• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeyes

As for FE getting 3 blue haired swordsman ... I would hate for that to happen. I said it before, it's like only using Pikachu and different gen versions of Pikachu to rep Pokemon, it's so limiting it pains me to think of that. The series is so big and interesting that if it ever gets more characters than 2 it should atleast use characters that highlight how diverse the units are. A lance/ axe/ mage character would far more interesting. Heck, a trickster/ hero/ warrior class character would be pretty interesting.

Agreed.

Speaking of Tricksters, isn't Anna one in Awakening? That would make her a good candidate: recurring character, doesn't use a sword and makes the roster less of a sausagefest.

ffdgh

Should have a time limit like Peach's float.

Yup my thoughts too.....tho peach with endless float would be soo good XD.

ANd yeah meta was the true abuser of it....and it not like he really needed it and to be able to use it twice thanks to his up b >_>

o_0 wut. Is she like the fattest female Mario character or something?

Well, if Mario Kart is anything to go by, Rosalina indeed is one of the heaviest of all the female characters. She was "Large" class in MKWii (which is the heaviest class), and though not the heaviest character in it, she is the only girl in it, and thus the heaviest of the female cast.

And she is "Cruiser" class in MK7, which is the second heaviest class, and only outweighed by Honey Queen, who was introduced with that game and is Heavy class.

Furthermore, she is the tallest of the females in total.

Maybe they should put Isaiah "Triforce" Johnson in the next smash bros. Assist trophy that waits in line until the round ends.
The swine prevents any other AT's from being used for the rest of the match.

Balanced for everyone but Charizard. Also, Mario should've been able to glide.
He really should, I mean he has the cape on him for one thing.

I bet it's them star bits

She's full of Snacky Happiness

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I remember the stories about the Rosalina AT. So much misinformation being spread round back in the day.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Mario Cape isn't even how it works in the game. It should be a twirling attack with invincibility frames.

GamerSoul

Well, if Mario Kart is anything to go by, Rosalina indeed is one of the heaviest of all the female characters. She was "Large" class in MKWii (which is the heaviest class), and though not the heaviest character in it, she is the only girl in it, and thus the heaviest of the female cast.

And she is "Cruiser" class in MK7, which is the second heaviest class, and only outweighed by Honey Queen, who was introduced with that game and is Heavy class.

Furthermore, she is the tallest of the females in total.

Thanks for the info. Hehe she's the thickest of the bunch.

A single Pokemon? Maybe. The whole games announced AND released by 2013? I doubt that.
Well I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree because you don't seem interested in looking at my reasons. We shall see when Feb comes around.

Read my post again. I never said i was "sure", just not convinced. You sure love to twist other's opinions to your convenience.
Really? You're gonna moan about semantics?
" So saying that we'll have two new gens of Pokemon by then is kind of a longshot."
That plus the "I'm not fully convinced" bit make it clear that you don't think it's a likely outcome (At least in my experience people don't call thing's they're sure will happen "long shots").

Gonna lump up these next ones.
If that happens, we could get a 6th Gen rep, but that doesn't mean Lucario is out.

Nice to see you're open to the possibility Smash 4 could come before Pokemon 6th Gen, though.
First off, I'm 100% "sure" gen 6 will be revealed and out before Smash 4 is released. We can have a deeper talk about that but you don't seem interested and this isn't the best place to do that.

And may I ask you, why do you think Lucario was in Brawl? It seems clear to me that it was because of promotion for the 4th gen games and that's it. Musch like how P&M were gonna be in to rep the 3rd gen games, they would both be used to rep the games that came out after the last smash. Take that away and I see him much like Pichu, a mascot for a generation of Pokemon that's no longer the latest/ current push for GF/ Nintendo and has already been repped. He's not iconic like the 1st gen Pokemon that have been in Smash and he would be 2 gens past being an important mascot.

Who knows? Again, my point isn't that a 5th/6th gen Pokemon won't get added, is the fact that we don't know if Lucario is a goner for sure. Sakurai can be completely unpredictable in that regard.
I'm simply listing reasons why I think it's very likely that he's gonna be replaced by a new mascot so that we can have a discussion about it. No one's really giving me a reason to doubt it though, other than "Sakurai's unpredictable" which seems more like hope than conviction.

Nobody expects Pichu to return because he was a clone and a joke character. Lucario is neither of those.
All melee clones other than Doc and Pichu returned (or was planned to return in Roy's case) in Brawl with varying levels of changes to make them more unique. And having "joke" characters is pretty common in fighting games with large rosters, Sakurai knew exactly what he was doing when he made Pichu hurt himself so neither of those points stand up. It would have been simple to bring Pichu back but he had lost his reason for being in smash now that the 2nd gen was no longer the latest and had already been repped in melee. So he was simply never planned to be in Brawl as a character and was adsorbed into Pikachu.

Put in a fourth character then. I agree the diversity of the series should be showcased, but at the same time, there's no reason Marth, Ike and Chrom can't have completely varied movesets, even if they all use swords. Heck, Ike wields Swords and Axes in FE10, so why not incorporate that?
You know who else can have completely varied movesets? Pikachu, Pichu, P&M, Pachirisu and Emolga. Doesn't mean it's the best thing to do for such a big and interesting series.
For Ike, until someone proves otherwise, I think it's very clear that he was in Brawl not because he was Marth level important to the series but because he was the latest main guy. A case very much like Lucario's. And now there's a new latest guy who is likely gonna be in Smash.

That's fine. I just don't take that for granted.

Even amongst the people who did, he was one of the only ones that thought that we were absolutely, without a doubt going to get a full CG trailer for the Wii U version.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought it a sure thing, just happened to be one of the few people willing to argue about it with some a-hole in this thread.

But hell, everyone who expected something of interest from Nintendo's E3 seemed to have their hype train smacked into a wall so I'm not sure what that's suppose to say about me other than I expected Nintendo to go HAM on the E3 before the WU comes out :p

Javier

Well I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree because you don't seem interested in looking at my reasons. We shall see when Feb comes around.
Wait, February?

Where's that Seinfeld GIF when you need it?

Really? You're gonna moan about semantics?
" So saying that we'll have two new gens of Pokemon by then is kind of a longshot."
That plus the "I'm not fully convinced" bit make it clear that you don't think it's a likely outcome (At least in my experience people don't call thing's they're sure will happen "long shots").
That's because I'm not sure at all.

Again, twisting my words.

First off, I'm 100% "sure" gen 6 will be revealed and out before Smash 4 is released. We can have a deeper talk about that but you don't seem interested and this isn't the best place to do that.
Why even bring it up then? You're obviously not talking about it in this thread.

I'm open for private chat, though. PM me and I'll give you my AIM. I don't bite.

And may I ask you, why do you think Lucario was in Brawl? It seems clear to me that it was because of promotion for the 4th gen games and that's it.
He was also quite popular at the time and his design and moveset loaned itself well for a game like Smash. His popularity hasn't really diminished since then, so even if he was just a promotional character back then, that doesn't mean he hasn't gained mainstay status.

Musch like how P&M were gonna be in to rep the 3rd gen games, they would both be used to rep the games that came out after the last smash. Take that away and I see him much like Pichu, a mascot for a generation of Pokemon that's no longer the latest/ current push for GF/ Nintendo and has already been repped. He's not iconic like the 1st gen Pokemon that have been in Smash and he would be 2 gens past being an important mascot.
But you're taking away all the things that separate Lucario from Pichu. It's not really much of an argument if all you're going to say is "Tell me why Character X will return, excluding this, this, this, this, and that".

I'm simply listing reasons why I think it's very likely that he's gonna be replaced by a new mascot so that we can have a discussion about it. No one's really giving me a reason to doubt it though, other than "Sakurai's unpredictable" which seems more like hope than conviction.
Dude, we're speculating about a game we know NOTHING about outside of the fact it's being made by a guy in colab with another company.

I'm getting tired of repeating myself, but my point isn't that there won't be a new Gen Pokemon character. You have made valid points for such an inclusion, but that's no proof the previous gen character will be removed. None at all. You're not giving me any reason to doubt that.

All melee clones other than Doc and Pichu returned (or was planned to return in Roy's case) in Brawl with varying levels of changes to make them more unique.
None of the other clone characters were jokes in the level Pichu was, though. Ganondorf DEFINITELY didn't deserve clone status back in Melee. Neither did Falco and Roy, albeit to a lesser extent.

Young Link also didn't return, btw. But I'm glad his replacement was an actually different character.

And having "joke" characters is pretty common in fighting games with large rosters, Sakurai knew exactly what he was doing when he made Pichu hurt himself so neither of those points stand up. It would have been simple to bring Pichu back but he had lost his reason for being in smash now that the 2nd gen was no longer the latest and had already been repped in melee. So he was simply never planned to be in Brawl as a character and was adsorbed into Pikachu.
Melee was a game that took 11 months to make. Sakurai is on record saying the game was extremely rushed to have it ready for Gamecube launch, to the point he worked 20+ hours a day without a single day off. When you make a game with such deadlines, specially one with multiple playable characters, of course some are going to end up clone and joke characters. Pichu was likely added to Melee because Sakurai needed spaces to fill and with Pichu being a popular Gen 2 Pokemon that basically played like an existing character, it was an easy pick.

Had Sakurai had a whole other year to develop Melee, we would have probably gotten a much different roster, with Solid Snake, King Dedede, Wario instead of Dr. Mario, and more unique versions of Ganondorf and Roy (since by then Roy's game would have been out).

Pichu would have probably never made it in the game in the first place. And if a 2nd Gen character would have been required per GF's request, Sakurai could have picked a different Pokemon (like Totodile).

You know who else can have completely varied movesets? Pikachu, Pichu, P&M, Pachirisu and Emolga. Doesn't mean it's the best thing to do for such a big and interesting series.
OK, now you're going way too far. Marth, Ike and Chrom is somewhat viable. The five Pokemon scenario you mention is not just ridiculous, but flat-out stupid.

For Ike, until someone proves otherwise, I think it's very clear that he was in Brawl not because he was Marth level important to the series but because he was the latest main guy. A case very much like Lucario's. And now there's a new latest guy who is likely gonna be in Smash.
Guy, you can't prove otherwise either. You can make a case, sure, but until you can post solid evidence to support your claims you can't ask to be "proven otherwise". That's not how it works.

I mean, I think a reason why Ike won't be removed is because he was the first FE Lord in Smash that was actually from a game that was released worldwide, so for Western fans of the series he's kind of a nice addition. But I'm not using that as "proof" of anything.

I still think the best way to showcase the variety of the FE series is to add a summoning item exclusively for the FE series (Rescue Staff, anyone?). Essentially an Assist Trophy with only FE characters.

qq more

This one, Javier?

qt8uv.gif

And LOL @ February. Not doubting it completely but where did you even get THAT from? Wait, I shouldn't ask. It's Black-Wind.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
And LOL @ February. Not doubting it completely but where did you even get THAT from? Wait, I shouldn't ask. It's Black-Wind.

I think what he meant that he is predicting that we will hear something about 6th Generation of Pokemon Game

So, what game should the Bowser's Castle stage be modeled from?

To be honest, I would love to see Mario 3 Airship, and Super Mario World Castle.

qq more

I think what he meant that he is predicting that we will hear something about 6th Generation of Pokemon Game

Oh, fair enough. But even then, why act so 100% sure about a prediction and then criticize others for doing the "same thing" (even though they really weren't doing that at all)? Kind of hypocritical of him if you ask me.

Wreck it Ralph for Smash?

He won't be a DK clone, I swear!
That'd be actually awesome and really fitting.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I had a weird idea today.

So, before, I've posted my idea of the differences I'd like to see between the 3DS and WII U versions, with the 3DS being focused on the single-player, more casual experience while the Wii U version would go more hardcore, with focus on multi-player and such.

But what if they went a different route with the 3Ds version...and made it a whole new game, game-play wise, so there'd be more of an incentive for buying two versions.

Personally, and this is after beating Kid Icarus Uprising, I think it'd be pretty interesting if Sakurai used a model of the multi-player mode in that, made it more focused, and produced a 3D-movement Smash. Like, for example, Mario could fire off fireballs when long-range, defend with his cape, and then when up-close strike foes with his hammer for melee attacks.

Macka

On the topic of Lucario, I do think he is more likely to be removed from the roster than a lot of the other characters. I think it's fair to say that the main reason he was included in Brawl was because he was the marketable Pokemon of the 4th Gen, so there isn't as strong a reason for his inclusion in Smash 4.

Look at it this way: how many characters per franchise do you guys expect to see? I would say around four. We know that Pikachu is a definite, so that would leave three spots to be filled. Pokemon Trainer, Lucario AND Jigglypuff can't all make it in, considering there will definitely be a new Pokemon representative.

qq more

Pokemon had 5 characters before.
Not that I agree with the guy but:
64 only had 2
Melee only had 4
Brawl only had 4 (6 if we're going for more than just slots)

...Then again, you may be onto something anyhow. There were 2 cut slots for Pokemon and 1 cut slot for Zelda in Brawl...

I have a feeling certain franchises will have more than 4 slots this time.

Javier

The only Pokemon with a 100% chance of being in is Pikachu. For everyone else a case can be made that said character may not return.

There's also the possibility that the Pokemon Trainer may be updated with 5th/6th Gen Pokemon. It's an interesting theory, and not too far-fetched.

Jigglypuff is not nearly as bulletproof as we once thought, as the final roster decisions for Brawl revealed she barely made it into the game.

Wait, February?

Where's that Seinfeld GIF when you need it?

Just a simple google would get you this ...
"A silhouette of a new Pokémon was shown by Junichi Masuda on the February 7, 2010 episode of Pokémon Sunday, stated to be in the film for the summer and to be identified in a future episode on February 21.[43] This new character would also be featured in the March 2010 issue of CoroCoro Comic available on February 15, and is the start of the fifth generation of the Pokémon franchise. Since then, the character has been named "Zoroark" "

"Pokémon Black Version 2 and White Version 2 ... The games were first revealed on the February 26, 2012, episode of the Japanese television program Pokémon Smash!,"

Not only is that a time people expect to hear about a 2013 game, it's also around the time people expect to get info on the next Movie starring Genesect that we know nothing about (Actually, I think that's more Jan. Don't keep up with the movie news much).
If there's gonna be a new mainline game out by next year then it's likely gonna be revealed by Feb/ early 2013.

Not sure what's hard to gather about that if you keep up with Pokemon stuff ... but hell, I do have a Pikachu as my ava so I can't really expect everyone to talk about Pokemon news and speculation.

That's because I'm not sure at all.

Again, twisting my words.

You seem pretty adamant in not thinking it's likely to me and you seem to have put some level of thought into it to call it a long shot but w/e, you can moan over semantics if you please.

Why even bring it up then? You're obviously not talking about it in this thread.

I'm open for private chat, though. PM me and I'll give you my AIM. I don't bite.

Why bring what up? The thought that there will be 2 gens between brawl and 4 is pretty important when talking about Pokemon in smash I would think. You kinda left a bomb and ran away by doubting and showing no interest in what I had to say about it.

He was also quite popular at the time and his design and moveset loaned itself well for a game like Smash. His popularity hasn't really diminished since then, so even if he was just a promotional character back then, that doesn't mean he hasn't gained mainstay status.

But you're taking away all the things that separate Lucario from Pichu. It's not really much of an argument if all you're going to say is "Tell me why Character X will return, excluding this, this, this, this, and that".

He was popular because he was the mascot. He didn't win some design poll like Pikachu, they made him to be the face of the 4th gen. Which is exactly why he got in.
And on top of that you seem to over look some important things about Pichu ... he's still massively popular and actually USED by the Pokemon Company to promote important things. It's easy to over look because he's not a "cool mon" like Lucario but the series does have a large child base and Pichu has never stepped back from the promotional/ merch side because he sells to this cute crowd. Just look at the pass few years, you have a "Pikachu colored Pichu (shiny Pichu)" give-a-way for HG/ SS. You need that Pichu to get a Pichu with a cute ear defect and unique sprite that's traveled through time! Pokemon Ranger game, guess what? You get a Pichu as your partner ... and he plays a Ukulele?!? Ukulele Pichu!

And all of them have appeared in the anime through either shorts or specials or w/e (along with the Pichu bros and their line of shorts).
I could keep finding things that show that Pichu's still a mainstay in the Pokemon promotion machine and compare that to w/e. But Lucario's special ... because he's cool and somehow fits into a game that has 3 rubber balls as characters, one of which is broken.

Oh, and regardless of how loved you think Lucario is ... I surely hope you're not implying he stands with the 1st gen Pokemon that are and have been in Smash. Or maybe "mainstay" means something else, idk.

Dude, we're speculating about a game we know NOTHING about outside of the fact it's being made by a guy in colab with another company.
...K, so?

I'm getting tired of repeating myself, but my point isn't that there won't be a new Gen Pokemon character. You have made valid points for such an inclusion, but that's no proof the previous gen character will be removed. None at all. You're not giving me any reason to doubt that.

I never said that you thought there wouldn't be a new gen Pokemon. But what I have been doing is showing you that there seems to be pattern with replacing Pokemon and that there's a connection to be made between Pichu and Lucario.

None of the other clone characters were jokes in the level Pichu was, though. Ganondorf DEFINITELY didn't deserve clone status back in Melee. Neither did Falco and Roy, albeit to a lesser extent.

Young Link also didn't return, btw. But I'm glad his replacement was an actually different character.

Toon Link is young Link ... unless you're gonna tell me Link was replaced with TP Link.

I never said clones were jokes or deserved being clones or w/e you're saying. If you actually look at the games Pichu has the lowest base stat total of all Electric-type Pokémon. His smash incarnation is true to this and even take the self harming factor from the anime. When I say Joke Character I mean this . It's common place in fighting games to have a character that was MADE to be the weakest so that fans can use them for bragging rights or lulz.

Melee was a game that took 11 months to make. Sakurai is on record saying the game was extremely rushed to have it ready for Gamecube launch, to the point he worked 20+ hours a day without a single day off. When you make a game with such deadlines, specially one with multiple playable characters, of course some are going to end up clone and joke characters. Pichu was likely added to Melee because Sakurai needed spaces to fill and with Pichu being a popular Gen 2 Pokemon that basically played like an existing character, it was an easy pick.

Sigh, what does that have to do with joke characters? I don't think you get that term.
And yeah, the same could be said for all the clones. No, really, every clone in Melee was added because not only did they make sense but because Sakurai wanted an easy way to fluff the roster.

Had Sakurai had a whole other year to develop Melee, we would have probably gotten a much different roster, with Solid Snake, King Dedede, Wario instead of Dr. Mario, and more unique versions of Ganondorf and Roy (since by then Roy's game would have been out).

Pichu would have probably never made it in the game in the first place. And if a 2nd Gen character would have been required per GF's request, Sakurai could have picked a different Pokemon (like Totodile).

I love how you assumed Pichu wouldn't have made it in place of something like Totodile without any bit of logic.

OK, now you're going way too far. Marth, Ike and Chrom is somewhat viable. The five Pokemon scenario you mention is not just ridiculous, but flat-out stupid.

Are you saying that between those Pokemon there are not enough interesting ways to swing tails, headbutt and shoot electricity to make them unique to each other though they look alike?

Guy, you can't prove otherwise either. You can make a case, sure, but until you can post solid evidence to support your claims you can't ask to be "proven otherwise". That's not how it works.

Lets see, had the 2 latest FE games aka Ike's game/games not come out would he have been in Brawl? Where they the latest games in the series by the time Brawl was made? Is he as famed and important to the series as Marth? What's there to debate?

I mean, I think a reason why Ike won't be removed is because he was the first FE Lord in Smash that was actually from a game that was released worldwide, so for Western fans of the series he's kind of a nice addition. But I'm not using that as "proof" of anything.

That's good, cause that's an extremely particular stance.

I still think the best way to showcase the variety of the FE series is to add a summoning item exclusively for the FE series (Rescue Staff, anyone?). Essentially an Assist Trophy with only FE characters.

Well, I guess we're done. Have a good one.

Oh, fair enough. But even then, why act so 100% sure about a prediction and then criticize others for doing the "same thing" (even though they really weren't doing that at all)? Kind of hypocritical of him if you ask me.

I'm "sure" from looking up info, looking at the state of things with the series and the 3DS as well as looking at the past gen jumps in the series.

I haven't seen one good reason to think Smash 4 will beat a new gen of Pokemon to the market or that it would at least beat the reveal of a 6th gen Pokemon mascot. Even Thores agrees that when you look at it, a new gen in 2013 fall seems somewhat likely ... and I don't think we have every seen eye-to-eye on anything. The person you're talking about hasn't shown me a pattern or any evidence to support that.

Hey, I'm wrong allot and I own up to that, but at least I do put in thought and research into my predictions. You all remember my sureness that Nintendo would try their best to wow us at E3 which turned out to be completely wrong ... but I'm sure few of you remember the thread were I had a long ass debate with a someone over the likely-hood of a next gen Nintendo handheld coming out anytime soon after they announced BW. A week later I was proven right with the announcement of the 3DS.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, before, I've posted my idea of the differences I'd like to see between the 3DS and WII U versions, with the 3DS being focused on the single-player, more casual experience while the Wii U version would go more hardcore, with focus on multi-player and such.

Wouldn't that go against what Smash is? The idea is that it is a casual fighting game, but with hidden depth.

I would argue Toon Link is Young Link. It's basically the same character, just the natural progress in his own series. Just like Melee's OoT-styled Link got Twilight Princess'd for Brawl.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd argue toon/young Link is Link and Link is adult Link but hey Smash Bros always seems to pop up whenever an adult Link has starred in a Zelda game so he always gets the default role.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hugh should be playable in Smash and he steamrolls everyone by using his rage and his final smash involves accusing the enemy of stealing his little sister's Purrlion.

It's like he can't tell if he want to be one of the more aggressive rivals like Blue and Silver or your best friend like May/Brendan, Barry and the B/W1 duo.
So he gets bits of both with the main benefits of neither, has a bland team irritatingly reminiscent of the old B/W rivals and never shuts up about that damn Purloin to the point you'd think the main Plasma plot was based around his not so epic quest to get back some stolen cat probably obtained in the route by his house.
This theme music is wasted on him.

We need a rival that's actually a rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom