• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder, do you think Ubi would get to add a character in Smash since their relationship with Nintendo seems positive? Rayman, a random Rabbid or probably even Eizo should do.
I can see Rabbid with alternate costumes of Rabbid with Ezio clothes (like Pikachu with goggles etc) kind of like the TMNT Snash Up except without Rabbids being 25% of the cast...in a TMNT game!

Super Mario RPG, to me, represents the marriage between Nintendo and Square that once was, which is why I'm all for Geno.

But they have a sort-of marriage again, and in all the Square/Mario crossovers they made in the last few years (the Itadaki Street games and Mario Basketball), they never used Geno or even referenced him. Instead, in Mario Basketball, FF's generic class characters Black Mage, White Mage, Ninja, a Chocobo, a Cactuar and a Moogle made it in, and with the IS games, some DQ characters were added (including Slimes).

Those games would've been the perfect opportunity to expose SMRPG's cast (Mario game developed by Square and with Square-owned characters!), but Square didn't add them. I would argue that Square would've added Geno, Mallow and whomever else to those games if they wanted to give SMRPG some love, and it's most likely up to Square which of their characters would be added to those games and their Smash debut, so I'd say Geno is most likely out of the question, and I would put my money on a generic FF character and maybe something related to DQ.

SmithnCo

I would want Rayman, he seems like the most iconic Ubi character to me, and he has that new Origins game coming out that uses figurines for WiiU. Then he could maybe use Rabbids in some of his moves.

I still disagree on using Snake as a counter-example because his entry was more on due to Sakurai being BFF with Kojima than "game appearances".

I'm merely pointing out that there aren't any rules for third party inclusion beyond appearing on a Nintendo console. The idea that they have to have history with Nintendo or are mainly seen on Nintendo consoles is based on nothing--we have a grand total of two third party characters to use as examples, and neither of them fit that bill. The idea that third party character guests have to at all be important to Nintendo is a completely fan created notion.

But they have a sort-of marriage again, and in all the Square/Mario crossovers they made in the last few years (the Itadaki Street games and Mario Basketball), they never used Geno or even referenced him. Instead, in Mario Basketball, FF's generic class characters Black Mage, White Mage, Ninja, a Chocobo, a Cactuar and a Moogle made it in, and with the IS games, some DQ characters were added (including Slimes).

It's worth noting that in the Mario Itadaki Street/Fortune Street games they actually do directly reference SMRPG--the Mushroom Kingdom stage uses the Mushroom Kingdom song from SMRPG, but any unique SMRPG characters (Mallow, Geno, what have you) are not referenced at all.

Snakeyes

I don't think that any game starring Cloud has appeared so far on a Nintendo console.

25-VisualBoyAdvance_2007-05-25_05-32-08-75.jpg

leroidys

So I've been fooling around with the Smash roster creater, and I've finally come up with my ideal roster. Please keep in mind that this is in no way realistic by any fathomable stretch of the imagination, and I do not think this will ever happen. Check it out:

Qitbv.png

Fawful, Flint, Chibi Robo, Tom Nook, Masked Man, Baby bros....

APPROVED

Boney

Banned
BIS is definitely the best out of the three, and i really recommend playing it. it's also been a while since i've played M&L1 but now that you mention it i definitely remember the humor in that game being a bit... internetty.

the PM comparison was of course positive. this is PM we're talking about!

It's not definately the best of the 3. It has higher highs but lower lows than SSS.

http://lparchive.org/Kingdom-Hearts-Chain-of-Memories/Update%208/25-VisualBoyAdvance_2007-05-25_05-32-08-75.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I said starring, as in he's the main character, not a side/supporting character.

[quote="leroidys, post: 38248032"]Fawful, Flint, Chibi Robo, Tom Nook, Masked Man, Baby bros....

APPROVED[/QUOTE]

[img]http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/274/brofistcover.jpg

It's worth noting that in the Mario Itadaki Street/Fortune Street games they actually do directly reference SMRPG--the Mushroom Kingdom stage uses the Mushroom Kingdom song from SMRPG, but any unique SMRPG characters (Mallow, Geno, what have you) are not referenced at all.

Really? Can I have a link to that, cause I didn't notice it. :<

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm merely pointing out that there aren't any rules for third party inclusion beyond appearing on a Nintendo console. The idea that they have to have history with Nintendo or are mainly seen on Nintendo consoles is based on nothing--we have a grand total of two third party characters to use as examples, and neither of them fit that bill. The idea that third party character guests have to at all be important to Nintendo is a completely fan created notion.

Ahh yeah, the only requirement was that the character should appear in a Nintendo console and is also not an anime/TV show character.

There really needs to be a blue shell item for Sakurai/Nintendo to troll now that it's infamous. You pick it up and use it; It circles around someone and hits them(it's unavoidable unless you jump off the edge) causing a small explosion in the area like it does during MK.

photostream

This is a just for fun one. I don't think a lot of these will make it and I think we will get significantly less new characters. There were some personal things I wanted to throw in but the current program doesn't offer. The bottom row is unlockables and the side bar would be returning veterans that would also be unlockable after the rest are unlocked.

The Female Trainer, I wanted to have starters from different gens not just Hoeen. Such as Piplup, Bayleef and Blaziken.

Midna/Wolf Link was supposed to be a transformation for Link.

Dixie- Instead of having just her they could have it work like Pokemon Trainer where you could switch(using a tag barrel) between Kiddy, Dixie and Funky.

Meowth- I always thought deserved to be in over most other choices and could be the "Villain" slot for Pokemon.

Zelda/Impa- Get rid of Sheik and just have a fixed Zelda that isn't completely useless. Impa essentially becomes a more powerful/useful Sheik.

I hope sakurai allows for more fan interaction with Brawl and character requests. If I remember correctly he only took Japanese fan character requests last time. I also hope he continues to offer surprise characters as well such as Snake & Pokemon Trainer in Brawl.

If Dixie and Kiddy were both going to be in a tag mechanic combined with Ice Climbers duo action would be the way to go, think that they could play like two separate characters (you'd control whoever leads and you could freely switch between the leader)and when together they'd have team moves that can't be done by themselves.

Funky need not apply.

cednym

Banned
If Dixie and Kiddy were both going to be in a tag mechanic combined with Ice Climbers duo action would be the way to go, think that they could play like two separate characters (you'd control whoever leads and you could freely switch between the leader)and when together they'd have team moves that can't be done by themselves.

That was most likely Sakurai's intention. Diddy's Monkey Flip and Banana Peel moves feel like throwaway last minute replacements (they were made up for Brawl). His original side special was probably the piggyback throw and his down special swapped the lead character.

No, he means Cloud Sephiroth, like a combination of both characters. I guess it'd be like how Snake in Brawl is sort of a combination of Solid Snake and Naked Snake.

Javier

I would love for Sakurai to confirm Mallow as an Assist Trophy very early on, and then the game comes out and people find out Geno isn't in it even as a sticker.

Characters I'm expecting:

A7Y2o.png

Waluigi is pretty much the only viable Mario rep for the game. He's also badass as fuck, fuck the haters.

30f.png

I love Waluigi as much as the next guy, but there are better candidates than him, I'd say. I'd absolutely love to see him, though. Also, this is the only character roster you need.

2N2wd.gif

Christ, you guys are no fun.

Someone made this a while back, when Brawl was still called "Super Smash Brothers Revolution". So yeah, it's a pretty old picture. We all had fun seeing how many characters we could cram on there. It was pretty outlandish, now that I think about it.

Final Fantasy Party as a Pokemon Trainer like setup, consisting of Light Warrior, Cecil, and Terra. They use an MP gauge for specials.

I've been saying this for so long. Although, my idea was Black Mage, Red Mage, Ninja and a Chocobo. The MP gauge is a great idea though.

At the very least I'd want Cecil and Kefka.

I played Smash Brawl for the first time in a long while and good lord does it have a ridiculous amount of content. Fully featured new levels in addition to levels from Melee. It's kind of absurd how much is packed into the game. There's a level editor? I completely forgot about that. And there's Calling to the Night from MGS Portable Ops! All these assists including Gray Fox and Barbara from Band Bros. Checking the song list, there's even a track from Chou Mecha MG (awesome DS mech game only released in Japan).

I'm interested to see how it can be topped, without devolving into "more characters, levels, etc." Obviously online needs an overhaul.

SmithnCo

I played Smash Brawl for the first time in a long while and good lord does it have a ridiculous amount of content. Fully featured new levels in addition to levels from Melee. It's kind of absurd how much is packed into the game. There's a level editor? I completely forgot about that. And there's Calling to the Night from MGS Portable Ops! All these assists including Gray Fox and Barbara from Band Bros. Checking the song list, there's even a track from Chou Mecha MG (awesome DS mech game only released in Japan).

I'm interested to see how it can be topped, without devolving into "more characters, levels, etc." Obviously online needs an overhaul.

Level creator needs a big improvement too, the Brawl one is pretty disappointing. For one, they should let you use backgrounds from actual levels, not generic stuff like a random temple. Ability to place more blocks is a given too, and it would be way more interesting if you could freely move stage elements without being tied to a grid.

If done right, it could really extend the life of the game.

GamerSoul

I've been saying this for so long. Although, my idea was Black Mage, Red Mage, Ninja and a Chocobo. The MP gauge is a great idea though.

Wow, that concept actually sounds amazing. it's the only FF related one I can see being a lot of fun. The Chocobo could also work similar to wario's bike where it can be randomly summoned.

And I think there will definitely be a more in-depth level creator. Imagine if we could design break the target and race to the finish tracks also...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Making fake rosters is a lost art.

Especially when I read people are using a generator. How lazy can you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom