• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Playing a hacked brawl with friends, quite fun. They didn't even notice DK was gone. Man no one uses DK. Anyways Idea, Different outfits in next smash?

Playing a hacked brawl with friends, quite fun. They didn't even notice DK was gone. Man no one uses DK. Anyways Idea, Different outfits in next smash?

Definitely. If Pokémon Trainer returns, I think he should have trainers from all six generations as his alt costumes/colours.

Gattuso

different outfits would be way better than having the usual same outfit different colors option for most characters.

Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Jigglypuff have their shiny colors as well. Lucario and Charizard are the only ones without their shiny colors I think.

Lucario could have really used a shiny alt though, he has the worst set of colors available this side of Sonic, at least in terms of being distinct from one another (his silver alt is alright).

Why do the Pokemon have fewer alts in Brawl than most characters anyhow? All the characters in Brawl have at least six, save for Sonic, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, and Jigglypuff, who only have five, and Pikachu, who gets a paltry four (and they removed his party hat, wtf).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The rules seem good to me.

How about assist trophies instead of stages?

I didn't think about that. Assist Trophies would be great idea.

Guessing Assist Trophies would definitely be more fun than items... but ATs returning might not be a sure thing. I think it's likely they'll come back, but it'd be kind of awkward if we get a tie, look to the tiebreaker predictions, and then it turns out that Assist Trophies don't exist in SSB4.

Yeah, it would. I think they will bring ATs back for sure but I will have AT as first choice of tie breaker, but if it's not there then we can go with stages.

Maybe we should have this system

ATs (limited 10)

then

Stages (Limited 10)

then

Items (Limited of 8)

I'm not sure how people felt about it but three tiebreakers would be great way to make sure that we will have only one winner unless they were wrong about all 3 tiebreakers.

DaBoss

I'm not sure if you are going to do this already, but I'm gonna suggest it anyways. If it comes down to a tie-breaker, I think you should have whoever is in the tiebreaker PM their choices to you. Would make it fair and lower the chances of another tiebreaker.

Gattuso

im going to start slowly compiling my roster but i fear both versions may have a slightly different roster or exclusive character. i don't fully expect the 3DS version to just be a 1:1 copy of the wiiu one.

DaBoss

im going to start slowly compiling my roster but i fear both versions may have a slightly different roster or exclusive character. i don't fully expect the 3DS version to just be a 1:1 copy of the wiiu one.

No way would they make exclusive characters. There's cross-play between the 2 versions.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm not sure if you are going to do this already, but I'm gonna suggest it anyways. If it comes down to a tie-breaker, I think you should have whoever is in the tiebreaker PM their choices to you. Would make it fair and lower the chances of another tiebreaker.

People can change the list so I prefer them to post it right there on thread so I can see that if they edited it or not. I will working on something to improve the result of tie breaker.

Well, if they are going with different rosters then I will have to set this one as Wii U only since Wii U is more of multiplayer SSB awhile 3DS would focusing on single player.

I want unlockable character intros, taunts, win poses, and victory themes.

Hell yeah. And make them unlockable through cool and unique ways, not just "Beat X mode with X."

Like, maybe have a SM64-inspired victory theme for Mario that's only unlocked by killing Bowser three times in a match with the spin-throw.

KevinCow

Banned
They'd be good rewards for the typical Sakurai challenge grid, as opposed to things like trophies which you'll look at once and then forget about. Just a nice way to add a little bit of customization to your character.

And stickers could be used for the online player card thing that's popular in fighting games.

DaBoss

Completely theoretically speaking, what would be your reaction if Ness didn't make an appearance in Smash 4?

I would be surprised first and then be sad. They just had a Mother 2 Resurrection Festival, I find it unlikely they will ignore Ness.

And Ness is an OG character in the Smash Bros series. Though Brawl shat on him lol.

Spinluck

That roster contest sounds fun.

So, Chrom in Ike out?

EDIT: Guys correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I'm wrong)

But didn't Sakurai say he's not really focused on having a large roster, and suggested that this games roster won't even be as big as Brawls?

:-(

EDIT 2: Lol, also.

Which version of Link and company do you guys think we'll get? Will it be the upcoming versions?

I really hope we get good alts this time, it's one of the things PS All-Stars did well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I want unlockable character intros, taunts, win poses, and victory themes.

We already have 3 taunts and victory poses though, and victory themes are kinda iconic that I really doubt they need to change them. And while intros are cool I think they're fine.

That's why despite the amount they have in PSA I felt they were... shallow... because they didn't really add much to the character, like it's not part of them.

KevinCow

Banned
We already have 3 taunts and victory poses though, and victory themes are kinda iconic that I really doubt they need to change them. And while intros are cool I think they're fine.

That's why despite the amount they have in PSA I felt they were... shallow... because they didn't really add much to the character, like it's not part of them.

They seem shallow because most of them just frankly aren't very good. Doesn't mean the idea isn't sound.

Smash could give you 3 default taunts and 3 unlockables, and let you assign which 3 you want to use. It could give you a number of victory poses, and let you decide their frequency the same way you choose music frequency in Brawl.

For victory music, I think there are a lot more possibilities than the ones they use. For example, the Mario characters all use the Mario 1 victory theme, when pretty much every game in the series has a unique victory theme. Why not let me choose the Mario World or 64 themes if I want?

Are you proposing that Sakurai put in alternate themes that you can unlock? So something like playing the victory theme form SSB instead of SSB4? Cash in on the nostalgia?

BTW Toon Link should have gotten a taunt that makes him hid in a barrel. And he should have also been able to crawl. The whole execution just seems really sloppy in retrospect.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They seem shallow because most of them just frankly aren't very good. Doesn't mean the idea isn't sound.

Smash could give you 3 default taunts and 3 unlockables, and let you assign which 3 you want to use. It could give you a number of victory poses, and let you decide their frequency the same way you choose music frequency in Brawl.

For victory music, I think there are a lot more possibilities than the ones they use. For example, the Mario characters all use the Mario 1 victory theme, when pretty much every game in the series has a unique victory theme. Why not let me choose the Mario World or 64 themes if I want?

Hmm I concede then. PSA just left an awful taste on that department.

SmithnCo

Doesn't help that everyone skips the intros anyway, and using a taunt in PSASBR usually results in people sucker punching you because they're too damn long. I wouldn't mind if it was in Smash 4, though I don't think it's too necessary as there are already three taunts.

I do want more profile card customization, but with how it was started in Brawl and every fighting game doing it now, that'll probably happen.

I think alternate costumes are by and large the most important prospective unlockable here, without getting into gameplay-altering things like KI:U-inspired weapons.

I mean, a few costumes are already more than just palette swaps with things like the Pokemon hats/glasses and Wario's overalls, so going the extra mile shouldn't be hard at all.

Spa Pool Palutena here we come! ;)

Man, I'm hyped for that contest. Though, I can't make a roster entirely based on likelihood; it just ain't fun that way. :v

I waaant

Dixie Kong
Captain Syrup
Victini/6th gen Pokemon
Tingle
Ridley
Palutena
Starfy
Isaac
Chrom/Avatar
Andy
Little Mac
King Hippo
Samurai Goroh
Shulk
Ray Mk III
Mach Rider
Takamaru

Gattuso

I hope they do make alternate costumes for everyone that way Mario could be dr.mario or ____ character can look like themselves from ____ game.
I also think we need another character like samus/zss or Zelda/sheik and that character should be
mewtwo

I hope they do make alternate costumes for everyone that way Mario could be dr.mario or ____ character can look like themselves from ____ game.
I also think we need another character like samus/zss or Zelda/sheik and that character should be
mewtwo

They honestly seriously need to do that. Classic Wario, Dr. Mario, Skyward Zelda/Link, etc.

KevinCow

Banned
Doesn't help that everyone skips the intros anyway, and using a taunt in PSASBR usually results in people sucker punching you because they're too damn long. I wouldn't mind if it was in Smash 4, though I don't think it's too necessary as there are already three taunts.

Yeah. But since the intros in Smash happen during the 3 2 1, and taunts aren't usually way too long, you'd actually get to see those things.

I do want more profile card customization, but with how it was started in Brawl and every fighting game doing it now, that'll probably happen.

Maybe my memory's just not working right, but... huh?

I think alternate costumes are by and large the most important prospective unlockable here, without getting into gameplay-altering things like KI:U-inspired weapons.

I mean, a few costumes are already more than just palette swaps with things like the Pokemon hats/glasses and Wario's overalls, so going the extra mile shouldn't be hard at all.

Spa Pool Palutena here we come! ;)

Yeah, alternate costumes are obviously the biggest thing. I just assume it goes without saying at this point.

Costumes would also make great DLC, so long as they do it more the PABR way than the Capcom way. And by that, I mean:

- At least one alt costume for every character before DLC.

- Alt costumes have palette swaps just like default costumes.

- The DLC is actually something released after the game comes out, not something that's already on the disc but locked away.

Gattuso

what version of the game is everyone planning on getting?
I'm going to double dip but i'll be getting the wii u version first or both at the same time if I can. there's still a lot of time before this ever comes out so anything can happen but that's my plan for now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I were to choose one it would be the Wii U. It will probably a visually impressive game so I want to be wowed by it.

That and it's been confirmed the Wii U version will have latin opera renditions of all the themtunes from the represented games.

You've gotta go for the double dip, Smash for at home and on a cruise ship.
Wii U takes priority if money is tight, maybe wait for the other to drop in price and then i'll bite.

I don't even remember being able to set an avatar or anything.

did you forget the dojo update with "Real Men Use Items"?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That would be the perfect subtitle for the next (if it ever happens) Dojo thread. Though I suppose "You must recover" is less provocative.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You've gotta go for the double dip, Smash for at home and on a cruise ship.
Wii U takes priority if money is tight, maybe wait for the other to drop in price and then i'll bite.

did you forget the dojo update with "Real Men Use Items"?

I'm definitely will double dip because I'm sure that 3DS and Wii U version will be different.

That would be the perfect subtitle for the next (if it ever happens) Dojo thread. Though I suppose "You must recover" is less provocative.

Well, I'm hoping to use new quotes for SSB4 because there is no way that i would use Brawl's meme for SSB4 /OT./

I don't know what should we use for Dojo 4 but I hope something from SSB4 trailer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I said it was for the Dojo thread not the game's OT. Can't really use a quote in a title when the quotes don't exist yet. But it's far too early to discuss this. If a countdown appears then a thread can be made for it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well I said it was for the Dojo thread not the game's OT. Can't really use a quote in a title when the quotes don't exist yet. But it's far too early to discuss this. If a countdown appears then a thread can be made for it.

That's why I said this,

I don't know what should we use for Dojo 4 but I hope something from SSB4 trailer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I guess we have to hope for a Snake equivalent then because he's the one who provided all the lines in Brawl's initial trailer.

Otherwise Dojo U |OT| Yahoo, HURAHH, Pika Pika, Hiii~! isn't really going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom