• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We should have a bragging right contest who make an accurate character list but there is a problem which we don't know how many characters that will be in ssb4.

Along with other problem, we don't know if they are going to do SSB4 or SSB3DS first.

I am thinking about running it for good. I think we should have a deadline which would be before June 2012. (Before e3 2012.)

However, I need a help with rules.

How many characters as maximum?
I think 45-50 is being reasonable.

How many third party slots?
I would say, 2 or 3

I would like to include stage prediction as well but I am not sure what purpose it would serve. Maybe in case if we have draw. I'm not sure.

Sayah

...There's no words.

What exactly would be wrong with including Goku? Apparently not having origins as a video game character makes that character ineligible to be included in Smash Bros? If that's the case, then why do we have Pikachu, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer and the like in Smash Bros? They are not originally video game characters and appear from an anime. Please explain.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Even cross-overs need limits. Otherwise you end up with dumb shit like Cole in SFxT.

Psssh, limits? What limits?

I guess I've seen the deep end of the fandom that somehow I can classify the general worst things about the stupidity spouting from their mouths :lol

What exactly would be wrong with including Goku? Apparently not having origins as a video game character makes that character ineligible to be included in Smash Bros? If that's the case, then why do we have Pikachu, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer and the like in Smash Bros? They are not originally video game characters and appear from an anime. Please explain.

Wait, you don't know they came from a game first?

Not sure if trolling or serious...

likeGdid

I still find myself listening to the entire Brawl soundtrack. It's like, 8 hours of music or something which is nice for marathon projects. It's very mixed. I dislike basically all of Captain Falcon's game music, for instance, except for a couple of tracks which are really awesome (Fire Field and one other?).
Definitely mixed, although it gets quite a few merit points for the amount of pieces overall. Melee's orchestral soundtrack, although short, was consistantly amazing.
I remember being pretty disappointed in the Metroid selection, which I was looking forward to the most. Although dat hard-hitting Ridley theme was pretty awesome.
EDIT:
Oh, come on. This should have been a dead give-away that it's trolling.

qq more

..Y-You're not serious, are you? :|

Wow.

Boss Doggie

I'd love a character guessing contest.

Honestly I wouldn't mind revealing all characters but in silhouettes. With each specific day we get to see them revealed.

But then again a lot of the characters are like TF2 cast - easily recognizable silhouettes.

PKrockin

And for music? THIS needs to be in the game somewhere unless a new Pokemon game is out by then

Imagine if this started playing on the last minute/stock in a match where a Black/White song was chosen.

And we need those instrumental flourishes when an enemy gets hit in the Zelda series too.

How about adding a black character for once:

141.jpg

Big One

Banned
Here's what I personally want:

Little Mac
Takamaru
Ghirahim
Waluigi
Prince Fluff
Dragon Quest Hero
Ganondorf (new moveset)
Black Shadow (Ganondorf's old moveset revamp)
Mewtwo (make him playable)
Roy (new moveset)

What we'll probably see:

Zoroark
6th gen Pokemon
Fire Emblem new protagonist
2 Kid Icarus: Uprising characters
Toon Zelda

Sayah

Sakurai said it. Must be from a video game first, and must be in a Nintendo console first.

How long ago was that? That philosophy doesn't seem very reasonable. Then that also means there can't be any Sora in Smash Bros.
He best have had his mind changed by now.

fisheyes

Actually it does make it right. Like I said, it ruins the theme and the idea in general. Like, you're in this themed Greek toga party, then one of the guests brought someone who is wearing 70's outfit. It was fine enough. Then the next toga party you see twenty of them since apparently it's all right. It's a smudge in the theme.

I don't want to get involved in this pissing match, but has it ever been stated that the aim was to make a Nintendo fighter, rather than that simply being what it eventually happened to become? When the idea first came up to turn Sakurai's original fighter into a crossover mascot brawler do you honestly think Sakurai thought "yes, now I can fulfill my dream of making a game with and only with Nintendo characters"?

The fact that Snake and Sonic are both in suggests the development team is not as close to being as concerned with this staying this way as some people seem to think they are. Yes, you can say that Snake only got in as a "favour", and Sonic only got in because the fans wanted him, but it was still ultimately up to the development team whether to implement it. If I'm writing a sequel to War and Peace, and my buddy / the fans of the previous books come up to me and ask me to include Jar Jar Binks, I don't have to do it. Doing so would cloud the vision that I have. If the Smash Bros games were only about being Nintendo focused, then neither of the two would have made it in, fan requests / favours or not.

Berordn

How long ago was that? That philosophy doesn't seem very reasonable. Then that also means there can't be any Sora in Smash Bros.

As long as they've been featured in a game on a Nintendo console, and they're first and foremost from a video game, they could be considered for inclusion. That was the rule of the poll for Brawl and it's reasonable and flexible enough that they would use it for every game. They could have Sora thanks to CoM, Days, Re:Coded and 3D.

qq more

No. Stop it. Mickey/Goku has no chance in SSB4. Why would they accept non-video game characters in it? Have you actually played Smash Bros? I mean... seriously....

Actually from general GAF opinions, I could say the same to you!

GENERAL GAF OPINIONS, HUH

Probably. But for entirely different reasons. :3

I don't want to get involved in this pissing match, but has it ever been stated that the aim was to make a Nintendo fighter, rather than that simply being what it eventually happened to become? When the idea first came up to turn Sakurai's original fighter into a crossover mascot brawler do you honestly think Sakurai thought "yes, now I can fulfill my dream of making a game with and only with Nintendo characters"?

The fact that Snake and Sonic are both in suggests the development team is not as close to being as concerned with this staying this way as some people seem to think they are. Yes, you can say that Snake only got in as a "favour", and Sonic only got in because the fans wanted him, but it was still ultimately up to the development team whether to implement it. If I'm writing a sequel to War and Peace, and my buddy / the fans of the previous books come up to me and ask me to include Jar Jar Binks, I don't have to do it. Doing so would cloud the vision that I have. If the Smash Bros games were only about being Nintendo focused, then neither of the two would have made it in, fan requests / favours or not.

The original plan didn't involve Nintendo character at all, I believe. Don't quote me on that, though. I think I read it in Brawl's Iwata Asks, but my memory is notoriously awful and prone to fill in blanks with false information.

EDIT: Not that that means anything at all, of course. Plans change, as is obvious by the direction they eventually took Smash Bros. Plans could change again. It all depends on circumstances. U:

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alright,

12 characters in SSB
25 characters in SSBM: 12 veterans and 14 newcomers (26 with Sheik)
35 characters in SSBB: 20 veterans and 15 newcomers (40 with Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur)

Weird thing, if you look at 40 characters, then we would have 18 new characters.

The original plan didn't involve Nintendo character at all, I believe. Don't quote me on that, though. I think I read it in Brawl's Iwata Asks, but my memory is notoriously awful and prone to fill in blanks with false information..

You are correct.

The title suppose to be Dragon King: The Fighting Game.

fisheyes

The original plan didn't involve Nintendo character at all, I believe. Don't quote me on that, though. I think I read it in Brawl's Iwata Asks, but my memory is notoriously awful and prone to fill in blanks with false information..

No, I'm 99% certain you are right. What I mean is, when the idea finally came up to turn it into a crossover fighter, I doubt the intention was for it to necessarily be Nintendo only, its just that at that point in time, this was the best way to go. In other words, I'm sure that if the creators of Snake, Sonic, Megaman, whatever approached the team at this point (obviously ignoring the fact some of this would have been impossible), the first Smash, I think, would have almost certainly featured them. I really really doubt they would have gone "No. Get out of here. This is a Nintendo only fighting game".

I mean, you can't say that for sure, I know, but surely.

Boss Doggie

The game wasn't originally to star Smash Bros. but rather different, original characters. They decided to turn them into Nintendo characters however to increase selling point. It became a Nintendo fighter however, since that transformation.

And yes, the two were included. But like I said, they were very minor that in the end you can pretty much still see the whole party as being Nintendo with guests. However you have people pretty much asking the roster to be 75% third party, which is stupid and nonsensical. Yes, I am exaggerating (the closest is 50%), but it does paint a picture on what sort of bizarre idea they are trying to show.

I'm not saying 3rd parties are bad - I'm saying that they should be treated as they are - guests. A lot of people seem to forget that and assume that they can pretty much chug in a lot of shit they can think of.

Sayah

No. Stop it. Mickey/Goku has no chance in SSB4. Why would they accept non-video game characters in it? Have you actually played Smash Bros? I mean... seriously....

I've played all 3 Smash Bros. I don't see why people would have a problem with including non-video game characters that have nonetheless starred in some quality games. It's not like Mickey has only appeared in some shovelware spin-off movie game. In any case, to each his own.

There are mods out there.

Sora in Super Smash Bros.
I had Brawl Plus for a little while but I got rid of Homebrew shortly afterwards. It's using Marth's moveset, though. :/

Big One

Banned
The original plan didn't involve Nintendo character at all, I believe. Don't quote me on that, though. I think I read it in Brawl's Iwata Asks, but my memory is notoriously awful and prone to fill in blanks with false information.

EDIT: Not that that means anything at all, of course. Plans change, as is obvious by the direction they eventually took Smash Bros. Plans could change again. It all depends on circumstances. U:
Well the thing is that I think if the franchise ever introduced characters like Goku, James Bond, or whatever then pretty much anything could happen. Which is neat and all, but keeps this very inconsistent level and deviates from the original purpose.

Snake and Sonic while they got representation they were still guest characters, the majority of Brawl focused on Nintendo history so it still keep it's core purpose.

Even then, if Smash Bros. would stick to something, it has to be video games. We can't crossover anime, movies, TV shows, whatever too cause thematically it would just clash with the game's aesthetic.

Now if this game was titled: Nintendo vs. Sega: Super Smash Bros. 4 then yeah there would be different expectations there and that would be understandable. But I doubt that'll happen anytime soon cause fans will still demand to see characters like Megaman in the game.

qq more

The game wasn't originally to star Smash Bros. but rather different, original characters. They decided to turn them into Nintendo characters however to increase selling point. It became a Nintendo fighter however, since that transformation.

And yes, the two were included. But like I said, they were very minor that in the end you can pretty much still see the whole party as being Nintendo with guests. However you have people pretty much asking the roster to be 75% third party, which is stupid and nonsensical. Yes, I am exaggerating (the closest is 50%), but it does paint a picture on what sort of bizarre idea they are trying to show.

I'm not saying 3rd parties are bad - I'm saying that they should be treated as they are - guests. A lot of people seem to forget that and assume that they can pretty much chug in a lot of shit they can think of.

Thank you. This honestly needed to be said. I don't really get how people have such a hard time believing 3rd parties are more like guest characters.

I've played all 3 Smash Bros. I don't see why people would have a problem with including non-video game characters that have nonetheless starred in some quality games. It's not like Mickey has only appeared in some shovelware spin-off movie game. In any case, to each his own.
Because it's not gonna happen and seriously believing Mickey has a chance is ridiculous.

fisheyes

Is anyone asking for 50% third party characters, though? There were 33 Nintendo characters in Brawl (not including the transformations and the like) and 2 third party ones, I sincerely doubt anybody wants 31 new third party characters to bring that up to balance. The most I've ever seen is people asking for 50% of the new characters to be third party, and even thats not all that common.

You can still keep the game Nintendo focused AND bring in a half dozen new third party characters. Thats what I would like to see, personally. It doesn't need to overwhelm the whole thing, but just having one or two again seems pointless.

Throavium

I wouldn't have a problem with this idea at all if the game was originally called, "Any character from the cartoon, anime, and video game forms of entertainment fighter".

We can talk about it all we want, which isn't a problem, but the probability of something like this actually happening is small right now, until something is announced about the game by someone who is involved with the game.

AntMurda

The original Super Mario Kart and Super Mario Sunshine did not feature Mario characters. The originaly Kirby Tilt N Tumble did not feature Kirby. Many prototype - early game concepts concentrate on the the template more so than finalized characters and themes. But Smash Bros is a "Nintendo fighting game" more so than "random video character fighting game". It has an identity. It is part of the reason people love it so much. Because of all the Nintendo lore and history.

There are still several popular and niche characters and worlds from Nintendo that have not been represented.

Javier

Sakurai specifically stated that he won't include characters that didn't originate as video game characters (Lucario kinda breaks the rule, but he was created with the games in mind, and his movie debut was more of an early promo).

Big One

Banned
I knew this would happen again. A lot of people expecting off the wall characters for Brawl too, years ago, and lo and behold, none of them came. The cycle continues today. Keep exceptions in check, as Mickey Mouse, Goku, Sora, Sephiroth, Yugi Muto will never be in a Smash Bros. game, period

Because it's not gonna happen and seriously believing Mickey has a chance is ridiculous.

I don't think we're talking about what we believe. Just general wishlists. Is that so wrong, given some of the other ridiculous, disgusting shit has gone on in this thread?

(Note that I've expressed no similar wishes. The only characters I have explicitly stated that I desire are Slime Knight riding a Chocobo (mostly jokingly) and Skullkid (completely seriously).)

Big One said:
Well the thing is that I think if the franchise ever introduced characters like Goku, James Bond, or whatever then pretty much anything could happen. Which is neat and all, but keeps this very inconsistent level and deviates from the original purpose.

Snake and Sonic while they got representation they were still guest characters, the majority of Brawl focused on Nintendo history so it still keep it's core purpose.

Even then, if Smash Bros. would stick to something, it has to be video games. We can't crossover anime, movies, TV shows, whatever too cause thematically it would just clash with the game's aesthetic.

Now if this game was titled: Nintendo vs. Sega: Super Smash Bros. 4 then yeah there would be different expectations there and that would be understandable. But I doubt that'll happen anytime soon cause fans will still demand to see characters like Megaman in the game.
I guess I'm different from all you Nintendo fanboys* in that I only care if the characters included are fun and worthwhile, not whether or not they stay true to the immaculate purity of Nintendooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Fuck that shit. I play this game because it's fun to play and I get some stupid nerd fantasy bullshit of Mario versus Link played out a million times on my TV screen. These two characters have jack-all to do with each other, outside of sharing the same creator, and yet, there they are. Swordsman versus plumber. Versus electric rat versus speedy hedgehog versus guy with bandana versus whatever. None of it matters as long as it's fun.

If people would seriously be bothered by the inclusion of Megaman, Slime, Rayman, Pac-man, or whatever, then they need to reevaluate their lives, because they've got issues.

*I guess I should really stop using this phrase, as I don't necessarily mean it in an insulting manner, even though it's always going to come off as such. I just don't know how else to describe this attitude. Smash fanboy? Is that more appropriate?

Mistle

imo they need to keep non-nintendo characters to a bare minimum. no more than 2 or 3, like brawl.

Togglesworlh said:
If people would seriously be bothered by the inclusion of Megaman, Slime, Rayman, Pac-man, or whatever, then they need to reevaluate their lives, because they've got issues.
Your entire post above makes you seem like you have more issues than those you're accusing.

qq more

I have no issues with wanting 3rd party characters outside of Snake and Sonic. I just hate it when people have unrealistic expectations and asks for Mickey. Like... come on.

On a side note: Togglesworlh, a Slime Knight would actually be a cool idea for a Dragon Quest rep. Slime is very iconic to the franchise, and having a Slime Knight would give it good potential for a moveset!

Personally, I wouldn't mind MegaMan. He's my top wanted 3rd party character... but I doubt Capcom is gonna include him knowing how they've been treating his franchise lately. :(

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have no issues with wanting 3rd party characters outside of Snake and Sonic. I just hate it when people have unrealistic expectations and asks for Mickey. Like... come on.

On a side note: Togglesworlh, a Slime Knight would actually be a cool idea for a Dragon Quest rep. Slime is very iconic to the franchise, and having a Slime Knight would give it good potential for a moveset!

Nothing against Dragon Quest seris. I would love to see Crono or Geno. I know they have very slim chance to be in.

Slime from Dragon Quest are more likely than Crono and Geno.

qq more

Nothing against Dragon Quest seris. I would love to see Crono or Geno. I know they have very slim chance to be in.

Slime from Dragon Quest are more likely than Crono and Geno.

If Geno gets in, he might count more as a Mario rep than a SE rep. So I think it'd be okay if they can get away with a SE character + Geno in the roster. I can be wrong though.

And yeah, you're right. DQ has a higher chance than CT.

Boss Doggie

The original Super Mario Kart and Super Mario Sunshine did not feature Mario characters. The originaly Kirby Tilt N Tumble did not feature Kirby. Many prototype - early game concepts concentrate on the the template more so than finalized characters and themes. But Smash Bros is a "Nintendo fighting game" more so than "random video character fighting game". It has an identity. It is part of the reason people love it so much. Because of all the Nintendo lore and history.

Like I said, it wasn't a Nintendo fighter at first, but pretty much became that identity the moment it was sold... wait a minute, why are you quoting me when we share the same idea? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom