• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

Thanks for the votes you guys ~

Yeah, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, and Ridley always seem to be near the top. At the end of my 2010 poll, Mewtwo was numero uno. Ridley was number 1 in 2011, and K. Rool was 1st in 2012. I have a strong feeling that IF the reveal at E3 doesn't show Megaman, he's 2013's big character.

It's interesting to see each comminites love for certain characters. For example, Reddit really blasted up the Zoroark and Ghirahim votes. SWF had lot of Dixie and Samurai Goroh votes.

What characters around NeoGAF seem to be universally accepted? Is your community Pro Waluigi, or against generally?

I'm Pro-Waluigi

fuk da h8rs

My super-sensible new-character predictions:

Chrom - Not only is he the most recent Fire Emblem headliner, but his game is arguably the best in the series. Nintendo is on a Fire Emblem high right now and it'd be criminal for Chrom not to make the cut.

Dark Pit (Pitoo) - I expect more Kid Icarus love from Sakurai coming off Uprising, and Pitoo would be an easy tweak/palette swap for Pit

Mii - As much as Mario, Link, or anyone else, the face of Nintendo for the past many years. You might be limited to using just your Wii U/3DS system Mii, possibly with varying move sets depending on a Mii's size (as in Mario Kart Wii)

Pac-Man - If no other Namco character gets in, this guy should. He's a classic gaming icon and would make for a dream match against Mario.

Waluigi - He's in everything else, so it's probably time.

New Pokémon - From Pokémon X and Y, probably

My own Personal dream additions:

Fawful (Mario & Luigi series' comedy goldmine)
The Amazon (Pro Wrestling — his moves would be awesome to see in Smash)
Mega Man, Simon Belmont, Ryu & Ken (worthy gaming icons with Nintendo history)

Anth0ny

Until Waluigi appears in a mainline Mario game (or a game of his own), he has no business being playable in Smash Bros. The role of an Assist Trophy is perfect for him. He just isn't an important character. The "we need someone to rep the sports games and spinoffs" stuff is nonsense; we already have Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, DK, Yoshi, and Wario for that. :p

No newcomers in Smash 4 will be "important characters". They're going to need to get into assist trophy territory if they want any new characters in the game.

SmithnCo

I wouldn't be surprised to see F.L.U.D.D. gone in favor of something from the Galaxy games. Luigi not having the Poltergust in Brawl was one of the bigger head-scratchers to me; hopefully with the release of Dark Moon Sakurai will rethink that decision.

I was surprised it wasn't his Final Smash. Instead we got Luigi on a drug trip which... isn't bad I guess.

ffdgh

As much as I like dark pit, No. He would just be....dare I say a waste of a slot.

Now if they pull a doctor mario and tweak his moveset via selecting regular pit I'll take it.

And luigi's negative zone is random but oh so amazing especially on scrolling stages XD

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sakurai just revealed to me something really surprising today. Apparently he was eating lunch and had the idea that for the food item he's going to ask his developer buddies to cook a meal for each photograph. Can't wait to see what some of them cook up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
new food item? Drink of the gods the new heart container :p.

No, just the regular random food item that heals a bit of health. The ones that are just a flat photo that faces the camera no matter how much you rotate the camera. Since all the photos are SD they need to take some new HD ones.

The most vehemently opposed characters 'round these parts tend to be Geno and Krystal, and in the former's case, it tends to be the same two people raising a fuss (no need to name usernames right now, honestly).

Dude, I just don't understand why people like that character. AT ALL.

Sakurai just revealed to me something really surprising today. Apparently he was eating lunch and had the idea that for the food item he's going to ask his developer buddies to cook a meal for each photograph. Can't wait to see what some of them cook up.

This isn't GameFAQs, good Sir.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd say it's quite clearly more than two people who like to hate on Geno.

More like only two people here are in support of him HA HA HA.

I'd say it's quite clearly more than two people who like to hate on Geno.

More like only two people here are in support of him HA HA HA.

I'm not in support per-say of Geno, but since Mario really needs a 5th rep to fill up the gap Dr. Mario's cut left I'd take a surprise pick like him or Rosalina over somebody dull as hell like Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi or a paperfied-version of Mario. Plus he'd pave the way for a ton of cool SMRPG remixes.

or goombella

fisheyes

Toad, Bowser Jr, and Paper Mario are all more important than Waluigi.

Based on whatever your arbitrary system for determining 'importance', sure.

I'm not arguing for or against Waluigi (I like him and generally use him in the Mario spinoffs, but he's certainly not a required 'Nintendo all star'), but asserting that, for example, a Mario variant who has starred in four games is without doubt more important than a character who has been playable in 31 games since his debut in 2000 (assuming wikipedia has it right) based on your own logic for who or what is important is pretty dumb, really. Who knows if the development team see it the same way - hell, if they even care about who is more 'important', which based on many of the selections in the past, they possibly don't.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Krystal is nostalgic? wut

Actually, I haven't seen much pro- or con-Waluigi around here. He's just kinda there.

The most vehemently opposed characters 'round these parts tend to be Geno and Krystal, and in the former's case, it tends to be the same two people raising a fuss (no need to name usernames right now, honestly). I'd be okay with both, personally, but I'm not sure who I really would be against inclusion of.

*wink*

L Thammy

Geno is Super Mario RPG's "anime cool guy". If it was a more traditional RPG, he'd be the one with high speed, low health, two katanas a black trenchcoat. He's Shadow from Final Fantasy 6, Frog from Chrono Trigger, and Balthios from Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

That's why people like him.

Dude, I just don't understand why people like that character. AT ALL.

'Cuz this:

FYAeD25.jpg

(I love Krystal but if Namco's goal when drawing that was to incite an internet furry explosion...well, it worked.)

which starfox character's feet would you rather lick

Don't all the Starfox characters have metal legs?
“Legless pilots can handle more Gs than their legged bretherin. When gravity forces blood from the brain to lower extremities, it causes the pilot to black out. But if you have no legs to force blood to, more blood can stay in the brain, and it’s easier for the heart to pump blood back to the brain.

“Their legs were probably voluntarily amputated as these are all trained pilots. Their futuristic society allows for prosthetics that allows them to walk and run normally so there’s no loss in performing these amputations.”

Geno is Super Mario RPG's "anime cool guy". If it was a more traditional RPG, he'd be the one with high speed, low health, two katanas a black trenchcoat. He's Shadow from Final Fantasy 6, Frog from Chrono Trigger, and Balthios from Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

That's why people like him.

That and I think people started hyping him up in an annoying "Chuck Norris" kind of way. I do wonder that when Sakurai said there was a character they didn't have legal clearance to use, he might have been talking about Geno.

I agree with Astrosanity that he would be a cool "left field" pick, and as far as I know, he's got a pretty notable fanbase in the US and Japan (although aside from the retro characters, I think crazy character picks are more in line with Capcom not Sakurai). At the very least get Forest Maze in there.

'Cuz this:

(I love Krystal but if Namco's goal when drawing that was to incite an internet furry explosion...well, it worked.)

I was talking about Geno, not Krystal.
I know why people like Krystal, but I'm not into furry tits, and she basically personifies the downfall of Star Fox (just like Shadow does with Sonic), so I just can't stand her.

Plus, people constantly bring up the staff, but she doesn't even use it in the series EXCEPT for the Tutorial in Adventure (which was an atrocious game btw).

I do wonder that when Sakurai said there was a character they didn't have legal clearance to use, he might have been talking about Geno.

Did he really directly say "legal clearance"?
Because I remember that he said working with Game Freak was really difficult, so I always thought he was referring to one of the cut Pokemon characters.

Also, I'd argue it was Rare's goal to incite a furry fandom, not Namco's; if anything, Namco's is more modestly dressed (which says more about Rare's outfit for her than anything else).

It's funny how things work out, in my mind back when Adventures first released I looked at Krystal's attire with the mindset of...
- Dinosaur Planet has an ancient tribal focus, the scrappy loincloth and such attire makes sense for Krystal thematically speaking, if she's supposed to be an attractive character it's for an obvious love interest role for Fox and to a lesser extent so he has more ummm motivation to get her out of that crystal she's trapped in.

Then for Assault...
- She's basically wearing the female equivalent of what other characters like Falco and Leon are wearing, you know, tight spacesuit things.

Yep, I never saw anything wrong with either design and quite frankly even to this day I don't have an issue with it, I mean considering the anthro style SF has what would you be expecting a female fox to look like?
Of course most here in this thread have a bigger issue with her actual debut correlating to the series decline which I can understand but lets face it most of the hate elsewhere for the character is seemingly focused on fear of the furry, i'd say that says more about them than Krystal.
Not that she's in my most wanted character list or anything but I can't say i've ever had a problem with her at all in design or character, the bigger problem is the succession of weak entries into the series, i'd only give SF two characters anyway and that's Fox and Wolf.
Still light years better than Geno mind you.

The silent judgement.

KevinCow

Banned
I think it's less about what she's wearing in Assault and more about her pose in that picture.

Character art for all the male characters: Standing there, holding a weapon, ready for battle.

Character art for Krystal: Contorted into the most ridiculous pose just so both her ass and tits are both visible from the same angle.

And it also doesn't help that her outfit goes out of its way to accentuate her breasts, and her pants are the same color as her skin fur so it kinda looks like she's not even wearing any.

I guess I just don't read too much into it, I can see why it bothers some to an extent but I just figure she's always supposed to be a moderately sultry styled action girl character in general, but she's like not human and stuff so it weirds the hell out of people.
Falco also has these odd poses in his assault renders, one where he's like standing in a slanted "fabulous" pose and another combing his pretty boy feathers like he's on the cover of fabulous feathers monthly*, Falco for male furry icon confirmed.

* actual magazine may not exist, sorry Boss Doggie

Boss Doggie

At least she's not showing a certain toe of a camel.

Falco also has these odd poses in his assault renders, one where he's like standing in a slanted "fabulous" pose and another combing his pretty boy feathers like he's on the cover of fabulous feathers monthly*, Falco for male furry icon confirmed.

Oh I know that.

Man his 3D model is a fucking twig.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
like he's on the cover of fabulous feathers monthly*

And I was so certain it was once a guest publication on Have I Got News For You.

"
████████
confirmed for Smash!"

Oh I know that.
Man his 3D model is a fucking twig.
He has not time to work on those muscles when he has to tend to his space style.

good god the renders of that game was terrible

I still have no adequate way to describe Leon's pose, Sassy?

And I was so certain it was once a guest publication on Have I Got News For You.

"
████████
confirmed for Smash!"

What sorcery is this spoiler?!

My avatar comes from Fabulous Feathers monthly.

Boss Doggie

good god the renders of that game was terrible

Actually some work, like the Star Wolf trio and Slippy. But yeah the others are weird.

I've linked this before, but eh. Concept art is much nicer.

Now that's better looking, and not just because of the visible torso outline! Also he doesn't look like a deformed bird like in Command.

KevinCow

Banned

Maybe, but he also doesn't have a bright blue extra large bulge and isn't thrusting his hips forward in all of his character renders.

Put your pants back on, Doggie.

Character art for all the male characters: Standing there, holding a weapon, ready for battle.

Character art for Krystal: Contorted into the most ridiculous pose just so both her ass and tits are both visible from the same angle.

But that's art-for-mainly-male-audience 101!
Just look at any given cover of a comic book, video game or action movie that has a female character on it!

Reminds me of Hawkeye Initiative.

Boss Doggie

Is talking about Star Fox now part of the cycle? Because I feel deja vu that we've talked about the space furries before.

Maybe, but he also doesn't have a bright blue extra large bulge and isn't thrusting his hips forward in all of his character renders.

Put your pants back on, Doggie.
But I'm not doing anything at all D:

But that's art-for-mainly-male-audience 101!
Just look at any given cover of a comic book, video game or action movie that has a female character on it!

Reminds me of Hawkeye Initiative.
Yeah this.

Shorts

Neo Member
Personally, I'm a big Krystal fan. But not because of the whole hawtfurry thing. I just genuinly like her. I played as her in SFA when I would play Co-Op, so, I like her. And YES, Krystal has major sex appeal, so what? Look at ZSS. She's just as much of a femme fatale. There's a reason her suit somehow contorts perfectly around her tits. Look at Peach, she's got like, boarder line D cups in brawl. So, the sex appeal means nothing negative for her addition. Really, when people complain about most characters, all they're saying is "I don't like that character". Krystal is important ENOUGH, popular ENOUGH, and her moveset is a double entendre. She can be a complete clone, or a staff wielding Dinosaur herder. Plus, Sakurai has a soft spot for SF~ Anyways,

I DO believe there is a certain amount of "importance", AND "popularity" a character needs to get into Smash. You may think that this it's silly to believe that, but really, there IS a reason behind all character's inclusion, besides just playstyle/movesets (Which is undoubtably a reason for a character to be added. There's a reason we have Bowser, not Wart, and there's a reason we got Ice Climbers, not Balloon Fighter. It's not just luck of the draw. Bowser is obviously the more popular, and important choice. With characters like Shiek, and Ice Climbers, they weren't neccisarily about those two things. There addition moreso lands in the "interesting moveset" catagory, IMO. These three reasons aren't the ONLY things Sakurai looks at, but they are something to take into account. For example, we know Sakurai had the idea of adding a retro, and that's part of the reason IC's were chosen. IC's were CHOSEN, because they fit the bill the best. I mean, we all know Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, Excite Biker, and Bubbles were passed up because they couldn't "do something" (In Sakurai's eyes, NOT MINE)

So yeah, you cannot throw Waluigi out SIMPLY BECAUSE he's a filler character, but it does say something about his chances. As does his obvious popularity, and his AT status.

Boss Doggie

He always have feather fingers.

I find it weird Namco/Nintendo would go with this render when you can clearly see his shoulder/armpits clipping with the rest of his model.

Also I hate all of Assault's costume changes.

I kinda like Slippy's and Star Wolf's costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom