• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Does Nintendo own Captain N? There's also the question of whether people in Japan would even know that character, lol.

Paper Mario is one of my most wanted characters, if done right he could be very unique.

He can be very unique character.

He can use his hammer and become paper airplane.

PKrockin

Was Lucario really that prominent in Gen IV? I beat Pearl when it came out and I hardly remembered the guy so his inclusion was really surprising to me. Was he really important in the anime or something?

SmithnCo

When I think of Gen V I think of Victini, but I think he has too much crossover with Pikachu in the "cute rodent character" area.

I would like to see Mewtwo return, still one of my favs and a good villain character.

Was Lucario really that prominent in Gen IV? I beat Pearl when it came out and I hardly remembered the guy so his inclusion was really surprising to me. Was he really important in the anime or something?

As I said, he was extremely important to marketing and had a movie coming out before the actual games.

Brawl and D/P came out around a similar time, (I think D/P came out later actually..) so Lucario got in purely by being PkMn's new media mascot.

He's not important in the games at all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've been playing some brawl lately, and, wow, I forgot how mindfuckingly horrible final smashes are. What the FUCK were they thinking? Someone like diddy or sonic, who by all rights has an easier time getting the smash ball than almost anyone else, can almost kill everyone twice, while other characters have basically WORTHLESS smashes like peach and DK. Didn't Sakurai say he did all the character balancing himself?

You can turn final smashes off...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If I remember correctly Smash and pokemon D/P came out around a very very similar time and because of that one of the only new PkMn that had any media significance from the D/P generation was Lucario.

D/P came out in September 2006, Brawl came out January 2008 (in Japan.) Even still, D/P were the latest games "in" Brawl (as in, the characters and stages.)

NeonZ

I can tell you, the moment it'd become apparent that easy-as-pie clones like Pichu or Dr.Mario would come back in a new Smash game, it'd completely and utterly change my roster expectations entirely, because rather than relevance being a deciding factor, it'd be easy clonage.

I hope they use clones as unlockable characters again... Brawl's unlockable roster was kind of underwhelming due to most of them being returning characters. At least, with clones, we'd have gotten a bunch of new faces. A new Smash probably will go through the same problem if they don't use clones. They'll need to promote new faces with the game to market it, so most unlockables will be most likely just returning characters again... unless they include clones and sneak in new secret characters through them.

If something like this happens I think it could have significant impact on Zoroark's chances of inclusion, even if he is "The Lucario" of his generation.

I wonder if there's any chance at all of a second Pokemon Trainer as the representative?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

yeah, anime.

Here is the list of characters that I would like to see

Kaptain Kool
Krystal (with Tricky Final Smash)
Isaac/Matthew/Felix/any Golden Sun characters
Takamaru
Laughing Dog
Ridley
Little Mac/King Hippo
King Fluff
Tom Nook
Geno (Shush, I love Mario RPG)
Shulk
Medusa/Magus (I know Sakurai might add one more character because he might grow a connection to the series.)

I think Sonic will return to fight again. Come on... Sonic and Mario are in same game for 4th time. I don't think they are going to stop yet. (I don't care if Sonic didn't make in or not. I loathe to play as him in regular brawl.)

I am not sure about Roy and Mewtwo returning. I can see Mewtwo as more likely because they ran out of time with Brawl. Roy and Mewtwo are two out of six characters that got left out.

I know I forget some characters but that's it for now.

You can turn final smashes off...

Maybe he wants to like final smashes though?

Your reply is fitting if someone just hates final smashes in general, but I kinda know where he's coming from. It's stupid if turning a game feature on completely ruins the balance for certain characters.

Heck, y'know a thing that pisses me off? DK's final smash can lead to accidental suicides on his own damn stage, what sort of game design is that?

D/P came out in September 2006, Brawl came out January 2008 (in Japan.) Even still, D/P were the latest games "in" Brawl (as in, the characters and stages.)

Ahh damn I read that 6 as an 8, no wonder it felt weird to me, I could swear D/P was older than Brawl.

qq more

yeah, anime.

Here is the list of characters that I would like to see

Kaptain Kool
Krystal (with Tricky Final Smash)
Isaac/Matthew/Felix/any Golden Sun characters
Takamaru
Laughing Dog
Ridley
Little Mac/King Hippo
King Fluff
Tom Nook
Geno (Shush, I love Mario RPG)
Shulk

I think Sonic will return to fight again. Come on... Sonic and Mario are in same game for 4th time. I don't think they are going to stop yet. (I don't care if Sonic didn't make in or not. I loathe to play as him in regular brawl.)

I am not sure about Roy and Mewtwo returning. I can see Mewtwo as more likely because they ran out of time with Brawl. Roy and Mewtwo are two out of six characters that got left out.

I know I forget some characters but that's it for now.
Are you people actually serious when you add the laughing dog to your wishlists? How would that even work? Like... no offense but I always thought people only jokingly add that character to their wishlists but now I am not so sure anymore...

SmithnCo

They'd have to get pretty creative but Laughing Dog could work as a bizarre character like Game and Watch or ROB. He'd have to use ducks and clay pigeons in his moves.

I don't know if Nintendo actually considers it viable (or remembers this character lol) though, I'd expect Balloon Fighter before Dog.

I hope they use clones as unlockable characters again... Brawl's unlockable roster was kind of underwhelming due to most of them being returning characters. At least, with clones, we'd have gotten a bunch of new faces. A new Smash probably will go through the same problem if they don't use clones. They'll need to promote new faces with the game to market it, so most unlockables will be most likely just returning characters again... unless they include clones and sneak in new secret characters through them.

I'd be fine with clones if it meant a substantial boost to the roster & if they were interesting clones.

I love me clones that are so different in weight & effect (stuff like fire/electric damage from swords etc) that it does add an extremely different playstyle to the field.

Easy additions and not just a boring "skin change".

I'd only like this if the addition of clones do, as you said, lead to a significant increase in roster size.

I'm open to a lot of things though, there's a lot of incredibly different ways the next Smash could have an incredible roster ... sadly there's also a large number of ways it could be really lame.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Are you people actually serious when you add the laughing dog to your wishlists? How would that even work? Like... no offense but I always thought people only jokingly add that character to their wishlists but now I am not so sure anymore...

None taken. I am serious. I already have his moveset ready in my mind, and someone else made the moveset with art. Only 5 moves tho.

Uh yes?

Laughing Dog would be hilarious. Ducks, clay pigeons, rifles. His taunt is obvious. His final smash could be like Snake's, but with less explosions, more/faster shots? I dunno.

Boney

Banned
assist07_070911a.jpg

how little mac didn't make the roster blows my mind, should have had the "retro" pack of characters with Rob and Little mac, also mach rider (captain falcon triple clone) :p

I think the main reason why I never gave a shit about the Assist Trophies not being playable was because I didn't play most of the obscure titles a lot of them came from.

I never cared or heard about Fire Emblem until Melee, and still don't
Never cared about Golden Sun
Played Punch-Out a few times but never really cared about Mac because I liked Super Punch-Out more
I still don't know where that drill girl comes from.
Never heard of Sin and Punishment, or whatever that game is called
Only saw Stafy in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

I could go on.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
But...he’s weak?

I think it's random. It almost ko me once which surprised me. I don't know what happens but I decided to try to hit it for lol.

I think the main reason why I never gave a shit about the Assist Trophies not being playable was because I didn't play most of the obscure titles a lot of them came from.

Played Punch-Out a few times but never really cared about Mac because I liked Super Punch-Out more

I could go on.

Damn...

I knew like 90% of them. I think only one AT that I am not aware of was Saki and Barbara.

PKrockin

The Dojo may have spoiled a lot of Brawl for me, but man was it fun. Seeing every update live, over-analyzing every post, changing predictions every week, the delicious tears... I don't regret it at all.

qq more

Half of the AT characters should be playable in SSB4. Little Mac, Lyn, Saki, Jill, Waluigi (ESPECIALLY WALUIGI! WAAAA) and Issac. Those have the best potential as playable characters.

I'm fine with the other half of ATs staying as is. (Except replace Shadow with Tails. Fuck Shadow.)

Boney

Banned

I could go on.

you're the gift that keeps on giving

how are you so terrible

you're the gift that keeps on giving

how are you so terrible

Because a lot of those games are obscure/from Japan/outright awful and I wasn't going to pay $100+ just so some people on the internet think I'm cool for playing a game? Besides, those are only the ATs that I thought of off the top of my head.

Boney

Banned
Because a lot of those games are obscure/from Japan/outright awful and I wasn't going to pay $100+ just so some people on the internet think I'm cool for playing a game? Besides, those are only the ATs that I thought of off the top of my head.

but they're all amazing games other than starfy >.>

and none of those is japan only

your shitty excuse makes you even worse

a true gaf villian

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Golden Sun 1 - 3 released in US and Little Mac is in Super Punch Out. I don't blame you for other japanese exclusive characters.

Also for people who want to see Jimmy T movesets.

How about a Robotnik AT then?

...Wonder how that would work and why he would even help you.

He could just spread monitors around so people could crack them open and get stuff. Or imprison the other players in those end-of-the-level devices like in Sonic 1-3.
but they're all amazing games other than starfy >.>

and none of those is japan only

your shitty excuse makes you even worse

a true gaf villian
woh1B.gif

Golden Sun 1 - 3 released in US and Little Mac is in Super Punch Out. I don't blame you for other japanese exclusive characters.
I knew about Golden Sun, which is why I didn't include it in my list. And Little Mac wasn't in my version of Super Punch-Out, it was just some blonde guy.

Big One

Banned

I could go on.
This is because you have failed as a gamer on every level possible

Game Freak's only non-Pokemon game in the last two decades.

You shame your fellow fandom.
If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, etc.
That blonde guy is Little Mac. :lol

He dyed his hairs.
I demand proof. Blonde Dude is not Mac, he doesn't even have the same hairstyle!
This is because you have failed as a gamer on every level possible
Because I haven't heard of them? Keep thinking that.

Bentendo

Who are we expecting to represent Pokemon Generation V? I think going into Brawl a lot of people expected Lucario but I can't really think of a 'mon from Black/White that is the "mascot". I think Nintendo was trying to make Zoroark the main Pokemon everyone remembered from Gen V but I don't think it worked out very well, and I CERTAINLY hope it's not the one they choose for SSB. Honestly I'm kind of hoping for Axew.

Who are we expecting to represent Pokemon Generation V? I think going into Brawl a lot of people expected Lucario but I can't really think of a 'mon from Black/White that is the "mascot". I think Nintendo was trying to make Zoroark the main Pokemon everyone remembered from Gen V but I don't think it worked out very well, and I CERTAINLY hope it's not the one they choose for SSB. Honestly I'm kind of hoping for Axew.

If not Zoroark, then Scrafty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom