• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Sakurai

Samurai

I cracked the case! Takamaru confirmed!

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I will fight you.

It's the Mirror Shield. Something that, up until Uprising, was actually really important to the Kid Icarus mythos and I'd really it rather not get replaced.

Agreed.

Heck no, that means Samurai Goroh. The word is in his name!

Are you attempting to crack my cracked case? I analyzed the way the cookies crumbled, and noticed that F-Zero's crumbs are ignored by Nintendo. The Mysterious Murasame Castle's crumbs are currently being gathered by Pikmin and brought to Dr. Mario's lab for further research.

KevinCow

Banned
I will fight you.

It's the Mirror Shield. Something that, up until Uprising, was actually really important to the Kid Icarus mythos and I'd really it rather not get replaced.

Could the minuscule amount of story the first two Kid Icarus games had really be called "mythos"?

You know who I'd like in the next smash?

THE BABY

Assist trophy: Adam Malkovich.

He turns off all your B moves, and you can't use them until he authorizes them again.

And I'm still saying Pit's old moveset should go to Palutena. I'd like to see a new moveset where he could drop charged cannon shots and snipe with a staff.

That would be a disservice to Palutena, I think, because just look at how many potential moves she has on her own. The shroud of light she envelops herself in to move across the stage in your boss battle with her can be her recovery, those rapid-fire energy shots can be her neutral B, the pillars of light can be her side B......and then her down B can either be that homing light-shield that follows you or something I'm not creative enough to come up with. Then her non-special attacks can be things involving her staff and run-of-the-mill goddess power. See? Palutena's got it.

Hell, I'm even convinced making her Final Smash the centurion stampede would be a missed opportunity, because how fucking awesome would it be if she brought along her celestial pheromones to make all the characters sexually-frustrated? Or she could use the Power of Caging. >:) (But that'll never happen.)

(...damn, I love this character.)

That would be a disservice to Palutena, I think, because just look at how many potential moves she has on her own. The shroud of light she envelops herself in to move across the stage in your boss battle with her can be her recovery, those rapid-fire energy shots can be her neutral B, the pillars of light can be her side B......and then her down B can either be that homing light-shield that follows you or something I'm not creative enough to come up with. Then her non-special attacks can be things involving her staff and run-of-the-mill goddess power. See? Palutena's got it.

Hell, I'm even convinced making her Final Smash the centurion stampede would be a missed opportunity, because how fucking awesome would it be if she brought along her celestial pheromones to make all the characters sexually-frustrated? Or she could use the Power of Caging. >:) (But that'll never happen.)

(...damn, I love this character.)

You also have her Palutena Glam Blaster, and the non-canon Power of Maelstrom. She could also summon the Centurions (grunts, knights, strong-arms, juggernauts) like Dedede's Waddle Dee Toss. If you get really creative, you could even have her use Power of Flight to rocket people of the stage.

Could the minuscule amount of story the first two Kid Icarus games had really be called "mythos"?

Maybe? But there's not a whole lot for an old Kid Icarus fan to look for in Uprising--the gameplay is completely different, so I can try to look to how it used the established story (what little there was) and by and large, it doesn't--it sweeps a bunch of "baggage" under a bus to lay a clean slate. Otherwise, what else is an old Kid Icarus fan supposed to do, laugh and clap their hands every time they make an "lol NES" joke?

It's a game I have a love hate relationship with. I think it's a fun game to play with a wonderful cast of characters and writing but at the same time it bothers me that this was the Kid Icarus revival we got--one that plays nothing like the originals and makes poor use of what little established canon there was. I mean--Thanatos. If you have to tell me that this bouncing fat green guy is that snake Medusa kept shooting at me in the original then I think the game has kind of failed its job as being a send up of the original.

Though I suppose it could have been worse.

Don't mind me, these are just the grumpy rantings of an old Kid Icarus fan of days past in a fanbase that has long moved on.

....what was I even talking about? Oh yeah. Don't replace the Mirror Shield. His Side B can change (I don't care, it's made up junk anyway), but I reject the changing of the Mirror Shield or him losing the Centurions. Completely changing Pit around and dropping what few moves he has that reference the original Kid Icarus would be like the final nail in the coffin of excising the original two from continuity.

But no one likes those games anyway, right?

Palutena and all of the other parts of the Kid Icarus representation, go nuts, Uprising all the way. But I, at least, would personally prefer Pit to stay the way he is.

(I really like the original Kid Icarus games if you couldn't tell)

SmithnCo

Kid Icarus was pretty much a blank slate anyway. The first game is fun but the lore isn't exactly memorable. Uprising really expanded it in a good way, IMO.

Maybe? But there's not a whole lot for an old Kid Icarus fan to look for in Uprising--the gameplay is completely different, so I can try to look to how it used the established story (what little there was) and by and large, it doesn't--it sweeps a bunch of "baggage" under a bus to lay a clean slate. Otherwise, what else is an old Kid Icarus fan supposed to do, laugh and clap their hands every time they make an "lol NES" joke?

It's a game I have a love hate relationship with. I think it's a fun game to play with a wonderful cast of characters and writing but at the same time it bothers me that this was the Kid Icarus revival we got--one that plays nothing like the originals and makes poor use of what little established canon there was. I mean--Thanatos. If you have to tell me that this bouncing fat green guy is that snake Medusa kept shooting at me in the original then I think the game has kind of failed its job as being a send up of the original.

Though I suppose it could have been worse.

Don't mind me, these are just the grumpy rantings of an old Kid Icarus fan of days past in a fanbase that has long moved on.

....what was I even talking about? Oh yeah. Don't replace the Mirror Shield. His Side B can change (I don't care, it's made up junk anyway), but I reject the changing of the Mirror Shield or him losing the Centurions. Completely changing Pit around and dropping what few moves he has that reference the original Kid Icarus would be like the final nail in the coffin of excising the original two from continuity.

But no one likes those games anyway, right?

Palutena and all of the other parts of the Kid Icarus representation, go nuts, Uprising all the way. But I, at least, would personally prefer Pit to stay the way he is.

(I really like the original Kid Icarus games if you couldn't tell)

I think it's a good game. But it felt like a grind fest.

Kid Icarus was pretty much a blank slate anyway. The first game is fun but the lore isn't exactly memorable. Uprising really expanded it in a good way, IMO.

For the most part I actually like how Uprising expanded on stuff--the Lightning Chariot, the Aurum, the Forces of Nature, Pyrrhon (especially Pyrrhon), the whole deal surrounding souls, etc. And it's true, there really wasn't a whole lot there in the originals. I just take rather specific issue with A) the original main villain being reduced to a red herring to a newer villain that usurps her position retroactively (Hades' Treasure Hunt being just needless knife twisting) B) the 3 Sacred Treasures being treated like old junk that the replacement villain destroys in a cheap show of power, and C) Pit's characterization and character arc surrounding him being someone who can't do anything on his own, which is just at complete odds with the original two.

And I still don't know what they were doing with Thanatos. "He's totally that old snake enemy, based on nothing but the fact that we tell you he is."

Oh well, this is all off topic anyway.

Smash Bros.!

Apparently one of the upcoming DLCs for Fire Emblem: Awakening has Roy leading an army against Ike's army.

It's called "Smash Brethren." Thought that was neat.

fisheyes

Smash Bros.!

Apparently one of the upcoming DLCs for Fire Emblem: Awakening has Roy leading an army against Ike's army.

It's called "Smash Brethren." Thought that was neat.

Whichever army wins on your copy of the game is going to be saved to your 3DS, and will determine whether you can have Roy or Ike in your copy of SSB4. Choose wisely!

GamerSoul

Smash Brethren...I like it. lol. What a coincidence, I just started replaying FE 7 yesterday and it's still great. Damn I wish I could afford 3ds right now:/. And so far Lyn is more calm and collected than I have remembered. I still love her character and how she grows into a stronger leader from humble beginnings, kinda like my favorite guy, Ike. Imo, she was a great way to formally introduce FE to the west and I really hope Awakening is doing the same for newer players. I'd still take Chrom to replace Ike, Marth and then Lyn with Roy not far behind because he could be back. I'm really pulling for Chrom and Lyn's on my wishlist with the odds against her.

Shorts

Neo Member
Hey NeoGAF, I'm a user over at SWF, and I've been trying to get in contact with as many SSB4 communities as I can. I've hit up reddit, SWF (of course), Nsider2 (Prior to their SSB section closing) and now I'm here for you guys.

Anyways, I made this poll and I really just wanna hear this communities opinion on who they would like to see in SSB4. I apologize for the line up only being 25 characters. It sucks, I know. But I tried to get all the most popular choices on to the poll. Tell me what you think, and enjoy :3

The difference in character preference in the communities is crazy. In SWF, Dixie and Goroh are much more popular than they are over at Reddit. With Reddit, Geno and Zoroark are much more popular choices.

Edit: Theres only 25 characters because this is the only site I can find that blocks "double voting"

Thores

Hey NeoGAF, I'm a user over at SWF, and I've been trying to get in contact with as many SSB4 communities as I can. I've hit up reddit, SWF (of course), Nsider2 (Prior to their SSB section closing) and now I'm here for you guys.

Anyways, I made this poll and I really just wanna hear this communities opinion on who they would like to see in SSB4. I apologize for the line up only being 25 characters. It sucks, I know. But I tried to get all the most popular choices on to the poll. Tell me what you think, and enjoy :3

The difference in character preference in the communities is crazy. In SWF, Dixie and Goroh are much more popular than they are over at Reddit. With Reddit, Geno and Zoroark are much more popular choices.

Edit: Theres only 25 characters because this is the only site I can find that blocks "double voting"

Haha, your poll's actually already been linked in this thread, probably back when you first made it. The poll looked familiar, and then informed me that I had already voted.

King K. Rool and Palutena are my personal must haves, but Dixie and Krystal would also be splendicious to see.

Also Little Mac, even though they'd have to get pretty creative with his moveset. (And Mona, yes Mona! Her boss in solo mode can be Pizza Dinosaur!)

Not feeling Zoroark though, since going from Lucario to that thing would almost assuredly be a disappointment. Plus with Gen VI right around the corner he/she'll be old news by then.

SmithnCo

Voted, the results are interesting. I like the Mewtwo love.

Every character should have an alternate costume where they have a beard.

I would play bearded Jigglypuff.

Professor Palutena just got a whole lot more Professory.

tumblr_m32o92bN1b1r6h7u0o1_250.png

L Thammy

I see Saki, Palutena and Ghirahim, so I don't care. Voted.

Wasn't there that previous poll that Skull Kid won? The one that was supposedly going to Sakurai? What happened to that?

illadelph

Voted for Ridley, Little Mac, Mewtwo, Samurai Goroh, and Megaman

Shorts

Neo Member
Thanks for the votes you guys ~

Yeah, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, and Ridley always seem to be near the top. At the end of my 2010 poll, Mewtwo was numero uno. Ridley was number 1 in 2011, and K. Rool was 1st in 2012. I have a strong feeling that IF the reveal at E3 doesn't show Megaman, he's 2013's big character.

It's interesting to see each comminites love for certain characters. For example, Reddit really blasted up the Zoroark and Ghirahim votes. SWF had lot of Dixie and Samurai Goroh votes.

What characters around NeoGAF seem to be universally accepted? Is your community Pro Waluigi, or against generally?

Actually, I haven't seen much pro- or con-Waluigi around here. He's just kinda there.

The most vehemently opposed characters 'round these parts tend to be Geno and Krystal, and in the former's case, it tends to be the same two people raising a fuss (no need to name usernames right now, honestly). I'd be okay with both, personally, but I'm not sure who I really would be against inclusion of.

Ryce

Until Waluigi appears in a mainline Mario game (or a game of his own), he has no business being playable in Smash Bros. The role of an Assist Trophy is perfect for him. He just isn't an important character. The "we need someone to rep the sports games and spinoffs" stuff is nonsense; we already have Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, DK, Yoshi, and Wario for that. :p

Until Waluigi appears in a mainline Mario game (or a game of his own), he has no business being playable in Smash Bros. The role of an Assist Trophy is perfect for him. The "we need someone to rep the sports games and spinoffs" stuff is nonsense; we already have Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, DK, Yoshi, and Wario for that. :p
Would you really want to alter their existing movesets to shoehorn sports-based moves into them? Peach's existing side smash aside.

Honestly, just adding FLUDD to Mario made him feel totally alien to me.

Ryce

I wouldn't be surprised to see F.L.U.D.D. gone in favor of something from the Galaxy games. Luigi not having the Poltergust in Brawl was one of the bigger head-scratchers to me; hopefully with the release of Dark Moon Sakurai will rethink that decision.

ffdgh

Fludd was fun...with hacks but overall useless (for me). I prefered mario tornado as his B attack and spin jump as his D-Air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom