• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably since Melee was made in 11 months? Only characters I remember being more requested than BK in Japanese character polls done on the original game's Dojo site were heavyhitters like Bowser, Peach and Dedede.

Or maybe the whole Rare buyout thing worked against them (since Rare had been shopping themselves around for years at this point); I know Loveday said awhile ago on Scribes that there were a ton of Rare-related statues in the game including more overt references to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark before suddenly not winding up in the game.

GamerSoul

Number 1 would be easily LAUGHING DOG or DUCK HUNT DOG.

2) Takamaru
3) King K. Rool
4) Isaac
5) Tom Nook
6) Palutena
7) Shulk
8) Banjo-Kazooie
9) Joanna Dark

It was tough for me to decide with final 9. I would love to see Little Mac, Mega Man, Phoenix Wright, Mike Jones, and many nintendo characters that haven't shown for long time.

Some of you guys are putting Agent Dark on your list and I must say that would be a crazy ass day if she was ever revealed. Like "is this real life" type stuff.

1)Captain Syrup
2)Lyn
3)Little Mac
4)Takamaru
5)Sami
6)Ray MK
7)Tom Nook
8)Ridley
9)Chrom

Joanna Dark would be an amazing addition with the weapons of Perfect Dark, Super Dragon! Reaper Grinder! N Bombs! Combat Boost Final Smash!
And of course Daniel Carrington Assist who does nothing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ridley
Little Mac
Samurai Goroh
Palutena
K. Rool
Geno (HAH HAH SUCK SHIT)
Mega Man
Joanna Dark
Banjo-Kazooie

I honestly think the last two would've been shoe-ins and maybe even in Brawl's announcement trailer and then some if Rare hadn't been sold off.

Damn, I forget all about him. I would add him as well.

Joanna Dark would be an amazing addition with the weapons of Perfect Dark, Super Dragon! Reaper Grinder! N Bombs! Combat Boost Final Smash!

Yeah, I think I can come up with decent move set without real guns since they aren't allowed to be in smash.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Anyway, NINTENDO ONLY REALISTIC WISHLIST OMG

Rosalina
Genesect
Dillon
Mallo
Panther
SA-X (screw Ridley!)
Chrom
Palutena
Shulk

There we go.

I want:

Palutena
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Krystal
Duck Hunt Dog
Lucina
Mii
-Insert 6th Gen Pokemon here-

...and lastly but not leastly...

...RAWK HAWK.

XWV4OGE.jpg

I think the main issue with Brawl's line up was the distribution of unlockables and default characters. The only really valuable unlockables had to be revealed before launch due to their really strong marketing power (Sonic, Snake), so we were left with ROB, Wolf and toon Link as the only "new" characters to be unlocked, with every other unlockable character being a returning one.

I think the overall line up would have been seen with better eyes if they had managed to include something like Melee's clones, just to throw in a bunch of unexpected newcomers that weren't marketed alongside the main game.

I think you're correct, but it's a bizarre bit of perception clouding the reality of the situation. A new character is a new character, regardless of whether you were told about it before the game was released or not.

Regarding unlockables and secrets I've always felt that avoiding spoilers for a fighting game is just silly and emphasizing really difficult or time consuming unlocks is just bad game design--these are things you do once in a game that should be lasting you many, many, many, many hours. I mean, I unlocked the entirety of Brawl's roster in a approximately a day save for Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf, and I can't say that diminished my enjoyment of it at all. 99.9% of the time pretty much any Smash fan devotes to Smash is post character unlock anyway (and is true for most fighters in general).

I don't remember where I was going with this, just stating my opinion on the matter.

Mr. Fix

If they do can the SSE-esque campaign, they should at least keep the boss battles feature for whatever they decide to go with (like Adventure, or hell, even just Classic with bosses at intervals). Also up that shit to 4 players!

GamerSoul

Sigh if only. If Nintendo were to ever give a western developer like retro studios the go ahead to make another version of smash...then I can see this happening. Heck maybe even if they outsource some of the dlc to retro id like those chances lol

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sigh if only. If Nintendo were to ever give a western developer like retro studios the go ahead to make another version of smash...then I can see this happening. Heck maybe even if they outsource some of the dlc to retro id like those chances lol

But Perfect Dark IP is with Microsoft now.

L Thammy

Everything's possible, you're at the helm. Screw logic.

Which 9 characters would make it in?

Characters:
1. Saki (Sin and Punishment)
2. Medusa (Kid Icarus / Kid Icarus Uprising)
3. Pius Augustus (Eternal Darkness)
4. Wes (Pokemon Colosseum)
5. Somebody from Soma Bringer
6. Somebody from Famicom Detective Club
7. Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)
8. Training Koma (Jump ____ Stars)
9. Jesus of Nazareth (Time Twist)

Stages
1. EarthBound (Gigya, bound by the Devil's Machine)
2. Battle Clash (Atop a mecha in combat)
3. Rhythm Heaven (Stage changes based on music
4. Nintendo Land (Mixed-up level)
5. Eternal Darkness (Ehn'gha)
6. Pokemon Conquest (Some battlefield)
7. ExciteBots (Any racetrack)
8. Metal Mario's stage (Smash Bros 64 - just because I like them music)

Game sells two copies worldwide. All Japanese-exclusives on the list come out in North America;
I am the only one who buys them. Nintendo goes fourth party, with rumours of going fifth.

Village

1)[ a character that shall not be named]
2) Knight/ warrior of light or the black wizard from final fantasy 1
3)BowserJr.
4)Ashley w/ devil
5)Deoxys
6)Claus
7)Rosalina
8)Crankey kong ( OG donkey kong as a boss)
9)Eggman( as a boss)

qq more

That definitely looks like the Rhythm Heaven artist. I really like the style of that game! Although it's definitely no surprise some of the people (if not most) worked on both series given how they give me the same vibe and all.

Macka

- Felix/Isaac [Golden Sun]
- Alex [Golden Sun]
- Lyndis [Fire Emblem]
- Mewtwo [Pokemon]
- Genesect [Pokemon]
- Shulk [Xenoblade]
- King K. Ruel [Donkey Kong Country]
- Ridley [Metroid]
- Banjo Kazooie
- Mega Man

I know Isaac (or even Matthew) has the best chance of making it into the game, but I like Felix more! I'd love for him to be included as an alternate costume - doesn't matter if they have the same moveset, it actually makes total sense. I'd like this for a fair few characters actually - make Marth/Roy the same character and Chrom/Ike the same. New representation without removing old favourites.

Wichu

ShulkRiki (Xenoblade)
Fiora (Xenoblade)
Palutena (Kid Icarus)
Hades (Kid Icarus)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Neku (The World Ends With You)
Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
Deoxys (Pokémon)
Mii (Wii)

Guess what my favourite recent games are :p

Relevant stages:

Junks (Xenoblade)
Skyworld (Kid Icarus) (I know we already have this, but it could use an Uprising redesign)
Time Vortex (Chrono Trigger)
Scramble Crossing (The World Ends With You)
Spiral Mountain (Banjo-Kazooie)
Dragonspiral Tower (Pokémon Black/White)
Wuhu Island (Wii Sports Resort)
Good Egg Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy) because of awesome

Boss Doggie

I wish characters interact more than just fighting, like having them ride/piggyback on each other or something.

GamerSoul

I wish characters interact more than just fighting, like having them ride/piggyback on each other or something.[/QUOTE]

i know you're saying this because of the Banjo-Kazooie dynamic but o_0 l don't see how this would any sense but then there's tripping. I'm conflicted. What advantage could there be to having Bowser ride Peach? Fiery turnips? That sounds pretty cool actually.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I would at least want some sort of intro in classic mode where the characters slag each other off before the fight like other fighters even if most of them will end up like Link is Soul Calibur 2.

J-Tier

i know you're saying this because of the Banjo-Kazooie dynamic but o_0 l don't see how this would any sense but then there's tripping. I'm conflicted. What advantage could there be to having Bowser ride Peach? Fiery turnips? That sounds pretty cool actually.
Super Smash Bros 4
Pegi 16.
Rated M for Mature.

Includes excessive and unnecessary piggybacking.

I would at least want some sort of intro in classic mode where the characters slag each other off before the fight like other fighters even if most of them will end up like Link is Soul Calibur 2.

Why not? Link got piggyback rides in SC2 from everyone. He also gave out free spankings.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Logic wasn't screwed just groped vigorously...

Bald Bull
Duck Hunt Dog
Ridley
Captain Syrup
King K. Rool
Medusa
Takamaru
Ashley and Red
Team Koopa Kid (Something similar to how Pokemon Trainer was executed)

I went soft when I realized I ran out of roster slots for Samurai Goroh and Shulk. This list also assumes that Mewtwo is back.

Boss Doggie

I'd want the reveals to be like fighting games now - actual videos showing them while displaying some moves!

Oh nothing, just piggy-back riding :3

?oe?oe

We're doing character lists again? Yes!

Tingle [Zelda]
Kamek [Yoshi]
Ray MK II [Custom Robo]
Chibi Robo [Chibi Robo]
Isaac [Golden Sun]
Sheriff [Sheriff]
Kensuke Kimachi [1080/Waverace]
Duck Hunt Dog [Duck Hunt]
Waluigi [Mario]

A couple nice surprises, I think!

Snakey

One thing I find strange is that Little Mac has a ton of support (he is virtually tied with K. Rool on Shorts's poll), yet very little vocal support.

The other thing is Palutena. She pretty much shows how much popularity a female character can get even if all the stars align for them. I mean even if the diminished newcomer pool that Smash 4 has, she is overall the seventh most-wanted character for it.

By all the stars aligning I mean:
- Has had a recent game.
- Is largely deemed sexually attractive.
- Undoubtedly very important to her own series.
- Does not have a male counterpart that is seen as a higher priority than her within her own series.
- Is largely seen as bringing something completely different to the table in terms of moveset.
- Not divisive.

Especially in Palutena's case, she has had her game developed by Sakurai, so he is already personally aware of the character.

I mean with all of that Palutena still ranks at number 7 despite her being practically the picture perfect female newcomer. Though to be fair to her, she pretty much has more support than any other "new" character (though technically Palutena was created in 1987, she is basically a new character in terms of support due to her re-design and her vastly fleshed out personality from Uprising, and how basically nearly all of her support grew out from 2012).

Thinking about it all in general, the "wee need moar femalez" crowd is pretty much just a very vocal and loud minority, considering that aside from Palutena, the only other female characters with a large amount of support are Krystal and Dixie Kong, and even those two characters are miles behind Palutena (and a lot of other characters in general).

The "moar femalez" crowd usually does not bring up Dixie Kong (and sometimes not Krystal), but instead characters like Captain Syrup, Mona, Ashley or some sort of female FE character (support is divided for who it should be), and all those characters have far less support than even Dixie Kong (who has less support than Krystal, who has far less support than Palutena).

I just think its funny how depending on how loud people are you would think there exists far more numbers for them than there actually are, or depending on how quiet a character's support base is, their numbers can be vastly underestimated (see Little Mac).

Thores

Just wanna say that "prediction free wishlists" is a great idea.

Paper Mario
Tingle
Ridley
9-Volt
Shulk
Sukapon
Fire Emblem Awakening My Unit
Little Mac
Mega Man

Oh dang, no room for Palutena or Impa. Also huh, looks like there isn't a contender for "Pokemon newcomer" that I'm crazy about yet.

Vs Mitsu-AYAAAAAH!

This made me laugh, I always did this playing SC2 on the cube.

Anyway, my "Screw Logic" list :

Ghirahim
Demise
Palutena
Viridi
Hades
Mega Man
Wreck-it Ralph
Lyn
Takamaru

Doesn't really help that I've never played a Fire Emblem game, nor a Pokemon game beyond the first generation but I'm all for a retro character that's also a samurai, and Lyn seems really awesome.

Snakey

Also hope EVERYONE from Smash Bros' playable history returns (Pichu, Roy, Dr. Mario, Lucario, Ike, Sonic, Snake, etc) because I feel like; why take a character out? There are bound to be people disappointed their favorite character was removed (third parties may be different though).

I absolutely agree with this. Cuts are dumb. I mean just look at how high the demand for Mewtwo and Roy to return is (they are far more wanted than any other characters from their respective series as well). Any character that is cut from Brawl, is guaranteed to be among the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash 5.

Anyway, here is my Top 9 (I am not sure if cut veterans count, but I am going to throw them in anyway):

1. Ridley (main villain for the Metroid series, probably the most important Nintendo character not yet playable in Smash Bros.).
2. Mega Man (probably the one third-party character most synonymous with Nintendo than anything else).
3. Mewtwo (by far the most popular and iconic legendary Pokemon, and overall probably in the Top 3 most popular Pokemon ever.)
4. Roy (one of the most well-received and popular characters in Melee, helped popularize the FE series in the West, still is an iconic face to the FE franchise and most popular lord after Marth and Ike).
5. Little Mac (the main face to a Nintendo franchise that has had five installments to date, and been running since 1984).
6. Palutena (unlike practically every other female character that is not yet playable, she actually is likable and actually important to her franchise).
7. K. Rool (this fat crock has a lot of humor in him and lot to draw from for a moveset).
8. Takamaru (by far the best choice for a retro revival newcomer, and by far the best choice for a katana-user).
9. Toad/Paper Mario (I don't care who, Mario just really needs a newcomer, and both of those characters have very strong merits going for them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom