• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ROB I guess?
Pit's face makeover?
bowser's gums?
Link zelda gandorf? *lol*
a facelift for marth
fox's butt?

Ahh true. :p

Wait, Marth got a facelift?

Yeah ... not sure what your point is. I never equated Mewtwo coming back to Lucario being replaced. Regardless of what happens to Lucario Mewtwo should come back.

Mewtwo is very different from those Pokemon. He is a singular Pokemon, a legendary. When you see Mewtwo on something it's THE Mewtwo.

And on top of that he's an antagonistic Pokemon so I'm not sure why you would expect him to be treated like cute/ cool common breeds of Pokemon.

I was simply using it because people are dead set on Lucario being replaced.

And yes I know about legendaries... and yet there have been legendaries being reused a lot lately (Celebii comes to my mind).

Personally I couldn't care less about a stretched out fetus clone of a flying fetus :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think they should leave Toon Link alone...

And make normal Link the one they change up a bit, with all his athleticism and such from Skyward Sword and bowling bombs.

Oh yeah...

Why not a warlord from Pokemon Conquest as a character? Nobunaga!

Kai or bust!
Wakka wakka!

tumblr_mbqzd4T6mr1r6fyyao1_500.jpg

Boss Doggie

Though I guess Smash is averse from using historical figures like Nobunaga and Tokugawa.

Swell, the size of Jupiter, and they will actually fuze into a new Gen 6 Pokémon Mewcario, respectively.

What's horrible is that you bet your ass there's a mewcario image out there.

I was simply using it because people are dead set on Lucario being replaced.

And yes I know about legendaries... and yet there have been legendaries being reused a lot lately (Celebii comes to my mind).

Personally I couldn't care less about a stretched out fetus clone of a flying fetus :p

Well, yeah. Regardless of what happens to Mewtwo Lucario should be replaced by a new "latest gen" Pokemon. It really wouldn't make much sense for him to stay and for one of the 2 newest gens to not get a rep.

And different legendary Pokemon are used for different jobs. Like Celebii ... it's thing is "time travel" and it's a cute lil Pokemon so it's very easy to slap into stuff.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Though I guess Smash is averse from using historical figures like Nobunaga and Tokugawa.

What's horrible is that you bet your ass there's a mewcario image out there.

Eh, I decided to google mewcario for fun, and I found this image.

186658.jpg

Also it have a lot of images from Brawl.

Javier

Well, yeah. Regardless of what happens to Mewtwo Lucario should be replaced by a new "latest gen" Pokemon. It really wouldn't make much sense for him to stay and for one of the 2 newest gens to not get a rep.
I honestly don't get this. What's the basis on the mentality that Lucario can't co-exist with whatever "Latest Gen" Pokemon they decide to use?

Heck, how can we be sure they'll even use a "Latest Gen" Pokemon?

KevinCow

Banned
I hope they expand on all the control options they had in Brawl. Like give me the option to set one button to always do tilt attacks and another button to always do smash attacks. Because maybe it's just me, but I always have trouble doing tilts in the heat of battle.

Since we're gonna have to change to a new button layout anyway, I'd like to set it up to something like PS All-Stars. B jumps, Y does tilts, X does smashes, A does specials.

Watch Da Birdie

So, I was thinking about Alt Costumes the other day...

And something I think would be neat is if the Alt Costumes were all basically the Smashers Cosplaying as other, lesser Nintendo characters. I assume that'd be viable since it'd be the character models simply wearing different clothing.

Like, for example, Zero Suit Samus would wear a hawaian t-shirt and nerdy glasses like Nick, while normal Samus' costume would be rainbowy with the visor turned into shades so they'd be Nick and his alternate ego, Captain Rainbow.

And then stuff like Ness wearing Mike Jones outfit + slicking his hair up, Donkey Kong wearing a yellow full-body jumpsuit to resemble Doshin, and Jigglypuff with the outfit and pompadour of J from EBA.

GamerSoul

That's a great idea but i doubt they would really put time into that sadly. They'll probably use their time creating more Generic enemies for the even longer story mode heh. The lack of info is making me bitter :3 i feel like i should do something every time Sakurai tweets a picture of his cat.

I honestly don't get this. What's the basis on the mentality that Lucario can't co-exist with whatever "Latest Gen" Pokemon they decide to use?

Heck, how can we be sure they'll even use a "Latest Gen" Pokemon?

Why do you think Lucario was put into brawl in the first place?

To represent the latest generation of Pokemon. Just like how P&M where gonna rep the 3rd gen of Pokemon.

By the time Smash 4 comes out we will have a 6th gen of Pokemon ... so why exactly would Lucario stick around when there's 2 new gens of Pokemon that can take that spot? How many Pokemon do you think will be added? Enough so that we can have a 4th/ 5th/ 6th gen rep? Why not a 3rd gen since it's the only one to not get a PC at this point?

I think he will be replaced for this simple reason. He's not one of those iconic 1st gen Pokemon that everyone knows and loves that helped build the franchise, he's a generation mascot that was added in because he was the newest marketing Pokemon. Kinda like how Pichu was the 2nd gen's mascot and made a logical choice for a new comer/ clone. Sakurai and GF will have 2 new generations of Pokemon that will need representation (and from the looks of it GF has a good chunk of the say in what happens with Pokemon in Smash) so IDK if keeping Lucario around would be high on the list of things they want to do.

This is also exactly why I think Ike will be replaced with Chrom. Anything that seems to be in because it's new and important to w/e the newest thing is seems like a prime choice when thinking about things that can be replaced.

I hope they expand on all the control options they had in Brawl. Like give me the option to set one button to always do tilt attacks and another button to always do smash attacks. Because maybe it's just me, but I always have trouble doing tilts in the heat of battle.

Since we're gonna have to change to a new button layout anyway, I'd like to set it up to something like PS All-Stars. B jumps, Y does tilts, X does smashes, A does specials.

One of the great things about Smash is having all those sort of attacks tied to the one button, it's kind of what makes it easier to handle for new players while also adding that little bit more depth, I can't say I have trouble pulling either off myself.

Though the new button layout does leave me wondering how this will all be handled.

w00tkins

I've tried the pro controller and it feels pretty great. Can't wait to use it in smash.

And I'm glad you can use the R-button in Brawl to grab, cause the Z-button on my wavebird seems to be dying :(
Probably from all that grabbing I do.

Boss Doggie

I think he will be replaced for this simple reason. He's not one of those iconic 1st gen Pokemon that everyone knows and loves that helped build the franchise, he's a generation mascot that was added in because he was the newest marketing Pokemon. Kinda like how Pichu was the 2nd gen's mascot and made a logical choice for a new comer/ clone. Sakurai and GF will have 2 new generations of Pokemon that will need representation (and from the looks of it GF has a good chunk of the say in what happens with Pokemon in Smash) so IDK if keeping Lucario around would be high on the list of things they want to do.

In this post we see how one person underestimates Lucario's popularity.

Now that I think about it, PSA didn't have tilts - I guess that's why I felt triangle attacks were pointless.

Button jumping have been in Smash though. And separating tilts and smashes kinda undermines the idea that various attacks can be done in a single button.

Javier

Why do you think Lucario was put into brawl in the first place?

To represent the latest generation of Pokemon. Just like how P&M where gonna rep the 3rd gen of Pokemon.

By the time Smash 4 comes out we will have a 6th gen of Pokemon ... so why exactly would Lucario stick around when there's 2 new gens of Pokemon that can take that spot? How many Pokemon do you think will be added? Enough so that we can have a 4th/ 5th/ 6th gen rep? Why not a 3rd gen since it's the only one to not get a PC at this point?

This is also exactly why I think Ike will be replaced with Chrom. Anything that seems to be in because it's new and important to w/e the newest thing is seems like a prime choice when thinking about things that can be replaced.
I'm not fully convinced the 6th Gen of Pokemon will even exist when Smash 4 comes out. Smash 4 could come out as early as Late 2013, and I don't see the next mainline Pokemon before 2014. So saying that we'll have two new gens of Pokemon by then is kind of a longshot.

The reason why I don't see Lucario leaving is because the character has proven to be popular after all these years. I can't think of a single 5th Gen character that deserves the spot more than him. Everyone says Zoroark, and I don't doubt GF tried to make him the "Lucario" of the 5th gen, but in the end it kinda backfired, because Lucario certainly stood as the more popular Pokemon while Zoroark was just kinda... there.

And if GF has a say in what happens to Pokemon in Smash (which I don't doubt they do), then I'll say Lucario has a pretty big chance of staying. First, Lucario is prominently featured in some of the B&W2 anime promos for the game, even moreso than Zoroark. They also moved Riolu from a character you get in late/postgame to a character than can be captured before the first gym. Almost everybody is using Lucario in B&W2.

I'm not saying Lucario is a shoe-in for Smash 4, but I certainly don't think we should take his exclusion for granted. We know very little of the game's development and what Sakurai intends to do with it.

As for Fire Emblem, I think that series could use three reps. It's one of Nintendo's longest running series and it just got a popularity boost in Japan thanks to FE 3DS. Ike could easily stay alongside Chrom.

Watch Da Birdie

5bYzx.png

I just want this guy in.

Seeing him fight Mewtwo would rock since they're basically counterparts...hell, I hope his film next year has him face off against Mewtwo.

Thores

wait wait wait

could we potentially have a digimon vs pokemon scenario in this game?

who owns digimon?

Namco Bandai does.

But I seriously doubt it's going to happen. At least, not in this game. Maybe Nintendo and Bamco can have a talk about making that its own game (also not super likely imo).

Boss Doggie

wait wait wait

could we potentially have a digimon vs pokemon scenario in this game?

who owns digimon?

Bamco (Bandai side).

Despite what many people think (and much like how your average non-Pokemon person think), Digimon is a game first before anime albeit as a virtual pet.

I'd only want Shoutmon though.

ffdgh

Hmm never took into consideration that Pokemon vs Digimon could be theoretically possible.
KuGsj.gif

Lucario can finally fight his clone renamon.
yes I know she came first.

Macka

I'm starting to get Smash 4 cravings. With that comes the inevitable pondering of which new characters will be included, and who (if any) will be removed.

First of all, I want Mewtwo back. He should have never been taken out in the first place, and replacing him with Lucario was a joke. I know there's rumours that Zoroark would be the new Pokemon in that slot, but it seems unlikely to me, as Zoroark's ability in the Pokemon games is to create illusions. He appears as another Pokemon in your party until he gets hit, and how would that translate to Smash, considering everyone can see your character selection? If they really have to have a representative from the latest generation of Pokemon, why not just update the Pokemon Trainer? Instead of the Kanto starters, he can use the Unova ones. Done.

Some more female characters would be nice. The Fire Emblem series really needs a female representative, and there's really only one choice there - it has to be Lyn. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch either, since she was an Assist Trophy in Brawl. I guess Rosalina/Daisy could join, although I don't think they are really needed. Dixie Kong?Krystal can join the Star Fox lineup, and with her staff from Adventures, she could have a fairly unique moveset.

I'm a big Golden Sun fan, so I'd love to see Isaac (or Matthew) included in the roster. Dark Dawn wasn't too long ago (and it seems destined for a sequel, assuming it didn't bomb), so the series is relevant enough. Isaac is also another character who was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, which can only help his cause. I mean I'd love to see more GS characters, but that would be pushing my luck.

This might be wishful thinking, but I'd like to see an Advance Wars character in the game, and Andy seems like the most logical choice. He could be a Pokemon Trainer style character, commanding his Units from a distance. I'm sure they could find a way to make it work.

As for third party characters, I'd love to see Mega Man.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm starting to get Smash 4 cravings. With that comes the inevitable pondering of which new characters will be included, and who (if any) will be removed.

I know how you feel. E3 2011 to E3 2012 was just easy and fine with me because I can tolerating with one year, but I didn't expect that I have to tolerate with 2 YEARS which is just annoying. Nintendo shouldn't announce SSB4 at E3 2011 at all, even they were looking for more workers. It's just dumb move by Iwata to force people to wait for the news.

First of all, I want Mewtwo back. He should have never been taken out in the first place, and replacing him with Lucario was a joke. I know there's rumours that Zoroark would be the new Pokemon in that slot, but it seems unlikely to me, as Zoroark's ability in the Pokemon games is to create illusions. He appears as another Pokemon in your party until he gets hit, and how would that translate to Smash, considering everyone can see your character selection? If they really have to have a representative from the latest generation of Pokemon, why not just update the Pokemon Trainer? Instead of the Kanto starters, he can use the Unova ones. Done.

Well, Mewtwo were supposed to be in Brawl, but according to the rumor that he was cut out because they were adding Sonic last minute. I would be fine with one or two months delay to get those last 4-6 last characters, but whatever.

I'm not sure how I would feel Pokemon Trainer changing their pokemons, since I love original RED. IF they are going with updated pokemon then I'm okay with it. I prefer to not see that changed.

Some more female characters would be nice. The Fire Emblem series really needs a female representative, and there's really only one choice there - it has to be Lyn. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch either, since she was an Assist Trophy in Brawl. I guess Rosalina/Daisy could join, although I don't think they are really needed. Dixie Kong?Krystal can join the Star Fox lineup, and with her staff from Adventures, she could have a fairly unique moveset.

I think Palutena or Medusa have better chance to be in the game, along with Dixie and Krystal. I admitted that I don't want other star fox character but I can see it coming and many fans would have meltdown when they find out that we are getting other Star Fox character.

I'm a big Golden Sun fan, so I'd love to see Isaac (or Matthew) included in the roster. Dark Dawn wasn't too long ago (and it seems destined for a sequel, assuming it didn't bomb), so the series is relevant enough. Isaac is also another character who was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, which can only help his cause. I mean I'd love to see more GS characters, but that would be pushing my luck.

I would love that too. I want to see Isaac, Felix or Matthew to become playable character for SSB. I would be fine if they decide to go with Alex.

This might be wishful thinking, but I'd like to see an Advance Wars character in the game, and Andy seems like the most logical choice. He could be a Pokemon Trainer style character, commanding his Units from a distance. I'm sure they could find a way to make it work.

Andy or Sami would make sense. I pegged to have Andy as playable character in Brawl, but this time I wouldn't. I will be happy if they surprise us with Andy.

As for third party characters, I'd love to see Mega Man.

Mega Man. I would love to have him in SSB4, but Crapcom don't give a shit about him.

In this post we see how one person underestimates Lucario's popularity.
No, I'm not underestimating his popularity.
I'm simply pointing out why he was added and why he may very well be replaced by w/e new Poke GF wants to push for the 5th/6th gen that could and should be in for the exact same reason Lucario got in. (To show off the new gen and promote it)

I'm not fully convinced the 6th Gen of Pokemon will even exist when Smash 4 comes out. Smash 4 could come out as early as Late 2013, and I don't see the next mainline Pokemon before 2014. So saying that we'll have two new gens of Pokemon by then is kind of a longshot.
No, it's not a long shot.

Saying Smash 4 will get out there by this time next year is reasonably hopeful wishing. But looking at the current state of Pokemon, the pace at which the anime is moving, the fact that they have been cramming legendary Pokemon into these movies and the anime which leaves Genosect as the last one get a movie in the next year and looking at the general time line of game releases ... yeah, many people are expecting a new gen revealed and released in 2013.

The reason why I don't see Lucario leaving is because the character has proven to be popular after all these years. I can't think of a single 5th Gen character that deserves the spot more than him. Everyone says Zoroark, and I don't doubt GF tried to make him the "Lucario" of the 5th gen, but in the end it kinda backfired, because Lucario certainly stood as the more popular Pokemon while Zoroark was just kinda... there.

And if GF has a say in what happens to Pokemon in Smash (which I don't doubt they do), then I'll say Lucario has a pretty big chance of staying. First, Lucario is prominently featured in some of the B&W2 anime promos for the game, even moreso than Zoroark. They also moved Riolu from a character you get in late/postgame to a character than can be captured before the first gym. Almost everybody is using Lucario in B&W2.

I'm not saying Lucario is a shoe-in for Smash 4, but I certainly don't think we should take his exclusion for granted. We know very little of the game's development and what Sakurai intends to do with it.

As for Fire Emblem, I think that series could use three reps. It's one of Nintendo's longest running series and it just got a popularity boost in Japan thanks to FE 3DS. Ike could easily stay alongside Chrom.

But you, for some reason, seem sure that there wont be a new gen revealed or released before Smash 4 comes out. I'm asking, what if that happens? What if we get a gen 6 Pokemon game revealed and released before Smash 4 comes out? I'm sure we can all agree that Lucario was added in to rep the "latest gen" at the time, much like Ike and Pichu. Would Lucario transcend his role and just be in "because ...?" or would GF and Sakurai look at things and say "hey, 2 new gens of Pokemon have come out between brawl and now. Lets swap out Lucario in favor of w/e new anthro looking Pokemon being used to promote the current gen as to pass the torch and highlight these new gens"?

I mean, damn ... Pichu's still used to promote tons of stuff be it in the form of the anime, toys/ merchandise or games years after it was used to promote the 2nd gen ... but I'm sure we can all agree we don't expect a Pichu return. It's not an effective rep for any gen outside of the 2nd, just like how Lucario is simply not a 5th gen or 6th gen rep.

As for FE getting 3 blue haired swordsman ... I would hate for that to happen. I said it before, it's like only using Pikachu and different gen versions of Pikachu to rep Pokemon, it's so limiting it pains me to think of that. The series is so big and interesting that if it ever gets more characters than 2 it should atleast use characters that highlight how diverse the units are. A lance/ axe/ mage character would far more interesting. Heck, a trickster/ hero/ warrior class character would be pretty interesting.

But, with that said, I simply expect any character that reps "the latest" to be replaced by some other character that can rep "the current latest".

Javier

No, it's not a long shot.

Saying Smash 4 will get out there by this time next year is reasonably hopeful wishing. But looking at the current state of Pokemon, the pace at which the anime is moving, the fact that they have been cramming legendary Pokemon into these movies and the anime which leaves Genosect as the last one get a movie in the next year and looking at the general time line of game releases ... yeah, many people are expecting a new gen revealed and released in 2013.
A single Pokemon? Maybe. The whole games announced AND released by 2013? I doubt that.

But you, for some reason, seem sure that there wont be a new gen revealed or released before Smash 4 comes out.
Read my post again. I never said i was "sure", just not convinced. You sure love to twist other's opinions to your convenience.

I'm asking, what if that happens? What if we get a gen 6 Pokemon game revealed and released before Smash 4 comes out?
If that happens, we could get a 6th Gen rep, but that doesn't mean Lucario is out.

Nice to see you're open to the possibility Smash 4 could come before Pokemon 6th Gen, though.

I'm sure we can all agree that Lucario was added in to rep the "latest gen" at the time, much like Ike and Pichu. Would Lucario transcend his role and just be in "because ...?" or would GF and Sakurai look at things and say "hey, 2 new gens of Pokemon have come out between brawl and now. Lets swap out Lucario in favor of w/e new anthro looking Pokemon being used to promote the current gen as to pass the torch and highlight these new gens"?
Who knows? Again, my point isn't that a 5th/6th gen Pokemon won't get added, is the fact that we don't know if Lucario is a goner for sure. Sakurai can be completely unpredictable in that regard.

I mean, damn ... Pichu's still used to promote tons of stuff be it in the form of the anime, toys/ merchandise or games years after it was used to promote the 2nd gen ... but I'm sure we can all agree we don't expect a Pichu return. It's not an effective rep for any gen outside of the 2nd, just like how Lucario is simply not a 5th gen or 6th gen rep.
Nobody expects Pichu to return because he was a clone and a joke character. Lucario is neither of those.

As for FE getting 3 blue haired swordsman ... I would hate for that to happen. I said it before, it's like only using Pikachu and different gen versions of Pikachu to rep Pokemon, it's so limiting it pains me to think of that. The series is so big and interesting that if it ever gets more characters than 2 it should atleast use characters that highlight how diverse the units are. A lance/ axe/ mage character would far more interesting. Heck, a trickster/ hero/ warrior class character would be pretty interesting.
Put in a fourth character then. I agree the diversity of the series should be showcased, but at the same time, there's no reason Marth, Ike and Chrom can't have completely varied movesets, even if they all use swords. Heck, Ike wields Swords and Axes in FE10, so why not incorporate that?

But, with that said, I simply expect any character that reps "the latest" to be replaced by some other character that can rep "the current latest".
That's fine. I just don't take that for granted.

qq more

Read my post again. I never said i was "sure", just not convinced. You sure love to twist other's opinions to your convenience.

This is what he does. He has done it to me before. Soon he'll probably purposely ignoring 95% of what you've wrote as the argument goes on.

Thores

He also thought Nintendo was going to have something about Smash to show at E3. :3

MOST OF YOU DID.

Even amongst the people who did, he was one of the only ones that thought that we were absolutely, without a doubt going to get a full CG trailer for the Wii U version.

Though I do think his Gen 6 predictions are a bit more grounded in reality. For a Japan release, anyway. The expedited Event Legendary reveals make a Fall 2013 JP / Spring 2014 international 3DS release somewhat likely.

Mr. Fix

He also thought Nintendo was going to have something about Smash to show at E3. :3

MOST OF YOU DID.

Nah. I assumed that was only a minority of people who thought that. It was kinda evident given how premature it sounded when it was announced in 2011.

Mewtwo, Lyn, Isaac, and Megaman in one post? You, I like you. I really hope Sakurai makes the decision to go for Isaac though, assuming he's the one with the majority of influence in character selection.

I completely forgot about Rosalina. We need more BBWs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom