• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything's possible, you're at the helm. Screw logic.

Which 9 characters would make it in?
1. Waluigi (Mario)
2. Tingle (Zelda)
3. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
4. Little Mac (Punch-Out)
5. Mega Man (Mega Man)
6. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
7. Samurai Goroh (F-Zero)
8. Chrom (Fire Emblem)
9. Captain Syrup (Wario)
10. Shulk (Xenoblade)

So when given the opportunity to choose the impossible, you stick entirely with the possible?

Well, okay, I suppose it'd be unbecoming of me to tell you how to think :V

(although 10 > 9)

For a Fire Emblem character, I'd personally would like to see Leaf in if Roy doesn't get in.

Leaf has the ability to become a Master Knight. Not only does he have a sword, but he also has magic and many other types of weapons in his diposal that would make a fantastic move set.

Shorts

Neo Member
Instead of having wavedashing, why don't we just make connecting combos something easier to do. I hate wavedashing. It's hard for 99% of Smash players, and how you do it is ridiculous.

Mr. Fix

Instead of having wavedashing, why don't we just make connecting combos something easier to do. I hate wavedashing. It's hard for 99% of Smash players, and how you do it is ridiculous.

I quite like the game being spontaneous. It's like jazz. Especially some of the neat stuff you could pull off with Snake.

Shorts

Neo Member
I believe 8 million or more people bought Melee, no way even 1 million of them know how to succesfully integrate wavedashing into their playstyles. No way 500,000 people know how to either.

Shorts

Neo Member
Still, you get the point I'm making. Casual > Competitive. At Melee's height, most people probably have never heard of wavedashing.

Still, you get the point I'm making. Casual > Competitive. At Melee's height, most people probably have never heard of wavedashing.

I understand your point, as terrible as it is. You literally have no actual numbers to back up your claim that 99% of people don't know how to wavedash. You're only using hyperbole in order to sway people into backing up your argument against it because you don't like it. If you had come up with actual data to back up your claim instead of "THEY DON'T KNOW IT, SO THEY SHOULD SCRAP IT", then maybe I would actually give you some sort of respect. But instead, you've only made yourself look like a fool without a leg to stand on.

And those people, entirely ignorant of the mechanic, still loved the hell out of the game. Thus, you can build the game to make the competitive scene happy, and the casuals will still be happy because they don't even know what they're doing.

Shorts

Neo Member
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know wave dashing is a technical move. It's not talked about in Melee itself, and isn't in the handbook when you get the game. Most people probably don't know how to do it, because most people who play Smash are casual. I'm sorry I don't have numbers for you. So go ahead and assume the already scrapped mechanic is a widely used one.

I was just saying it would be better IMO to actually implement some sort of canceling system to string combos together, like MvC3 or BB.

@Karsticles: You're right. I agree with you completely. Just not a fan of the mechanic itself.

GamerSoul

Does it matter? Many fans have enjoyed Smash for their own reasons. It doesn't matter HOW a person enjoys it. #Don'tHateAppreciate

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How about instead of worrying about a move people can't even agree on whether it was an intentional or not, focus on the core moves that affect everyone. Would you be mad if they chose to change some characters' moves completely? It has been a long time since 1999 and some characters still have moves reflecting what they could back then rather than now.

How about instead of worrying about a move people can't even agree on whether it was an intentional or not, focus on the core moves that affect everyone. Would you be mad if they chose to change some characters' moves completely? It has been a long time since 1999 and some characters still have moves reflecting what they could back then rather than now.

I'm still mad they moved Mario's spin attack to air down+a.

Firestorm

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know wave dashing is a technical move. It's not talked about in Melee itself, and isn't in the handbook when you get the game. Most people probably don't know how to do it, because most people who play Smash are casual. I'm sorry I don't have numbers for you. So go ahead and assume the already scrapped mechanic is a widely used one.

I was just saying it would be better IMO to actually implement some sort of canceling system to string combos together, like MvC3 or BB.

@Karsticles: You're right. I agree with you completely. Just not a fan of the mechanic itself.
Why did you mention a game with wavedashing in your argument for removing wavedashing?

KevinCow

Banned

I'd welcome it. The characters from the first game seem really basic compared to a lot of characters introduced later, especially the ones in Brawl with their crazy recoveries and normals that could be specials.

I would welcome going back to the drawing board with them. Don't just change for the sake of change, but really look at the way their games have evolved. Samus, for instance. Smash 64 - and Melee, for that matter - came before the Prime and Fusion revival. If they put her in for the first time in Brawl or Smash 4, I doubt she'd be very similar to her current incarnation at all.

Why did you mention a game with wavedashing in your argument for removing wavedashing?

Come on. They have the same name, but wavedashing in Melee is completely different from wavedashing in MvC3.

MvC3: Dash. Cancel dash by crouching. Dash again. This can be done as soon as you know it exists, and mastered in just a few minutes, if that.

Melee: Jump, then immediately press shield while pushing the stick in a specific and obscure direction - not one of the 8 primary directions, but somewhere between sideways and diagonally down. This is hard to do the first time, and even harder to get good enough that you can do it in real matches.

Wavedashing in Smash is dumb and unnecessarily complicated. It's exactly the kind of unnecessary barrier to entry Sakurai was trying to avoid with the game's simpler control scheme.

I dunno, maybe embrace wavedashing and make it easier to pull off so that players more casual than those known to wavedash can get in on that action? I know I don't know how to do the move as-is, but it'd be interesting to see it more widespread and see how it impacts the game.

I'm thinking of Tribes and the whole "skiing" bug in the first game that the developer decided to design the subsequent entries around instead of fixing.

Melee: Jump, then immediately press shield while pushing the stick in a specific and obscure direction - not one of the 8 primary directions, but somewhere between sideways and diagonally down. This is hard to do the first time, and even harder to get good enough that you can do it in real matches.

Wavedashing in Smash is dumb and unnecessarily complicated. It's exactly the kind of unnecessary barrier to entry Sakurai was trying to avoid with the game's simpler control scheme.

But it's an advanced technique. Or glitch. The community still can't decide if it was intentional or not.

I thought Sakurai said it was an unintentional glitch, and went out of his way to remove it in Brawl? I'd think his input would be much, much more important than that of "the community", who weren't the game's developers.

YMMV on whether removing it was beneficial or not, but I thought it was obviously not an intended feature.

I thought Sakurai said it was an unintentional glitch, and went out of his way to remove it in Brawl? I'd think his input would be much, much more important than that of "the community", who weren't the game's developers.

YMMV on whether removing it was beneficial or not, but I thought it was obviously not an intended feature.

It's clear from an interview a while back that they found out about it while Melee was still in development and just didn't bother to remove it. But neither did they advertise it.

Shorts

Neo Member
Come on. They have the same name, but wavedashing in Melee is completely different from wavedashing in MvC3.

MvC3: Dash. Cancel dash by crouching. Dash again. This can be done as soon as you know it exists, and mastered in just a few minutes, if that.

Yus. Yus to all of this. Now, how would everyone feel about a fifth special being added? Assuming Namco fixes most of the useless specials / weaker specials a lot of characters have, like Jiggly's sing, and Zelda's crystal thing.

I've heard Brawl had L-Canceling in it at one point. I've also heard when people were beta testing it, at one point Mario was OP. Not sure if the latter is true or not, just something I've heard.

Maybe it's because I'm used to tri-jumping in Marvel (because it's performed the same way as Melee wavedashing if you set dash to a button), but it's not dumb or complicated at all.

Azure J

Maybe it's because I'm used to tri-jumping in Marvel (because it's performed the same way as Melee wavedashing if you set dash to a button), but it's not dumb or complicated at all.

Funny thing is, I got better at Wavedashing playing Marvel. I hardly ever used it when I played Melee. Marth's buttons were too good already. :lol

Re: More specials

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more Tilt B and Smash B attacks yet. I'm also convinced that the happy medium between Final Smashes and none of them is an EX A=B move. More powerful than anything else in the moveset but with lots more recovery. Also, none are guaranteed KOs from 0%.

McNum

Wavedashing either needed to be simplified or cut to fit with how easy pretty much everything else in Smash is to do. It's an execution barrier in a game priding itself in not having those. But that point became entirely moot when air-dodging became a momentum keeping spot-dodge instead of something you could aim. A change that I kind of like, but also one that makes being in the air a little too safe sometimes. But had it been in Brawl, it would probably have become semi-automatic like L-cancelling became the default recovery time on landing an air attack, removing the need to press L in the first place.

As for tripping, it could have potential if used properly. I'd say that when you hit over 100% damage, you should have a chance of tripping, but not before. Higher damage, bigger risk of tripping. It would encourage the losing party to lose faster, much like how Team Fortress 2 does it. Get the fight over with so a fresh stock can be sent in to use. Plus give the whole satisfaction of knocking the opponent so silly that he can barely stand. It would not be unlike stunning someone in Street Fighter, really. Your offense is forcing a disadvantageous state on the opponent so you can capitalize and do even more damage to a clearly outmatched foe.

And yeah, it's odd that A+B hasn't been used for anything. Would have been the best place for the Final Smash attacks, I'd think, instead of just B. You lose options with a final Smash store as it is in Brawl. And being superpowered should not be a disadvantage.

Azure J

The issue there with tripping being done like that is that you're kinda/sorta punishing people for losing and encouraging people to think only about rushing that shit down to get theirs and put people at the complete disadvantage.

McNum

The issue there with tripping being done like that is that you're kinda/sorta punishing people for losing and encouraging people to think only about rushing that shit down to get theirs and put people at the complete disadvantage.
Injured characters already climb back on stage much slower. But yes, I acknowledge that it can be seen as punishing the losing character. But it is in the interest of avoiding a a stalled match where an injured character runs away. Basically when a character hits 100% damage, he should not be long for this world. Get him KO'd, finish the match, start a new one. Round 2, fight!

It may be a little cynical for Smash to do this, though, as it is one of the friendlier fighting games, but in the interest of ending a fight quickly, especially considering that SSB4 will most likely have online play better than Brawl's, it'd be something worth looking at.

Shorts

Neo Member
Also, don't forget that Sakurai is DEFINITELY looking to help out weaker/new players this time around, so I don't see that tripping happening like that.

Also, don't forget that Sakurai is DEFINITELY looking to help out weaker/new players this time around, so I don't see that tripping happening like that.

Sakurai thought that tripping would help even out the skill difference between new players and more experienced players. How SSB4 will turn out is all up in the air.

Shorts

Neo Member
Sakurai thought that tripping would help even out the skill difference between new players and more experienced players. How SSB4 will turn out is all up in the air.

I was just referring to in the first SSB4 interview he talks about how players will be able to help one another throughout the game:

Closing off the little section offering vague hints about the new Smash Bros. games, Sakurai said that his aim with the 3DS version is to offer players a slightly different experience from conventional Smash Bros. games. He believes that there is merit in having skilled and unskilled players play together, so one emphasis will be on elements of players helping one-another.

And then earlier this week that article regarding online play makes it sound like you'll be able to fight people based on skill leve/how you want to play, instead of random people being thrown together all at once.

I was just referring to in the first SSB4 interview he talks about how players will be able to help one another throughout the game:

And then earlier this week that article regarding online play makes it sound like you'll be able to fight people based on skill leve/how you want to play, instead of random people being thrown together all at once.

So there may be some sort of ranking system then? That's interesting.

KevinCow

Banned

Smash uses analog controls and requires you to hold the stick between sideways and diagonally to get a decent wavedash, whereas Marvel uses digital controls so you just need to press diagonally. I'd say that's a pretty big difference.

It's also worth pointing out that Marvel is inherently a much more technical and input-dependent game, whereas Smash is supposed to have simpler inputs than typical fighters. So even if the inputs were identical, they still wouldn't really be the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom