• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

See, here's the thing. They all have quirky personalities... that are actually fun and sorta fits the setting. Then we suddenly have a stoic, one-dimensional puppet who never fits in the whole series. Yes, even Mallow fits because he looks likes those goddamn clouds. And I ain't hatin' on Vivi - I'm hating on Vivi fans.

And yeah, Mallow can't jump.
He can fly and split himself in half though.
I won't be satisfied until I see an effigy of Geno being burned.

As for the second - you're just having double standards! Wolf is no more unique than Lucas. Only thing Wolf has copying is the Landmaster, otherwise I've yet to see a Jon Talbain-style fighter in Smash. If you're gonna relegate clones into shallow similarities, then Link is a clone of Samus!

You're bitching about Geno being the stereotypical old wise character type. At least that's better than Mallow's boring ass. Right well good luck with that.

I don't care if they have different properties, they look similar enough for me to consider him a clone. If he isn't a clone as you say then change his clone-ish aspects and there you go.

I love how the game is home to some the most unique and loved licenses in gaming and yet all we get is generic forest, jungle, lake, mountain, desert, etc...(Halberd excluded). I want to storm Bowser's Castle as Link. I want to fight Dedede in his personal boxing ring as Ganondorf. I want to run through Green Hill Zone as Mario. I want to kick Mother Brain's (and the Metroids') ass in Tourian as Fox. I want to navigate Bramble Scramble as Pit. Hell, give me Bowser vs. King K. Rool on the Gangplank Galleon. I could go on forever.

FUCK

An idea that was discussed in this thread was how each level should be representative of a franchise and it allows you to play how that franchise plays, so like a SRPG in an FE level and etc for others. Too bad that would be too awesome and too hard to do for Nintendo. But I agree with you I think it's ridiculous how SSE was just a bunch of shitty generic levels.

I want a Link to the Past stage, set in Kakariko Village that would switch to the Dark World, and back to the Light World every 5/10 minutes.
I would also like Link (from A Link to the Past) as an Assist, where his attacks would change depending on if its the Dark World or not.

I want a Link to the Past stage, set in Kakariko Village that would switch to the Dark World, and back to the Light World every 5/10 minutes.
I would also like Link (from A Link to the Past) as an Assist, where his attacks would change depending on if its the Dark World or not.

I've always wanted a rainy Hyrule Castle stage from LTTP. Complete with the "Opening Demo" version of the rain theme.

I actually just really love that song. If they can find a way to sneak it in I'll be happy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You're bitching about Geno being the stereotypical old wise character type. At least that's better than Mallow's boring ass. Right well good luck with that.

I don't care if they have different properties, they look similar enough for me to consider him a clone. If he isn't a clone as you say then change his clone-ish aspects and there you go.

Guess what? That old wise archetype thing works on their appearances because they don't appear frequently. Here you have Geno being... there.

And hahahah, Mallow being boring. Sure he is annoying, but boring? HAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't you mean Geno? After all, as you said, he is the "old, wise stereotype" and boring is part of their job.

They're not just different properties. And again - if you're simply basing it in looks and, well, essence, you might as well consider Link and Samus clones.

BalrogTheMaster

Neo Member
Doc_Louis.jpg

'Sup.

Even if you don't you better be off the web once it starts because you can be damn sure you'll be spoiled whether or not you want to.

Yeah, that's the main thing. I'm only opposed to the existence of another Dojo because you know damn well every site out there will copy/paste everything from it.

Mael

Yeah, that's the main thing. I'm only opposed to the existence of another Dojo because you know damn well every site out there will copy/paste everything from it.

Even here, I mean "JAPAN TIME : OMG MASTER CHIEF IN BRAWL!!!1!1!1!1" doesn't leave much to the imagination...although I trust mods here.

Nice discution .
If dojo is back ( and it will be back considering how sucessfull in term of hype it was )..it'll be awesome.

i hope nintendo remembers that europe should get the game at the same time as the rest of the world .

qq more

Dojo was so stupid fun. On one hand, it was awesome seeing new updates, but on the other we have people picking apart updates in an either "THIS IS DUMB" or "OMFG CHARACTER X CONFIRMED?" way. I remember when they announced the Masterpieces (VC game demos) and show a snapshot of Falco being taken down in Star Fox 64, people seriously thought it was a dis-confirmation of Falco. :lol

And then there was an update where Sakurai showed the Wii's menu (it has the Brawl channel and Mii Channel), people suddenly thought Miis were being hinted/confirmed.

Did anybody here actually care about Ganondorf in Melee? I got the impression the official reason given for why he stayed a clone in Brawl (besides extra effort, duh) was because it'd be a pain for Melee players to adapt to a new moveset. Competitively-speaking wasn't he ranked horribly in both games anyway? Strikes me as weird that's one of the few aspects Sakurai's reluctant to change up radically with each new game, yet he's willing to invest far more time and effort in a nice-in-theory-but-boring-as-shit-in-practice adventure mode.
Yes, I care and so do a lot of people. Melee Ganondorf is the man I love playing as him. And I love playing as Captain Falcon, the two don't play alike at all despite visual similarities. I doubt any official reason was ever given for why the moveset stayed mostly stayed the same but I doubt it had anything to do with pleasing Melee fans after everything else Sakurai removed. Ganondorf is mid tier but can still do well in Melee whereas he's at the very bottom in Brawl. The only good things that were added to him in the Brawl were the new side-b, the uppercut on the up-b, and the new Warlock Punch animation. Everything else about him is just so much worse.

I really don't want to see Melee Ganon's moveset go away. Either give him an alternate sword moveset activated by a taunt or something, or give the moveset to someone else. Then again, if it stays like it is in Brawl then who gives a shit.

Lothars

uhm, brawl roster is infinitely superior to melees.

SSE & the unlock board are unmatched in the series, the unlock board especially. one of the best things ever.

online is horrible.

lucas was awesome, lucario is better than mewtwo, sad to see dr mario gone. should have replaced luigi.

I don't have an issue with anything you said other than I would rather have them keep both but I would rather have Luigi than Mario.

Ganondorf is too good a character to keep him as a clone. There's so much shit to draw from to give him a unique moveset that it's wasted potential. Remember, in a game about fanservice, not being able to duel Link with the Sage's Sword or take out Sheik with some Triforce-powered sorcery is kinda wrong.

Ideally, I'd like the Ganon from FSA to be playable too.

Ganondorf is too good a character to keep him as a clone. There's so much shit to draw from to give him a unique moveset that it's wasted potential. Remember, in a game about fanservice, not being able to duel Link with the Sage's Sword or take out Sheik with some Triforce-powered sorcery is kinda wrong.

Ideally, I'd like the Ganon from FSA to be playable too.
Yeah, this is where I'm coming from. Zelda isn't my favorite Nintendo series (don't let the avatar fool you), but it still feels wrong having a character as iconic to the company as him stay as a clone of Falcon. It's probably already been suggested but even giving his old moveset to someone more relevant to the captain like Black Shadow would be a nice compromise to those who really don't want to see it axed.

By moveset you mean only B moves right. Because that's only like, roughly 10% or so of Wolf.

Yes, of course. The fact that Fox was the basis for Wolf makes Wolf a clone of Fox. A 10% clone, but a clone nonetheless.

What do you mean built around? Besides his specials being similar (but having different properties) they're not similar at all.

His specials, for the majority of people, are the most notable aspect of Wolf. His specials being similar is a big deal.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yes, of course. The fact that Fox was the basis for Wolf makes Wolf a clone of Fox. A 10% clone, but a clone nonetheless.

His specials, for the majority of people, are the most notable aspect of Wolf. His specials being similar is a big deal.

But then again that would mean everyone in Smash is almost a clone, especially ones where all of the neutral B moves are projectiles.

Again, I'll say that Link is a clone of Samus with that way of thinking.

But then again that would mean everyone in Smash is almost a clone, especially ones where all of the neutral B moves are projectiles.

Pick Mario, Link and Samus (and tons of others) and use their Neutral Airs. OH MY GOD THEY'RE ALL THE SAME, CLONES.

Go pick Captain Falcon and Samus and use their Up Tilt. OH MY GOD CLONES.

Smash recycles moves all the time and as long as the move properties are different then it's really not a big deal.

Too bad, he doesn't add anything to the roster besides a white lab coat and the doctor mirror. Make him an alt so people stop bitching, we don't need another useless clone because he does slightly more damage or his copied moves send a person in a different direction.

SHUT UP DR. MARIO IS WAY BETTER THAN MARIO DIE DIE DIE

Hem-hem.

And you'll be wrong. When they were making Fox, they used Fox as a base. Link does not exist as a result of Samus being a base because there's no evidence or even implication that would suggest that Link is a clone of Samus.

Being a clone is not a bad thing; nevertheless, Wolf is a clone.

Funnily enough, I prefer most of the clones to the originals.

Dr. Mario, Pichu, Wolf, Lucas. Those are the ones that I remember best.

I think the only exception - or at least the only one I can recall off the top of my head - is Ganondorf. Never was a fan of him. Doesn't help that Falcon was so awesome in 64, but so shit in Melee and Brawl. X: EDIT: Oh, I like Mewtwo more than Lucario, if that counts.

I have always wondered why some people are so against the inclusion of clones. What's wrong with them? Some people like them more than the originals, so why can't they have them? It's not just a matter of costumes, either. The little differences make all the difference in the world to people like me. I really don't like playing as Fox - at all, he is one of my least favorites - but I love playing as Wolf - he is one of my favorites!

you guys are just jerks ):

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, here's some more ideas on home stages I have...this time for new characters I'd like to see added to the roster.

Isa Jo
Volcanic Stronghold - Sin and Punishment Star Successor
*This level would be inspired by the penultimate level of Sin and Punishment 2, Volcanic Stronghold, specifically the boss fight with the Komodo Keeper on the train. A high-speed vertical level, the entire time you're atop two fast-moving flat train cars. If you fall off onto the tracks, you don't die, but you'll instead hurt and sent into the air. Think Big Blue, basically. There is a connector between the two cars that you can duck down and hide in.
*The level wouldn't be simply flat, however, as the entire time you're being pursued by the Komodo Keeper...if you're knocked back into this fellow, well, you're sent flying. He'll also occasionally shoot a large fire-ball that flies slowly vertically through the air.
*If you hit the connector hard enough multiple times, it will snap, sending the back train car flying into the Komodo Keeper, making them both go off the screen temporarily. Thus, the battle becomes a fight on a small, flat platform which can be a bit difficult for the player. Eventually, a new platform comes from the front, attaches, and the Komodo Keeper resumes his chase!
*During the level, the background is filled with tons of enemies from the Volcanic Stronghold flying around, shooting fireballs, and other background effects. It's a pretty chaotic scene all around.
*Music would include Havoc (Sin and Punishment 2), Menu (Sin and Punishment 2), and Raid Blue (Sin and Punishment)

Tin Star
East Driftwood - Tin Star
*A Western level based off East Drifwood from the SNES Lightgun game "Tin Star", it's a flat level meaning you can't fall off the ledge, only the sides if you walk off or by getting thrown in the air. It's a bit like Onett in that the buildings lining the background, such as a hotel, a saloon, and a church, serve as platforms as you can stand on the windowsills and verandas.
*The level utilizes a time sequence, cycling through day, noon, and night, with each period being about two minutes long. The level always starts at noon.
*During noon, outlaws randomly pop out of windows (they won't pop out of a window if a character is standing in-front of it) and if you get too close to them, a target will appear over you and they'll shoot at you. So, you'll wanna try and knock your opponents into the range of the outlaws. You can also knock the outlaws out of the windows by smashing them.
*At night, the outlaws dissapear, and the stage is rather peaceful.
*At the beginning of the morning, a large stampede of cows charges through the stage, so you'll wanna get to higher ground to stay safe. Sometimes a few staggerers will appear after the main stampede to surprise you.
*Music would include Title Screen (Tin Star), Goin' Across Town (Tin Star), and, because I think it'd be cool if stages borrowed from other franchises if they had a particular song that would fit the stage, Hidden Village (Twilight Princess)

Lil Mac
The Ring - Punch Out
*The Ring is, well, a boxing ring, and is an interesting level due to its unique rules...if you touch the ground outside the ring, it counts as a K.O. You can also lose normally if you're thrown off the screen, but it adds a new difficulty since even good jumpers may touch the floor and lose a life.
*The main stage, the ring, is a flat stage surrounded by ropes, and if you're thrown into a rope you'll slightly bounce off of it back towards the center. You can also stand on the pillars of the ring on the left and right. Apart from that, the stage is rather small (final destination size), and free of gimmicks.
*The stage has tons of audience members in the background cheering you on, including a host of Punch Out characters, and there's a scoreboard in the background showing the current score like the Pokemon Stadium Level. There's also members of the press snapping pictures, a popcorn vendor, etc. It's a very lively level.
*When playing as Lil Mac, Doc Louis appears to cheer you on. If multiple people are playing as Lil Mac, well, he just cheers all of them on. Lil Mac can also utilize a unique taunt, similar to Fox, Falco, and Wolf in their levels and Snake in Shadow Moses in Brawl, where Doc Louis will provide commentary to Lil Mac on one of his opponents.
*Music would include Main Theme (Punch Out), Main Theme (Punch Out Wii), and Training Theme (Punch Out)

I think that, with Wolf, when people think "Special B moves" they assume that ... well ... they will be "Special".

IMO if they changed the B moves for clone/ clone-ish characters they would make them far more unique to people.

Like for Wolf ... why not just give him completely unique B moves? Why does he have to have Fox's Bs but with his own twist? Or why not mix and match cloned B moves from other characters and give him his own twist on them? They seemed to go out of their way to make him different to Fox yet too much alike at the same time.

That's why I'm hoping for more clones (more clones = more characters with less time being spent so why not) and that part of the customization is in the moves themselves. No one would care about characters being clones if you can simple pick different moves for them that arnt the normal ones.

Wolf is fine as is. It's not like he's got a lot of stuff you could use to make a unique moveset, he's been in 3 games 'fer Christ's sake. Also, he's pretty great. That blaster is the business. What's the matter, scared?

Yeah, this is where I'm coming from. Zelda isn't my favorite Nintendo series (don't let the avatar fool you), but it still feels wrong having a character as iconic to the company as him stay as a clone of Falcon. It's probably already been suggested but even giving his old moveset to someone more relevant to the captain like Black Shadow would be a nice compromise to those who really don't want to see it axed.

This is exactly what needs to happen. Black Shadow would be very welcome in this game for that exact purpose. Make Melee Ganondorf into Black Shadow, and create new characters for LttP/FSA Ganon and TP Ganondorf.

Gravijah

you can give wolf unique moves, the games aren't an issue. it's not like FIRE BURST and SUPER FAST MOVEMENT are a part of the games.

you can give wolf unique moves, the games aren't an issue. it's not like FIRE BURST and SUPER FAST MOVEMENT are a part of the games.

My point was more that it's fine either way. Give him unique moves, keep him the same, it doesn't matter much, the 'essence' of Wolf (lol) will be intact either way.

Final Smash aside I felt Wolf was pretty well separated from Fox and Falco, the latter of which I felt was separated decently enough from Fox in Brawl. I mean, his moves despite aesthetically looking similar still acted very different to his heroic counterparts. Krystal would've had more original moveset potential but Wolf's a more classic and likable character, and since a SF reboot is quite possible Krystal may not even be relevant to the series by the time the next Smash comes out.

It was more just a weird issue of Star Fox not being as big at the time as it was when say, 64 or Melee came out yet having 3 reps while in comparison to other franchises such as Metroid which had had a huge comeback of sorts after Melee merely got a transformation for Samus and little else.

FreeMufasa

They should make it 3D like power stone and really play about with environmental change. Would lead to some crazy parties. I hope they don't try to make it super serious like Melee. I love melee but it's not going to be topped. The first was whacky and with Brawl they tried to bring that back but made something in the middle.

A whacky 3D party fighter for the WiiU and a port of Melee with online for the 3DS would be perfect, of course it's not going to happen though.

Snakeyes

They should make it 3D like power stone and really play about with environmental change. Would lead to some crazy parties. I hope they don't try to make it super serious like Melee.
How was Melee "serious" outside of tournament play (which no one forced you to partake in)?

Gilby

My suggestion: get rid of Sakurai. It seems like every wrong decision in Brawl was his choice, and he shoehorned in as many of his characters as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom