character over anyone else. That's like what they did with a Servbot in MvC2.

I was just thinking how the DQ franchise could be represented in Smash Bros. (which actually isn't impossible due to Nintendo's good relationship with the franchise), and I couldn't really decide on any of the heroes from Dragon Quests 1-9. I love how iconic and cute the slime is, and I think it would be interesting to see how a generic slime or the super-cool Rocket (from the tragically underappreciated Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime) could be given a moveset. If you've played any of the Rocket Slime games, then you can see how Rocket in particular might not be too much of a stretch.

Snakeyes

Gino is a waste of the Square-Enix pick IMO. There are characters hat would attract much more attention, like the DQ Hero (with a customizable appearance), Sora or even Cloud or Neku.

Masked Man would make me shit my pants.

Ghirahim needs to be in.

Wolf Link + Midna needs to be in. They would have a unique playstyle that would benefit the game.

Gino is a waste of the Square-Enix pick IMO. There are characters hat would attract much more attention, like the DQ Hero (with a customizable appearance), Sora or even Cloud or Neku.

I'd be okay with Neku since all of his appearances so far have been on Nintendo consoles, but Sora and Cloud wouldn't work due to

A) Their main games being on Sony consoles; and

B) Sora being owned partially by Disney.

Snake's been getting better as of late.

Plus, Twin Snakes, considered by some to be the definitive version of his first 3D game, was exclusive to the GameCube, plus there was also Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for the GBC before that. Sora has only appeared in spinoffs and one major game on Nintendo consoles so far, and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that any game starring Cloud has appeared so far on a Nintendo console.

Boss Doggie

I still disagree on using Snake as a counter-example because his entry was more on due to Sakurai being BFF with Kojima than "game appearances".

I think Geno would be a perfect representative for Square.
To be honest he is probably one of my least favorite characters in SMRPG, but he is probably the most recognized by fans of the game.
Super Mario RPG, to me, represents the marriage between Nintendo and Square that once was, which is why I'm all for Geno.

Also, I feel SMRPG had much more Mario 'flair' than any of the Paper Mario games, which don't even feel like Mario games to me. The Mario & Luigi series probably does that best though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom