• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

89VFr.jpg

McNum

So, partly due to this thread, and partly because it's been a long time, I played a bit of Brawl today. And I found an awesome AI quirk in the CPU Mario that I want to share.

Do this:
- Play as Peach
- Add one CPU: Mario (Lv. 3)
- Acquire Smash Ball
- Do not activate Final Smash

What happens next is... that Mario doesn't attack Peach. At all. Oh, sure, he makes feints, and maybe an occasional fireball, but he stays the hell away from Peach. I guess Mario already knows not to mess with Peach when she's angry.

Don't really know if it's on purpose, but I found it funny enough to share.

You know, one thing of the cut Brawl content was a gargantuan amount of music. Of course, lots of awesome themes went buh-bye (e.g. Ballad of the Windfish), but what stood out the most to me was that there have been victory jingles for every character (except Jigglypuff and Wolf, but instead Mewtwo and Roy were listed iirc), just like Meta Knight has his own remix of Kirby's victory theme.

You guys think that they're gonna do it this time around?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wasn't the initial list of guest composers much longer when it was first revealed?

For the next game they need to make sure the stages that need music get prioritised before they make another Mario remix. Why does the Fire Emblem stage need one million and one songs?

So, partly due to this thread, and partly because it's been a long time, I played a bit of Brawl today. And I found an awesome AI quirk in the CPU Mario that I want to share.

Do this:
- Play as Peach
- Add one CPU: Mario (Lv. 3)
- Acquire Smash Ball
- Do not activate Final Smash

What happens next is... that Mario doesn't attack Peach. At all. Oh, sure, he makes feints, and maybe an occasional fireball, but he stays the hell away from Peach. I guess Mario already knows not to mess with Peach when she's angry.

Don't really know if it's on purpose, but I found it funny enough to share.
I'm going to have to try this later on.
As for a much more obvious Brawl cpu quirk i'm sure everyone has noticed that high levels CPU players in free for alls just gang up on human players, hilariously if you manage to space yourself far enough away for them to finally fight each other you will likely witness a very safe fight as they barely scratch each other with weak moves, it's like watching a scripted playfight. The moment you return to the fray they'll jump on you and possibly all taunt together upon smashing you out of the equation, if I wanted handicap matches i'd play on team mode!

Heropon

I've just played a little of Brawl and I've remembered how few powerful attacks Samus has. I hope Sakurai is nicer to her this time and he doesn't nerf her anymore.

daakusedo

It would be so nice to have xenoblade representation and first a level that travel through the best locations of the game, seeing that world on wiiu should be quiet something.
Hoping also for Shulk and some clever monado use.

Heropon

It would be so nice to have xenoblade representation and first a level that travel through the best locations of the game, seeing that world on wiiu should be quiet something.
Hoping also for Shulk and some clever monado use.

YES, please!

I hope Sakurai considers it and Golden Sun now that he has fewer characters from which to choose.

Fixed for the truth ;_;

Samus builds damage, builds damage and builds damage and then she can't harm a fly.

I've just played a little of Brawl and I've remembered how few powerful attacks Samus has. I hope Sakurai is nicer to her this time and he doesn't nerf her anymore.

Well, she always was supposed to be one of those stereotypes that rack damage easily but have trouble killing the opponent(s), but I absolutely agree; her Brawl incarnation has gone way too far in that regard.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly just give her a good up smash, make her projectile knock farther, and give her a few more jumps. Also make her down B less sucky.

Honestly just give her a good up smash, make her projectile knock farther, and give her a few more jumps. Also make her down B less sucky.

They should let you charge up down b for Power bombs (that aren't quite as overpowered as the ones in the series), or at the very least the spilling of a morph ball bomb bundle like you can do is Super Metroid

Azure J

Real talk, besides the mechanic switches to make tethers usable in air, N64 Samus was best. How she continues to lose mobility/agility (ZSS be damned) in every installment after that one is beyond me. I can only hope that for Smash 4, Other M's incarnation gameplay-wise inspires someone doing her move set to go "hey, she's a fucking beast, let's reflect that!"

Boss Doggie

Man I hope they don't change Wolf's voice. He's so tough and cunning
and sexy
with that voice.

We're gonna have fun with this thang~

qq more

WHAT DID YOU DO TO FALCO

and in speaking of

I kind of hope he has dual laser guns in SSB4. He used them in his introductory SSE cutscene and I was excited at the very idea of dual guns. Left disappointed when he still only shoots with one gun.

Azure J

samus needs a final smash that doesn't turn her into stupid ass zero suit samus.

I have nothing against ZSS, but this is the truth. I wonder though what Final Smashes as a mechanic will go through in the change from Brawl to Smash 4 though. I feel like it's a bad idea to count on anything just getting iterated on in this series and with Sakurai also talking about doing things more by a committee than by his own decision, I can't help but think Smash 4 might be the craziest one of them all.

Boss Doggie

samus needs a final smash that doesn't turn her into stupid ass zero suit samus.

Wut

ZSS blows Samus out of the water.

WHAT DID YOU DO TO FALCO

and in speaking of

I kind of hope he has dual laser guns in SSB4. He used them in his introductory SSE cutscene and I was excited at the very idea of dual guns. Left disappointed when he still only shoots with one gun.

DON'T LOOK AT ME I WAS JUST PLAYING ALONG WITH THE CHOZO PART

Oh you mean why he is big? I have no problem with that :3

Anyway yeah, it seems to be a cutscene power.

KevinCow

Banned

I hope ZSS isn't even in the next Smash. Not as a Samus transformation, not as her own character, just not in there at all. Terrible concept for a character, and the fact that she exists makes it blatantly clear that Sakurai has hardly even touched the Metroid series and doesn't understand it at all. Yeah, let's base a whole character off a gameplay segment that only appeared in one game and lasted for like ten minutes.

I really hope they actually have a Metroid fan or two on the team this time around. Donkey Kong, too.

SmithnCo

I hope ZSS isn't even in the next Smash. Not as a Samus transformation, not as her own character, just not in there at all. Terrible concept for a character, and the fact that she exists makes it blatantly clear that Sakurai has hardly even touched the Metroid series and doesn't understand it at all. Yeah, let's base a whole character off a gameplay segment that only appeared in one game and lasted for like ten minutes.

I really hope they actually have a Metroid fan or two on the team this time around. Donkey Kong, too.

They seemed to really love showing ZSS at every opportunity in Other M, so she'll be back with some of her signature catchphrases, such as "the baby," "no objections," "I was so young," and "the baby."

I actually really enjoy ZSS and the whole moveset concept with the stun gun from Zero Mission, but mainly the energy whip she uses. I felt it was really fresh and exciting, and she's one of my favorite characters. Not to mention that I really enjoyed the Zero Suit segment in Zero Mission.

SmithnCo

ZSS's jumps were always weird to me. Maybe it was Brawl's floaty physics but they always seemed too high and maybe too fast. Made her seem floatier. Plus she had no really good heavy attacks. Besides throwing suit pieces around like a troll.

ZSS's jumps were always weird to me. Maybe it was Brawl's floaty physics but they always seemed too high and maybe too fast. Made her seem floatier. Plus she had no really good heavy attacks. Besides throwing suit pieces around like a troll.

If you mean attacks with high knockback, SideB (though since it's one of her main zoning abilities, that is usually not fresh), the kick of DownB, and several of her aerials (Back Air, Up Air) are actually really good for killing shit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Technically ZSS appears in many of the Metroid games.

Zero Suit Samus is fine, there should just be a way to use Samus's Final Smash without turning into her (like, perhaps hold B to make a weaker laser that doesn't break her suit or something). I'd rather not lose an entire unique playstyle because of personal distaste. And it's not really that bad of a character concept--playable suitless Samus extends back to the original Metroid.

Regarding DK, Sakurai kind of strikes me as a fan of Donkey Kong 64 in particular, considering Melee's many references (Rap, Jungle Japes being named for the first stage, Cranky's lab, trophy references) as well as Brawl with Diddy--not too many other character have had so much of their moveset based on a decade old game in the middle of an on going series (plus numerous direct references in the trophies). I never got the sense that there weren't any DK fans on the team. I got the opposite impression.

Metroid I could see though--just look at the Metroid stages in Melee. They look like they were designed by someone who's read about Metroid games and seen a few pictures of them. Brawl was a lot better about the stages though.

DK is oddly represented in Smash, I get the feeling that DKC2 and DKC3 are criminally ignored by the smash team, the only music track from either game in the smash series is Stickerbrush Symphony, and DK Island Swing makes up half the themes mainly due to a plethora of Jungle stages, none of which are like the tribal jungles of DKC2 or the very dense ones of DKC3, though this is likely because melee and brawl used the most recent DK games to draw from (64 and JB at the time). So I guess it's DKCR jungle for us next.
As such Squitter is among my favourite trophy in Brawl, I was genuinely shocked to see him.

Oh and no DK series assist trophy, grumble.

DK representation is odd, yeah. It's similar to Metroid, where the Western takes are kinda shafted. Really, DK should be like this:

Characters- DK and Diddy, all good here, no need for more or less.
Stages: A DKC stage, and a DKCR stage or a Jungle Beat stage. Rumble Falls or whatever it's called is garbage, but Kongo Jungle and the log cabin level (either one) are welcome in my eyes.
Assists: K.Rool and a Kong. Cranky would be fantastic, but Resetti kinda already has his obvious schtick. Funky could be a good one- have him rescue you Beat-style if you fall away from the stage in his plane.
Music: DKC1/2 heavy, include some Jungle Beat tunes for kicks. DKC music selection in Brawl was shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom